POST MATCH: Bayern v Liverpool (UCL 13/3/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Matip

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Robertson

• Milner [off 87’]

• Henderson [off 13’]

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 83’]

• Mane [GOAL 26’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 148 77.9%
  • Fabinho (on 13’]

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Lallana [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Libero

Another highlight for me
The first half move down the left that ended with the underlap run by Robbo and his rocket shot on goal
Seems to me someone's been coaching him on shooting - and getting that on target with that power on the fly can only help him get more confident on taking the shot in future and not just passing
Heard on the Anfield Wrap sometime recently that the team has been drilling a pattern of play that ends with Robertson getting a shot that sounded something like what we saw. He is going to get one...
He needs to practice more and look to someone like Marcelo and his finishing.

With the amount of times he gets forward there is no reason he can’t be scoring from 5-10 goals a season.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
You get 0 points for making the final of the EL?
That was the season prior. We didn't play in europe in 16/17. I was surprised too of that fact but now I recall that we were all in for that CL ticket and missed out losing to sevilla. Thanks Moreno!

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
He needs to practice more and look to someone like Marcelo and his finishing.

With the amount of times he gets forward there is no reason he can’t be scoring from 5-10 goals a season.
He usually stays out too wide to get into position to get a shot in, and I'm fine with him perfecting his crossing. Especially his passing into the box on the ground have become an artform for him and a treasure for the team. Wouldn't surprise me if Klopp have told to focus on that aspect of his game instead of getting a shot in.

Red over the water

It’s the day after the night before and it feels brilliant! That was a measured, mature, resolute performance against a true European heavyweight, and we sprinkled in the right amount of stardust for the three goals. Big Virg header was lovely - he’s starting to be a real threat in the other box now. Mane’s header was fantastic too, not just because he is so small and still scores a few with his head, but because of the outside of the foot cross by Mo. (Mo gets a slight criticism for not finding Mane when he was wide open, and instead choosing to shoot, but Mane’s second goal shows that Mo can be a provider too).

The highlight was Mane’s first goal. A swerving pass over the top from Van Dijk and Mane runs from outside to in, getting on the inside of the defender. The ball drops over his shoulder and he controls it instantly. Neuer rushes out, which is what a modern proactive goalkeeper does, and nine times out of ten he smothers the situation there. However, Mane’s turn was just so good.

It was like watching a Jack Russell play with a Great Dane!

Sadio turns on a sixpence to get a yard of space, but there’s still plenty to do. It’s not an easy roll into the back of an unguarded net. He has to chip and place a left footed finish into a goal with two defenders trying to stop it, and the goalie trying to get back as well. The whole thing, when put together, should be up there for goal of the season.

I can’t wait for the draw on Friday. I’m hoping for Liverpool v Porto; Barcelona v Man City; Juventus v Man Utd and Ajax v Spurs. Barcelona will beat City at their own possession based game. Juventus have too much for Man Utd.

Ideally the semi finals will be Liverpool v Spurs/Ajax and Barcelona v Juventus.

Bring it on! The reds are marching up the hill.

LeoT

That's 3 shots on target for Matip in his last 4 matches, all of them at the wrong end. :-)

Having said that, I don't blame him because at least he tried to do something about the ball being crossed rather than just letting the ball run past him for the opposition player behind him. And he didn't seem to let the own goal disturb him. Other then the unavoidable OG, I think he played quite well.

Limiescouse

That's 3 shots on target for Matip in his last 4 matches, all of them at the wrong end. :-)

Having said that, I don't blame him because at least he tried to do something about the ball being crossed rather than just letting the ball run past him for the opposition player behind him. And he didn't seem to let the own goal disturb him. Other then the unavoidable OG, I think he played quite well.
Any single case you say it was simple bad luck. However, as you say in 3 big matches over the last 4 or 5 games he has done exactly the same, only preventing scoring all 3 because of a top class save and an linesman's flag. He's doing well to get in position to cut out the cross, but if he's doing it with a body position in which his only option is to put it on goal and hope someone else bails him out then he needs to work on his body position.

In a more general sense though, this spell in the side has been a return to form for him. He was excellent when he first got here, to the point that there was a stats that showed a very strong correlation between him playing and us getting points. That form disappeared for a long while, but appears to be back.

RodM

Didn't Mane miss one from that range the other week? I agree that he did OK for the most part. I quite like having two tall cenre backs. It must be quite intimidating to opposition forwards.

FGred

Five year rolling score, and we have a zero in one of the years, as well as a fairly mediocre 10 in the 14/15 year that is next to drop away. Missing out on any points in a year hurts. It will likely be a couple of years before LFC can break into the top 8, already the highest ranked club with a zero year. Decent chance of moving past Sevilla and Porto though.
I understand how they work it out but the weighting system is totally wrong I think that the history of the club in the competition should be taken into account and the CL qualification scoring should be higher than the Europa league, if it stays as it is we will stay in pot 2 for ever unless we win it this year of course.

FGred

Just arrived back at home. It was good. It was cold. It was tense. I wasn’t as nervous as I usually am before big games. Was pretty confident we will get the job done from kick off.

Worst moment of the game for me wasn’t Bayern’s goal - it was Salahs chance (was it at 1-1 or 2-1?) - not sure but from the stands it looked like he should definitely passed it to Mané who was in a good position. Salah is trying too hard to get his goal at the moment.
To be fair he supplied the pinpoint pass to mane to score the third

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I understand how they work it out but the weighting system is totally wrong I think that the history of the club in the competition should be taken into account and the CL qualification scoring should be higher than the Europa league, if it stays as it is we will stay in pot 2 for ever unless we win it this year of course.
CL qualification is considerably more than the EL - but Sevilla won the damn thing repeatedly. Winning the EL trumps getting knocked out in the group rounds of the CL. Ironically, getting to the CL year after year is now putting downward pressure on their coefficient.

I don't think you could reasonably go back further than five years, let alone give some kind of weight to past glories. Yeah, Istanbul is legendary, but that happened when today's players were mostly kids. Rodgers' stumbling campaign is far more directly relevant. Just dropping that one puts us past Porto. There is just no getting around the fact that two years ago, we were not even in Europe. I was gutted at the time, that EL final was a devastating setback.

hoosierred

If it was the one I think you are referring to, it was around 74 minutes, a couple of minutes after the 2-1. The pass was on, but the best chance was when Salah's head was turned away, looking at one of the Bayern defenders trying to tackle him. There is an instant just after where Salah might have been able to thread Mane in, but Goretzka is cutting off the direct pass and Salah is in reaction mode by that point
Agree - Mane was in acres of space, but Salah has little space and a tight window to get the pass through.... not nearly as tight as the window he threaded that chip for Mane's second through, but there was no guarentee he could have got a pass through to Mane no matter how inviting that gaping space on the left was.

Limiescouse

CL qualification is considerably more than the EL - but Sevilla won the damn thing repeatedly. Winning the EL trumps getting knocked out in the group rounds of the CL. Ironically, getting to the CL year after year is now putting downward pressure on their coefficient.

I don't think you could reasonably go back further than five years, let alone give some kind of weight to past glories. Yeah, Istanbul is legendary, but that happened when today's players were mostly kids. Rodgers' stumbling campaign is far more directly relevant. Just dropping that one puts us past Porto. There is just no getting around the fact that two years ago, we were not even in Europe. I was gutted at the time, that EL final was a devastating setback.
Yet the penalties for being in the third pot arent really that bad, especially if you a side that is clearly better than that ranking. Last year our draw was spectacular. This year it was tough, but with league winners getting pot 1 priorities it means good sides from other leagues are getting pushed down the pots and so such a draw is possible next year even if we get into the 2nd pot anyway.

Limiescouse

Agree - Mane was in acres of space, but Salah has little space and a tight window to get the pass through.... not nearly as tight as the window he threaded that chip for Mane's second through, but there was no guarentee he could have got a pass through to Mane no matter how inviting that gaping space on the left was.
To me it looked like one of those ones where he had to make room for a pass. And once he'd done that he had enough room to take a shot. Just a shame he got clipped to stop him getting his shot off when he wanted and nothing happened.

hoosierred

A lot of people (24 to be precise) must have been watching a different game to me last night.
Matip was head and shoulders the better of our 2 centre halves.
Matip's otherwise stand out performance suffered a mandatory point deduction for the own goal that dropped him to 3rd in the MotM race. Unfair and and unlucky for him. But he is on a run of form that should remind everyone why he was easily our best defender in his first season with us.

Alright Now

Matip's otherwise stand out performance suffered a mandatory point deduction for the own goal that dropped him to 3rd in the MotM race. Unfair and and unlucky for him. But he is on a run of form that should remind everyone why he was easily our best defender in his first season with us.
He’s been excellent. CB is a tough position—any mistake is construed at best as a lapse of concentration or at worst the end of the world (and let’s get rid and sign de Ligt). Arguably Big Joel has been just as important as Sadio in getting us through a rough patch.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Yet the penalties for being in the third pot arent really that bad, especially if you a side that is clearly better than that ranking. Last year our draw was spectacular. This year it was tough, but with league winners getting pot 1 priorities it means good sides from other leagues are getting pushed down the pots and so such a draw is possible next year even if we get into the 2nd pot anyway.
I think with Pot 1 now being the league winners, the real benefit of being in Pot 2 instead of Pot 3 is that you significantly reduce your chance of being in the 'Group of Death', where a strong Pot 1 and Pot 2 get thrown in with a surging 3. Napoli ended up being one of the real losers from that draw. But Pot 2 can be as strong as Pot 1 - Lokomotiv were woeful and they were Pot 1.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
He’s been excellent. CB is a tough position—any mistake is construed at best as a lapse of concentration or at worst the end of the world (and let’s get rid and sign de Ligt). Arguably Big Joel has been just as important as Sadio in getting us through a rough patch.
At the very least it's made the wait for Gomez to get fit far less painful. I'll go back to what I said previously, hopefully he gets through the rest of the season without injury, and if he can do that then he should be retained for at least another season. I think we cut our losses on Lovren though and bring in another CB.

FGred

I agree but because of those 2 years we seem to be trudging in treacle despite making 2 European finals anyway lets see what happens at the end of may at least we are making shedloads of money qualifying to the next stage regularly