Post Match: Brighton v Liverpool (EPL 12/1/19 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 42 24.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Shaqiri [off 71’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firmino

• Mane [off 89’]

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, off 90+3’]

Votes: 33 19.1%
  • Milner [on 71’]

• Keita [on 89’]

• Origi [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Sami Hypia has always been my absolute favourite player for Liverpool.

However Virgil might just end up pipping him.

He is just immense, the type of guy that anyone would want alongside them in the trenches.

The best bit......he was desperate to play for Liverpool.

Perfect.
Fun fact both players been at William II a club named after a famous king. The King title fits both players imo. oh sami sami.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
Best and most catchy football song ever :-)
I was listening the original so many times in recent years...thinking how great it would be to hear it from LFC supporters.

I want to see Anfield crowd jumping crazy like this to this song :celebrating:
What an amazing song and an even crazier atmosphere! Let's make Anfield rock again on a regular EPL day!!!!

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Another point I didn’t mention.. Fabinho really stepped up and Matip was on the bench.. Excellent signs the defensive crisis of 2019 lasted 2 days!

*Edit just saw Caradoc! Great mind and all that.. Edwards played a blinder, we’ve not even seen him as a right back yet!

Red Eyes

I don’t think Shaq has had the rub of the green recently.

Lovely glancing header yesterday that just missed, winning the ball from much taller defenders.

The free kick against Wolves was immaculate, and only kept out by a glitch in the matrix or a lick of paint.

More to come from him.

Maria

I missed it live yesterday. Great win.
I watched the MOTD highlights and the LFC tv highlights today. It was a tough match. I think we looked the better team overall.

How are you all today? Nice to know little Leo is doing well

William Clarke

redshirt
For all the first half and large lumps of the second the game was played in the Brighton half. We were so dominant that it's hard to believe we scored only the one goal.

Another point that I would like to make is about the stupidity of the Brighton fans. They were going off on one every time something happened to one of their players. I am not a particular fan of referee Friend, but I thought he controlled the match very well - and that's something I rarely say when he's in charge of one of our games. And the 'it's not fair' hysteria of the crowd seemed to infect the Brighton manager who saw things in the game which were simply not there, saying they did not get a fair rub of the green from the ref. I am just amazed that he thought his team should have got something from the game. They did, Chris, NO POINTS

Wilkored08

I watched the MOTD highlights and the LFC tv highlights today. It was a tough match. I think we looked the better team overall.

Tried, tried and tried to get a stream...( thanks Semmy) but alas no...listened to game with Steven Warnock(not literally)... We need to be more clinical in front of goal.

Show me the Mane

Only City, Chelsea and Arsenal to take any points off us this season
The "smaller" clubs haven't had a sniff yet, they have been tough games amongst them but I believe it's the defence and keeper that have made the difference with all those clean sheets you only need the one goal to win the game rather than two or three like in the past. I described Alisson at the start of the season as a brick.
Well, our back 4 are a brick wall.
The forwards also have to take credit for this too. As they score so many goals that teams have been sacred to attack us as to leave too much space in behind for us so we are winning both ways 1-0 etc against defensive sides and 4-0 vs Bournemouth who left gaps.
Happy days...:J

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
More quality from the full backs again yesterday - Robbo's cross for Firmino and Trent's ball for Shaqiri. These two have added so much to our attacking game, we've never had a pair of fullbacks who deliver so consistently (modern era). The days of Clyne and Moreno breaking down attacks are well behind us.

Last edited:

Maria

Tried, tried and tried to get a stream...( thanks Semmy) but alas no...listened to game with Steven Warnock(not literally)... We need to be more clinical in front of goal.
Yes, I think it will come 2nd half of the season, doesn't the team have that warm weather training to come as well? I think Klopp will make a note on it. My worries are the injuries we have. I just hope we can get through it all by the time we start playing the Champions league matches.

I honestly thought we would perhaps get a 1-1 draw. Brighton are well organised and solid team all round. I have a soft spot for Chris Huyton, he was very complementary about Liverpool and didn't dispute the penalty like most managers do.

Maria

I think, the lads need to play every game from now on as if it was a final or or a battle to survive. The club's further down the table would want to fight harder to stay away from the relegation zone or try to get near a top 6th position. Every game is hard in the EPL, but if our defence is consistent, we have a good chance.

wibseyred

I think, the lads need to play every game from now on as if it was a final or or a battle to survive. The club's further down the table would want to fight harder to stay away from the relegation zone or try to get near a top 6th position. Every game is hard in the EPL, but if our defence is consistent, we have a good chance.
To be fair they will be doing that anyway.

Nur der BvB09

Yes, I think it will come 2nd half of the season, doesn't the team have that warm weather training to come as well? I think Klopp will make a note on it. My worries are the injuries we have. I just hope we can get through it all by the time we start playing the Champions league matches.

I honestly thought we would perhaps get a 1-1 draw. Brighton are well organised and solid team all round. I have a soft spot for Chris Huyton, he was very complementary about Liverpool and didn't dispute the penalty like most managers do.
This Comes out when Managers aknowledge and apreciate the opponent like Klopp always does to the other Managers.

Last edited:

FGred

I watched it again this morning and I am still scratching my head how we didn’t score more goals a wee bit of luck we should have won 4 or 5:0

jaffod

I watched it again this morning and I am still scratching my head how we didn’t score more goals a wee bit of luck we should have won 4 or 5:0

Brighton's whole game plan in both games has been to stop us scoring with no ambition to score themselves. They are probably the most organised side to come to Anfield this season so it's no problem to only beat them 1-0.
We should have got a couple more but the important thing is most of these teams aren't getting a sniff against us.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
You know the first half was so boring that i decided to switch to watch animal planet instead. Glad my favourite fluffy egyptian cloud of hair scored though.

On another note, did you know that one snail has more than 20,000 teeth?
I bet all the other snails look at it oddly.

Is it the Firmino Snail?

Medjool

Wilko, living where I do I watch all our games on that totalsportek off the Match day streams thread. It often takes a while to find a link and sometimes I have to change links but it rarely let's me down. Worst thing is its usually NBCsN or something and the pundits and commentators aren't exactly pro L'pool.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Ha ha. 18 wins and 3 draws predicted for the scum so far? You'd think he'd be adjusting his outlook as the season unfolded, and realise the utter tosh the scum were doing under Mourinho. At the very least to save face with his predictions to bung in a few predicted losses for them to stop himself looking an utter fool with a mid table team joint top of his table.

Great player, but as a commentator..........
It was the same last year and the year before. He can't accept they aren't challengers any more and seems locked in to the mindset that we can only play gung-ho football like last season. He predicted us to draw with Brighton and they would score.... I basically check his predictions just to see how Manchester biased he is each round

Wilkored08

Wilko, living where I do I watch all our games on that totalsportek off the Match day streams thread. It often takes a while to find a link and sometimes I have to change links but it rarely let's me down. Worst thing is its usually NBCsN or something and the pundits and commentators aren't exactly pro L'pool.
Cheers...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He’s got a point though eddie .......... Lucas .......... Wijnaldum .......... Rodgers ........!

Sorry but you do have a habit of targetting certain people over and over and over again. In amongst all of the good stuff you post that is! :-)
Err.... someone mentioned Van Dijk can't wait to play for Liverpool, and I corrected the guy saying it's not Liverpool but Klopp he can't wait to play for. And I gave an example that he won't be jumping up and down with ecstasy if it was Rodgers approaching him. What is so wrong with that? It is a fact that he wanted to join Liverpool to play for Klopp. Targeting what exactly?

I am critical over everyone if they aren't up to standard. You've missed out Henderson, Mane, Lovren..... a certain people? Perhaps it's best to see the bigger picture before getting involve sometimes?

C

Caradoc

Err.... someone mentioned Van Dijk can't wait to play for Liverpool, and I corrected the guy saying it's not Liverpool but Klopp he can't wait to play for. And I gave an example that he won't be jumping up and down with ecstasy if it was Rodgers approaching him. What is so wrong with that? It is a fact that he wanted to join Liverpool to play for Klopp. Targeting what exactly?

I am critical over everyone if they aren't up to standard. You've missed out Henderson, Mane, Lovren..... a certain people? Perhaps it's best to see the bigger picture before getting involve sometimes?

But we were talking about you eddie not other people. I was making an observation but went to great pains to compliment you over your general contribution. This isn’t personal eddie but I can’t stop you from taking it that way if that is what you choose to do.

You may well have been making a valid point but running in parallel with this is your constant tendency to find relatively few positives in certain people ..... again Lucas, Wijnaldum and Rodgers ....... so you can hardly complain if others see all negative comments you make about these people as part and parcel of the same thing without pausing to think about your actual point. At the end of the day it is you who has created this perception ed.

Anyway, I really don’t want to fall out with you eddie. I wish I hadn’t said anything now.

Last edited by a moderator: