• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Bayern v Liverpool (UCL 13/3/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Matip

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Robertson

• Milner [off 87’]

• Henderson [off 13’]

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 83’]

• Mane [GOAL 26’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 148 77.9%
  • Fabinho (on 13’]

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Lallana [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flobs

FADA
Judging players seems to be a difficult job.
Here on the performance of Matip is rated highly.

Talked today with that earlier Bayern player who was in the stadium
He told me that Matip had a very bad game. Matip also wasn’t rated high in some German newspapers.

Seems it all depends on the point of view.
He did well in close situations however his positioning relative to our other defenders (ie VVD) at times was poor meaning VVD, TAA and Robertson were having to work harder than necessary. He also got shouted at by VVD a lot relative to this imo.
He's always had a tendance to be too deep recently hehas been better over this but against Bayern it was obvious at least to me he was a little deep on a number of ocassions that caused problems. Still much better than he used to be. I still remember our previous season where he was so bad Klopp completely changed our defensive system which fucked Lovren up and was the principle reason for Lovrens Spurs performance. This is a problem for the Matip VVD partnership as VVD plays so much better as cover yet when Matip plays Matip is cover.
Hope you enjoyed my ramblings. :)

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
What were the German sports press saying about this match generally?
Did they think Bayern were going to go through prior to the game?
Directly after the draw German sports press meant LFC are favorites. So did the fans of Bayern.
But after Bayern’s upwards trajectory during the last months the press went to a 50-50 chance for Bayern to go through.
Only that arrogant bunch of Bayern fans was convinced they would prevail.
Thank god they got the right answer.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
On a positive note regarding football fans, Paul Machin, from Redmen TV had very good words to say about the local Bayern fans in Munich and how respectful they are. They never stopped singing despite losing the match. Away fans can enjoy the experience of the City and atmosphere without fear of being attacked. He also mentioned it was a much nicer atmosphere than what he experienced in Rome.

We could learn alot about German football, reasonable ticket prices, reliable public transport, great organisation at staging events, fantastic stadia, interesting cities, great beer.

So well done Bayern Munich supporters for creating the ultimate fan experience for the away fans. :well done:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
On a positive note regarding football fans, Paul Machin, from Redmen TV had very good words to say about the local Bayern fans in Munich and how respectful they are. They never stopped singing despite losing the match. Away fans can enjoy the experience of the City and atmosphere without fear of being attacked. He also mentioned it was a much nicer atmosphere than what he experienced in Rome.

We could learn alot about German football, reasonable ticket prices, reliable public transport, great organisation at staging events, fantastic stadia, interesting cities, great beer.

So well done Bayern Munich supporters for creating the ultimate fan experience for the away fans. :well done:

I wish I could give this x1000 likes. Although I am biased, Germany really is a beautiful place for many reasons and it's wonderful to hear of these experiences from visitors. I will never care for Bayern as a club but their supporters know football and do deserve positive shouts for treating opposing support with respect and showing them a great time! My heart will forever belong to the city of Berlin but there is beauty to behold everywhere in the country.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I think that was key, and not necessarily because Henderson would not have made the individual plays. A lot of us were leery of that midfield before kickoff, and something clearly wasn't working. In LFC possession, Bayern was stifling the ability to move the ball anywhere but back to the keeper. Defensively, they just seemed to be able to move it around the midfield a few steps ahead of Henderson chasing it futilely. I don't even know how Fabinho changed what was happening, but it was almost like a light switch. I don't fault Henderson particularly, more that Henderson's injury may have saved Klopp from what in hindsight might have been a poor choice.
I think this is a great assessment of the evening and of our midfield situation in general.

Every time I think Hendo is not "good enough for this team" after he fails to shoot, after another 15 sideways passes, after another match where I wish he was as "creative" as some other mythical midfielder from our past or from a current competitor, (in the shadow of an ascendant Fab) or fails to project "charismatic" leadership (in the shadow of an ascendant VVD) - I have to kick myself and recognize all of the trench digging that he does perfectly and unglamorously 99.9% of the time he is on the pitch - the value of which is likely a major part of our success this season.

And then I think of what lies ahead with this team that JK is building and I do believe that Hendo's days are numbered. Cuase JK is all about continuous improvement as a team and as individual players and I'd wager that JK will fill find talent that will make the team stronger/better.

So when I saw no Fab starting and the starting midfield I too was shocked and disappointed. And I too was somewhat "relieved" when Fab came on so early.

But - as we saw with the BM match - that was a prison fight with no holds barred by the home side. I think Hendo would have done a great job for us. We will never know though.

Limiescouse

Saw some nice moments after the game between Niko and Lovren and Niko and Buvac. Obviously he knows Lovren from the Croatian side, but
I think this is a great assessment of the evening and of our midfield situation in general.

Every time I think Hendo is not "good enough for this team" after he fails to shoot, after another 15 sideways passes, after another match where I wish he was as "creative" as some other mythical midfielder from our past or from a current competitor, (in the shadow of an ascendant Fab) or fails to project "charismatic" leadership (in the shadow of an ascendant VVD) - I have to kick myself and recognize all of the trench digging that he does perfectly and unglamorously 99.9% of the time he is on the pitch - the value of which is likely a major part of our success this season.

And then I think of what lies ahead with this team that JK is building and I do believe that Hendo's days are numbered. Cuase JK is all about continuous improvement as a team and as individual players and I'd wager that JK will fill find talent that will make the team stronger/better.
Hendo is sometimes unfairly credited as simply being a player with a good engine, but I think he is a lot more than that. However, the things he is good at require his engine to be intact and for him to cover a ton of ground. He'll be 29 by the beginning of next season and so is likely on his last contract, and could well be allowed to leave the summer before his final year. That would have been a danm good run for anyone

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I wish I could give this x1000 likes. Although I am biased, Germany really is a beautiful place for many reasons and it's wonderful to hear of these experiences from visitors. I will never care for Bayern as a club but their supporters know football and do deserve positive shouts for treating opposing support with respect and showing them a great time! My heart will forever belong to the city of Berlin but there is beauty to behold everywhere in the country.
On my football trip bucket list, is to see a Bundesliga match at Westfalonstadion, see the Olympic stadium in Berlin and I got to see the Allianz as well. This a dream for all fans all over the world who love football. :well done:

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
And now we wait in fear of naked pictures of mazpool running naked in Detroit

Anyone else scared?
But we did not win with that midfield, did we?. Actually we started playing way better when our captain went out. I hope we dont rush him back too early, he may get injured. Lets wrap him in cotton wool and take very good care of him and make him ready for next pre season.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

So when I saw no Fab starting and the starting midfield I too was shocked and disappointed. And I too was somewhat "relieved" when Fab came on so early.

But - as we saw with the BM match - that was a prison fight with no holds barred by the home side. I think Hendo would have done a great job for us. We will never know though.
I actually want to rewatch the first 30 minutes or so, and try to figure out what changed. It is rare that I can see such an obvious macro-level change and really have such a dim idea of what is actually causing it.

My general sense of Henderson is that he is a great asset with the right configuration, but doesn't offer much in the areas that are not his particular strengths - which is why many of have come to dread that Wijnaldum-Henderson-Milner midfield. Wijnaldum can be a great midfielder, but not when he is the most attacking/creative of the group, which he generally is in that three. When he looks to perform the role that he is genuinely superb at, he often sees Henderson and Milner more or less trying to do the same. Milner is somewhat similar to Henderson in many ways, just a little more versatile - for instance, I think Milner is significantly better at drifting out a little wider to use available space.

ptt

2020, head of the table.

Was quite angry to hear the TAW youtube vid where they said (paraphrasing) “Great fans, treated us really well, they never swore at us or anything. Bellends”

Limiescouse

To be fair, it wasnt like we Fabinho coming on immediately changed the game. We eventually wrestled control of it, but to me that didnt appear clear until the second half, and even then that wasnt totally clear until we took the lead. I think it's a little disconnected from what actually happened to suggest the difference was Hendo vs Fab. It looked far more like a cagey boxing match in which the champ pulls away the last 4 rounds after being in what looked like a close fight for 8 rounds.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
To be fair, it wasnt like we Fabinho coming on immediately changed the game. We eventually wrestled control of it, but to me that didnt appear clear until the second half, and even then that wasnt totally clear until we took the lead. I think it's a little disconnected from what actually happened to suggest the difference was Hendo vs Fab. It looked far more like a cagey boxing match in which the champ pulls away the last 4 rounds after being in what looked like a close fight for 8 rounds.
Not for me - I was struck by it within a few minutes, well before we scored. Not a taking control, but at least contesting it, a shift in the pattern of play I had been sure was about to result in a Bayern goal.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
There's probably a bit of spoilage going on, to be honest. Unless we're not absolutely smashing teams 3-0 by half time, we wonder what the fuck is going on, and we aren't we playing like we should. This was us playing one of Europe's elite teams, in their stadium, in a vital winner-take-all match. Was always going to be a cagey affair, and even at our best we weren't going to boss them for 90 minutes. This was a team that had Javi Martinez (a player I always dreamed would come here when he was still at Bilbao), James Rodriguez, and Thiago playing for them in the middle of the park - surely we assumed they'd put up a fight?

Do agree that the midfield started getting a grip on things earlier than the goal, though. We had a bumpy first 15 minutes where we didn't really have to weather a storm per se, but we were on the back foot. Henderson going off didn't help that chaos.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
But we did not win with that midfield, did we?. Actually we started playing way better when our captain went out. I hope we dont rush him back too early, he may get injured. Lets wrap him in cotton wool and take very good care of him and make him ready for next pre season.
Thank fuck you are full of shit :tongue:

Lidoris

TIA New Signing
LFC fans sing Virgil van Dijk song in Munich. Jamie Webster 13/03/19

He’s our centre half
He’s our number 4!
Watch him defend
And we watch him score…
He'll pass the ball
Calm as you like…
He’s Virgil van Dijk
He’s Virgil van Dijk

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I don't know if it has been posted yet, but on the official lfc site, there is a fantastic video to watch; Inside Munich: An incredible night at the Allianz

The article is on Klopp and next summer, but there is this gem, a must-view. Hopefully it's open for all to view it, and not only for those having an account.