• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Barcelona v Liverpool (UCL 1/5/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

• Matip

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 55 41.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wijnaldum [off 78’]

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Keita [off 24’]

• Mane

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Salah

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Henderson [on 22’]

• Firmino [on 78’]

• Origi [on 85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Jones

Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red
UEFA government's job to ban player from Champion League? If they does, then get Messi a retrospective ban for clearly punching Fabinho in the head??

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I wasn't really thinking about corruption, although it can never be excluded entirely. But Kuipers is just a plain bad ref. He's around since a long time now, I've seen him plenty of times in CL games, also when we are not involved. He strikes me as one who can easily be swayed by the players. At one moment during the game, Milner went into Messi in a rough challenge. Messi 'did a Neymar', and rolled himself around during a minute. Milner got the yellow card. Messi did this repeatedly during the game, and every time, our players got in trouble. Once, Messi was even caught by the camera how he looked at the ref after rolling himself around, and then had a good laugh because he had got what he wanted.

I'm sure that these Spanish and Italian clubs pass quite some time scouting refs and studying their in-game reactions, and then tell their players how to act accordingly. Some refs are weaker than others and can be swayed, Kuiper is definitely one of them. If Mané had rolled himself around after being fouled in the box, I'm quite sure that he would have got a penalty.

So, I think that in order to get better in these close ties, our squad has to learn to practice the dark arts too. Not cheating per se, not injuring other players or so, but knowing what the ref's personality is, how he reacts in games, and then ruthlessly take advantage of any perceived weaknesses. That's what Barca did, and it helped them massively.
To be fair to the referee, Milner did not get a yellow card for the barge on Messi. Only Fabinho was booked plus 3 Barca players. I actually thought the referee was pretty even handed on the night. As regards the Messi punch, who actually spotted that in real time?

Flobs

FADA
Thankfully, we won't get him in the return leg at Anfield - thanks be for small mercies. :rolleyes:
Not sure at Anfield with him we would get the crowd advantage hence that ref in our pocket.
That's why he's a poor ref he's a homer if the crowd gets going and with those cheating Barç-tards we surely would.

dockers_strike

So he didn't duck his head out the way?
It's an observation, nothing more.
I'm not slating the lad, and WTF does being a plastic fan have to do with anything?
Clearly he doesnt duck and clearly he doesnt move his head out of the way. So, it's not an observation. It's the comment of a plastic.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
After the Barça game virtually everyone was feeling down, and that includes myself, but on further reflection we have to admit to ourselves that we could've had at least two goals if our finishing had been better. We lost 3-0 and with that score line it makes it look as though we were hammered and yet nothing could be further from the truth. It would also be truthful to say that we had just as much of the game as the Catalan cheats and the only difference between the sides was they clinically put away their chances and we didn't. Therefore, we are still in with a chance, but we will only have success if we can put away the goal chances when they come our way - and chances will come our way because we are at Fortress Anfield. COYR YNWA

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Clearly he doesnt duck and clearly he doesnt move his head out of the way. So, it's not an observation. It's the comment of a plastic.

Ok, I'm sorry for disagreeing.
I'll try and improve, strive to be a proper supporter, like you :rolleyes:

vzok

Thanks for linking that video. I kept searching YouTube for Messi flukes and cheats his way to undeserved victory but couldn’t find it.

William Clarke

The aftermath of the Barça game at the Camp Nutz and it's been confirmed yesterday that Naby Keita is out for the rest of the season, and we all know the reason for that. Our player was sliced down with a two legged tackle and yet did not even get a foul awarded for the unlawful contact. Not only should it have been a foul, but in my opinion it was clearly a bookable offence against our player. It's just another one of the many underhand happenings that occurred at the Camp Nutz that the Catalans got away with. We have to get wise as a club and start playing the dark arts game as they do in Europe. As a club we learnt very early on how to play the European way out on the pitch, so now we have to learn to play the dark arts way on and off the pitch if we are to start winning silverware again back in Europe.

Last edited:

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
As to the above Karius example. Sadio did it early on in Wednesday’s game. He was brought down in the area, ref raised his whistle to his lips, Sadio jumped up and the ref waved play on.
The commentary team on BT pointed it out. Their thinking was that if Sadio stays down we get a pen. Come Tuesday, let’s hope we play on ANY contact to get whatever we can.
If the ref had given that pen then it would have gone to var and it would probably have been chalked off because mane was a fraction offside when the pass is made

jaffod

Apparently cards do carry over and Suarez, Alba and Lenglet are all on yellows. Fuck fair play against these cunts, there's 3 to target straight away. Go down under the slightest touch and wind Suarez up from the 1st minute. If we're clearly going out with 15 minutes left try putting a couple of them out for the season like they did with Naby.
If we do go out I want these cunts to remember Anfield for all the wrong reasons.

jaffod

Apparently cards do carry over and Suarez, Alba and Lenglet are all on yellows. Fuck fair play against these cunts, there's 3 to target straight away. Go down under the slightest touch and wind Suarez up from the 1st minute. If we're clearly going out with 15 minutes left try putting a couple of them out for the season like they did with Naby.
If we do go out I want these cunts to remember Anfield for all the wrong reasons.
Or maybe they don't, I'm now reading they changed the rules a couple of years ago. Disappointing if true. Just have to kick the shit out of them instead I suppose.

dockers_strike

Or maybe they don't, I'm now reading they changed the rules a couple of years ago. Disappointing if true. Just have to kick the shit out of them instead I suppose.
The only way a player can miss the final is by being red carded in either semi. I always maintained it was tough shit if you missed a final because of chalking up 3 yellow cards. The answer was not to get 3 in the first place when you're playing in the latter stages of a knock out comp but the authorities caved into this nonesense that players shouldnt miss a final because of 3 bookable offences. Utter kack.

Show me the Mane

We were better than the scoreline suggested for sure
however thought we were a little naive, particularly Klopp calling for Alisson to go up for the corner
away goal would have been great and we created chances to get one but at times looked over desperate and could have been killed on the break. Will need an early one in the home leg then we will be back in with a chance. Can you imagine the melt down on social media when we win this bastard

Limiescouse

After the Barça game virtually everyone was feeling down, and that includes myself, but on further reflection we have to admit to ourselves that we could've had at least two goals if our finishing had been better. We lost 3-0 and with that score line it makes it look as though we were hammered and yet nothing could be further from the truth. It would also be truthful to say that we had just as much of the game as the Catalan cheats and the only difference between the sides was they clinically put away their chances and we didn't. Therefore, we are still in with a chance, but we will only have success if we can put away the goal chances when they come our way - and chances will come our way because we are at Fortress Anfield. COYR YNWA
There was also a huge element of luck. And I dont mean that as a way to explain away a loss, but as a statement of the reality of the way games between well matched sides are often decided. Look at some of the pivotal moments...Rakatic's bad foul on Naby, Pique bringing down Mane in the box, Fab tackling Messi and the ball ricocheting perfectly for them...these are all things that at pivotal moments in the game went their way and that had nothing to do with quality or execution and had a big impact on the result. The reality is that really good side win tournaments like this less than they should because eventually you come up against a side that it requires a collection of these moments not going against you to be able to get past them. In this tie it didnt happen. But, there was more than enough in that first leg to suggest that if we get a goal in the first 15 mins on Tuesday that we can scare the shit out them.

Last edited:

William Clarke

There was also a huge element of luck. And I dont mean that as a way to explain away a loss, but as a statement of the reality of the way games between well matched sides are often decided. Look at some of the pivotal moments...Rakatic's bad foul on Naby, Pique bringing down Mane in the box, Fab tackling Messi and the ball ricocheting perfectly for them...these are all things that at pivotal moments in the game went their way and that had nothing to do with quality or execution. The reality is that really good side win tournaments like this less than they should because it eventually you come up against a side that it requires a collection of these moments not going against you to be able to get past them. In this tie it didnt happen. But, there was more than enough in that first leg to suggest that if we get a goal int he first 15 mins on Tuesday that we can scare the shit out them.
I am totally in agreement with what you say. As in all games there are moments when it's all down to just luck - luck of the bounce of the ball, luck of a deflection, luck of an unsighted referee, there are so many times when luck does play a big part in the way the games pan out. It can't be argued that we were not in the Barça game for periods of the match and as you have quite rightly pointed out they did have moments when things went luckily right for them. Come Tursday and I believe it will be a whole new ball game. COYR YNWA

Alright Now

Hard to believe we’re down to 2 league matches and Vardy’s hat trick. Been such a thrill. I’m going to have to remember how to sleep in on weekends again.

Off to the gym so I can get warmed up for this one. See you in a few. More importantly hope to see the señor in a few.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I disagree. If we had put our openings away it could have been a manageable 3-2 defeat and all to play for back at Anfield, plus we had decent moments in the game.
An argument that uses "if" to support it is lost before it even got started. We were defeated by Barcelona 3-0, we were hammered as the scoreline suggest. May flatter them a bit, but we lost by that scoreline, so we were hammered.

William Clarke

An argument that uses "if" to support it is lost before it even got started. We were defeated by Barcelona 3-0, we were hammered as the scoreline suggest. May flatter them a bit, but we lost by that scoreline, so we were hammered.
To get hammered is to be totally outplayed by the opposition. Well @lfc.eddie, if (there's that word again) we were outplayed by Barça, then I was watching a totally different match to the one you was watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.