• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Barcelona v Liverpool (UCL 1/5/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

• Matip

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 55 41.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wijnaldum [off 78’]

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Keita [off 24’]

• Mane

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Salah

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Henderson [on 22’]

• Firmino [on 78’]

• Origi [on 85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I used to be a massive Suárez fan, thought he was one of them best players I ever saw in a red shirt. I couldn’t understand why other fans hated him, why they couldn’t appreciate having such a talent in the premier league. Today I kinda see their point.
Anyone who liked a football player not because of his footballing ability needs to re-examine why he likes the sport. I can understand liking managers outside his coaching ability because he leads the club you support. Players? It’s their ability we should all be in awe with, his character is a bonus if it’s immaculate.

Through the years we’ve had all sorts of players in our ranks. From a prick to a spoilt brat to model pro. I am a fan when he’s ours, I defend him if he plays for us, but once he’s gone, he’s a player of other clubs. Can still admire his achievement, but if he’s a prick, we should all be aware that he’s a prick when he’s with us. Suarez been a prick since the day he arrived.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
And the performance of the evening has to be the travelling Kop. Louder than 90,000 Catalans. Brilliant support.
Very poor last night actually

Whatever!
How old are you, about 12?

Spot on. These people saying Trent should have played instead of Gomez or the shaq instead of gini up front. How do those changes make Sadio, Milner, Mo or Bobby score when they didnt?
I think Trent would have helped us create more chances.
One might have been taken.
And as good as the free kick from Messi was, if Gomez had moved his head towards the ball instead of ducking away from it, it wouldn't have been a goal.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Take the Mo one as an example, He gets away, gets kicked, gets pulled, loses a couple of secs of a breakaway, but carries on. Opportunity gone, and job done for Barce. Ref compounds it by no card or freekick. This is what Shitty's Fernandinho is so good at. In the first 30 mins of a game, he will snuff out counters by strategically slowing the opponent somehow. THis season's Mo is more experienced, so later in the game he stopped dead when tugged back, getting a card for the Barce player. We needed to do more of that to stop their antics.

Did anyone else also see the Messi smirk when he won a freekick for a different incident when he went down easily. Klopp was livid at that, but just laughed to himself.
Only on page 11 so apologies if someone else has brought this up. The bolded bit is so important (hence the snip) as we need to do more of this on Tuesday. Our BEST chance of winning is if Barca go down to 10 men, at the very least a few yellows will stop them fouling to stop our counters. They're way better at the dark arts than us but we may as well risk a yellow with the chance for them to lose a player as i cant see us stopping them from scoring and 5 goals is beyond us i think. If they go down to 10 men though i think they'll just defend in numbers which gives us a chance.

I hate resorting to this but since this was something they did at home i see no reason not to do this at Anfield and hopefully a decent ref and the Anfield crowd will make sure the ref spots all their antics. The amount of counters they did stop by shirt pulling etc was ludicrous, especially on Mo but quite a few on Mane too. As for the Messi smirk, hard to miss, it was straight at the camera. He has no problem trying to get one of ours (Millie) sent off so i dont see why we should play it any different at Anfield.

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
Nope, trying to avoid all things football in general but I still wind up coming back on this site. I'll feel better if when we beat Newcastle.
Yeah I'm expecting to see these boys put 7-8 past Newcastle/Benitez, if we play Liverpool football! although I still love benitez, he must take a licking.

FGred

For me, as a fan, I would have liked him to show abit of respect to his old club, if it wasn't for Liverpool, he would not have got his move to Barcelona. I am not asking him to be a dour face or anything, just a little bit of restraint. Salah never celebrated his goals against AS Roma, after he left.
Suarez goes on about how he loves Liverpool etc, etc, etc, but yesterday, I felt he was disrespectful and plus his 'dark arts' antics against our boys were disgraceful. He deserves an Oscar for his acting and Messi too.
I was so annoyed with him thats why we should target him in the second leg and provoke him to get a re. I know Robbo will be on his case from the word go.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I'm in the post match thread now, having had twenty two hours to mull over things and sort of calm down.

I've always played sports fairly and expected/hoped that the teams that I follow would play fairly. "Play a straight bat" or "follow the Corintion spirit". Not any more though. The final last year was turned by a piece of shithousery and last night's game was full of the same from those cheating ----s. Mo was injured and struggled as far as the beginning of this season after what Ramos did to his shoulder. Naby will probably miss the rest of the season too after that shithouse tackle on him. The antics of these Cs goes way too far neyond the will to win.
From now on I'd take us winning at any cost. Be it cheating financially, strategic fouls, feigning injury to get the opposition red cards or deliberately injuring the opposition. If you can't beat them join them
I mentioned in the pre match thread that I'd been told of for cheering Crouchy's cameo for Burnley against us. I still will cheer him should he appear in an opposition line up in the future. Suarez and Coutinho, I will boo, whistle and scream obscenities at them whenever they are on the ball next week. I have no problem with former players turning out for the opposition, but their behaviour last night negates any feeling of gratitude I had for their exploits in a Red shirt.

As for the tie? We're Liverpool. We don't do things the easy way, do we? St Ettienne, Olympiacos, Chelsea, Dortmund. Last season's semi. 5-0 up, wait that's too easy. Let Roma have a couple of goals back to make it interesting in the second leg. Second leg, leading 2-0. Hang on, let them score four more. You know, just so it looks like we've earned it.

We have all the makings of another fantastic European Night next Tuesday. I for one can't wait.

We are Liverpool.

COYR YNWA

jabu

TIA New Signing
My question is, so did fabinho have to apologise after getting punched in the head by messi and getting a yellow as reward..." Sorry mr messi, my head ran into your fist"... and ref, " you stupid boy, you could have broken his hand on that big rock of yours, here is a yellow, next time lower your head so he can hit you in the face"...ref to messi, " im so sorry mr messi, is your hand ok"? Messi, " yes, im now ready to score one of the best free kicks ever"...

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
My question is, so did fabinho have to apologise after getting punched in the head by messi and getting a yellow as reward..." Sorry mr messi, my head ran into your fist"... and ref, " you stupid boy, you could have broken his hand on that big rock of yours, here is a yellow, next time lower your head so he can hit you in the face"...ref to messi, " im so sorry mr messi, is your hand ok"? Messi, " yes, im now ready to score one of the best free kicks ever"...
"why don't you move it forward five yards to make it easier for yourself?"
"you mean an additional five to the five I've already moved it when you weren't looking?"
"ha! what are you like, eh? Go on then..."

jaffod

A great win for Barcelona; difficult for us LFC fans to take but I certainly accept their superiority when it comes to being clinical. It's quite nasty to hear an LFC "fan" calling Luis Suarez a "cunt". I'm sure Jurgen and all LFC players and staff would distance themselves from that "fan".
Well, I'm a "fan" of nearly 50 years. Been there, done it and bought the fucking t-shirt. And I'll be there next week calling Suarez a "cunt" at every opportunity.
And I think Jurgen, the players and staff will be distancing themselves from quite a large section of the "fanbase".

yiannos33

Believe
For me, as a fan, I would have liked him to show abit of respect to his old club, if it wasn't for Liverpool, he would not have got his move to Barcelona. I am not asking him to be a dour face or anything, just a little bit of restraint. Salah never celebrated his goals against AS Roma, after he left.
Suarez goes on about how he loves Liverpool etc, etc, etc, but yesterday, I felt he was disrespectful and plus his 'dark arts' antics against our boys were disgraceful. He deserves an Oscar for his acting and Messi too.
I think that’s his game Maria. I can see him playing in his backyard with his children and wife with the same attitude,
winning is everything for him. Get under his skin and he’ll bite you.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
But he's always been like that. Always. I don't really understand why anyone would expect it to be any different here.
Then I guess it's fair to say we all have our own expectations and views. You and some others expect him to maintain the same level of cuntiness regardless of who he plays. Myself and some others expect him to be his competitive self, but leave some of the unnecessary cuntiness out. And it's subjective as to where the line is drawn.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
I think that’s his game Maria. I can see him playing in his backyard with his children and wife with the same attitude,
winning is everything for him. Get under his skin and he’ll bite you.
I understand what you mean and I am trying to see the genius footballer in Luis and it's the ruthless, competitive streak in him which makes him stand out, but when he starts acting, rolling all over the pitch, pulling our players shirts, arguing with the referee and biting people and getting an 8 match ban ( which I am convinced if he had not received it), we would have won the league, this really annoys me.

Also, he engineered his move to another club in an unethical manner, when he was receiving hostile media coverage and from fans of other clubs, we Reds went out on a limb to support him through thick and thin, especially during his race accusation with the FA. Therefore, I feel Luis could be abit more respectful or show abit more decorum, it is not too much to ask, is it?

To me Luis is an "evil genius" and "Dennis the Menace" rolled into one person.

Last edited:

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Arm chair fan here (been to Anfield once to see the Chav's get beat), we got beat 3-0 by 2 worldie goals. Took loads of stick today by ManU and Spurs fans. They were messaging me last night trying to get a bite.

My reply was, we didn't finish our chances and we had a few. I'm proud of our team and we gave them a good go, yes 3-0 is a bad result but overall this season we have been awesome and I'm proud of every single person who represented LFC last night it wasn't the result we all wanted but I love watching this team and I do think Barca will be thinking they got lucky. We may finish the season with nothing but I love watching our beloved Liverpool play football and wouldn't change a thing. COYR it's not over till the fat lady sings!!!! YNWA
Noticed this post and I wondered how dare a ManU fan give you stick today? In my eyes we literally played 50 times better than they did, so what if we got the same score, they were schooled by Barca, we dominated Barca in Camp Nou, something no one EVER does that i've witnessed. Also the cheek of Spuds fans, get back in your place, they'll be lucky to be playing champions league next season at this rate. Oh the balls on some people, it's like the stupid ratings I read on BBC, all Barcelona players rated higher than ours, did anyone watch the actual game?? I live in Mexico and my best mate is a dirty Barca fan (well Messi lover , supports him more than the team), he thinks they out played us completely, like he didn't see all our chances, I'm still pissed off if you can tell, ooooh i'd love it if we smashed Barca all over Anfield, 5-1, Lovren diving header winner, 94th minutes, twats Suarez a good un on his way to celebrate!

jaffod

I'm in the post match thread now, having had twenty two hours to mull over things and sort of calm down.

I've always played sports fairly and expected/hoped that the teams that I follow would play fairly. "Play a straight bat" or "follow the Corintion spirit". Not any more though. The final last year was turned by a piece of shithousery and last night's game was full of the same from those cheating ----s. Mo was injured and struggled as far as the beginning of this season after what Ramos did to his shoulder. Naby will probably miss the rest of the season too after that shithouse tackle on him. The antics of these Cs goes way too far neyond the will to win.
From now on I'd take us winning at any cost. Be it cheating financially, strategic fouls, feigning injury to get the opposition red cards or deliberately injuring the opposition. If you can't beat them join them
I mentioned in the pre match thread that I'd been told of for cheering Crouchy's cameo for Burnley against us. I still will cheer him should he appear in an opposition line up in the future. Suarez and Coutinho, I will boo, whistle and scream obscenities at them whenever they are on the ball next week. I have no problem with former players turning out for the opposition, but their behaviour last night negates any feeling of gratitude I had for their exploits in a Red shirt.

As for the tie? We're Liverpool. We don't do things the easy way, do we? St Ettienne, Olympiacos, Chelsea, Dortmund. Last season's semi. 5-0 up, wait that's too easy. Let Roma have a couple of goals back to make it interesting in the second leg. Second leg, leading 2-0. Hang on, let them score four more. You know, just so it looks like we've earned it.

We have all the makings of another fantastic European Night next Tuesday. I for one can't wait.

We are Liverpool.

COYR YNWA
Been thinking along those lines all day.

Simple truth is if we want to win major trophies under Jurgen Klopp then he has to change his approach and get some proper nasty snides in the team. What I wouldn't give for another Smith, Case or Souness. In fact, what I wouldn't give for the whole Souness, Kennedy, Case and McDermott midfield.
You can only get so far playing brilliant attacking football and being honest at the same time. We are living proof of it.
Look at the 2016 Europa League final. Look at last season's CL final. Look at Barca last night. What did they all have in common? They were all packed with snide, cheating shithouses. Each time it happens you can go in the post-match threads and read about gamesmanship and the 'dark arts' but then you get the holier than thou brigade calling people out for saying we should do similar. Well, if you're not happy about it you can just resign yourself to us not winning another pot any time soon.
Look at the 2 games this season in the PL that look like costing us the title. Did we surround Taylor at the Emptyhad demanding Kompany be sent off? No, we didn't. Did we surround Atkinson at Anfield demanding he send Maguire off or demand he give us a penalty for a clear foul on Keita? No, we didn't, and we'll pay the price.
I'm sick of seeing this football club do everything by the book and get cheated by one set of cunts after another. We get no recognition for going about things in the right way, on the contrary in fact because the vast majority of the footballing world fucking hates us, especially in this fucked-up shithole of a country.
So that's the unpallatable truth I'm afraid. Jurgen needs to have a re-think whether he wants to be liked or whether he wants to be truly successful by winning PL titles and CL's. I've seen video's of him at Dortmund where he's fucking seething with anger at one injustice or another but I've not seen that side of him here. That needs to change right now.

alaskared

Kloppite
I used to be a massive Suárez fan, thought he was one of them best players I ever saw in a red shirt. I couldn’t understand why other fans hated him, why they couldn’t appreciate having such a talent in the premier league. Today I kinda see their point.
Yeah, it's different when he is their prick instead of ours. Still have to admire his talent and desire in that first goal. Suarez seems to always will it into the net.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI

Simple truth is if we want to win major trophies under Jurgen Klopp then he has to change his approach and get some proper nasty snides in the team. What I wouldn't give for another Smith, Case or Souness. In fact, what I wouldn't give for the whole Souness, Kennedy, Case and McDermott midfield.
You can only get so far playing brilliant attacking football and being honest at the same time. We are living proof of it.
Look at the 2016 Europa League final. Look at last season's CL final. Look at Barca last night. What did they all have in common? They were all packed with snide, cheating shithouses. Each time it happens you can go in the post-match threads and read about gamesmanship and the 'dark arts' but then you get the holier than thou brigade calling people out for saying we should do similar. Well, if you're not happy about it you can just resign yourself to us not winning another pot any time soon.
Look at the 2 games this season in the PL that look like costing us the title. Did we surround Taylor at the Emptyhad demanding Kompany be sent off? No, we didn't. Did we surround Atkinson at Anfield demanding he send Maguire off or demand he give us a penalty for a clear foul on Keita? No, we didn't, and we'll pay the price.
I'm sick of seeing this football club do everything by the book and get cheated by one set of cunts after another. We get no recognition for going about things in the right way, on the contrary in fact because the vast majority of the footballing world fucking hates us, especially in this fucked-up shithole of a country.
So that's the unpallatable truth I'm afraid. Jurgen needs to have a re-think whether he wants to be liked or whether he wants to be truly successful by winning PL titles and CL's. I've seen video's of him at Dortmund where he's fucking seething with anger at one injustice or another but I've not seen that side of him here. That needs to change right now.
I remember the 'holy trinity' of Souness-McDermott and Kennedy. :-)

I think Fabinho is quite a tough guy on the pitch, he can be abit of a nuisance on the pitch. Also, Andy won't take any rubbish from opponents either. You are right, we need a couple of more bad guys in the pitch. Where can we find them though?

I am sure Jürgen is seeing the antics of the opponents and will do something.

Last edited:

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Shit happens. All in all I mean we were a bit unlucky at times.
Conceding goals is part of football.
Some of us here on are understandable upset because of the outcome.
What I don’t get is blaming our manager or our defense. I think we had a very good performance at Barca.
If we had only scored at least twice (Milner, Salah) our chances at Anfield would have been much much better.

jaffod

I remember the 'holy trinity' of Souness-mcdermott and Kennedy. :-)

I think Fabinho is quite a tough guy on the pitch, he can be abit of a nuisance on the pitch. Also, Andy won't take any rubbish from opponents either. You are right, we need a couple of more bad guys in the pitch. Where can we find them though?

I am sure Jürgen is seeing the antics of the opponents and will do something.
I'm not so sure. His teams in Germany had great disciplinary records. I just don't think it's in his make-up as a manager and his record in finals etc backs that up.

treboeth

yeah, I sent a private message to Mascot read something like this.
"
sorry Mate

i'm not trying to be rude. just still steaming, I'm an armchair manager
but i could see the overall negative impact of Klopps decisions in this game,
I dont think he would admit that he showed Barca too much respect.
but it should surely be at the back of his mind.
we had about 6-7 crosses in from the wings in that match, whereas usually its about 16-19
per game. that was a tactical error and a bad decision. thats 1 example of what I mean whe n
I say we did not play Liverpool Football.
"

still angry with the gaffer, still looking to bike, so beware all
You may want to read the Site Rules, pay particular attention to how you respond to other members in general and Mods in particular(Mascot is a Mod)

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
Wow. You have been on here for about a week, you’ve posted 23 messages and you’re already telling one of the more reasonable mods to shut the fuck up. This isnt going to end well.
yeah, I sent a private message to Mascot read something like this.
"
sorry Mate

i'm not trying to be rude. just still steaming, I'm an armchair manager
but i could see the overall negative impact of Klopps decisions in this game,
I dont think he would admit that he showed Barca too much respect.
but it should surely be at the back of his mind.
we had about 6-7 crosses in from the wings in that match, whereas usually its about 16-19
per game. that was a tactical error and a bad decision. thats 1 example of what I mean whe n
I say we did not play Liverpool Football.
"

still angry with the gaffer, still looking to bike, so beware all

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
You may want to read the Site Rules, pay particular attention to how you respond to other members in general and Mods in particular(Mascot is a Mod)
yeah im gonna head over there, if I can find it and take a look, where would I find a list of all the mmods?

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Seriously, how would a more 'adventurous' selection manifested itself in improvements to the performance? All I saw was umpteen chances created, us completely dominating and Barca pinned back in their own half for long periods unable to play their normal game.

In fact when we did set up in a more 'adventurous' way (75 mins on) they pulled us to pieces and we were lucky we didn't end up losing by 5 or 6. A lot of people seem to be overlooking the way the game finished. It wasn't pretty.
What I saw was the Barca defence coping, for the most part, with our pressure. Very often our possession resulted in the ball being passed back and forth across the front of the Barca defence and then get smothered when we tried to penetrate. If we'd had a player in Firmino's position more adept at attacking than Wijnaldum then maybe our attacks would have produced a goal.

Alright Now

What I saw was the Barca defence coping, for the most part, with our pressure. Very often our possession resulted in the ball being passed back and forth across the front of the Barca defence and then get smothered when we tried to penetrate. If we'd had a player in Firmino's position more adept at attacking than Wijnaldum then maybe our attacks would have produced a goal.
Agree. Toward the end of the first half, I thought Mo was dragging Lenglet away and had him on the ropes. I kept hoping Bobby would be healthy enough to get in an take advantage of that with his typical movement.

[email protected]

Nailed it. We gave em too much fucking respect. We played well but really. Their players were mouthy and confrontational, our lads are great players, they just need a kick to get them into a gear where they believe they have the supreme right to inhabit the pitch as well. Allison trod on Suarez' foot at some point, the cunt gets aggro and our 6 foot and a lot, pretty darn big and extremely masculine looking goalie is going all 'all sorry sir'. Wijnaldum was down, did the boot the ball out? Like fuck they did.

We need a swagger. The pitch fucking belongs to us and fuck everyone else. Refs must love to referee our games and teams like Barca, Madrid and all teams of that ilk must love to play us. Not because we're shit but because we're never gonna really give a ref too much to think about and because we're gonna spend 90 minutes apologising our way through. I've said it before and I will say it again. We are just too fucking nice. The only one with that streak is Mané, he needs to have a sot down with a few of the other lads.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
@ILLOK bought you a whole 6 pack of Estrella Damm but you never showed ;-)

Had a few too many myself.
Got mown down in the street by an errant wheelchair user, I went down like I'd been shot, right in front of 2 coppers lol

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Then I guess it's fair to say we all have our own expectations and views. You and some others expect him to maintain the same level of cuntiness regardless of who he plays. Myself and some others expect him to be his competitive self, but leave some of the unnecessary cuntiness out. And it's subjective as to where the line is drawn.
I'm surprised that you expect someone who has bit his opponents 3 times to be able to control himself.

Lazybones

I suppose if winning's more important than the rules of the game maybe we should start bribing the referees too.

Status
Not open for further replies.