• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool (18/2/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Gomez

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Firmino

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi (on 46')

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Ox (on 72')

• Milner (on 80')

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member

Wilkored08

We need a banner saying "Welcome to Hell" in the 2nd leg.

Please forgive me everyone, I did laugh st the comment. I have this terrible habit of laughing in circumstances when I shouldn't have. I slapped myself as an act of contrition.
We have to be smarter in verbal retaliation.
Said yesterday, give them a 'shitty team bus' arrival party....no missiles of course, but flares(within police reason)...anything to show them our fans mean business.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
We can't keep n relying on Anfield to get us through Champions League ties and let's face it we have an abysmally poor record in Europe away from home
They were reliant on their home crowd so why not. It's our home ground we expect it will be raucous on a European night, I expect the impact it will make will create urgency in our boys and panic in them.

I expect a similar outcome to Villareal several seasons ago in which we won over two legs having been behind after the first. Remember their home form is excellent but there are reasons why they haven't won it yet.

They made errors last night but the ball always bounced kindly. With more urgency and control from us and a crowd behind us I can't see another performance like that.

We haven't been stellar in some games this season but we haven't needed to be. We've done enough. And if I'm honest its how we were most of last season as well. Winning 2-0 instead of 6-0 has meant we have the energy for 90 mins not just for 60 when needs must.

I'm disappointed but I'm not surprised.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I didn't expect this to arouse me, and yet it did.

No offense, @Maria
Oh for God's sake, get a grip o_O. I am not even going there.:censored:

Said yesterday, give them a 'shitty team bus' arrival party....no missiles of course, but flares(within police reason)...anything to show them our fans mean business.
I would also set the Anfield dogs on to the Athletico team bus.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Think this matchup really showed we have gotten a bit static in our approach to matches. Atletico had answers for our typical attacking style, and the starting XI really showed that Hendo had spent the last 8 weeks playing as a #6. We had no thrust and little effect in transition.

Atletico are NOT Burnley and are a top continental side. They defend deep and wide, counter with pace. Well trained with a top manager who has LOADS of experience. Their players know how to slow the game down, get those fouls which we hate to see called. Result? Frustration and 1-0 loss.
All of this. I gave myself some time to think about it before posting. I had a rant about AM, Diego The Lunatic, and La Liga in my mind but why bother? Absolute grotesque brand and style of football. Awful. Literally the absolute worst league in the world and it's not even close. Diving, cheating, stop/start, time wasting, injury faking, no flow to the match, sit back and defend. AM getting that early goal was literally the worst possible scenario for this match and it unfolded exactly by the script, to the letter, thereafter. It was mind bending watching how lopsided the officiating was in the last 20 minutes of the match. The ref was firmly in Diego's pocket and was there to stay. They won the match at HT, forcing our manager's hand to take off our best player for the entire second half.

Having said all that, the match was still there for us. If that's the best AM have, they are in trouble. I would NEVER be critical of our boys. Literally, ever. They just weren't at their best last night. What surprised me was how lethargic I thought we looked at times. Not making excuses, but it was bound to happen at some point. I felt like we had been showing these signs the last few weeks in PL matches. Wasteful at times. AM overloaded the midfield and always had an extra man and we really didn't have an answer for it. When we did get the ball out to the FB they weren't at their best. Crosses were speculative and begging more than anything else. Trent had a mare. I didn't at all understand bringing Origi on. I would've expected one of Keita or Taki to come on to break down some off that deep defending. Easy for me to say though from my living room! I will always trust Klopp. Fab, who is one of my favourite players in the world, is still not fully back and up to match speed. I thought he struggled a bit.

Again, bound to happen at some point. Our boys have been on a season for the ages and now is not the time for our supporters to make grand, sweeping accusations or to be overly dramatic about any one player. We lost 1-0. Hold our heads high and look forward. We get these assholes at our place in a few weeks and we will put them in their proper place. Onward.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
ESPN: now reporting AM and Someone are disgusted at the way LFC players and manager are reporting fouling and cheating tactics ....mmmmmmm kettle calling ......me thinks.
Boohoo....the dive like Salah had two footed lunge on the guy in the corner is enough to show how disgusting this lot were.

Anyhow keep writing the second half team talk for Klopp.

The Hermit

Bad performance by all except wijnaldum and robbo.
We did not even test their GK.
bizzare subs.
Horrendous referring.
We still have the return leg at Anfield to fuck these cunts.
I didn't think Robbo played up to his standards. Gomez was MOTM for me. I somewhat agree with you on the subs- particularly who came off and when- but I do think Ox was a good idea...at least he can have a go from outside the box. But since he was out wide it never materialized. Oh well...on to Anfield!

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I would love to have seen Haaland....just hope we didn’t sign the wrong one. Minamino will get more opportunities but I am not that impressed so far. Not sure what he gives us but will be delighted to be proved wrong.
I keep seeing this posted and FTR, it was never an either/or. That isn't fair to Taki. At all. Question: How long has it taken every signing under Klopp (except Virgil) to bed into the system? Answer: Every signing (bar Virg) has needed an adjustment period. Unfortunately it's not plug-and-play with JK's approach.

But Liverpool literally tried to sign Håland. According to Raiola they had talks with LP but the player and his advisers decided they weren't ready for the Prem and wanted to spend a few seasons in the BL. It was never an either/or. We tried to get both and we got one of them. Give the kid some time.

RedYank

There was a defense years ago used by an American college basketball team, nicknamed “the Amoeba”. It sucked teams into the thick of front and middle defenders, cut off all movement, and then relied on turnovers. Couldn’t help but recall this whilst watching yesterday

Since AM will no doubt employ this again, what is the antidote for the “Amoeba”?

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
well my first 'away' game - I had to get on my scooter and travel to my brother in law's to watch the match(due to internet issues), and we damn well lost to a team of cheats. they employed the dark arts with aplomb, even the ball boys were on a go slow when returning the ball! Simeone spent most of the match outside the technical area, yet Klopp gets booked.

the taste of defeat is not nice and neither is our our away form in Europe!

the corner that led to their goal came after they were wrongfully awarded a throw in - the officials need to go to Specsavers! frustrating!

having to take Mane off at HT was annoying, but Klopp did the right thing.
we lacked in the final third, we need to improve - and we will.

I truly hope we smash them 3-0 in the second leg.

its only HT.
its only 1-0.
we are the defending champion's and we are not going to be beaten!

I'll be watching from home as the internet should be fine by then!
I'll be able to have my pre-match pancake(and smoke my pipe!) as I am no longer on kitchen probation - Mrs Tosh is a tough task master!

In Klopp we trust!!!

MarcusBerglund

I won't blame the referee, Simeone, Atletico players or the pitch.

We were poor from start to finish, zero shots on target for 90 minutes. LFC was not ready for Simeone and his defensive brand of football. Atleti played the match on their terms and had the better chances to score a second goal.

VvD looked shaky which is really strange. TAA slipped 3-4 times during the first 25 minutes and his passing was awful, and then he lost all sparks of confidence. Fabinho, Gini and Hendo had a nightmare. And of course Salah, Mane and Bobby were toothless.
According to the stats Mo did not pass the ball to Sadio and Bobby for the first 25 minutes. Sadio did not create any problems for Vrsalko /a decent full back, but nothing special/.

And of course the substitutes - did not help us and created nothnig. These type of opponents show why we need to impove our squad this summer. When Salah is playing poorly /and maybe not many will share this opinion, but to my mind after that injury in Kiev his quality and effectiveness is dropping season after season/ we have no real alternatives. AOC was a passenger last night like most of his coleagues. And when you play against teams that defend deep in low block, you need players with great ball controll and technique. Only Bobby looked like that type of player. Chambo, Salah, Gini and Trents first touch and pass were not up to the required standard. They looked intimidated by the atmosphere and the opponents.

The team and the coaches need to improve massively, I exppect a smilar match to those against Napoli /in the group stage/. If we concede it is game over, they are the masters of defence and Simeone has studied our game plan and neutralized it perfectly. Klopp and Krawietz must find the right answers and also must start asking the right questions.

Both full backs blocked and ineffective. The midfielders could not create anything and the three in attack looked isolated and two of them were substituted early which is the best verdict for their impact on the match.

Stilll Atletico have lost only once in their last 26 home european games. And they have lost /after winning the first leg/ only to teams that have Ronaldo in their 11. Our players must be ready for a huge battle and it is vital to use every chance for goal, we won't have many clear cut chances. Salah and Mane need to improve and show why they are known as world class players.

Flobs

FADA
Yep, I would like to see Keita given the nod.
Personally I would have liked to have seen AOC there but we don't lack players who can do a job there. Even Firmino can but he seems to get himself pulled too deep or too high in adversity then leaving that space empty. (even if we have someone there we struggle to get him the ball last night mainly because VVD seemed to get impatient and hump the ball toward Salah (we're better than that)).

lfc.8

Ponderous at times. Just not good enough. Despite that the way we conceded was poor. Ample opportunity to clear the ball and navigate better prior to the corner and that's ignoring it should have been our throw-in.

Atletico Madrid are a good side but they're not one of the very top sides and we really should have done better. No excuses for not getting through this tie. We should be beating them.

liver1

Despite all their shit housery weve got to give credit where credits due. They setup to defend that lead and they carried out their game plan to a tee.

We cant just assume we can play the same way and Anfield will carry us through, this is going to be a difficult nut to crack and were going to have to figure it out. Remember how difficult it was to crack Napoli at Anfield with few chances created, this will be the same unless we have a better strategy.

Overall though we didnt actually play that bad despite it being frustrating. Other than a lucky goal we played alright, we lacked a goal threat but AM defended deep and in numbers. It could just as well have been a 0-0 which we would have been happy with.