POST MATCH: Bayern v Liverpool (UCL 13/3/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Matip

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Robertson

• Milner [off 87’]

• Henderson [off 13’]

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 83’]

• Mane [GOAL 26’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 148 77.9%
  • Fabinho (on 13’]

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Lallana [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neukolln

I thought the ref was pretty damned good about seeing through a lot of that - the number of times he looked at Lewandowski and gave him that classic Italian shrug was brilliant.
Really big moment, almost match defining IMO, came at 10:04 when the ball was chipped over Virg to Lewandowski and they came together and of course Lewandowski went down. Watching it back in slow mo, Lewandowski actually arm-barred Virg and dove down himself. I didn't think the ref was in great position to see it clearly but he waived it off immediately and said no way. Some refs who prefer the spotlight and to make it all about them might have given the penalty in that exact situation.

Limiescouse

At the very least it's made the wait for Gomez to get fit far less painful. I'll go back to what I said previously, hopefully he gets through the rest of the season without injury, and if he can do that then he should be retained for at least another season. I think we cut our losses on Lovren though and bring in another CB.
I think he's an example of the difference between being genuinely injury prone and simply missing time because of injuries.

Lovren has developed the sort of issues that are likely to flare up repeatedly as a result of simply doing his job. Matip has had some routine muscular injuries, but a big part of his issue has been a complication of the ankle injury we knew he had when we signed him. If that has now passed, as it appears to, there is little reason to think it will play a role in his future availability. That is less the case with Lovren once he becomes available for selection again.

I think there is some truth in the idea that we cannot have our 3rd and 4th choice be physically unreliable and so at least one needs to be moved on. Of course, if Matip is no longer considered physically unreliable it gives Dejan a little bit of extra cover to deal with his issues. However, if we decide to make a move at CB and bring in someone else, then as much as I like Dejan, I think the seeming difference in their physical reliability would surely have to factor into the decision on what to do with these two.

Last edited:

johnoleary

fantastic result,I must say i didnt think we played anywhere near our best,but it was a top away performance.
Despite their excellent record I thought Bayern were very poor,didnt seem or want to really go at us.
mom mane for me,silly card for robertson,dont think its a disaster especially if the first leg is at home,but whatever happens we must not play Milnerat full back,hes great in midfield,but when hes played at the back this season he has looked very slow and been well taken apart by the winger.
I think Porto is the most sensible draw but would love utd with a second leg at Anfield.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
My thoughts:

1. This has a potential to be a season-altering victory. This is the first convincing win over a top club that we've seen in months, and winning away against an in-form Bayern team is especially impressive. With limited exceptions, we have looked lethargic for months, watching our League lead shrink and then disappear with every match. But this victory has a chance to give the boys the bounce they need to go on a tear to end the season. Perhaps, we'll catch fire at just the right moment.

2. People will credit Sadio Mane (he was my MOTM), and justifiably so. While Mo has received all of the platitudes, and Firmino began to receive tremendous praise for his work rate, Mane's brilliance has often gotten short shrift in the media. Sadio Mane is the most gifted forward on our team and one of the elite forwards in Europe. He's faster than Salah (by Mo's own admission), his quickness is a sight to behold, his footwork in the box is absolutely tremendous, and his touch (when he's in form) can be sublime, at it was on that first goal. He deserves more appreciation than he gets.

3. I will never, ever root for our own to get injured. But Hendo does not make some of the same plays - especially in defense - that Fabinho made yesterday. His injury may have saved us from being knocked out. Fabinho needs to start every single match of consequence.

4. Bayern made a mistake starting Ribery. He's a shell of himself. If they had Coman out there from the beginning, that could have caused us more problems.

5. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, Andy! Andy Andy Andy Andy that was a dumb foul.

6. Has Divock Origi regained Klopp's trust? Seems to me that Jurgen has more faith in him now. Perhaps he still has a future here?

7, Lastly, with all due respect to Jurgen, the moment we can claim we're back among the elite in Europe is when we're lifting a trophy. Let's make it happen.

JoniemaximusUK

For what its worth, (i remember seeing some conversation about pots earlier). Most importantly win the league and we're in Pot1, fail to do that just win the Champions League fail to do that and we currently sit 12 in the rankings. This means 4 teams above us need to win their respective leagues or the Champions League or Europa League.

SPAIN: Barcelona are currently 18 points clear of gettafe (if Athletico or Real catch them the result is still one of the teams above us having qualified for pot 1).
FRANCE: PSG are 17 points clear and should win the league
ITALY: Juventus are 18 points clear and should win the league
ENGLAND: Its between us and City if we dont win it they will.

Even if one of those results fail RB Leipzig are the only team likely to catch Dortmund or Bayern and they're 11 points adrift of them.

Long Story Short win the League and the CL and let the others sort themselves out. ;-)

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
If @Scott Jones @Maria stick to what they are doing and if @Alright Now panics every game, I think we are good and will win the double!
I am bloody gutted I missed the 2nd half of the match last night. I missed the best bits. I hope to rewatch the match again. I only saw the highlights.

However,I am absolutely delighted that we got through, not just a score draw but a whopping 3-1 margin in Bayern's back garden. :cheers:. Honestly, I really thought The Mighty Bayern were going to give us a hard time and with their world class team and was dreading that it was going to go to extra time and penalties.

Mane's first goal was a beauty and Virgil's header was magnificent. These two are just on another level.

I know our manager is an honourable man and is gracious in defeat as well. He would never be disrespectful to Bayern, despite that club stealing the players from his previous club and have his team unsettled, especially, just before a Champions League final in 2013
So I will say it on his behalf. This win is for all the underhanded dealing Bayern do by stealing players from smaller clubs and acting like a bully club and the Oscar winning acting performances by their players on the pitch.

"Karma is like a rubber band, you can only stretch it so far, before it smacks you back in the face" :well done:

Well done Redmen and our wonderful travelling kop.:cheers::well done:

Last edited:

Arminius

FSG PR plant

3. I will never, ever root for our own to get injured. But Hendo does not make some of the same plays - especially in defense - that Fabinho made yesterday. His injury may have saved us from being knocked out. Fabinho needs to start every single match of consequence.
I think that was key, and not necessarily because Henderson would not have made the individual plays. A lot of us were leery of that midfield before kickoff, and something clearly wasn't working. In LFC possession, Bayern was stifling the ability to move the ball anywhere but back to the keeper. Defensively, they just seemed to be able to move it around the midfield a few steps ahead of Henderson chasing it futilely. I don't even know how Fabinho changed what was happening, but it was almost like a light switch. I don't fault Henderson particularly, more that Henderson's injury may have saved Klopp from what in hindsight might have been a poor choice.

Wilkored08

I am bloody gutted I missed the 2nd half of the match last night. I missed the best bits. I hope to rewatch the match again. I only saw the highlights.

However,I am absolutely delighted that we got through, not just a score draw but a whopping 3-1 margin in Bayern's back garden. :cheers:. Honestly, I really thought The Mighty Bayern were going to give us a hard time and with their world class team and was dreading that it was going to go to extra time and penalties.

Mane's first goal was a beauty and Virgil's header was magnificent. These two are just on another level.

I know our manager is an honourable man and is gracious in defeat as well. He would never be disrespectful to Bayern, despite that club stealing the players from his previous club and have his team unsettled, especially, just before a Champions League final in 2013
So I will say it on his behalf. This win is for all the underhanded dealing Bayern do by stealing players from smaller clubs and acting like a bully club and the Oscar winning performances by their players on the pitch.

"Karma is like a rubber band, you can only stretch it so far, before it smacks you back in the face" :well done:

Well done Redmen and our wonderful travelling kop.:cheers::well done:
Try and watch the videos of the 'kop' singing in stair wells and in town...a case of wish I was there.

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
Thought I'd let the dust settle after an epic result. Don't know about others but the game felt like a final to me. Quite slow during the first half with bother teams probing. No doubt about who deserved to win though with clinical finishing from us. I really wanted us to be more gung ho, but in the end it was patience and class that won the day. Hope we get utd next round.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Judging players seems to be a difficult job.
Here on the performance of Matip is rated highly.

Talked today with that earlier Bayern player who was in the stadium
He told me that Matip had a very bad game. Matip also wasn’t rated high in some German newspapers.

Seems it all depends on the point of view.

Commando

He told me that Matip had a very bad game. Matip also wasn’t rated high in some German newspapers.

Some were criticising him earlier in this thread. In fact most post match threads will have polar opposite opinions about some players. As you say, it depends on individual points of view.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI

What were the German sports press saying about this match generally?
Did they think Bayern were going to go through prior to the game?