• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 2

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I would start Flanno against the bitters at right full. It most likely will be Cissokho at left full though which doesn't fill me with any confidence.
City 0-2 at home in the Cup by the way.

WrongIslander

Mignolet

Skrtel Toure Sakho

Sterling Gerrard Henderson Allen Moses

Suarez Sturridge

anglian_red

Pleased to see us get through with no pathetic shambles like at Oldham last year. It looked today as though Brendan & the players had learned a lot from that day.

I was slightly surprised by the team sheet but I think the manner of our exit last year had plenty to do with it. Aside from the keeper and maybe Sterling, it was as full strength as it could really be. For me the highlight was Skrtel playing on after being stapled behind the goal, he was very good today. Strong & assertive, as opposed to his shocking display last year at Oldham which led to Brendan dropping him for the rest of the season.

WrongIslander

SoueysTash said:
And that's why you're not a premier league manager
If he plays that team I'll laugh my bollocks off.

Incidentally there's not that many other options for him, so this could be fun.

Claymenza

I think betting in football should be banned. We complain about footballers being money hungry, the club being stingy on transfers but we're still gambling away results.

With all the match fixing scandals, clubs being sponsored by betting companies, I'm shocked that the fans are not recognizing these unethical patterns...

mkanterman

Not every match is going to be jaw-dropping, eye-popping football. Sometimes you need to just grind out victories. That is what great teams do. Clean sheet was a major positive. We were very tough for them to break down at the back and we need to do that against the blues this week as well. The old adage of defense wins championships never rang so well.

Will say that Suarez has looked like he has just receded from that peak form he was in during a December. Really concerned with the rut that Coutinho is in. He made need a game on the bench to get his head together. He just has seemed lost for 2-3 weeks on the field.

Maybe it's the time to give Alberto a start. He is the kind of player who plays better when he can grow into a game.

But all credit to Sturridge. He started slow but stayed in the game and when Liverpool started to take the momentum and the initiative later in the first half, he was the engine of a lot of the good.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I wouldn't have trusted Aspas, Alberto and co to have won that game today so I can't blame BR for not doing so either. It was a strong team because it's a competition he wants to win and most fans, including me, want to win too. It's 4 more wins now for a trophy, a place in the Europa and, indirectly, another route into the CL.

As it was we played within ourselves. It was a sensible performance. Bournemouth are a decent side, play good, neat, tidy possession football but they don't have the target man who could have hurt us today. At times we looked a bit wobbly but any defence that has Brad Jones behind them is going to lack confidence. Job done as far as I'm concerned and, after that, there can be no excuses of tiredness on Tuesday night.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Mr v said:
dreadin derby now. We got through but that is all. Frustrated with coutinho but most of all henderson. Big investment by our standards and fuck all return. It seems that when we do decide that we are going to compete in the transfer market and spend "big" we have been let down. Please dont anyone tell me hes one for the future or he works hard or he has a great engine or he s box to box or he's a good athlete. We should be getting a lot more for our money.
Moses was better today but im struggling to be optimistic.
Yeah? Because we have soooo many midfielders in that 20M range just banging on our door to come play for us...

Pick your poison. Noboby was complaining about Hendo during that Spurs game against a far superior team, and we have no other options right now.

I don't love the situation either. I don't think anybody does. Like a poker game, you play the cards you are dealt. Right now, we're sitting on a low pocket pair with a flushed flop on the table and the other players in the game have far bigger stacks than us.

Hit runner-runner next two cards and we could be sitting pretty, but still don't have the bankroll to knock anyone out of the tournament yet.

KraznyIvan

Long time reader first time poster. So hello!

For me this was a bit of a dull game, pretty comfortable overall with our performance defined by a few flashes of brilliance, usually followed by someone wasting possession or a good chance.

Only things of note: Gerrard looked great for me in the metronome role. Having another DM back with him in Hendo seemed to shore up route 1 (most of the threat came from the flanks) and allow him to spray the ball around. Unfortunately neither hendo or coutinho covered themselves in glory in the other roles. Id like us to have someone else next to SG in order to have Hendo further forward. Coutinho needs some bench time.

Our full backs seem really unsure on the ball. For me we just dont have the fit personnel to play 4 at the back right now and so I think I'd return to 3-5-2 in the derby (even Kelly can play at CB for me, he was ok defensively but crap on the ball). This also allows SAS to play to their strengths and probably to get Sterling on at RWB.

Jones was poor, needs match fitness.

Good effort by Moses. He can have a spot on the bench for the derby. I was really unhappy not to see Alberto though. I think the lad can really pick a pass and this was possibly the last chance he'd have to impress.

Anyway. Off to have a birthday steak. See you on derby day!

YNWA

anglian_red

Henderson plays better when Gerrard isn't playing. Unfortunately right now Henderson & Gerrard are really the only options open to us, with Lucas out for a while & Allen not travelling today. I would hope Allen is available for Tuesday though.

If Man City go out today, which is currently looking very possible - chucking six kitchen sinks at it as we speak - we have to fancy our chances of winning the FA Cup.

Claymenza

At the same time, why don't we call a spade a spade? Sure it could be useful in a game of poker, but I don't think the likes alberto and aspas are being treated as trump cards in a game of president.

Lucas and gerrard for the resources spent on them, are blocking the way for other top talent who can do better. These are our trump cards. We shouldn't direct our complaints to the bench that our backups are not good enough when we never question why the first team is putting us in that position to begin with.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Any sort of positive result under the present circumstances is something to be celebrated I reckon.

YNWAGerrard

Quite happy with the win to be honest, we didn't play the pretty way but we had the quality to step it up a gear when goals were needed. Thought the defense was solid today, but boy oh boy the pitch really disturbed the flow of our passing game.

Redragbull

Lacklustre performance, lacking cohesion and the ability to stamp authority. Fear a slide is imminent in the league if no reinforcements are brought in and some of our players form doesn't improve dramatically. Our weakness at both full back positions were highlighted by a championship side today. Everton will be a severe test on Tuesday.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I want to see the game before I comment on the result. wasn't getting up at 4:45am to watch with work at 6am.

CanadianRed

2-0 up and he cant take off Sturridge , Gerrard or Saurez , are you kidding me .... is Rodgers going to cry about players being tired if they should lose the derby match ... wtf did moses and Kelly have to come off , were they tired from all the matches they have played this year ... believe Rodgers is a good manager but he makes idiotic moves many a time

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
CanadianRed said:
2-0 up and he cant take off Sturridge , Gerrard or Saurez , are you kidding me .... is Rodgers going to cry about players being tired if they should lose the derby match ... wtf did moses and Kelly have to come off , were they tired from all the matches they have played this year ... believe Rodgers is a good manager but he makes idiotic moves many a time
Hard to say but in Kellys case he looked miles of the pace the whole game. Personally I would have given Aspas half an hour but it seems that he is another cheap signing to add to the scrap heap.

CanadianRed

agree Kelly is not totally fit , but he probably wasn't going to play in derby .... what if Gerrard and Hendo were injured .... who would be in midfield on Tuesday with Allen and Lucas already out

WrongIslander

Redragbull said:
Lacklustre performance, lacking cohesion and the ability to stamp authority. Fear a slide is imminent in the league if no reinforcements are brought in and some of our players form doesn't improve dramatically. Our weakness at both full back positions were highlighted by a championship side today. Everton will be a severe test on Tuesday.
If I don't quote your posts from now on just assume I agree with what you've said as you clearly get it.

jimbo

TIA Regular
Just hope the boys aren't tired especially Sturridge and suarez

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
OOTer said:
3 things stand out for me from this game.

How to control the midfield with stevie deep.
We still look susceptible from crosses.
How do we get SaS playing centrally without giving up either a) a wing or b. midfield control or c) playing 3 and the back.

That 3rd one is gonna define our season i think. People may be saying Stevie needs to be benched but I think it would take more balls to leave one of SaS on the bench as an impact sub. Thus keeping the balance and organisation the team has shown when only one of SoS has been available.

Come on Brendan. Show me the answer por favor.
There are other options. 4312 is something i'd like us to try with Cou behind SaS. Allen, SG and Hendo behind with Allen and Hendo able to get forward while in attack making it a 4132 and both having enough energy to get back to help out. This is what i'd try on Tuesday as we don't seem to have many options (if Allen is fit that is). They'll also provide better cover when the full backs go forward and finally we'll have Cou in a position where he may actually get an assist or goal. Other than that switch Hendo to the left and put Sterling on the right though since he was rested today i can see him starting Tuesday. Without knowing who's fit it's hard to say but since we currently only have 2 fit CBs and 2 fit CMs it may well be a non choice, just play who we have that can run.

liverpool_singh said:
Flanagan really looked off pace today and hardly made any effort tracking back after getting forward. I guess it is to be expected somewhat given he's just come back from an injury but I wouldn't be confident starting him against Everton just yet as he is lacking match fitness. Personally if Sakho is back I would be tempted to go with a back 3.
Even with a back 3 we need decent wing backs. Flanno is better at full back imho which probably means Hendo/Sterling RWB and Cissokho as LWB. Still not good. With Kelly still not playing well after injury i can see Flanno being RB and Cissokho LB whether Sakho is fit or not. In saying that if Allen isn't fit on Tuesday we may well have to put Sakho or Kolo in as a DM, not through choice but because we just don't have any other midfielders that BR seems to trust.

Onto the game, only downsides were Cissokho, Cou and Kelly. Cou picked it up a bit in the second half where he spent more time in the middle. SG was average first half but our best player second half and seemed to be the only one playing the game at full speed. Moses had a better game than usual while DS seemed to have one of his greedy days (that 1 shot where he should have played it across the 6 yd box was beyond greedy). Hendo also seemed to misplace a lot of passes and was almost back to his headless chicken act, just hope he's got it out of his system now.

Bournemouth played well to be fair to them but i still think we could have turned it up a notch if they had scored. They seemed to take the game the right way as well, as a good day out. Their manager laughing at their player falling over in the box was good to see for instance. Only worrying thing is the bang to Skrtel, can't see it keeping him out though so onwards and upwards and just hope with our thin squad we get an easy draw again in the next round.

bes

BR had the selection right. We had 4k fans travel 250+ miles to see the team in a cup game, sure as hell have to reward the fans with competitive nature with your best squad. Last 16 now! Win the next and we're onto the quarter finals. We have no Europe we should be competing in domestic comps.

Coutinho - posted in his player thread

To the midfield saying Gerrard was bad @ DM today are wrong, when you have 2 mids doing all the defensive duties its rough. To look forward and try to play a pass under pressure is rare. Stevie still has it. Would like for him to crack a few shots at goal, everytime I see him get possession beyond the box I pray to see a screamer!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I don't actually think I have seen Suarez tired...saying all that if we were to make the Champions League then I would like it for more than one season which means them playing saturday/Tuesday for prolonged periods.

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
Reflecting on today's team selection and result . First of all well done Brendan for putting out a strong team. It paid off

Everton are also playing today and have fielded a strong side too so no advantage there. We will get what we deserve on Tuesday providing we turn up. My biggest concern is midfield where we are making most opponents look far too good.

Ok we don't have a DM but we don't help ourselves by inviting pressure on ourselves by the negative football our current midfielders are demonstrating. Hendo and the Cou are practically non existent when playing in front of Gerrard. They don't supply killer passes to our front men and encourage the opposition to come on to us. Gerrard only came into the game when he swapped positions with Jordan and started to control the attack.

We can and should move Stevie further forward (for now) and move Jordan back into the defensive role. Philipe should be replaced by Allen to provide options in attack. We have looked at our best this season when we are in full flow going at teams. I haven't seem that since before Xmas?

I hope BR and FSG. Buy a good DM this window but if they don't then we must learn to snuff out teams by taking it to them because we sure as he'll can't sit back.

Our other strength of course was alternating the play out to the RB and LBs. I don't know if we will have any strength there on Tuesday but I will certainly be glad to see Enrique back anytime soon.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
tesh said:
I don't want to belabour the many, many points that people have made about our squad size, injuries and the form of some players but suffice it to say that this game iswas irrelevant. Getting 4th or better is everything. Not fussed about the cup personally.
I am somewhat resigned to the apparent fact that the club leadership/owners are not prioritizing getting 4th this year, based on the expenditure level this window when a CL berth appeared to be coming in reach. Evidently, the Europa League next year is an acceptable level of progress on the season. I am somewhat disappointed, but not going to be unduly upset. If that is indeed the case, I'd just as soon see us playing in the Europa League by winning the great old Cup as by finishing 5th.

Mr v

Semmy said:
Yeah? Because we have soooo many midfielders in that 20M range just banging on our door to come play for us...

Pick your poison. Noboby was complaining about Hendo during that Spurs game against a far superior team, and we have no other options right now.

I don't love the situation either. I don't think anybody does. Like a poker game, you play the cards you are dealt. Right now, we're sitting on a low pocket pair with a flushed flop on the table and the other players in the game have far bigger stacks than us.

Hit runner-runner next two cards and we could be sitting pretty, but still don't have the bankroll to knock anyone out of the tournament yet.
wtf are u on about? we didnt get dealt these cards. We fucking paid for them. I fucking pay to watch these fucking cards and Hendo has been disappointing. For the money he should be doing more. Our perspectives are totally different. Youre gonna end up getting me a ban. You should be on williamhill or something. nice one semi