• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Bournemouth v Liverpool (EPL 8/12/18 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Matip

• Van Dijk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Fabinho

• Wijnaldum

• Salah [GOAL 25’, 47’, 76’]

Votes: 169 89.9%
  • Shaqiri [off 65’]

• Keita [off 65’]

• Firmino [off 80’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Mane [on 65’]

• Lallana [on 65’]

• Henderson [on 80’]

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
two tricky away games, and two great victories, and we arent at our absolute best yet, however, the season is long and I think Klopp is managing us very very well.The forced changes have had no great effect- we are a bit less fluent but still win and still have a solid defence.

And top of the take. A good feeling and even if its only for a week or two, its a great sign of progress, a sign that man city can be caught and beaten. Oh and salah, not bad for a player who apparently has lost his mojo !

scouseheadross

Septical
two tricky away games, and two great victories, and we arent at our absolute best yet, however, the season is long and I think Klopp is managing us very very well.The forced changes have had no great effect- we are a bit less fluent but still win and still have a solid defence.

And top of the take. A good feeling and even if its only for a week or two, its a great sign of progress, a sign that man city can be caught and beaten. Oh and salah, not bad for a player who apparently has lost his mojo !
Yup, maybe Bobby and Mo are getting over their WC hangovers. Could be an interesting secong half of the season, especially if we add one more creative / attacking player.

Not a big fan of No up top but top goalscorer and the team is top so shows what I know.

Alisson looks a steal at £75m or whatever. The Chelsea lad is decent but much more raw and a goal stopper more than a footballer like our Rameses.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Great to see JK giving Big Joel a huge pat on the back in his post-match presser.

It's a tough caper this professional football thing...ain't so easy to not be playing every week and then performing at your best when you do.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Alisson looks a steal at £75m or whatever. The Chelsea lad is decent but much more raw and a goal stopper more than a footballer like our Rameses.
Chelsea paid for potential and not the finished article. Dunno if that's gonna end up hurting them but the market dictates the price, no way kepa is worth that much. He doesn't command the posts enough, movement in front of goal slightly suspect, doesn't pass that often and that well. Maybe he suits Chelsea's system as a potential guy whos better than Courtois.

FGred

Wasn’t Salah a damn fine chap for not going to ground though, eh ....... !
Yes it was the same mealy mouthed comment they made about the dangerous tackle from Bardsley on Wednesday just good old fashioned hacking but the journalist that really gave that action its real name was Mr Dunn from the mirror who put it at the same level as diving which is another form of cheating.

FGred

I’ve been following this club for many, many years (though not as many as FP) and I can honestly say that I am extremely happy with how things are going right now across the board.

These are very special times - the game has changed so much but our Owners, our coaching team, our manager our players pretty much everything feels so right at the moment. We’ve got a fantastic manager and special group of players and we’re doing great things on the pitch.

Our front 3 and particularly Mo and Sadio seem to be getting back to last season’s form whilst our defence has been incredible. More than that all 4 of our summer signings seem to be up to speed now and showing the quality they have that led to us going out and signing them. Bloody marvellous!
I have supported this great old club of ours since 1963 and after many ups and downs it was a really a wonderful ride especially through the 70s,80s and 90s but I must admit the last 27 years have been a bit patchy and this weekend I had just had a glimmer, touching all wooden material, of what might be another glorious chapter please...god Father Christmas etc

C

Caradoc

I have supported this great old club of ours since 1963 and after many ups and downs it was a really a wonderful ride especially through the 70s,80s and 90s but I must admit the last 27 years have been a bit patchy and this weekend I had just had a glimmer, touching all wooden material, of what might be another glorious chapter please...god Father Christmas etc

Yep, 1966/67 is probably the earliest that I can remember. Just like Welsh rugby did, we’ve had so many false dawns, so I’m well used to it. But Welsh rugby finally got back to where it belongs in 2005, an extremely long wait just like with Liverpool although didn’t we win old Big Ears for the fifth time that year? ;-)

I think the club is in the healthiest state that I can remember since the late ‘80s. Unfortunately, the EPL is probably at the most competitive level that I can remember. I think if the club had had the structure it has now during Houllier’s or Benitez’s tenure we might have won the EPL by now.

Anyway, if not this season then next? I really think that’s where we are now and the wait will hopefully soon be over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commando

Ad-free Member
Still some way to go, but yesterday made a big dent in goal difference between us and City.

At the start of the day they were +14, now only +8
A good week in total for our GD.

Growing up in Egypt, he was of course a die-hard Bournemouth fan. He still has posters of Mark Stein and Carl Fletcher even now.
Thanks for that. I did wonder. :think:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I'd consider recalling Mignolet..................

........and sticking Allison up top.
Did you see how fucking high he jumped for that clearance header?
A top footballer is a top talent anywhere on the pitch. Gerrard in Goals? Would have been better than, well, you know.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
First goal reaction - “Oop, I’m offside, that’s deffo getting flagged. Wait, it’s not? Fucking well in, that’s... arg, ow, why the fuck is Bobby slapping the shite out of me?l

Second goal reaction - “Ow. Ow. Fuck. Arg, that hurts.”

Third goal reaction - “WOOHOOO, I’M BACK!”

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Anyone notice the city fans stopped singing about us around the 42nd minute for some reason?
Were they singing that "if you're happy any you know it clap your hands song" that their owners crested especially for them or that really intelligence celebration of turning their backs to the play

Commando

Ad-free Member
Just watching the full match on LFCTV Go. I have to say that although I'm not his biggest fan, Lee Mason had a very good game. Are the Bournemouth forwards really small? Because Joel Matip looks really big. He didn't look that big on Wednesday. Alisson is doing his best to usurp Ray Clemence as my all time favourite LFC keeper.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Just watching the full match on LFCTV Go. I have to say that although I'm not his biggest fan, Lee Mason had a very good game. Are the Bournemouth forwards really small? Because Joel Matip looks really big. He didn't look that big on Wednesday. Alisson is doing his best to usurp Ray Clemence as my all time favourite LFC keeper.
Josh King and Stanislas are about 6 foot but their other players like Fraser and Brooks are small (Fraser is the shortest player in the league). Burnley have Wood and Barnes up front who are 6'2 or 6'3. Hence why Matip looked smaller lol

Matip is big though, taller than VVD. Just not as strong.

jaffod

Yes i was pleasantly surprised by Mason yesterday, didn't have anything major to do though, played a good advantage for the 2nd goal but I thought he should have booked Cook for raking Salah's ankle.

Red over the water

Just want to comment on another sort of ‘tackle’ creeping into the game that needs to be clamped down on. Quite a lot of defenders are standing on the Achilles heel of the striker as the striker tries to get away from them. As was said above, it’s a sort of raking motion with the studs, and very painful. Variations of this are raking the studs over the ankle and then of course the good old fashioned stamp/stepping on the top of an opponents foot, and with the thin boots that are worn, plus how bony it is on the top of the foot, it’s another painful one.

Refs need to be much more aware of this sort of thing. Occasionally it is accidental, but mostly not. These are professional footballers and they know where their feet are.*

* With a notable exception of Champions League winner Djimi Traore. He just can’t, he just can’t, he just can’t control his feet...

Show me the Mane

Yes, that was horrible and intentional, the nasty piece of work. I was fuming at Cook and delighted when he went down later on.
Karma came quick...lol

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Thank you I had no clue JL died 40 years ago and to be honest I think the Beatles were overrated with their middle of the road music, I am a Stones fan, Oeps now I have done it......lol
I made this mistake on this board once years ago.

Never again...

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
still savouring and enjoying the weekend, unbeaten, top, GD reduction and looking forward. Allison, Robbo and VVD are winners which has infected the others.