Post Match: Aston Villa v Liverpool (ELC 17/12/19 7.45pm)

Lad of the Match

• Kelleher

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Hoever [off 82’]

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Boyes

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Van den Berg

• Gallacher

• Chirivella

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Christie-Davies

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Kane

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Longstaff [off 65’]

• Hill

• Elliot

Votes: 59 89.4%
  • Bearne [on 65’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norris [on 82’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I think our kids will be buzzing. I was worried that a thrashing would dent them but they performed with character. A lot of positives.

As for what is more important, the league cup or the club World Cup, for me it’s simple. One is a tournament which is only for champions, and the other is a tournament which nobody, not even championship teams, takes seriously.
The league cup is nice when you win but nothing more than a distraction otherwise.
And let’s not forget Manchester United actually pulled out of the FA Cup once to play in the club World Cup. They didn’t even bother trying to fit that competition into their schedule so anyone that suggests we have devalued this league cup can do one. We gave it a go.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
'Liverpool have to win the Club World Cup'
Alan Hutton
Former Aston Villa defender on BBC Radio 5 Live
Liverpool have put all their eggs in one basket. It's time for the main team to push on and come back with the Club World Cup now. They've got to go out there and win it.

What the hell is this shit?
Who the fuck is Alan Hutton?? Can I see his medals please? Stupid twat!

Noo Noo

I thought Kane did well, could have done with a goal. But i have a soft spot for midfielders that manage to get ahead of the forward line at the critical moment and he managed that on more than a few occasions. It's also something that I feel that we're desperately short of in the first team midfield.

Elliot looks something a bit special at times.

Red over the water

I missed the match but well done to our boys, sounds like they performed well, creating chances, getting stuck in, and also having decent spells where we were the better side. Unfortunately at this level it’s all about end product, and it seems like Villa had a few more lads out there who are a level or two ahead of our boys in their development.

I hope the club does something nice for them - private jet to go out to savour the CWC in a little pre Christmas sunshine break would be nice.

As for the League Cup... meh. It needs reform or binning. Fond memories of winning the Milk Cup every year, but it has all moved on now, and we need less top class football. Teams are already voting with their feet, given the sides they are putting out. Best to formalize it and make some key changes. Make it a competition for the leagues below the Prem. Or if Prem teams are in, make it U23 sides for the Prem teams, since competitive games at that level are needed.

Onto Qatar. Hopefully we win the thing. I remember getting up in the wee small hours when I was a kid for this, think it was in Japan. The pitch was bobbly and Independiente beat us, which was a shock to me as a young lad, as I didn’t think we could lose!

These days our first team is so good... but it means we have a big target on our backs. Monterrey, and then if it goes to plan, Flamengo, will be eager to show what they can do. Hopefully we come home with the trophy, no injuries and also refreshed by a bit of sunshine rather than jaded by the travel. Then we go to Leicester having watched them and Man City slog it out only to stay miles off the blistering pace we are setting.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
From Villa Park:

Well never a 5-0.

Well done kids. Men Vs Boys, but was closer than score suggests. Good experience. Our club is in a good place.
So we lost today. But guess what... Champions of Europe, European Champions. Liverpool, Top Of the League.

I also saw some of the academy kids in Nando's in Star City earlier - had a chat with the coaches, they were just watching tonight - but it was a message to all.

We now go on and win this Club World Cup thingy.

jaffod

Pretty much the scoreline I expected but the performance far exceeded what I was expecting. What let us down was a lack of conviction in front of goal.
Villa were spawny twats and had the luck all night. Elliot has a big future, as does Hoever. Travelling Kop were boss.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Didn’t Neville suggest we get knocked out of the CL last season to put all our eggs in one basket, pundits 99 out of 100 talk absolute shite. As someone said I’ve seen Championship teams make 11 changes for this, sadly it was the EFL and the FA who devalued their own competition, they knew Liverpool had two games in Qatar in December at this time, the PL aren’t demanding we play the Westham game on Saturday.

Anyhow the boys lost 5-0, put it in context 4 years ago the first team went to Stoke and lost 6-1 and the lads tonight put far more effort and dare I say actual performance in than the shower that day in Stoke.

koptician

We'll go again!
Back in 2012 when Chelsea qualified for the club world cup, you know what the EFL did? Planned the competition dates around the club world cup to make sure there wasn't a clash!

Their failure to do so this time round is their fault. Liverpool are now being punished for their mistake and have no option but to field a complete youth side in either the league cup or the club world cup!

And guess what, even before the final they knew there would be an English winner of the CL. They had way more than enough time to plan it properly. FUCK them!!

Notasuperfan

It's ok to lose to Aston Villa's B team. This is after all our U23s squad, some of whom are not even full adults and are still in school. Some of the classless celebration by some Villa players would have infuriate Klopp, our senior squad and the Kop. Although I didn't see the match, I saw Dean Smith's face looking fucking grim after they scored the 5th goal. He knows that our first team will show absolutely no mercy and put them right back at the relegation dogfight.

The next time we meet the villans at Anfield, everyone, from the playing staff to the Kop should get ready to make Anfield so intimidating that all the Aston Villa players gets PTSD seeing a Liverpool jersey on the streets after the match.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I thought Kane did well, could have done with a goal. But i have a soft spot for midfielders that manage to get ahead of the forward line at the critical moment and he managed that on more than a few occasions. It's also something that I feel that we're desperately short of in the first team midfield.

Elliot looks something a bit special at times.
Went for Kane as MoTM.
I was really impressed how he kept pressing and tackling through the entire match.

Hammanbags

I don't know what everyone's on about here??? That was shocking - dreadful. That team was completely unrecognisable from the one that leathered Everton and Bournemouth. Looked like men against boys at times....and what in the fuck has Mo done to his hair?

Tough day at the office (or school?) for those lads tonight... I felt for them as that was never a 5-0. Their day will come.

jim bouki

It speaks volumes how well these young lads played that villa senior players were still celebrating scoring the 5th goal in the closing stages of the game. Can't help but think if jones, neco williams and brewster played the outcome would be a lot different. All the stats suggest Liverpool were the better team on the day it's a pity the scoreline reflects the opposite. Besides heart and courage can't be measured in stats and these boys have it in abundance. They kept pressing and playing the liverpool way till the final whistle and never dropped their heads. Mini mentality monsters!

Want to give a shout out to all our fans both at the game and online. What an incredible bunch of fans cheering on these young boys throughout and despite the result nothing but positivity, optimism and good vibes towards these future stars who served themselves and the club proud today. Hearing the travelling kop throughout the game was as much a joy as watching the young lads on show! It's day's like today that shows why we've got the best fans in the world!

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter
Ex-wankchester United media personalities saying how Liverpool "disrespected" the Carabao Cup when

A) nobody takes the competition seriously

B) weakened trams have been the norm

C) wankchester United pulled out of the FA Cup in 2000 for the older version

D) the cup is sponsored by Carabao

E) the draw took place in a supermarket

F) the prize money is 100k.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Ex-wankchester United media personalities saying how Liverpool "disrespected" the Carabao Cup when

A) nobody takes the competition seriously

B) weakened trams have been the norm

C) wankchester United pulled out of the FA Cup in 2000 for the older version

D) the cup is sponsored by Carabao

E) the draw took place in a supermarket

F) the prize money is 100k.
G.Played a few days before a club World Cup tie to be played in Qatar.

XMarlin

A load of 16 year olds got some good experience, and we don’t need to worry about a two legged semi final in January, to win a cup you win when you’re shite.

All good.
Silver's silver mate... our lads did their best but not our year to go further in this tournament. Maybe we look at what we did well here?

LFCFFC

G.Played a day before a club World Cup tie to be played in Qatar.
Above all else, this is the point that a fair few non-Liverpool fans/pundits are somehow failing to grasp.

We likely have two CWC games in quick succession half way across the world, thus requiring our whole first team squad. This may be controversial, but the CWC is a more illustrious competition than the Carabao cup.

If the EFL had showed some degree of flexibility and allowed the game to be shifted, we might have been able to field a lineup similar to the Arsenal game to give this competition the respect it so desperately deserves.

It's pretty damn simple really.

brush85

Like everyone else. Hoever and Elliott are the standard...but we knew that before ( amonsgt the players available tonight ). Add Jones and Brewster, then you have something potentially special for the club.

16 year olds shouldnt Be that good. Insane.

All in all, a positive day

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
The lads ought to be ashamed of themselves.

This was a chance to represent the club and what it stands for and honestly, none of the players showed why they deserve to play in the Premier League. Total disgrace and a total waste of money.

But that is a problem Villa needs to solve.

On the other hand, our U23s performed pretty well.

Danny_

Nobody gives a shit about the league cup but seriously, that was hard to watch. Elliot played quite well. Positive is that this shite competition is over for another year.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Proud of these lads. They gave a proper go and entertained us.
Ignore the result, that's bound to happen when you field such an inexperienced side.
Big Big learning curve for many of these lads
Mightily impressed with Elliot, he is going to be something special.
Up the reds!!

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Aston Villa being cute on social media tonight. I hope they enjoy all of this because it's the most anyone has cared about them in a long time. Kudos and happy relegation.

Jon Kodjia is trash. Embarrassing watching his egregious celebrations scoring against boys. I wanted to find out the last time he put the ball in the net against players his own age. The last time? May 5th v Norwich. Jon Kodjia is shameful trash.

Notasuperfan

Aston Villa being cute on social media tonight. I hope they enjoy all of this because it's the most anyone has cared about them in a long time. Kudos and happy relegation.

Jon Kodjia is trash. Embarrassing watching his egregious celebrations scoring against boys. I wanted to find out the last time he put the ball in the net against players his own age. The last time? May 5th v Norwich. Jon Kodjia is shameful trash.
It's ok when he comes on for Wesley as a sub and VVD proceeds to shove him out of the way.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
football is a cruel game!

our youngsters all performed admirably, the score is immaterial. the experience will only benefit them. Elliot looks special, look forward to seeing more of him. special mention to our magnificent travelling Kop - WOW! they were amazing!

I was hoping we would score a goal or two and would have done if not for their keeper who made some good saves. the opening 10 minutes belonged to the young Reds, and they should have scored! Villa's opening two were fortunate. Villa's celebrations when scoring the 5th was OTT.

anyway no more Carrot Cup games to worry about!!!

A big well done to the young Reds - you did us proud!!!
They will want more!!!
Can you hear that mighty roar!!!
Jurgen will have been pleased.

right chaps, for breakfast I will be having cheese on toast............see you later!