Post Match: Aston Villa v Liverpool (ELC 17/12/19 7.45pm)

Lad of the Match

• Kelleher

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Hoever [off 82’]

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Boyes

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Van den Berg

• Gallacher

• Chirivella

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Christie-Davies

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Kane

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Longstaff [off 65’]

• Hill

• Elliot

Votes: 59 89.4%
  • Bearne [on 65’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norris [on 82’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alaskared

Kloppite
After this game I kept thinking about 2 other games where we were the better team and lost. The 2007 CL final and the 2018 CL final. I'll add this game to that list.

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
Didn't see the match, but am interested in Van den Berg. Not many comments about him. How did he do?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Missed the game, but congrats to our young lads. We couldn't have expected any more than this from them, and they seem to have given a great account of themselves. It will stay as a big experience for them, all good.

But on the other hand... had a few squaddies been able to play with these youngsters like against Arsenal, the result might have been totally different. But that joke competition in Qatar prevented Klopp from being at Villa Park, inspiring the youngsters and mix a bit experience to all that youthful energy. Villa couldn't have lived with that in all probability.

But in a sense, I'm happy for Villa that they get to play the semi-finals. As a newly promoted team, this competition adds spice to their season, and they surely look forward to it.

Noo Noo

Went for Kane as MoTM.
I was really impressed how he kept pressing and tackling through the entire match.
I agree, for me he was the stand out midfielder. Just unlucky that he didn't get a goal.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Rick Parry - "'Maybe it is not unique,' he added. 'Maybe it is something we need to be more mindful of in the future. I think we have actually come up with a very pragmatic solution that first and foremost worked for Liverpool, it was sensible to say you have a major problem here what's going to be the right solution for you, rather than a bureaucratic "this is the rule".' "

If this is the very pragmatic solution that you can come up with, then all I want to say is" Fuck you Rick Parry"

Sweeting

Missed the game, but congrats to our young lads. We couldn't have expected any more than this from them, and they seem to have given a great account of themselves. It will stay as a big experience for them, all good.

But on the other hand... had a few squaddies been able to play with these youngsters like against Arsenal, the result might have been totally different. But that joke competition in Qatar prevented Klopp from being at Villa Park, inspiring the youngsters and mix a bit experience to all that youthful energy. Villa couldn't have lived with that in all probability.

But in a sense, I'm happy for Villa that they get to play the semi-finals. As a newly promoted team, this competition adds spice to their season, and they surely look forward to it.
I think both the club world cup and the league cup are kind of "joke" competitions really, no one in this country cares about either one.

There are only two competitions that really count - the Premier League and the Champions League.

Last edited:

Noo Noo

Rick Parry - "'Maybe it is not unique,' he added. 'Maybe it is something we need to be more mindful of in the future. I think we have actually come up with a very pragmatic solution that first and foremost worked for Liverpool, it was sensible to say you have a major problem here what's going to be the right solution for you, rather than a bureaucratic "this is the rule".' "

If this is the very pragmatic solution that you can come up with, then all I want to say is" Fuck you Rick Parry"
Head in the sand moment?

Probably

Tony walker

Stood directly behind the goal , van der berg impressed me.
He showed composure leading our defence , he stood out for me especially 2nd half .
Keeper made some great saves .
Well done the boys ,you gave them a game and if our chances went in / rather than great save by villa Kepler things would have been different.
Elliott was a treat all match .
Travelling Kop were great

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I think both the club world cup and the league are kind of "joke" competitions really, no one in this country cares about either one.

There are only two competitions that really count - the Premier League and the Champions League.
Yeah, it's the same for that Monaco thingy. Of course, there is some money at stake (4m for Monaco, and another 4m for this world cup thing apparently) so I can see why the club takes this a bit more seriously than the league cup.

Then there is the FA Cup. I for one value it as a serious competition to be fair. It's always nice for the fans to have a day out in May at Wembley, for a real, traditional cup, charged with a long history. I'd set it just behind the PL and the CL as the third target to be taken seriously.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
For me it isnt the result but rather the idiocy of the people and companies driving top teams to play more and more games until we seem now to be over a tipping point. When I team cant possibly play there first choice 11 in a cup game, then something is drastically wrong.

As to the game. Men against boys. However, I think it was a very good experience for the youngsters and that will help them on their learning curve. Also some seem in for stellar careers (remember Mellor?) However, this was a bad day for the club and for football in general.

koptician

We'll go again!

Wait is this Rock Parry aka Coco the Clown?

Danny_

I think both the club world cup and the league are kind of "joke" competitions really, no one in this country cares about either one.

Agreed. The FA cup used to count but not so much anymore.

Flobs

FADA
Didn't see the match, but am interested in Van den Berg. Not many comments about him. How did he do?
Some have criticised him for being slow, whatever that is, for me in a straight line he was fast enough, when it came to twisting and turning he struggled a bit (then again he's a big lanky lad at the moment and that could easily improve with growing up time).
Definitely a mixed bag from him, he seemed a bit hesitant from the start and didn't manage to impose himself on the game and task at hand even his passing was fairly poor and weak added to that some unlucky interventions (which might have come off if he had been more imposing) he didn't have a good 1st half. Then in the second half he improved a lot seemed to have a lot more confidence and his interventions were solid as was his passing he also helped a lot with his positioning and movement.
For a 17 year old I think his 2nd half performance is something to build on.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I thought the lads did well; in the first dozen or so minutes we bossed the game and if not for some sharp work by the villa goalkeeper, we could have been two up. There was no VAR last night so no offside review; as for their second goal, it was a pure fluke. In the final analysis, the score line flattered villa; Kodjia certainly made a complete dickhead of himself with his goal celebrations.

How many of last night's team will go on to have a career at Liverpool, I don't know, Harvey Elliot is a shoe in for sure, but irrespective, none of them let us down.

For me, the only disappointment from last night was hearing that Elliot got injured and won't make the trip to Qatar. Hopefully the lad can make a speedy recovery.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Yeah, it's the same for that Monaco thingy. Of course, there is some money at stake (4m for Monaco, and another 4m for this world cup thing apparently) so I can see why the club takes this a bit more seriously than the league cup.

Then there is the FA Cup. I for one value it as a serious competition to be fair. It's always nice for the fans to have a day out in May at Wembley, for a real, traditional cup, charged with a long history. I'd set it just behind the PL and the CL as the third target to be taken seriously.
I agree, I would still like for us to have an decent stab at that tournament this season, I'm quite glad we don't have the 2 legs in January for this, even if we had played the U23s it removes the temptation for Klopp. I have no doubt Elliott should be in their for the game against Everton and a couple of others.

Limiescouse

It speaks volumes how well these young lads played that villa senior players were still celebrating scoring the 5th goal in the closing stages of the game. Can't help but think if jones, neco williams and brewster played the outcome would be a lot different. All the stats suggest Liverpool were the better team on the day it's a pity the scoreline reflects the opposite. Besides heart and courage can't be measured in stats and these boys have it in abundance. They kept pressing and playing the liverpool way till the final whistle and never dropped their heads. Mini mentality monsters!
We leak goals even against youth and reserve opposition and so I think the outcome would have been similar even if we could have inserted to 2 or 3 better kids who were unavailable. They just wouldnt have been able to address the relative weakness at the back that we've seen all season.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Couple of things we can now note...

5-0 flattered them.

A couple of yesterdays seniors in the line up would have been a much different outcome.

We would be in a cup semi final if respect was paid to the club and the competition, by the hierarchy in the league.