• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool (Sturridge)

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Around the 35 minute mark, our play markedly changed. I can remember sitting here being quite annoyed by it.

But it was a Rafa-esque move by Brendan.

He knew that Villa had changed the way their shape in the midfield. Neville was talking about it the other day, the pivotal three in midfield. It just so happens that they changed their formation and mindset and the exact time we changed.

The reason we became less attacking and therefore much less impressive is that if we continued the way we were playing, we likely would have conceded against Villa on the counterattack. They're the vaunted counterattacking team of the league, and Brendan and the management staff know this.

Also, Lucas looked worse because there wasn't any outlet anymore. While half of his game is breaking up opposition play, the other half is instigating new attacking moves, and with the team pulled back defensively he had no-one to move it forwards. I suspect this threw him off a bit. Having said that, Stevie was able to cope magnificently.

Overall, an extremely intriguing game. Very impressive that we went out there, played brilliantly and got some reward for it (although a second would have been nice), and were able to hold on against a team that really gave Arsenal and Chelsea some problems.

Bring on the United. It shall be a very very good game.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
... great result. Everything that needs to be said about the performance has been said.

Would just add that if we had been awarded and scored the penalty we should have had at the end would people be complaining about the 2nd half performance or would BR be a genius for protecting and extending a lead?

Fine margins and all that.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Liveforthereds said:
Not untouchable, just pointingg out that it's always Lucas when there are 10 other players on the pitch, the second half there was pleaty to have a go at but that's not really being pucked up on. Lucas like anyother is not perfect but is first to get the stick and this goes back to when he first came. Just what has Lucas got to do for the fans to get off his back. He maynot have had a good second half but having said that not many did.
I've just grabbed the match in HD and I have some spare time today so I'm going to try do some good/bad for a few players in terms of defensive/attacking moves.

Lucas

I will take these scrappy 1-0 wins every day of the week. There are a multitude of reasons that they are far more beneficial than a 5-0 drubbing.

1). They keep us grounded.

2). They show our mental progression. We would have lost/drawn these last season.

3). It still indicates to the owners/BR that we need quality players. We are by no means the finished product yet.

4). We are showing solidity in defense, and can now better handle physical strikers a la Benteke.

5). We are forced to become more clinical in front of goal.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
No doubting, in both our games this season...Last season we'd have drawn them or as in the case of the Villa game, lost it.

Verbal80

I know a lot of people are concerned with our second half performance. Some will think we fell into that pattern as the course of the game took place. But I think it was a tactic (which Brendan did admit to doing).

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Nice to see a defensive game plan. Haven't seen one for a long time, well since Hodgson. But I enjoyed this one.
Enrique had a funny game, he seemed to be in everything first half. Lots more attack in his game. I wish Brendan pulled Sturridge off earlier, though looked exhausted from around 70mins+. Does Agger look for new ways to injure himself? He goes in for some strange balls. Toure is outshining him. Wonder if he"s trying too hard.

Verbal80

Verbal80 said:
I know a lot of people are concerned with our second half performance. Some will think we fell into that pattern as the course of the game took place. But I think it was a tactic (which Brendan did admit to doing).
I wrote this in the pre-match thread:

I think the best way to nullify a counter-attacking team is to keep possession.

I think against arsenal and Chelsea, villa played without pressure as they were underdogs, especially being away from home. But against us I think they'll be confident. Hopefully a bit over confident.

Out of their first four games, I'm sure they will see us as the easiest ones and are probably confident of getting three points. The Chelsea game won't damage their confidence as it was a tight affair and they'll feel a bit hard done by.

I think this is the first time I've read this amount of fear on these forums before playing Villa. I can understand from last season our apprehension before this game, but I think we can be confident ourselves. Being at home, villa will fancy their chances and try to get at us. They'll look to counter and then try and get on top of us and keep us penned in. This will leave them open to counters themselves. We need to reel them in, so to speak and counter ourselves. This will make them nervous so we can impose our own game. This is all early in the game, after 20mins or so one team will be playing THEIR game.

Defuz

Looking back with a couple of days to stew over the result, there's one stat that stands out as worrisome. Before I go there, I have to say how delighted I was with the result more so than worried with this or that.

Defensively, I saw a stronger team who continually frustrated Villa and show promise for future growth.

Sturridge continues to shine, Coutinho is growing in leaps and bounds, with both improving with yet more room to grow.

The possession we started with dominated, but looked effortless at times. A sign of things to come and that Brendan is pulling this group closer.

My worry? Only five shots on goal. Villa had 17, but our improved 'D' limited most of those to poor quality 'pot-shots' that never threatened. Thanks to the back line and team effort for that. I want to see more penetration into the 18 and more teams terrified with the red rage peppering their overworked keeper.

Even though it's only two games in, we're second in the table as I write this. I grew up when my expectation was first, and that we'd win every game. Seasons undefeated at Anfield, the world in awe, and at one time six of the starters in the English national team were from Liverpool. I long for those days again, and can honestly say I see improvement and have a feeling that we're heading in that direction. It's a journey, a process, not a wish granted instantly. If we want it back in earnest, it will take time to build something that won't soon be forgotten or dismissed for years to come.

Good signs, growth, and a lot more to look forward to.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Watching again, without the agony of not knowing what's going to happen a few things stand out.

1) Rodgers adapted tactically and that's a great sign that he isn't the one trick pony he's often labelled as being. That's was a Rafa-esque display.

2) it was really pleasing to see the team succeed in a different style of football altogether. Showing that when necessary we can defend a lead is no bad thing.

3) the players showed a mental strength that has been largely absent for a few years. Not saying we've suddenly 'got it', but if bodes well.

Don't want to see a performance like this too often, but it was the right thing for this game. Good to know we have it in the locker.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
If anything we can take comfort in, defending a lead like this takes focus and concentration which we were lacking last season when we gave away equalisers right after we scored or making silly individual mistakes.

tesh

TIA New Signing
Just think how much better we could potentially do with a couple of >£20m players coming in before the end of the transfer window. Then if we are within touch of the leaders come christmas, another splurge could see us contend for the much coveted CL place...

All depends however, on whether we get a couple of good/first team players in before the transfer window ends...

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
[SIZE=9.5pt]Watched the game again yesterday. Things do look a bit different without the in-game hysteria clouding everything.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]- Our first half was very, very good. Close to a perfect away performance, completely taking the sting out of the opposition by simply keeping the ball. We had total control for about 40 minutes, and Villa had about two 90-second spells where we invited them in due to individual mistakes and they got a couple of corner kicks.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]- Villa came out much more aggressive in the second half and pressed us higher up right from kick off. This led to us not keeping the ball as well as we did in the first half; but we still looked very comfortable up until around the 75 minute mark, when we failed to pick up the second ball and Agbonlahor struck it on the volley. From then on Villa gradually had more and more of the initiative, but apart from the Benteke chance we were never in any real trouble.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]- The individual mistakes I thought I saw loads of (losing possession cheaply) were still there, but not as frequent as I thought there and then. Some of them happened in our transition from defence to attack, which is extra critical against a team like Villa and probably made things look worse than they were. Also some bad decision making going on in attack, meaning we never really got the chance to build like we did in the first half. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]- We did give away possession needlessly a few times in the first half as well, but our good covering and Villa's lack of accuracy meant we were never troubled. In the second half Villa played better though, which coupled with their increased aggression led to some more turnovers and more of the initiative to Villa, but we still managed to fix most of our mistakes before it got critical - either by covering or fouling.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]- All in all I didn't see the same dramatic drop in performance as I saw when watching it live. We tried to keep playing in the second half and to be fair we mostly had things under control while also creating some decent opportunities, but like I said I think Villa made it more difficult for us after the break by raising their game and aggression levels significantly. And we're just not quite good enough yet at passing it around when the opposition put us under pressure.[/SIZE]