• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Bayern v Liverpool (UCL 13/3/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Matip

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Robertson

• Milner [off 87’]

• Henderson [off 13’]

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 83’]

• Mane [GOAL 26’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 148 77.9%
  • Fabinho (on 13’]

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Lallana [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flobs

FADA
Juventus are going to be pretty fierce now too. City is a team no one wants to face. Every possible opponent is going to be tough, but with three real heavyweights, the next round is really going to be defined by whether or not any of them draw each other.
4 heavyweights (no-one better than us). :-)

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
You also miss the fact Bayern were utterly utterly shit, embarrassing for that side to be so bad at home at this stage of Europe.
And here I was thinking a team's performance ( in this case Bayern's) could be heavily influenced by the tactics of their opponents...:think::think:

scouseheadross

Septical
Great second half. Milner, Matip, Virgil all class but Mane motm for a special, game changing first goal.

Wish the next 6' 2 twat that bothers me goes down as easy as Lewandowski did tonight! Nasty stamp on Gini too but we showed a pleasingly cynical edge at times too.

Great atmosphere. Well done the travelling kop for making ynwa heard at the final whistle.

Who next? Porto for me. Unless we buy de Ligt from Ajax before the draw on Friday.

Flobs

FADA
You miss my point. I dont like that approach to football, it angers me. However, if we went out tonight due to their wilingness to throw themselves to the ground, breaking up play, earning free kicks it would be forgotten about in a months time.
I dont want us to adopt that approach far from it, but if the opposition are getting away with it then at times we need to. There was one incident 2nd half where Salah went through got clipped but carried on to his credit, if it was a BM he would have been rolling. I refuse to mention the Poles name, iv lost a lot of respect for him.
My point is that if you don't use it all the time you will get caught out if ever you do dive to those levels. We would just end up having red cards and Bayern would be laughing. Stick at what your good at which for us is pressing and out playing our opponents with skill and technique. Firmino, Salah and Mané did that against Bayern and it worked.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
My point is that if you don't use it all the time you will get caught out if ever you do dive to those levels. We would just end up having red cards and Bayern would be laughing. Stick at what your good at which for us is pressing and out playing our opponents with skill and technique. Firmino, Salah and Mané did that against Bayern and it worked.
I disagree. However, one thing we agree on is that the better what ever the tactics BM used the more honest approach worked this time

Spitfire

Resident Realist
This just reineforces Klopps statements about bulsing a team.

Here we are head and shoulders above every other team in our league excpet a team that arguably has the best squad ever assembled in the premier league.

We have now followed this up by rolling a perenial performer in this competiton in their own backyard.

If you are a player on the up looking for your next move, we must be a pretty attractive proposition.......the funds we get from these results allow us to sign these type of players.

When you are on the bandwagon it's great. We might finally be getting back as a true power in World Football again.

scouseheadross

Septical
Should definitely be a retrospective ban for that stamp on Gini. Horrible. You don't do that by accident. Nasty fuckers do, however, practice the feigned 'oops I didn't mean that' routine.

If only I was an expert on the law id write to uefa. Shame there is never a legal expert in the post match threads. Ever. What a cunt.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Should definitely be a retrospective ban for that stamp on Gini. Horrible. You don't do that by accident. Nasty fuckers do, however, practice the feigned 'oops I didn't mean that' routine.

If only I was an expert on the law id write to uefa. Shame there is never a legal expert in the post match threads. Ever. What a cunt.
You dont have any standing to write to UEFA, there :J

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Whats the chances of a UEFA carve up. Man City will get an easy draw, there will be an all English tie and the other team will get Barca/Juve
Man City fans are paranoid, but I really do think there is now no love lost between UEFA and Man City. We know City more or less bullied their way to the last FFP settlement with UEFA, lied to UEFA before and after...and yet somehow the City fans feel hard done by and boo the anthem.

If there is a frozen ball or two in there, it will be Juventus and Barcelona they will be keeping apart.

FGred

I think Mane got kicked quite a lot in fact I saw him complaining to somebody at the end of the game I just hope he is not injured for Sunday?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
4 heavyweights (no-one better than us). :-)
Can't see us drawing ourselves though....I was commenting purely on how the round would shake out from the perspective of LFC. If those three and LFC end up apart, the quarters might not be that thrilling.

Interesting how four of eight group winners are out already.

BigJon

The turning point in this game was at 12 minutes - when Henderson went off and Fabinho came on. I fear the result could have been very different had that not happened, although I would not wish injury on any player. I think it is now undeniable that the team plays better when Henderson is not involved.
When VVD and Fabinho play, there is no need for a holding midfielder between our penalty box and the halfway line - the role Henderson usually assumes - VVD and Fabinho are good enough together for that style of play to become redundant. In turn, this allows the attacking 3 more freedom to create runs and space in the attacking 3rd. They have the confidence to push on rather than having to drop deep for the ball.
To be honest Henderson - who is undoubtedly a gifted player - does not fit Klopp's system. He is an excellent DM but with VVD and Fabinho the team does not need him - often he is guilty of slowing things down and occasionally he just gets in the way.
At the end of the season, I think a decision needs to be made about the captaincy and about Henderson's long term future at Anfield - there are better options out there.

A great performance tonight - Mane was majestic. He would walk into any team in the world - he is that good.

I am expecting to see Suarez and Coutinho back at Anfield for the next round.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
JK will never make it about him, but what sweet personal vindication for him stomping on Bayern like that. He has got to be exploding with happiness in the dressing room and in private at home. I am happy for him personally. He will never say it, but that was a huge deal for him. There were some ghosts.

Bayern showed everyone outside of Germany why everyone IN Germany hates them. Awful antics and shithouse buffoonery. Someone is going to knock Javi Martinez out some day. And Lewandowski makes Neymar seem honest by comparison.

We've talked about it plenty over the last year, but the moment Mo got hurt in the CL final Mane went into an entirely different zone and has stayed there ever since. He got this wild look in his eyes and he started playing angry, with a very distinct edge of nastiness and won't back down from anyone or any situation. The bigger the moment, the better. He's been our most consistent forward. Tonight I call his performance special.

Regarding the next round, it would be completely unfair to City and to us to draw each other, IMO the two best teams left. And yes, that includes Barca and Juve. It would make it a relative cake walk to the finals for the other teams remaining if City and Liverpool are drawn together. Truthfully, I want to see a Manchester derby drawn.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
You mean the midfield which played 10 minutes?
The midfield which for 60 minutes lost most of the duels and passed to no-one?

We took our chances and blew them away when they finally opened up, but let’s not talk fantasy it was not a top class performance. We did what we needed to, but bar a couple of players we didn’t play well. You also miss the fact Bayern were utterly utterly shit, embarrassing for that side to be so bad at home at this stage of Europe.
The fucking holy mortifying state of you. Excellent performance, dominated one of Europe's top sides who are bang on form and have clawed back the Bundesliga lead, and we did it on their home ground. ONE shot they had all match. ONE. At home. Give the manager and the team you claim to support some fucking credit that maybe - JUST MAYBE - the tactics deployed went some way towards nullifying that.

Christs sake. If you can't be happy after that, all hope is lost.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
this could get weird but here goes....
I spent the lead up to the match watching a 15 minute JK interview with Roger Bennett - I just get very confident and motivated and calm listening to the guy
I just watched the post match presser for the same reasons - and I also had 2 "aha" moments
1. He talked about winning the 2nd half 2-0. I've never heard a manager talk like that before and it was illuminating. (He said this in describing his recollection of the match)
2. He talked about how big it was to come to Munich and give BM VERY few opportunities on goal. It really hit home. The job the team did at for the most part neutering BM in their house - now matter how crap you think BM were on the night - is stunning.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Bayern showed everyone outside of Germany why everyone IN Germany hates them. Awful antics and shithouse buffoonery. Someone is going to knock Javi Martinez out some day. And Lewandowski makes Neymar seem honest by comparison.
I thought the ref was pretty damned good about seeing through a lot of that - the number of times he looked at Lewandowski and gave him that classic Italian shrug was brilliant. I don't even blame him for the Robertson yellow. Sure, Bayern had got away with a few like that, but it was pretty clear in the last 10 minutes or so he was done letting that sort of thing slide, and he could tell some of the Bayern players were becoming petulant. I think Andy was just a little too excited and inexperienced to react properly to the shift the ref made to keep the game under control.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Man City fans are paranoid, but I really do think there is now no love lost between UEFA and Man City. We know City more or less bullied their way to the last FFP settlement with UEFA, lied to UEFA before and after...and yet somehow the City fans feel hard done by and boo the anthem.

If there is a frozen ball or two in there, it will be Juventus and Barcelona they will be keeping apart.
You maybe right. I think i was getting confused between the MC and PSG ownership. I still believe we are guaranteed an all English Q/F, admitedly the odds are in that favour. The painful thing is that even if there were 4 eng teams in the semi finals and i bet on an English team making the final i would still lose

Lynch04

Smeg Head

There was a lot of this going on. Admitedly Mane stud/stood on someones foot (happens most games) but BM got away with alot of raised tackles and at least 2 scissor tackles

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I thought the ref was pretty damned good about seeing through a lot of that - the number of times he looked at Lewandowski and gave him that classic Italian shrug was brilliant. I don't even blame him for the Robertson yellow. Sure, Bayern had got away with a few like that, but it was pretty clear in the last 10 minutes or so he was done letting that sort of thing slide, and he could tell some of the Bayern players were becoming petulant. I think Andy was just a little too excited and inexperienced to react properly to the shift the ref made to keep the game under control.
I agree to a certain extent, but there were alot of theatrics Lewandowski got away with/benefit decision and also alot of bad tackles in terms of execuion BM got away with

HippyChopper

There was a moment tonight when it was 3v2 or 4v3 against our defence, with Lewandowski on the ball, and with his confidence of been a world class striker decided to try get past Van Dijk!!

He turned left, Van glided left and then he turned right into the open space but Van had already closed off that space for anything more than a meaning less shot at goal. No one goes past Van Dijk.

MOTM Van Dijk

I've never seen one player change a defence so much .

Lynch04

Smeg Head
There was a moment tonight when it was 3v2 or 4v3 against our defence, with Lewandowski on the ball, and with his confidence of been a world class striker decided to try get past Van Dijk!!

He turned left, Van glided left and then he turned right into the open space but Van had already closed off that space for anything more than a meaning less shot at goal. No one goes past Van Dijk.

MOTM Van Dijk

I've never seen one player change a defence so much .
I cant quite remember the moment you mention but the man is immense, in both presence of performance and inspiration.
I am pretty sure i was one of the first to coin him as being a Rolls Royce but that is what he is, he just oozes it.

I must give special mention to Matip, okay he scored an own goal but what could he do? I actually thought it was one of his best games defensively for us, we just need to put some meat on those gangly arms of hus