POST MATCH: Bayern v Liverpool (UCL 13/3/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Matip

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Robertson

• Milner [off 87’]

• Henderson [off 13’]

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 83’]

• Mane [GOAL 26’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 148 77.9%
  • Fabinho (on 13’]

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Lallana [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XMarlin

Not sure what Klopp said at halftime but thank God it's a game of two halves...

Gave it to Mane but VVD demonstrated guts, talent and leadership tonight.

Second half was much better, we stopped playing long ball and settled down.

Job done...now we wait until Friday to see who's next.

YNWA

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
I think my MoM might be Jordan Henderson's injured ankle, for turning the game around. That was a really, really odd first half. Bayern had clear dominance for the first 10-15, and it was looking grim, only a matter of time before shots started raining in. Then Henderson goes off, and in minutes the whole game has shifted completely, Liverpool looking comfortable and slowly building pressure, get the lead, look even better...and then one mistake and into disarray. Lucky to get off the field without giving up another in the first half.

Great second half, patient defence making Bayern work the ball around 50 yards from goal, then sudden presses to unbalance, I'd love to see a time lapse heat map, the first 20 minutes must look like a steady rugby or gridiron football drive that just grinds closer. The second goal changed the energy dramatically, but the corner that produced was the result of sustained pressure.

We have struggled to do this against midtable PL sides, but managed to step up to do it to Bayern at the Allianz. Fantastic stuff, this may end up being a very important match in the evolution of Klopp's Liverpool sides, and certainly this one.
The same happened at City when we lost 2-1

Lynch04

Smeg Head
It was a weird scenario before the game. BM at home, on a good run of form against Us, a team not quite clicking but potentially devastating going forward. At 0-0 the away goal was the key.
They started the better, but we seen that through and got the away goal. They got it back to 1-1 and looked the better team. 2nd half i felt we were quite stable apart from that one cross. Then we got the goal through VVD and cruised it.
My main issue tho, is again we were not EU savy, they were throwing themselves to the ground all the time, Martinez/Thiago/the shit house up front. There were numerous times we could have done the same but didnt. Its not an approach i would like to adopt but it is sometimes needed.

FGred

Are we happy now? That Klopp fella knows what he's doing so no need for anyone to be loosing their shit over the sides he picks........its why he's paid the big bucks and we get to watch.
Munich is a beautiful city, if you haven't been there I'd urge you to go. That team are cynical fuckers though typified by that diving dipshit up front......I never want a fucker that like that playing for the reds.
Only the silly foul and booking for Robbo sightly sours the night but it's only a blip and we can cope.
Yes lewandowski enraged me no end with all the diving

jaffod

That was as comfortable as it gets. Even had to score their goal for them. Fabino, VVD, Matip and Mane the stand-outs. We were fucking superb 2nd half and made them look like journeymen.
Only downside for me (apart from Robbo's card) was Hendo's injury, it's that sort of thing that had me thinking going out wouldn't be too bad as I fear the squad will become stretched the further we go.
Should be an interesting draw.

William Clarke

redshirt
There are some members on site who say anyone in the next round other than Barca or Juve, but what I say is if you want to win something you have to beat something. It really doesn't matter who we get drawn against in the next round. If we're good enough we will win it, and I think we will win it. BELIEVERPOOL

TheSweetSilverSong

Just ecstatic with the win! So many things accomplished than the main thing which was going through to the QFs:
1) Doing so vs a European Giant that has been in SFs in 6 of the last 7 years and have always been in QFs in the last 7 years, and doing so in their own turf, and convincingly so in terms of score (we needed a scoring draw, won 3-1), is massive statement! Shows we can beat anyone!
2) That we kept them from scoring themselves over 2 legs shows a lot about the testing of our defence.
3) That we won away after such a long time in Europe is very important, because it shutters the fear that we couldn't score/get a result/let alone win away. Comes at a time where we'll need it the most, in knock out stages vs quality opposition.
4) With all the talk about our problems scoring (because we failed to score in the two derbies - which was highlighted enough), we scored 5 past Watford (City scored 3), 4 past Burnley (who beat Spurs and drew at Old Trafford vs an "unstoppable" UTD), but people kept saying "only Watford, only Burnley", now they can't say only Bayern. They'll keep focusing on the same about Salah, but the guy is playing good football and the goals will come again, I'm sure - then they'll have to shut up about that too.

I think the first goal was out of this world, what a pass and then what Mane did was simply amazing - every single bit of it.
An unlucky goal to concede, but Robertson was beaten there a moment before so fair play to them for forcing it. They pushed for it and we didn't manage to exploit some open spaces they inevitably left. After their goal, they went back to being compact, and dominated the remainder of the 1st half.
I think that the game was more level in the beginning of the 2nd half, with Bayern still more dominating but us also having a brief spell, and there it was - the Milner corner and VVD beating everything to head the ball in. And that was the moment that changed the game in my opinion, Bayern lost control of the game at that point, and we got more and more into it.
Brilliant result, and wishing for a non english team myself for the QFs.

What an amazing European Night it turned out to be! So happy tonight! :-)

Flobs

FADA
It was a weird scenario before the game. BM at home, on a good run of form against Us, a team not quite clicking but potentially devastating going forward. At 0-0 the away goal was the key.
They started the better, but we seen that through and got the away goal. They got it back to 1-1 and looked the better team. 2nd half i felt we were quite stable apart from that one cross. Then we got the goal through VVD and cruised it.
My main issue tho, is again we were not EU savy, they were throwing themselves to the ground all the time, Martinez/Thiago/the shit house up front. There were numerous times we could have done the same but didnt. Its not an approach i would like to adopt but it is sometimes needed.
The problem with those 'tactics' is that you have to use them all the time to be proficient, that's just not an option imo. It would mess havoc with our recruitment for starters (we just don't go for players like that).

Arminius

FSG PR plant
There are some members on site who say anyone in the next round other than Barca or Juve, but what I say is if you want to win something you have to beat something. It really doesn't matter who we get drawn against in the next round. If we're good enough we will win it, and I think we will win it. BELIEVERPOOL
I believe Porto in the quarter finals would be brilliant. Survive and advance is all that matters.

Flobs

FADA
I am not up to date on any teams other than Liverpool but 2 legs against Barça is scary. I would certainly prefer them in a one off on neutral soil.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I am not up to date on any teams other than Liverpool but 2 legs against Barça is scary. I would certainly prefer them in a one off on neutral soil.
Juventus are going to be pretty fierce now too. City is a team no one wants to face. Every possible opponent is going to be tough, but with three real heavyweights, the next round is really going to be defined by whether or not any of them draw each other.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
The problem with those 'tactics' is that you have to use them all the time to be proficient, that's just not an option imo. It would mess havoc with our recruitment for starters (we just don't go for players like that).
You miss my point. I dont like that approach to football, it angers me. However, if we went out tonight due to their wilingness to throw themselves to the ground, breaking up play, earning free kicks it would be forgotten about in a months time.
I dont want us to adopt that approach far from it, but if the opposition are getting away with it then at times we need to. There was one incident 2nd half where Salah went through got clipped but carried on to his credit, if it was a BM he would have been rolling. I refuse to mention the Poles name, iv lost a lot of respect for him.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Juventus are going to be pretty fierce now too. City is a team no one wants to face. Every possible opponent is going to be tough, but with three real heavyweights, the next round is really going to be defined by whether or not any of them draw each other.
Whats the chances of a UEFA carve up. Man City will get an easy draw, there will be an all English tie and the other team will get Barca/Juve