Post Match: Brighton v Liverpool (EPL 12/1/19 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 42 24.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Shaqiri [off 71’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firmino

• Mane [off 89’]

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, off 90+3’]

Votes: 33 19.1%
  • Milner [on 71’]

• Keita [on 89’]

• Origi [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dockers_strike

Sorry if this has already been posted but hahaha. What a load of cobblers people spout on social media.

Man City fans blast Liverpool 'conspiracy'
You know things are going well when people are accusing you benefiting from a conspiracy.
Such is the case now with Liverpool, whose lead at the top of the Premier League has been stretched to seven points.
Manchester City, though, remain the champions, although not if Jonathan Pearce is to be believed. Apparently.
It’s been claimed Pearce referred to the Reds as ‘champions’ during his commentary for the win over Brighton on Match of the Day on Saturday night.
Jonathan Pearce calling Liverpool the defending champions on Match of the Day . Talk about jinxing it
— Warren Sauvage (@wsauv) January 13, 2019
BBC init, 1-0 scrappy away win shown first because it’s Liverpool
— _Mathaiiss (@BernxdoBHA) January 12, 2019
Pretty sure I just heard Jonathan Pearce call Liverpool the champions, have they won it already @GaryLineker? #MOTD
— Geoff Duxbury (@GeoffDux) January 12, 2019
The agenda is real @BBCMOTD by the way the champions are in blue & won it by 19 points.
— Frazer Hennessey (@FrazerHennessey) January 12, 2019
Meanwhile, here’s what some Brighton fans have been saying.
Sorry #mcfc fans but the FA have got their back. Title is done. Disgrace
— We Are Brighton (@wearebrighton) January 12, 2019
Add in the fact Liverpool are finally being given some penalties, then clearly it’s an FA CONSPIRACY TO HELP LIVERPOOL TO WIN THE LEAGUE.

Red Eyes

It was me lfc Eddie corrected, after I was singing Virgil’s praises alongside my all time favourite playe Sami Hypia.

Unless Virgil has been a mad red since being a kid, Eddie is probably right about VVD being swayed at least as much by playing for Klopp as Liverpool.

I’m not so sure he would have been so single minded had Rodgers or Hodgson been in charge.

Virgil would have been a perfect player to have taken over Kompanys mantle at City, but he never gave Pep a sniff. Thank goodness!

Red Eyes

Sorry if this has already been posted but hahaha. What a load of cobblers people spout on social media.

You know things are going well when people are accusing you benefiting from a conspiracy.
Such is the case now with Liverpool, whose lead at the top of the Premier League has been stretched to seven points.
Manchester City, though, remain the champions, although not if Jonathan Pearce is to be believed. Apparently.
It’s been claimed Pearce referred to the Reds as ‘champions’ during his commentary for the win over Brighton on Match of the Day on Saturday night.
Jonathan Pearce calling Liverpool the defending champions on Match of the Day . Talk about jinxing it​
BBC init, 1-0 scrappy away win shown first because it’s Liverpool​
Pretty sure I just heard Jonathan Pearce call Liverpool the champions, have they won it already @GaryLineker? #MOTD
The agenda is real @BBCMOTD by the way the champions are in blue & won it by 19 points.​
Sorry #mcfc fans but the FA have got their back. Title is done. Disgrace​
Add in the fact Liverpool are finally being given some penalties, then clearly it’s an FA CONSPIRACY TO HELP LIVERPOOL TO WIN THE LEAGUE.

I’m just desperate to hear at the end of the MOTD opening credits just before they flick to the studio......

“Liverpool, Premier League Champions”

.....every week for at least a season.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member

Jonathan Pearce calling Liverpool the defending champions on Match of the Day . Talk about jinxing it​
BBC init, 1-0 scrappy away win shown first because it’s Liverpool​
The agenda is real @BBCMOTD by the way the champions are in blue & won it by 19 points.​
Sorry #mcfc fans but the FA have got their back. Title is done. Disgrace​
To be fair, Pearce does call us “the champions” when asking if Brighton can get back into the match after the goal.

Hardly conspiracy theory stuff, though; more a slip of the tongue.

Red Eyes

Just looking at upcoming fixtures, after two home matches we are away to West Ham.

This may be trickier than it would have been in recent years, Pelligrini has got them playing decent football.

Nasri seemed to add a new dimension to them on MOTD, and Rice is emerging as a decent player.

We should have way too much for them especially if Artautovic leaves, but they seem to be a different proposition these days.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
lol ! Think I said that already. 28 or 30 min or something like that. So most of the second half. From that awkward display, Salah was a bit lively, but team was generally unimpressive ;-) Correct answer is: I have no clue as to who was our best player and I won't vote :-) ;-)
There wasn't a best player. :-)

wibseyred

Just looking at upcoming fixtures, after two home matches we are away to West Ham.

This may be trickier than it would have been in recent years, Pelligrini has got them playing decent football.

Nasri seemed to add a new dimension to them on MOTD, and Rice is emerging as a decent player.

We should have way too much for them especially if Artautovic leaves, but they seem to be a different proposition these days.
They will attack which leaves them open. It won't be a 10 men behind the ball job with them. In yesterday's game against Arsenal they won but Arsenal could have had at least 4 with better finishing.

MarcusBerglund

It will be very arrogant, if the players, Klopp and the fans don't take it game by game. It is too eary to talk about West Ham.
We have two very difficult home matches against Palace and Leicester. 20 day ago Man City played both teams in consecutive games and guess what happened?
Every game will be very difficult, especially against teams that will play almost 90% of the time with 8-9 players behind the ball and teams which know how to defend and counter attack with speed.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I rewatched much of the second half today, and came away with quite a different impression - I can see why Klopp was generally pleased. Wasn't the most thrilling, but we kept up very consistent attacking pressure that kept them on their heels almost the whole match, almost never overcommitting to allow Brighton to get something moving on the counter. Salah in particular caught the eye more with his use of the ball.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Brighton's whole game plan in both games has been to stop us scoring with no ambition to score themselves. They are probably the most organised side to come to Anfield this season so it's no problem to only beat them 1-0.
We should have got a couple more but the important thing is most of these teams aren't getting a sniff against us.
To be fair, I think it’s more a case of trying to stay in the game and then make it a twenty minute match. Not been far off in both matches.

Red Eyes

It will be very arrogant, if the players, Klopp and the fans don't take it game by game. It is too eary to talk about West Ham.
We have two very difficult home matches against Palace and Leicester. 20 day ago Man City played both teams in consecutive games and guess what happened?
Every game will be very difficult, especially against teams that will play almost 90% of the time with 8-9 players behind the ball and teams which know how to defend and counter attack with speed.

Agree totally.....Palace and Leicester both beat City recently.

You never quite know what you are going to get with either side, but Leicester in particular can be a match for anyone when they are on song.

Can’t imagine Klopp will show any arrogance or complacency, he has learned the hard way at Liverpool that nothing is won until it’s won.

I was looking at the West Ham game as they are possibly the most changed of the three over the last couple of seasons. They struggled when they moved from the always formidable Upton Park, to the more sterile Olympic stadium. However Pelligrini has cranked them up a notch or two, and with younger players stepping up and senior players upping their game they are unlikely to be the soft touch they were. Nasri looked very accomplished at the weekend, and added something to their game.

I can’t imagine many people on this forum, or Klopp or the players will be complacent / arrogant unless it’s mathematically impossible for us to be caught. We’ve been there before and still carry the scars!

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I rewatched much of the second half today, and came away with quite a different impression - I can see why Klopp was generally pleased. Wasn't the most thrilling, but we kept up very consistent attacking pressure that kept them on their heels almost the whole match, almost never overcommitting to allow Brighton to get something moving on the counter. Salah in particular caught the eye more with his use of the ball.
I see you saved yourself the first half haha! I would have asked are you a masochist?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I see you saved yourself the first half haha! I would have asked are you a masochist?
Watched about 5 minutes of the first half again, and realized my live impression was correct - dull, not much of a cutting edge, and not much I might have missed with the tension of a 0-0.

Red Eyes

It’s amazing how quickly Virgil’s 50th appearance came round considering he’s never played in the Carabou and has only played twice in the FA Cup.

Of the other 48, I can’t imagine you see such a high ratio of ECL games (12) to EPL games (36) very often.

For every three premiership appearances he’s made for Liverpool, he’s made one Champions League appearance.

Ben64

Is it just me being overly sensitive that there are many more football articles of Bayern Munich players saying they can beat us as they can learn from Man City. The more they say it, the more I love it. They are running scared.. Sorry Admin ..

Commando

Is it just me being overly sensitive that there are many more football articles of Bayern Munich players saying they can beat us as they can learn from Man City. The more they say it, the more I love it. They are running scared.. Sorry Admin ..

As long as they didn't learn from PSG's tactics, I think we'll be OK.