• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool (Sturridge)

JimmyG37

TIA New Signing
leopoldfrank said:
One last thing. Anyone else surprising themselves by actually starting to like the new away kit?
Not me. It's a pity because it would be a decent kit were it not for the goofy design towards the bottom.

I am starting to warm up a little to the 3rd kit.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The white is fine when your watching them play in it, that 3rd is just confusing....

On reflection on the game we tried to nullify the counter attack threat but our passing went second half even when they put pressure on in the final 10 of the first half it was there, in the second we just kept lofting it in the air when against any side especially Villa it doesn't work however saying all that we limited them to very little and when they did get a chance Mignolet was spot on.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
We're back in the title race! Finally!

Even a certified pessimist like ed has to turn into an optimist now.

I don't care if it's 1-0 or 2-0 as long as we win.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Fell asleep around the 50th minute and woke up in the 89th (by which time it was about 3:15 a.m. here). Looks like I dodged one there. But at least I have the memory of the excellent performance in (most of) the first half.

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
The third kit looks ok from around 100m away where the cameras are, zooming in causes problems for me.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
Have to say that goal was absolute class, and that's what happens when you have quality like Sturridge and Coutinho up front. Otherwise I wasn't surprised to see us lose control because we weren't actually moving the ball with any kind of pace or urgency. Was glad to see us defend well but we certainly dodged a couple bullets (Gabby's shinned volley).

Awesome to see Gerrard defending like that. Midfield didn't have a great match and seemed liked they were a bit out of it today but they fought hard even though their touch and passing was all over the place, and I'm not sure if we've seen that in the past couple of years.

Fantastic result. Have to get scrappy wins like that, but we must improve. I'm sure the same was being said in the dressing room.

Oh and Sturridge is a top top player. Finish was class and I even saw him covering at right back once. Those people that lambasted him over being selfish should have a look at this match. The man has grown, he's fighting for the team.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
3 point, clean shit, what more can you ask ?

we are to reliant on coutinho. niether aspas nor hendo contributed anything in the way of creating chances, taking on defenders, taking shots from distance or doing something.
the best way to relieve pressure is by creating pressure on the opposition. we didn't do anything of the sort in the second half.

didn't understand BR changes. could have sent in either borini or sterling instead of aspas or coutinho.

gerrard MOTM, was just everywhere.

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
Looks to me that we need a DM as well as a centre back or a left winger, Lucas was very weak yesterday and we need some competition and backup in this spot.

We just lost the middle of the pitch yesterday, Villa were in complete control in the second half

Defuz

I enjoyed the show for the first 30, but wanted so desperately to see more penetration in that final third and more shots on goal. Far too much domination without an end result to show for it. Coutinho was awesome at times, but trying to be too clever or not on the same page as everyone else for spells. Sturridge earned his paycheck and then some. Obviously for another game winning goal, but also for his defensive work in the final 20 minutes. Toure has to be the steal of the transfer window. If we'd have paid 10-15mil for him, or even more, I'd be saying how he's proving his worth. SG showed why he's the leader of this team. Toure for MOM.

I'm hoping for a couple more signatures before the deadline. 6 points is a great start. I'm ecstatic!

dxb_red

2 games, 6 points, 0 goals conceded, 0 injuries, 0 bites...

happy days... :cheers:

particularly as Stoke and Villa away are exactly the type of games we would have drawn in recent seasons...we've struggled every time we've played teams with big, powerful center forwards, and benteke is probably the biggest and most powerful forward in the prem right now, and he's in top, top form at the minute, so to keep a clean sheet against him is a real testament to Migs and the CB's...

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
What an unhappy lot are us fans... Even 3 points doesn't satisfy us...
I wonder if they prefer 1 point from a game we utterly dominate...

alaskared

Kloppite
3 points is 3 points.
Toure is a great signing. Mignolet too. Man love for Couthino, even though he wasn't at his best today. Sturridge skill for that goal was exceptional.

A few things were not so good today, but the really, really scary one was that we only had 1 shot on target.

That said , good job on putting another 3 points in the bag, for better or for worse ( entertainment) that is what it is all about.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I am happy with the 3 points but of course most of the fans are just pointing out that obviously our tactics and personnel are not water tight. We obviously would need reinforcements in an area or two. Especially in the attacking wide areas. Perhaps against a much more ruthless team like Man City or Man Utd, they would have gotten at least a goal or two. But its is a pleasure to see us grinding out 1-0 wins, defending with grit. But to progress further, we need to be more watertight with our tactics.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
They say lightning doesn't strikes twice, well mignolet and sturridge do!
1game at a time. 3 points at a time.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
Daniel Sturridge has been brilliant for us since we signed him from Chelsea. His quick feets, grat avarnes, pace and skills gives him great potensial. He is allready a very goo player - But he can get almost unstoppable!

Has he got a song yet? He deserves one - a great one! SO he knows we support him and are behind him, like we are With Suarez With his can´t get enough. Daniel deserves more singing than Luis for the time beeing.

shachart said:
3 point, clean shit, what more can you ask ?

we are to reliant on coutinho. niether aspas nor hendo contributed anything in the way of creating chances, taking on defenders, taking shots from distance or doing something.
the best way to relieve pressure is by creating pressure on the opposition. we didn't do anything of the sort in the second half.

didn't understand BR changes. could have sent in either borini or sterling instead of aspas or coutinho.

gerrard MOTM, was just everywhere.
That's something new!

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Winning games and showing Suarez we are the real deal.This time last year we did not have Coutinho and Sturridge and what a difference they make.No Downing starting is a good sign too.And our options on the bench are better.

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
Fantastic first half even though we didnt create a lot of chances we kept the ball very well.
Didnt give them time on the ball closed down superbly.
We had great possesion fantastic 1 and 2 touch football.
If the opposition dont have the ball they cant hurt us.
Great move for the Goal Good feet from Sturridge but good shout for Coutinho to dummy it.
Just want to see us get other people in the goal scoring chances when Sturridge drops deep or goes wide coutinho or aspas Henderson Gerrard need to fill the space.
Second half we should have took control of the game again but showed we can defend as a unit and all the players help out.

Mingolet (Distrabution wasnt great but pushed close for motm match again couple of fantastics stops to save us from a draw or defeat looking very good signing excellent shot stopper)

Johnson (solid game end product wasnt as good had a few chances to punish them but made wrong decision)

Toure (very good game again excellent buy reads the game very well)

Agger ( very good solid good understanding already with Toure looking good pairing)

Enrique ( another goood game makes a lot of good runs links up well coutinho at times very strong defending)

Lucas (first half very good loads of pressuring breaking there play up second half not his best gave the ball away and to many fouls)

Gerrard ( excellent game read it very well important defending at times and movement and finding space and passes were quality)

Henderson ( worked his socks of for most of the game tracked back well to help Johnson out which was good to see but still need more from him but will get better with being in the side on a consistent bases)

Aspas ( looked good linking up with Sturridge and Coutinho well his movement is good)

Coutinho ( excellent first half dominated them they didnt know how to deal with his movement some of passes and touches were class above just a pitty the other players were not on the same wave length at times but that will come )

Sturridge (did it again won us the game along with Mingloet , fantastic goal worked really hard dropping back to help out in defending which is good to see starting to see him as a team player)

Ataturk

★★★★★
Tactically Rodgers had the right idea, just the execution wasn't quite right. We gave up too much control of the game but we still did prevent Villa from getting any counters in on us.

Though Brendan waited far too long to sub Coutinho, who was mostly a passenger. When Allen came on for him he helped us keep hold of the ball, or maybe Raheem could have come on to take advantage of the space behind the Villa defence.

Bleeding Red

TIA Squad Member
Be all and end all is we have 6 points from 6 before the Mancs come to town next week, and we can't ask for more than that. We wouldn't have ground out that result last year, would have finished at least at 1-1. In fact, how many games did we win 1-0? Not many I'm guessing. Point is, we look like we can scrap now, which is good. Gerrard put in a real shift, as did Lucas, but he looked like he was getting knocked off the ball too easily at times. Toure was good, apart from being bullied a couple of times by Benteke, but he won't be the last who gets pushed around by that man this year. Mignolet once again saved our asses, and Sturridge was superb. Aspas and Coutinho were barely in the game second half, but that happens on occasion when the team is under the cosh. They can't sparkle every game.

On a side note, if we keep winning, and Sturridge keeps scoring, then Rodgers also gets to tell Suarez he actually has to graft to get back in the team, and he won't be a shoe in to come straight back in. Sturridge has 7 goals in 6 games since he's been suspended. Seems to me like he plays better when Suarez is not about, and he's dovetailing with Coutinho every bit as well as Luis. Not to mention Sturridge's box of tricks for his goal was right out of the Suarez top draw.

koptician

We'll go again!
ChicagoRed said:
Sterling must start wide right vs scum. We can't have a black hole out there and be attacking with 10 men 9 minus the keeper. We can't seriously be expecting Lucas to play week in week out. No way. Need to buy/loan a DM more than a CB.
This is why I'm shocked we didn't get Wanyama. He looks like a steal for Southampton!

costared

TIA Reserve Team
koptician said:
This is why I'm shocked we didn't get Wanyama. He looks like a steal for Southampton!
Tempted to agree with that. One thing for sure we need a new DM.

koptician

We'll go again!
costared said:
Tempted to agree with that. One thing for sure we need a new DM.
If we're going to have second halves like yesterday then we most definitely need another DM. If Stevie had to work like that on a semi-regular basis his legs will be gone by December...and what if Lucas gets injured again?

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
Wanted to go back and watch the game again before I had my say

Read alot if the posters in here and the common theme for the most part was the horrible second half and the reasons why we looked so disjointed

BR has to be given a massive thumbs up for having the balls to play this type of scrappy football after we secured the lead.

Hear me out...

It was no accident and not a bad day at the office. That's our arrogance talking. Aston Villa are a clinical counter attack team that has put Arsenal and almost Chelsea (bad luck) to the sword and if it wasn't for this tactic a Liverpool scalp surely

As I watched the game for a second time there was no accident in the hoof balling and two banks of four holding it up. Gerrard wasn't playing to deep he was meant to. Sturbridge wasn't playing to deep he was meant to. Coutinho and Henderson weren't pushing creative forward football because they weren't supposed to.

There is no arrogance in this Brendan Rodgers fellow.

He knew what was required to get 3 points and it was going to take ugly, low brow football.
If you want to step out of the boxing ring and have a street fight, then a street fight is what you're going to get

I attach a photo of what can happen when your arrogance of being a "better team " gets the best of you.
image.jpg

Reactions: ptt

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
I've finally watched motd and will now give my tuppence worth.........we won, six points in two games and i don't care how we do it. :D

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I'm genuinely surprised about the some of the more negative views on here. I thought this was one of the best wins we've had under BR. We didn't play well but we were tough, resilient, determined and actually looked quite hard to break down despite the fact that Villa dominated possession in the second half.

I don't think you learn much from the four and five goal thrashings. It's games like that when you learn whether a team has got it in them to compete. And I think we learnt that it can from this game. Villa won't be anyone's mugs this season so this was a good result. No doubt about it. One or two players weren't on their game but we still won and that's all that matters. Sturridge was definitely on his game. Outstanding. Absolutely brilliantly taken goal and fantastic work rate throughout.

Urban Achiever

Just saw the highlights and how the referee didn't give Sturridge a penalty in the end is surely a mystery. If that's not a foul inside the box I don't know what is.

Mignolet.... holy sh*t he's looking like a good transfer. As a shot stopper he must be one of the best in the world right now.... he makes some insane fast-reaction-saves.
That save on Bentekes last chance was simply just phenomenal.

Kolo.... only difference in our back four and the defence has just gotten better.

Sturridge is a very, very good player and if he stays fit.... he's gonna score at least 20.

Looking good and let's be happy about and appreciate that we're getting these ugly wins we've gotten so used to losing or drawing. it's not necessarily the top 4 we have to beat to get in the top four.... if we beat the rest of the teams we'll come a long way for sure :)

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
leopoldfrank said:
Thank fuck for that (again). Still, 2 games, 6 points, 2 clean sheets. Delighted with that.
It might not have been a great game and it may have been a bit lucky but at the end of the day this type of game over the last few seasons would have been the type of game we would have contrived to loose, so it's a good to see us come out of it with a win and a clean sheet to boot. The team showed true grit and character yesterday and in the end wanted it more. The Keeper put in a good performance and Toure was strong at the back. Let's hope we can keep this up over the comming weeks and if we can add to the squad we may be well placed to take advantage of any slip ups from those who finished above us last season.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
If it was a deliberate tactic to defend deep then it worked except for one small detail. I would have brought Sterling on for Coutinho and played him up top. His pace would have been a real threat on the break and we might have sealed it earlier. All it would have taken was one decent ball over the top for him to chase to put the game to bed. Its a point that has been made before but I would start to think about using Raheem as a striker in these type of games.