• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 2

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Job Done - hurdle leaped - onto the Derby.

We were never going to be world beaters today because we didn't have to be. I expect the Derby we'll see an upturn in performance.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Comfortable win.

2 goals scored, 0 conceded, no injuries that we know of as yet other than Skrtel getting a bang on the head.

I'll take that.

WrongIslander

Unlucky Bournemouth, that was a proud performance from a team that do things the right way and they deserved a lot more. In the end despite playing like a group of individuals we had too much quality.

Rodgers makes two subs 3 days before a Merseyside derby and who comes off with 7 minutes to go? Gerrard? Suarez? Sturridge? Maybe even Henderson? No a fucking loan player from Chelsea (and Coutinho).

I am really concerned about this club since the two losses to City and Chelsea but not including either of those results. It's the poor decisions afterwards and the lack of any guts in the transfer market.

Something is very wrong and I'm worried.

Job done but that's all, more questions than answers once again.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Happy days, we won despite not being at our best, kept a rare clean sheet, no injuries, hopefully we will be better on Tuesday.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Good win against a determined team on a very dodgy pitch. What's not to be civil about? Surely nobody can extract negativity from that performance?

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Poor game but the result is what matters. Kept a clean sheet for a change. Performance was a bit flat really. Cissokho continues to look like a fat slow Djimi Traore to me. Moses did ok today and at least looked interested. Kelly still looks unfit and should have conceded a penalty for a blatant shirt pull. Coutinho? is he showing something like his normal form which is well below what we saw at the tail end of last season.......I hope not.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
3 things stand out for me from this game.

How to control the midfield with stevie deep.
We still look susceptible from crosses.
How do we get SaS playing centrally without giving up either a) a wing or b. midfield control or c) playing 3 and the back.

That 3rd one is gonna define our season i think. People may be saying Stevie needs to be benched but I think it would take more balls to leave one of SaS on the bench as an impact sub. Thus keeping the balance and organisation the team has shown when only one of SoS has been available.

Come on Brendan. Show me the answer por favor.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Good scrappy win for the squad today. Could have easily been 3-4 once Bournemouth opened up play trying to scratch a goal. Sturridge MOTM for me today. He always shows a spirit in defending that I appreciate from a striker. His finish was good, but that chip volley that hit the crossbar was class, even without going in.

Coutinho looked shit in the first 45, but grew into the central role as the match went on.

Cissokho was bad today. He really is not up to snuff. When in possession, he quickly turns it over. He also can't seem to find the right space for positional defending when opponents are making runs as our goal.

Gerrard and Henderson did enough, but not much else.

WrongIslander

I despair at what has become of this club if the responses in this thread are anything to go by.

tesh

TIA New Signing
OOTer said:
Fuck me you'd think most of you have managed a football team before the amount of shit Rodgers is getting.

I can see why it would be good to rest some players but also why keeping the experienced heads on to see out the game calmly would have some worth too.

If we loose to Everton I can see everyone blaming this game rather than having no 3rd strong CM to play with Stevie and Hendo. Not saying we're gonna loose but i think people are writing those posts now already.

Congrats to the team. Grew into the game and grafted a result keeping us in the hunt for another trophy. Happy with what I saw today. Not ecstatic, but happy.

YNWA
First, this is an opinion based site.

Second, we are on here because we support the club and think we know best.

Third, this game is not THAT important. Losing DS/SG/LS/Skrtel and the like is far worse than losing this game.

Fourth, most people on here are not giving BR much, if any abuse. Most here understand he is not a fool and is doing the best out of a very sticky situation.

Fifth, I'm regretting have spent a couple of minutes replying...

Anyway, match won. On to Everton!

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
ptt said:
Good win against a determined team on a very dodgy pitch. What's not to be civil about? Surely nobody can extract negativity from that performance?
WrongIslander did.

Scrappy performance and a bit fortunate to have won by 2 goals due to Bournemouth being unable to take the many chances they got in the 1st half. Moses made a good impression but the rest of the team were pedestrian for the majority of the match. With such an important match coming up in 3 days time it was a bit strange to have fielded the majority of the starting XI and even stranger to not rest some of our key players after getting the 2nd goal. If Brendan really can't trust the likes of Aspas and Alberto to see out even 30mins against a 2nd tier team it really brings into question why he bought them in the first place (and instead sending on loan similar players such as Borini and Suso). In the end if we don't end up winning against Everton (which I pray does not happen) I for one don't want any excuses about tiredness or lack of squad depth coming from Brendan.

Having got all that off my chest though I am happy to progress to the next round of the FA cup and hopefully we get a decent draw tomorrow! :)

Redbelly

TIA Youth Team
Good, if unspectacular win.

Don't know who said it in the match thread, but I'm beginning to think most of the signings are not BR's, and you can tell because he simply doesn't play them, even when the game is in hand and the minutes would aid in their development.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
A pedestrian win but a win nonetheless. Don't understand why Suarez had to play the full game and why Alberto didn't get more minutes. Surely he can't play worse than Coutinho does at the moment.

All in all job done but things don't look good for the Derby.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
ptt said:
Well as your recent thread suggests there might be those who can.

2-0 in to the next round and now 100% focus on the derby. We should take it...we could have easily tripped as a result of looking forward. So it is a good result.

Reactions: ptt

brush85

Professional performance...moving on in the cup and to the next game. Smiles!

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
WrongIslander said:
I am really concerned about this club since the two losses to City and Chelsea but not including either of those results. It's the poor decisions afterwards and the lack of any guts in the transfer market.

Something is very wrong and I'm worried.

Job done but that's all, more questions than answers once again.
I hear what you are saying, but one could argue it takes guts to completely downplay the lack of squad depth we have right now. To say that we can fill our holes internally may take more guts than to purchase help from elsewhere.

All that being said, I think its not a lack of guts that is our problem, rather a lack of confidence in our scouts leading to conservative purchase policy.

Hopefully we are both proven wrong in this last week of the window. Certainly we need to buy a DM, right?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Credit to the opposition. They played well, and played a high line which gave us problems.

But it's job done, two good goals and a clean sheet (a lucky one).

Onwards to the derby now.

okocha10

Football Master
Bournemouth played well, still it looks like they don't know where the goal is.
Sturridge, Suarez and Moses where too much for them.
Too bad Ibe didn't get at least 10 minutes.

WrongIslander

Upstate_Chad said:
I hear what you are saying, but one could argue it takes guts to completely downplay the lack of squad depth we have right now. To say that we can fill our holes internally may take more guts than to purchase help from elsewhere.

All that being said, I think its not a lack of guts that is our problem, rather a lack of confidence in our scouts leading to conservative purchase policy.

Hopefully we are both proven wrong in this last week of the window. Certainly we need to buy a DM, right?
No it takes stupidity. We already are behind in squad depth and now with injuries we're even further behind.

We can't fill the holes internally, we're not even trying to either.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Largely forgettable but a clean sheet has been rare since September, Brendan will take that

Though largely because the Bournemouth attackers though willing were pretty Johnathan Ross. Scuffed shots and twickenhamesque skiers

One fringe player to come up with a good performance was Victor Moses. If he could realise Chelsea won't touch him with Mourinhos, then maybe he might try a bit harder all the time and may be of some use

Toure and Skrtel did what they could but the full back areas are a running sore. Kelly got a short straw on his side but what mobility he has is gone since his injury. Cissokho, well, least I can say is that he tries. A absolute space cadet but he tries. But he can't play against lukaku and Mirallas. Flanagan came back and immediately looked instantly better than both. Both encouraging and disturbing at the same time

Brendan Rodgers and his subs and his seeming total lack of faith in aspas and Alberto though is a bit of a side issue but be that does need looking at. Sturridge and Suarez getting the full 90 was.......suspect though both didnt try too hard I reckon. Did enough to win the game but both I think were shall we say 'conserving energy'. Not much choice otherwise

Otherwise....meh. Doing just enough. But maybe that was all that was needed in the end

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
All about the result today and it looks like we didn't suffer any extra injuries. No complaints here. We won without ever getting out of first gear. Bournemouth gave a decent account of themselves without ever looking like scoring. Tuesday will be a far tougher test for us.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
My only gripe is Coutinho

What's happened to this kid? He used to be so dynamic and smart with the ball. He seems to just want to dribble for a few yards and then unleash one at the net and that's if he hasn't lost it to the defender before he gets to have a slash at it.

I thought this game would be a confidence builder for him but he looked lackluster again.

Is he eating his wheaties?

OOTer

TIA New Signing
tesh said:
First, this is an opinion based site.

Second, we are on here because we support the club and think we know best.

Third, this game is not THAT important. Losing DS/SG/LS/Skrtel and the like is far worse than losing this game.

Fourth, most people on here are not giving BR much, if any abuse. Most here understand he is not a fool and is doing the best out of a very sticky situation.

Fifth, I'm regretting have spent a couple of minutes replying...

Anyway, match won. On to Everton!
No body will remember in ten years time that any of those players were rested vs Bournemouth. They will remember another trophy in our cabinet though.

If Bournemouth had scored one with 10 to go and we had a spine of inexperience then it may have been hard to regain that control. At 2-2 and a reply that could have been an extra 120mins as opposed to an extra 10. Hypothetical, but which one means more rest in the long run.

I get that people wanted rest for the Everton game but we're looking for 4th and maybe more. In the long run it's the result of all games and not one that counts. Hence why I can understand the subs made today. Not saying I agree but I'm willing to give BR the benefit of the doubt see as he has more experience and knowledge than most on here, if not all.

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Haas to login, been a very long time but I've been reading the forums constantly. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people on her ear never happy, cheer the fuck up guys! We won away to a team playing their biggest game ever, windy, none of the calls going our way, ball always randomly bouncing and spinning to their players, without getting out of second gear AND we had cissokho playing again!

So pleased with Brendan taking this seriously, all the jokers on the pre match saying we should play youth team and Aspas wtf! Not sure about you but I hate an fa cup round we are not playing, in fact it kills me when we ain't playing midweek, too long to wait.

Gutted Suarez didn't score but we'll done ?Moses, you stood up today. Couts is a REAL worry, sooooo out of form, too weak in challenges and looks a shadow of the gem we thought we snatched from Milan on the cheap. Good to see Flanno back, no nonsense is what we are crying out for. Now onto that joke of a left back, I personally can't remember worse, he got it all, indecisive, slow, piss poor touch, can't head, cant pass, out of position, refuses to cross, adds nothing to the attack - cissokho, I cringe when I see his name in the lineup and when the ball goes near him, utterly shocking, please come back Enrique.

Anyway, we're in the fifth round! we're fourth with the best run in and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a couple of decent players in before next week. YNWA, be positive guys, we are a club moving forward and winning games.