Post Match: Brighton v Liverpool (EPL 12/1/19 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 42 24.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Shaqiri [off 71’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firmino

• Mane [off 89’]

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, off 90+3’]

Votes: 33 19.1%
  • Milner [on 71’]

• Keita [on 89’]

• Origi [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Spot on. Personally I would not complain 1 bit if we win our next 16 league matches 1-0
I think it's more the '16 more matches of leading 1-0 with 10 mins to play' that will make us nervous lol. Actually would 100% bite your hand off for that given our defence and therefore chances of retaining all those leads.

...*ah...that was the original point*:think:

Last edited:

Freeman

Fabinho motm for me as playing for first time as CB. Sad to not see Origi a bit earlier, I'm sure he can do much more with more time at his disposal. Ugly win against a high quality Brighton but 3 points anyway and I'm enjoying this with a Guinness right now. Cheers

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I was very frustrated with Henderson 1st half, does that make him a bad player...no. Brighton set up very tight, so to play the finer ball was very hard. Having said that as a team we were very static, there was no real movement and that makes it hard to play a forward ball, thats why we went square so much.
This is my major issue with the fellow football fan, why do players play square balls...because there is usually not a percentage forward pass. Say Hendo plays a ball forward and it gets intercepted we are on the back foot. But mainly, its about shifting the oppositions defensive structure about. You play tip tap football then all of s sudden VVD or Fab can step forward. The oppositions structure loses its shape and hopefully wecan benefit

Show me the Mane

I was very frustrated with Henderson 1st half, does that make him a bad player...no. Brighton set up very tight, so to play the finer ball was very hard. Having said that as a team we were very static, there was no real movement and that makes it hard to play a forward ball, thats why we went square so much.
This is my major issue with the fellow football fan, why do players play square balls...because there is usually not a percentage forward pass. Say Hendo plays a ball forward and it gets intercepted we are on the back foot. But mainly, its about shifting the oppositions defensive structure about. You play tip tap football then all of s sudden VVD or Fab can step forward. The oppositions structure loses its shape and hopefully wecan benefit
Good post
Watch the goal against City away, 5 sideways and 3 or 4 backward passes in it.
Like you say it moves the oppositions formation about leading to space
also it keeps possession and control of the game, the other can't score if they don't have the ball

FilthyBloke

Thought it would be a difficult game and it was. Brighton are no mugs. I quite like Houghton and the job he’s done there.
We were made to work for our win but we have a new found steel these days. A lot of the game wasn’t pretty, large parts were frustrating, but we got what we wanted.
Brighton probably deserved something for the effort they put in and if it was a school sports day they would have been awarded a ‘Best Effort’ certificate but the best team overall won.
There are still a few questions to ask about our midfield fluidity. Something isn’t clicking. Henderson seems to have little self belief whilst keita still hasn’t found himself. Shaqiri doesn’t seem to fit and Wijnandum can disappear for large chunks of the game.
But, as long as we keep getting results it gives the team time to find the answers. Maybe a keita screamer will kick start his career. Maybe lifting a trophy will transform Henderson like David Banner eating gamma radiation.

More big games to come. But for now, I can watch tomorrow’s games with the knowledge that we have done our part. Pressure is back on city.

mikodelniko13

hard fought win . noticeable lack of creativity in the midfield , jordan back pass henderson . we are keeping clean sheets which great but klopp needs to integrate kieta into the team as he is the only one who has potential to create along with shaq attack

Ben64

I would like to applaud the work rate of Mane. He often tracks back to help out in defence, and wins important balls to start our counters. His decision making in the final first frustrates me, but it is never due to any lack of endeavour.

sharkula

I do feel that after gomez injury, the refs have been kinder to liverpool in general
I believe perhaps there is some strong worded feedback from liverpool to the FA and they have responded and try to protect players more

RedinAsia

I could easily run out of adjectives to describe big Virgil, my MOM on so many post match threads this, and last season. His huge price tag is now irrelevant because he's truly world class. On yesterdays performance, 'sicknote' Lovren is just about qualified to clean Virgil's boots. I was so pleased to see Fab taking and giving 'stick'. This guy is also cut out to be a top draw midfielder cum defender. Robbo was a bargain basement buy, and must be fitted with a human dynamo, because he never stops running up and down the left flank. These 3 Muskateers were the backbone of our clean sheet 3 point win!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think you’re right about this. However can we let Brendan go now? It was a while and it’s starting to a bit like an obsession.
He is the last manager before Klopp, which example would you use? Hodgson? Dalglish? Rafa? Houllier? Evans? We can make up a manager that has not managed us to prove a point, but won't be proving much point as we don't know if he would or wouldn't go with the manager if it wasn't Klopp who came calling.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
The MOM voting is following the trend of the reverse fixture, three players in the running. I personally gave my vote to Fabinho, as he is the 5th choice central defender, yet hardly put a foot wrong, and made a huge block at the end of the game.

I used to get very stressed when we were only a goal up towards the end of the game, every opposition attack I would hold my breath. The stress was justified for all those years when we were leaking goals at the back. It used to be a keeper mistake, or a missed header at a set piece that cost us points. The transformed defense has turned my 1 goal nerves into confidence. It has taken a long time, the stress is diminishing game by game.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The MOM voting is following the trend of the reverse fixture
Not sure about trend there my friend, but all I know is that there are actual voters who knows exactly what they are voting for and there are actually the "Brexit - leave or remain" type of voters where they just go with the flow. As soon as the game was over, I saw 11 votes in for Trent Alexander-Arnold, which I thought it's a surprising pick even though I detailed why I gave mine to him. Now, his votes dropped to 4, he lost 7 votes and my guess is it went to either Fabinho, Van Dijk or Salah.

The change your vote thing should always add a new feature in there to show your original vote and your "changing of mind" vote. That be fun to see which of the members in here is riding the popular vote wave. lol Back in the days, when we old folks commit ourselves, there's no turning back, remember those days? :-)

red arizona scott

Not sure about trend there my friend, but all I know is that there are actual voters who knows exactly what they are voting for and there are actually the "Brexit - leave or remain" type of voters where they just go with the flow. As soon as the game was over, I saw 11 votes in for Trent Alexander-Arnold, which I thought it's a surprising pick even though I detailed why I gave mine to him. Now, his votes dropped to 4, he lost 7 votes and my guess is it went to either Fabinho, Van Dijk or Salah.

The change your vote thing should always add a new feature in there to show your original vote and your "changing of mind" vote. That be fun to see which of the members in here is riding the popular vote wave. lol Back in the days, when we old folks commit ourselves, there's no turning back, remember those days? :-)
All I can saw is I saw the list, and reflected on the game. Then I thought, you know what VVD was the most key and consistent player. For me it was between Salah or him but I though of at least 2 frustrating plays by Salah ( the miss didn't bug me as much as a cheap lost possession in the last 15 when it was the time for a safe play). I thought I would be in the true minority in selecting VVD because all his shifts are so good lately and he does it for the most part looking unstressed. (although his barking was appreciated when I thought the team was looking a little less intense in their defending). I was quite surprised he was ahead but I guess a sizable group are seeing what I saw.

Note I didn't give any extra benefit because they played a new position (Fabinho). I am also trying not to judge if they did better than expectations, I was thinking if they did better than anyone else I would have had out there instead of him, and that led me to VVD. And of course I didn't see where others were at before voting.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
You can also see it the other way: Brighton have scored in each and every game at home in the last ten months. Our lads not only broke that run today, but didn't allow them one single shot on target.

So, is it Brighton being a piss poor home team, or Liverpool FC defending really, really, really well? I'm going with the latter! ;-)
Agree to disagree. Felt they were incredibly negative considering we had a makeshift centre back next to a slightly injured right back who was moving very gingerly for the first fifteen minutes. They just sat back in their own half and didn't commit anyone forward until we scored. They looked far more threatening and challenging. If they had started in the same fashion it would have been a far more entertaining game even if the result was the same

macca1970

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46823759
Scroll to the bottom of his BBC prediction page to see his league table, if all his predictions had come in. He's got ManU on 57 pts ffs. A manc fan at heart.

Ha ha. 18 wins and 3 draws predicted for the scum so far? You'd think he'd be adjusting his outlook as the season unfolded, and realise the utter tosh the scum were doing under Mourinho. At the very least to save face with his predictions to bung in a few predicted losses for them to stop himself looking an utter fool with a mid table team joint top of his table.

Great player, but as a commentator..........

Medjool

mate anyone who has the balls to post under the name of this kitchen goddess is good with me, whatever you say about Keita is irrelevant

I hope your doughnuts turn out like Fannys.

C

Caradoc

He is the last manager before Klopp, which example would you use? Hodgson? Dalglish? Rafa? Houllier? Evans? We can make up a manager that has not managed us to prove a point, but won't be proving much point as we don't know if he would or wouldn't go with the manager if it wasn't Klopp who came calling.

He’s got a point though eddie .......... Lucas .......... Wijnaldum .......... Rodgers ........!

Sorry but you do have a habit of targetting certain people over and over and over again. In amongst all of the good stuff you post that is! :-)

melbournered

The MOM voting is following the trend of the reverse fixture, three players in the running. I personally gave my vote to Fabinho, as he is the 5th choice central defender, yet hardly put a foot wrong, and made a huge block at the end of the game.

I used to get very stressed when we were only a goal up towards the end of the game, every opposition attack I would hold my breath. The stress was justified for all those years when we were leaking goals at the back. It used to be a keeper mistake, or a missed header at a set piece that cost us points. The transformed defense has turned my 1 goal nerves into confidence. It has taken a long time, the stress is diminishing game by game.
Yes, but would your heart take another 16 1-0 wins, haha. But seriously you are correct i found myself fairly relaxed after our goal today for example and i'm as nervous as they come! It didn't seem that long ago that when we were defending a set piece or a corner i actually looked away from the TV screen, dreading the almost inevitable goal.
The more pragmatic tactical approach this season taken by Jurgen has helped significantly (apart from the obvious inclusion of Allison). It's funny there are still fans bemoaning our "style of play", that we are lacking an attacking edge, we aren't creative enough or we aren't as exciting as last year.
Statistics don't always tell the story but after 22 games this makes for sobering reading:
2017/18 2018/19
Points 41 57
Goals scored 50 50
Goals against 25 10
Onwards and upwards.

nikz200

Im not a big fan of CB Fabinho, but given the current availabilities and shape he has done well to follow Klopps instructions and play next to Van dijk. Got in some good blocks off crosses into the box as well. Henderson today did the business, alongside Gini. Salah did well to win that pen and then put it away like a ace player. Mane and Shaqiri seemed to have dropped in overall form a bit. I would say that Keita would have been ideal to inject some forward life into this team but he himself has looked injured and not totally in form. I do feel we need a attack injection from this window, simply because unless the team can score 2 goals per game i don't know if we can last just based on the defence alone, as amazing Van Dijk and Alisson are. Still good win, important to bounce back from city n wolves loss. Now we need to power through till we face the scum.

LFCFFC

Much nicer watching this one again without the stress of holding a 1-0 lead for half the game.

We were clinical, definitely not at our best but got the job done and that's all you can ask.