• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 2

cw37

We were average. But the good thing is we won without any major problems. The pitch looked dodgy. Everyone kept falling. The goals were good finishes. Seeing as i have called him so far it is only fair now i say a BIG well played to Moses. Not just the goal. Look forward to the draw. And also to our next match which we will win easily v The little friends.

Redragbull

basil1492 said:
Hendo also seemed to misplace a lot of passes and was almost back to his headless chicken act, just hope he's got it out of his system now.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Henderson's performances seem to be affected by Gerrard. Without him he seems to be on another level. With him, average to poor. Don't know if that's due to him being so much in awe of our captain and worried about making mistakes or what. He appears to have a much freer spirit and plays without fear when Gerrard is sidelined. Pity because he looks to be going backwards recently.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
So not only is Gerard a past it slow footballer with no discipline that we have to shoe horn into a position because of sentimentality, he adversely affects our future performances by having a negative impact on those around him.

Why can't he just fuck off and retire and let us start progressing.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
In these type of games it's all about getting the job done. Dodgy pitch and a enthusiastic home team bursting with energy, looking to beat the big boys. They created some half chances, but personally I never had any worries. Knew we would create enough to beat them, and in the end the difference in class shone through. Second half was comfortable.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Mr v said:
wtf are u on about? we didnt get dealt these cards. We fucking paid for them. I fucking pay to watch these fucking cards and Hendo has been disappointing. For the money he should be doing more. Our perspectives are totally different. Youre gonna end up getting me a ban. You should be on williamhill or something. nice one semi
The only person who'll get you a ban, is you. Maybe you could accept differing opinions and not fly off the handle when someone disagrees with you?

We paid way too much for Henderson, but that isn't his fault. He is developing into a very good midfielder, and is rightly become a key player. He needs to add consistency to his game, not be cowed when playing with Gerrard, and a lot more composure in front of goal. But in general he is coming on nicely.
redbj said:
So not only is Gerard a past it slow footballer with no discipline that we have to shoe horn into a position because of sentimentality, he adversely affects our future performances by having a negative impact on those around him.
I don't know about you Red, but I'm sick of him selfishly giving his entire career to us at the cost of winning everything he could have. What a cunt.

Mr v

Mascot88 said:
The only person who'll get you a ban, is you. Maybe you could accept differing opinions and not fly off the handle when someone disagrees with you?

We paid way too much for Henderson, but that isn't his fault. He is developing into a very good midfielder, and is rightly become a key player. He needs to add consistency to his game, not be cowed when playing with Gerrard, and a lot more composure in front of goal. But in general he is coming on nicely.

I don't know about you Red, but I'm sick of him selfishly giving his entire career to us at the cost of winning everything he could have. What a cunt.
Mascott i wasnt even talking to her. She quoted me. I dont think im flying off the handle. I agree with you whole heartedly about stevie and Ive not flown off the handle with some opinions on here about our skipper. I have been stunned at some posts. I agree with parts about hendo but not the part about coming on nicely. He cant keep doing that. He has the lot. Im sure of it. But he needs more self belief and as you say, composure. We cannot keep waiting. Give him a run of games pushing forward in a three and if he takes his chances we will have a different player on our hands.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Going forwards we were the better attacking team and deserve to win. Although their goalie didn't do much, failed to keep our lads from scoring. With lessons learned last season in fielding sub par teams against lower division teams, job done in advancing in this FA cup campaign. Back to the premier league and the champions league spot.

lovepool

redbj said:
Gerrard is still a good player and if all our squad had is determination and will to win we would be in a great position

Without Gerrard we would not have any trophies in the last 10 years and probably not have even been in tbe Champions league. Basically we would have been Everton.

I know you are just a casual fan but mate Gerrard gaves us the Olympiakos game the FA Cup final and of course Istanbul, games we will remember forever. If you cannot respect what Gerrard has done for us then who do you respect?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
lovepool said:
Gerrard is still a good player and if all our squad had is determination and will to win we would be in a great position

Without Gerrard we would not have any trophies in the last 10 years and probably not have even been in tbe Champions league. Basically we would have been Everton.

I know you are just a casual fan but mate Gerrard gaves us the Olympiakos game the FA Cup final and of course Istanbul, games we will remember forever. If you cannot respect what Gerrard has done for us then who do you respect?
I think the worst thing about Gerrard is that he supposedly has no capacity whatsoever to understand sarcasm.

lovepool

Arminius said:
I think the worst thing about Gerrard is that he supposedly has no capacity whatsoever to understand sarcasm.
But he can admit it if he is wrong:):):):

Sorry if he was joking. It has been a bit a bit tiring here recently with posters criticising every move. We seem to see faults in our own club but not in others. We have a better team and squad than Everton but everything gets portrayed as being if we are the lesser of the two clubs

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Didn't enoy watching that to be honest, but at least the defence got a bit of extra practice on corners and crosses. We won though and it was a surprise for me to even watch it, I didn't realise the Chinese Buffet would have it on.

Suarez didn't look his usual smiling self today. I hope we can get back to our A game against Everton.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
lovepool said:
But he can admit it if he is wrong:) :):):

Sorry if he was joking. It has been a bit a bit tiring here recently with posters criticising every move. We seem to see faults in our own club but not in others. We have a better team and squad than Everton but everything gets portrayed as being if we are the lesser of the two clubs
Don't worry about it, this forum has always been full of odd people.

There are even 'fans' that bet against the team, apparently for 'fun' and to annoy other people lol

I just feel sorry for them. lol

Canuck33

Banned Users
Mascot88 said:

That's a bit rich, don't you think. It's not he was volunteering all those years for room and board. But who knows, maybe his mother's name is Teresa?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Canuck33 said:
That's a bit rich, don't you think. It's not he was volunteering all those years for room and board. But who knows, maybe his mother's name is Teresa?
Steven Gerrard could have won everything in the game, had he decided to sack off Liverpool and move to one of the many clubs who would have moved heaven and earth to get him. I know he's been well paid, but he'll always be the best player to have never won a league title. Respect is due.

anglian_red

I don't like criticising Steven Gerrard because I feel he's bailed the club out of severe terminal decline. Had he never been a Liverpool trainee, where would Liverpool FC be today? The sad sorry state of the club off the field since the early 1990s has mostly been papered over by Steven Gerrard and a select few who helped him at different times.

However Canuck has a point, even if it may be worded wrongly. Whether we like it or not, Steven Gerrard is nearly 34. He's not got that much longer left. I know people like Beckham have played until 38 recently but Gerrard has played an awful lot of football in his career and has had niggling injuries most of the way through. The amount of football he played upon his breakthrough & the injuries since could've easily seen him go the same way as Michael Owen.

The problem we have now is Gerrard is too big an influence in the team. We've already seen how Henderson & Allen play better when Gerrard's not in the side. We looked at our most balanced in midfield during that Christmas spell when Gerrard wasn't playing. Now he's back, other players have reverted to anonymous. We can't let our next generation, now in their early 20s be overshadowed by Steven Gerrard and fail to develop as footballers. It's not healthy having a near 34 year old as your best player - actually our best player is a 27 year old who, for me, is 70% nailed on to leave this summer.

Brendan has displayed a stunning lack of guts in his religious picking of Gerrard. Maybe that's unfair, because Brendan is fairly unique as Liverpool manager in that he's had Gerrard available to him 98% of the time. Kenny Dalglish was only able to field Steven Gerrard in 18 League games during 11-12. We'll never know whether Kenny would've picked him religiously or not, but it was Kenny Dalglish who finally broke Jamie Carraghers monopoly on a starting XI place. We'll never know how Rafa Benitez would've handled this stage of their careers, both of them were nailed on for a starting place at 30 & 32 when Rafa was still here.

Great managers can wind down players careers in the right manner and at the right time. Somebody eventually has to do it to Frank Lampard at Chelsea, though i suspect that won't be any coach, but rather an executive who doesn't renew his contract. Of course though, reducing Gerrard's influence and vacating the space would be a lot easier without FSG running things, fucking up transfers and spending £31million on footballers who don't play for us.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Surely some people need to take the blinkers off with all this positivity propaganda.

It was a good win against a decent team who gave it everything and a clean sheet is a plus.

Form wise coutinho seems to be struggling. Cissokho is poor in that keft back slot and Henderson after playing well for 5/6 games has been very average again off late. Hopefully he can find his form again.

Moses finally looked liked he cares. He played well and was our only threat on that first half. Sturridges finishing is so clinic he makes those chances look so easy. Great to see Kelly get a decent run out and hopefully he's in good tune for Tuesday.

Would have preferred Suarez to come off earlier his form has dipped a tiny bit and hope its not from tiredness cos he could have been taken off around 60 after second goal. But even a 80% Suarez is still a class act. Lovely assist.

Overall delighted to be in next round. Would even go as far to say u would like Man City at Anfield in the next round.

But our early season form seems to be slipping away. Things aren't as smooth as they were and hope the players can get that fluid football back asap.

But yes there are a few negatives floating about, ignore them if you want but please don't patronise anyone for weighing up pros and cons.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
gasband said:
Yes was just thinking last night that its lucky skrtel hasn't been injured this season as he has given a bit of stability to the backline in a period of instability. Constant changes in personnel bar him and he has been good and no one offers more commit moment than him.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Mr v said:
wtf are u on about? we didnt get dealt these cards. We fucking paid for them. I fucking pay to watch these fucking cards and Hendo has been disappointing. For the money he should be doing more. Our perspectives are totally different. Youre gonna end up getting me a ban. You should be on williamhill or something. nice one semi
If I lived within 5000miles I would pay for those cards too.

And yes, these are the cards we are dealt. We don't run the club we support it. And I support it

If you cannot believe that management (not owners) of the club are doing the best possible job they can I would think you are crazy. As with all careers spent working for someone else, we are bound by the restrictions put on us by those who pay our salaries. In turn, even though mistakes happen from time to time its not like we still aren't doing the best of our abilities.

We are not privy to what is said behind closed doors at the LFC boardroom between the management and owners. BR is not going to put his career on the line by publicly criticizing FSG's decisions on transfer funds and policies because it's THEIR money he and the committee is spending. That would be career suicide for him as a young manager at such a club.

taking that into consideration, understand the following:

While I am not overly happy with what our current roster looks like, I can believe BR is in a difficult position. Possible that Henry et al have told him they will open the purse for transfers once CL is secured but he has to get there first. £30-40mil is a lot of money to spend on a maybe investment of more players for something which may not materialize. If Europe didn't happen they could end up with a bench too deep just for league and paying players salaries for them to sit on the bench sharing playing time.

I don't have the answers, but I am still happy we are in contention for 4th place directly behind some BIG money clubs.

sorry if I offended you sir, but I think Henderson will develop into a good player and he is the only midfielder we have who gives it all every game he plays. He may not have the raw talent of SG but he puts in the effort and that stands for something in my view. Could the same be said for how Carra played? Maybe...

PS...I am a he, not a she.
PPS...Vegas is a much better place to play poker. Should try it sometime

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
I think it's a valid point about Henderson and gerrard. HEndersons performance has dipped since Gerrard came back into the team.

It definitely doesn't warrant ridicule and snide remarks.

It's an accepted theory that other players retreat into their shell when playing with Gerrard and assume less responsibility so I can't see why comments about Gerrards loyalty were brought into the equation.

nikz200

the first half was really poor, and i mean right after we scored we completely looked out of it with bournemouth attacking relentlessly and their defence so well organized. But at least we had a cushion in the 2nd half. If we played like this against a premier league side or a european side, we would have been beaten. So good show by Bournemouth, they played a really good game and tried their hardest. As for us , we must improve, i hope that allen is back from whatever ails him by tuesday/wed, cause we might need him against Everton.

Claymenza

Rafa would have utilised gerrard as a target man at this stage given his finishing. He went on record mentioning this before.

nikz200

Mr v said:
Sure his form has dropped a bit, but seriously, hendo has been a every good option going foward, dont get me wrong, he cant finish to save his life, but he has been doing the little things right. I dont think Hendo should be attacked too much because he can only do as much as where he is played. We all know where his true effectiveness is, and we all saw that against Fulham and against Spurs. He also gave a good account of himself when we played united earlier in the season so relax buddy. Right now we should focus on supporting the players we have. Hendo has to improve, but the important point here is that we know he CAN do better. Im sure he will, his career is not over yet.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
anglian_red said:
I don't like criticising Steven Gerrard because I feel he's bailed the club out of severe terminal decline. Had he never been a Liverpool trainee, where would Liverpool FC be today? The sad sorry state of the club off the field since the early 1990s has mostly been papered over by Steven Gerrard and a select few who helped him at different times.

However Canuck has a point, even if it may be worded wrongly. Whether we like it or not, Steven Gerrard is nearly 34. He's not got that much longer left. I know people like Beckham have played until 38 recently but Gerrard has played an awful lot of football in his career and has had niggling injuries most of the way through. The amount of football he played upon his breakthrough & the injuries since could've easily seen him go the same way as Michael Owen.

The problem we have now is Gerrard is too big an influence in the team. We've already seen how Henderson & Allen play better when Gerrard's not in the side. We looked at our most balanced in midfield during that Christmas spell when Gerrard wasn't playing. Now he's back, other players have reverted to anonymous. We can't let our next generation, now in their early 20s be overshadowed by Steven Gerrard and fail to develop as footballers. It's not healthy having a near 34 year old as your best player - actually our best player is a 27 year old who, for me, is 70% nailed on to leave this summer.

Brendan has displayed a stunning lack of guts in his religious picking of Gerrard. Maybe that's unfair, because Brendan is fairly unique as Liverpool manager in that he's had Gerrard available to him 98% of the time. Kenny Dalglish was only able to field Steven Gerrard in 18 League games during 11-12. We'll never know whether Kenny would've picked him religiously or not, but it was Kenny Dalglish who finally broke Jamie Carraghers monopoly on a starting XI place. We'll never know how Rafa Benitez would've handled this stage of their careers, both of them were nailed on for a starting place at 30 & 32 when Rafa was still here.

Great managers can wind down players careers in the right manner and at the right time. Somebody eventually has to do it to Frank Lampard at Chelsea, though i suspect that won't be any coach, but rather an executive who doesn't renew his contract. Of course though, reducing Gerrard's influence and vacating the space would be a lot easier without FSG running things, fucking up transfers and spending £31million on footballers who don't play for us.
Lucas and Allen are injured, Coutinho is playing like crap. we barely have 11 players to field for a match, but still we fussing whether ferrard should be dropped. to all those who haven't noticed, we have such a thin squad we can't drop Cissokho, let alone Gerrard.

as for Allen and Hendo using Gerrard to fade and not take responsibilty in a match, than they should grow a pair. untill they do so, Gerrard is vital.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Doggie said:
Don't worry about it, this forum has always been full of odd people.

There are even 'fans' that bet against the team, apparently for 'fun' and to annoy other people lol

I just feel sorry for them. lol
Redbj was joking, and I also bet "for" Liverpool to win.
But do you feel better having got that off your chest Dogger?

RaoulDuke

Hardly-Known Member
Dane said:
Redbj was joking, and I also bet "for" Liverpool to win.
But do you feel better having got that off your chest Dogger?
Dane. Maybe you are too old to connect with these people?