• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool (18/2/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Gomez

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Firmino

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi (on 46')

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Ox (on 72')

• Milner (on 80')

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Far from a knee jerk reaction, I've thought this all season. Yes we are getting the results on paper, but we are scraping through games that we should be putting to bed all safe and sound.

With any team where we have to find some guile to break down, we have found it difficult, because we seem to be missing that 'spark' or flair to make something happen.

We have been getting away with it against teams like Norwich, but Atletico are not Norwich and we need to command the Atletico's of this world if we are to get to where I believe we can be over a prolonged period. We've made huge strides, we are strong and consistent, but you can't tell me we are there yet, surely?
The least one can say is that you're hard to please... :LOL:

On the other hand, Klopp would probably agree with you, as he has recently said that he saw us at 50% of where he wanted to take us. So, he sees definitely potential for more than what we've got right now.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I did the Barca first leg and @i_still_miss_fowler did the second leg.
After my pissweak showing in the LC Q/F against Villa, I've been dropped from the Pre Match squad but feel I've worked hard and learnt from my mistakes so just waiting for the gaffa to give me the nod to show I can still contribute.

And I can catagorically deny the rumours being spread by @SBYM that I have instructed him to start negotiating my transfer in the summer to bluemoon.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
The Anfield crowd will have to turn up the volume for the return leg, we don’t want any quiet periods during the game. Atletico have already shown that it’s not about sport anymore, so let’s fight fire with fire. Anybody whose seat is at pitch level should give their thug players, dogs abuse all game. Fans whose seats are near to the dug out, should wind up their bench, especially that cunt Simeone. The team and Klopp will need our help on the night, so let’s not let them down.
It is important that not only the Anfield crowd raise the volume, the crowd must also not transmit any kind of frustration, moan or groan to our boys with AM's horrible tactics and shithousery. Sing our songs all the way from pre-match warm up to post match!

Flobs

FADA
How do we win at home and go through?

1. The Anfield crowd. Big European night again. Everyone will be well up for it. Mind you, while the crowd will lift the team, the team has to improve too. So...
2. Pass better. Too many passes were sloppy tonight.
3. Start quickly. It’s what they did tonight. We didn’t quite match it and they smothered us. OK, it was only for the first few mins, but it got them the all important goal
4. Cross better. Too many crosses came in too flat and were cleared before they got past the front post.
5. Reconsider the midfield trio. Before injury Fabinho was brilliant, but tonight he was a couple percent below his best, so taking that fraction of a second longer, against a team that’s all over you like a rash, well... it invites pressure
6. String together some possession in the final third. Too often it didn’t stick up there. Consider an attacking midfielder, personally I’d go with Keita, who can dribble, a d who has an eye for an intricate pass
7. Get behind them - easier said than done, but we played the game a bit too narrow, and mostly in front of them
8. Finish better

Even if we do most of that lot, it’s not a given that we advance. The game is finely balanced. They are expertly set up to play a containing game, a spoiling game, and also a counter attacking game.

What is out of our control is how the ref chooses to approach the game. Tonight‘s ref seemed to buy into a lot of their flopping around, giving them lots of free kicks for the slightest thing. In addition, they defended very robustly, with hands all over Mo and Mane in particular - who was subbed off as they seemed to be targeting him for a red.

It was a frustrating night, but it’s only 1-0 with the second half to come at Anfield.

Game on.
5 should be get someone between their lines. If we don't do that we won't pull their defense about.

Freeman

We were missing Ox or Keita in midfield. 1 goal down is not a big thing but must react at home game.

Flobs

FADA
Oh and if there was ever a match which CRIED out for a quick-thinking creative #10 who can keep the ball at his feet, this was the match.

We were ponderous and slow in possession
Ok, Firmino was poor compared to his usual standards however I would also argue he often does this when we start nervously and struggle to get another player between the lines of the opposition.

iftikhar

This was the first meaningful game we lost since September. However, I must stress that it's more like Game On than Game Over. Simone did a good job of rousing the fans. It will be a different Tango at the Anfield.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I have done ALL cup games for a while now, including CL and WCC.

I accept that this is entirely on me, humbly apologise to you all and pass the baton of thread starter, cup games to the next incumbent.
I would like to thank you all for your support on my endeavour......
Don't go blaming yourself, you did your best. If anyone is at fault it is me, after all I broke my customary, self imposed "post team sheet / pre match" Purdah, when rather foolishly, I rose to the bait and responded to @ptt's criticism of my literary style…

…come to think of it, that makes it all @ptt's fault! :mad:

Incognito

The Normal One
Think we got way more influenced than we should have been by Atletico's approach and ref helping them (Mane's sub for example). Keita seemed the most obvious choice to bring that spark, but I have observed he has a knack of fouling often than others and maybe that again influenced Klopp's decision? Getting Milner on probably also was because we needed strong but a cool head and someone who can stand up against their thuggery? Not putting Minamino on was also a byproduct of the thinking? Klopp had lot going on in his mind it seems and Anfield tie in back of his mind as well. There would have been many factors in the decision making yesterday which doesn't seem obvious to us from our vantage point.

Flobs

FADA
Far from a knee jerk reaction, I've thought this all season. Yes we are getting the results on paper, but we are scraping through games that we should be putting to bed all safe and sound.

With any team where we have to find some guile to break down, we have found it difficult, because we seem to be missing that 'spark' or flair to make something happen.

We have been getting away with it against teams like Norwich, but Atletico are not Norwich and we need to command the Atletico's of this world if we are to get to where I believe we can be over a prolonged period. We've made huge strides, we are strong and consistent, but you can't tell me we are there yet, surely?
If your trying to say we should be scoring more I would agree. Even so I have rarely seen a team dominate matches like our present one does it makes me feel calm when watching it's soo good. The odd game here and there where we look nervous and approximate when against teams that are particularly difficult to break down is inevitable now and again (at least this hasn't happened in the league this season (where there's been a lot more games played)). :)

GaryC

We seem to have problems with teams employing the dark arts - Sevilla in the Europa final, Napoli in the last 2 years’ CL, Real Madrid in the CL final and now Atletico. Perhaps Jürgen should prepare our players mentally as well as physically for these types of games to counteract them.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
We seem to have problems with teams employing the dark arts - Sevilla in the Europa final, Napoli in the last 2 years’ CL, Real Madrid in the CL final and now Atletico. Perhaps Jürgen should prepare our players mentally as well as physically for these types of games to counteract them.
We’re a pressing side, wanting to win the ball back high up the pitch. If a referee is going to fall for Athletico dropping like sacks of shit under no contact, then we’re obviously going to struggle.

LFCFFC

Think we got way more influenced than we should have been by Atletico's approach and ref helping them (Mane's sub for example). Keita seemed the most obvious choice to bring that spark, but I have observed he has a knack of fouling often than others and maybe that again influenced Klopp's decision? Getting Milner on probably also was because we needed strong but a cool head and someone who can stand up against their thuggery? Not putting Minamino on was also a byproduct of the thinking? Klopp had lot going on in his mind it seems and Anfield tie in back of his mind as well. There would have been many factors in the decision making yesterday which doesn't seem obvious to us from our vantage point.
It's been mentioned here previously but I think JK was caught in two minds between pursuing the game and realising that we had our hearts set on being absolute gash for the full 90 and making sure we didn't concede another which would really make things tricky at Anfield. Hence Milner over Keita. My hope is that Anfield brings a refreshed and more inspired approach (and a less useless ref). We've got first hand experience playing them now and we know exactly what they're going to bring to the table...i.e. the footballing equivalent of water torture.

It seems a few of the lads have also noted the post-match celebrations too. Of course they're well within their rights to do so, but that might be extra fuel for the fire like Kimmich kindly provided last year.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray

5 should be get someone between their lines. If we don't do that we won't pull their defense about.
Makes it all the more baffling why neither Naby or Minamino were used last night. I'd suggest both of them need to get some serious minutes under their belts before the return , especially seeing as Hendo is probably out.

And if I was still a betting man , I might have a few bob on another famous 3-1.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
ESPN: now reporting AM and Someone are disgusted at the way LFC players and manager are reporting fouling and cheating tactics ....mmmmmmm kettle calling ......me thinks.
They said they were "surprised" at the complaints. :rolleyes: Riiiiiiight! Moreover, they said we need to be gracious "in victory and defeat"...apparently they themselves didn't get that memo!

Good as they are defensively, they have won 1 out of their last 7 League games. Obviously that doesn't include last night's result, and obviously they will be tough to break down either way, but it also suggests that they aren't as good as their pedigree might suggest.

Flobs

FADA
Makes it all the more baffling why neither Naby or Minamino were used last night. I'd suggest both of them need to get some serious minutes under their belts before the return , especially seeing as Hendo is probably out.

And if I was still a betting man , I might have a few bob on another famous 3-1.
What have you got against AOC and Gini? :p
Both these players can do it (though Gini tends to be played defensively in our system often at the end of matches he ups it) AOc is excellent at drawing defenders or finding enough space to explode into. But yes any of these 4 with instructions can help here then it needs the defense and DM to actually get the ball to them rather than play haphazard long balls to Salah all the time. :)

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
The low light of last night was the entire AM team mobbing the ref after a minimal contact foul by Mane late in the 2nd half, demanding a 2nd yellow card. That is garbage behavior, it should be worth a card itself to badger the ref like that an wave your fingers in his face. The ref of course did himself no favors but that act basically bullied Klopp into withdrawing possibly our best offensive player at the half. What a shame.