• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Brighton v Liverpool (epl 8/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Williams [off 45’]

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 8’, off 80’]

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Wijnaldum

• Keita [off 61’]

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Firmino [off 87’]

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Salah [GOAL 5’, GOAL 76’]

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • Robertson [on 45’]

• Mane [on 61’]

• Fabinho [on 61’]

• Milner [on 80’]

• Minamino [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

richieh10

When he was battling the full back and couldnt get the ball under control? Watch it back, he tried to criss and it was blocked. From JH's angle, he wouldnt be able to see that.
I’m not denying that was the case. Just raising the point.

I can imagine that in Mane wants to be the main man there are plenty in his ear (agents other clubs etc) who are going to try and convince him that won’t be the case at Liverpool as long as Salah is there.

you get the feeling with Mane that he wants to be the main man, where as with somebody like Bobby for example he is happy for others to make the headlines.

you see how bobby left the ball for Salah for goal number one. I get the feeling if that had been Mane that wouldn’t have happened

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

I can imagine that in Mane wants to be the main man there are plenty in his ear (agents other clubs etc) who are going to try and convince him that won’t be the case at Liverpool as long as Salah is there.

you get the feeling with Mane that he wants to be the main man, where as with somebody like Bobby for example he is happy for others to make the headlines.

you see how bobby left the ball for Salah for goal number one. I get the feeling if that had been Mane that wouldn’t have happened
Where do you get the feeling about Sadio?

“Why would I want 10 Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, or two planes? What will these objects do for me and for the world?

“I was hungry, and I had to work in the field; I survived hard times, played football barefooted, I did not have an education and many other things, but today with what I win thanks to football, I can help my people.“

Great players have competitive/ruthless streaks it's that edge which takes them beyond normal players, so all good.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I can imagine that in Mane wants to be the main man there are plenty in his ear (agents other clubs etc) who are going to try and convince him that won’t be the case at Liverpool as long as Salah is there. you get the feeling with Mane that he wants to be the main man
We have one main man and that is THE TEAM.

I think we will keep most of our current players until the late stages of their careers.

They are not stupid. They know what happened to Coutinho and Emre. They can see what happened to Hazard, Griezmann, Dembele.

Retro Helix

'I get the feeling'......Utter bollocks!

vzok

I loved Tyler mentioning the 6 game drought even when we had scored 3, it’s not coming back Martin.

And then he went on about the day when City won it last season like he was remembering fond memories. I do wonder why he keeps doing us, is it punishment, he apparently lives in the North West so I thought tonight he would have been rested. Is someone at Sky punishing him for something.

Anyhow BT on Saturday
Get your hand out of your trouser pocket then.
If he has utter bollocks it must be impossible to resist

LFCFFC

Really doesn't help the erroneous narrative about Salah and Mane stemming from one incident against Burnley when even Liverpool fans start questioning their relationship. Most members of the team are hyper competitive by nature. It's part of the reason they're English, European and World champions. I'd be concerned if they weren't getting fired up tbh. If it was all love and cuddles it's more likely we'd be fighting Everton for 8th (10th...or 12th).

Also I'm sure Sadio is pretty appreciative of Mo's killer assist for the 4th goal vs Palace.

Anyway...good game by the lads. Not pretty at times but got the 3 points which is all that really matters atm. 3 more wins for the team to perch themselves nicely at the top of the all-time PL seasonal points tally.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...

You have a lot of "feelings". Thankfully I get the feeling that you are wrong

alaskared

Kloppite
We were fantastic while being far from perfect, if we keep this up we're gonna win the .....oh , never mind.

Great to have Neco put the pressure on Robbo after Robbo's hangover performances. Great performances from both of them.
When Mo is firing he is a handful.
Naby. Wow. What a player he is, only going to get better.

[email protected]

When he was battling the full back and couldnt get the ball under control? Watch it back, he tried to criss and it was blocked. From JH's angle, he wouldnt be able to see that.
Alot of fans 'wouldn't' see it either **cough multiple replays *cough*. Easier to make up shit that way. As they say, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

richieh10

You have a lot of "feelings". Thankfully I get the feeling that you are wrong
just an opinion, Mane body language everytime he feels he should get a pass from
Salah and doesn’t is very poor though.

hope I’m wrong too. Can’t imagine there being too many clubs interested in Mane anyhow. Football agents don’t usually tout the services of their clients to other clubs to try and make a bit of money either so all should work out fine(y)

big noyd

mane tried to tee up salah for a hat trick late in the game when he might've gone for goal himself

if anyone has a selfish streak, i think it's mo, but look at his goal record here--usually comes with the territory

nikz200

You realise Hendo is the captain and is basically enforcing Klopp's wishes on the pitch right?
Of course i know that, but even KLopp came out and said in response to souness, the shots on target and the goals scored are all direct results of good overall play from Mo. So even if you criticise him for not squaring the ball or something , he is in that position because he has contributed and created space and a situation where he has that option. Plus we all know he is probably the most clinical player on the team in this regard so why is there even the need to criticise Mo. But lots of people want to make this whole thing about Mo being selfish? What nonsense. This is the same player every season producing goals for this team.

Yet Souness who is a great midfielder in his time but knows jack squat about strikers says that the team is disgruntled with Salah because he is so selfish and people here want to point out henderson shouting at salah basically trying to say he is some problem that is going to cost us. Check yourselves at the door and realise how screwed we are without his goals, i hate that people need to find an excuse to devalue salah at every bloody turn when other strikers and forwards are lauded for doing the exact same crap.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
When Suarez was a threat to Man Utd Fergie and SKY demonised him. Cheat, diver etc....
Granted he didnt help himself. But it helped to quash his threat......

Salah and Mane are different people. The attempt to have Mo branded a diver (at the same time Kane was being blown over by a breeze) was pathetic. The narrative turned to Mane "going down easily'. Again pathetic.
Now its back to Mo vs Mane. Liverpool in turmoil etc etc. Cue Madrid interest etc. And if there is one feeling @richieh10 has correct its that agents tout their players.

So.....a media fuelled speculative story about two strikers at war........
Two players that want to score goals
For the European, World and incumbent Premier league champions.
Its probably the subject of dressing room banter.
And they dont have to love each other to perform together. Loads of history between players to support that.
We are champions, on a super run, best manager in the world, players like Keita showing form, kids breaking through, VVD heading balls to himself......
And they talk about a fucking spat, probably imaginary between two players!!!
Fucking nonsense.

richieh10

Personally I would love to know the dynamic inside the dressing room, there are obvious pals, Mo and Lovren, Milner and Robbo for example.
But in a group of 30-40 people there are going to be some who, ok maybe “don’t like each other” sounds a bit childish but you know what I mean.

it happens in every team, every work place.

or it would be interesting to know if everybody did get on like the band of brothers the appear to be.

Klopp certainly appears to have moulded together a group of like minded guys - bad eggs weeded out

richieh10

How good is it to see Naby start to show glimpses of the player we all hoped he would be btw

Sweeting

Henderson was right to shout at Salah. Mane was unmarked in the 6 yard box and he never once had a look for him, then he did the same to Minamino later on.

Henderson also shouted at Firmino for giving the ball away in midfield (and it led directly to their goal) and I'm sure shouted at basically everyone on the pitch.

High standards are about holding people accountable. Who gives a shit how many goals Salah has scored when he makes a bad mistake he isn't above criticism.

I'd never want our captain to be scared of pointing out obvious errors. We would never win anything with that attitude.

richieh10

BTW be gutted for Hendo if he misses the remaining games especially ‘the lift’

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Of course i know that, but even KLopp came out and said in response to souness, the shots on target and the goals scored are all direct results of good overall play from Mo. So even if you criticise him for not squaring the ball or something , he is in that position because he has contributed and created space and a situation where he has that option. Plus we all know he is probably the most clinical player on the team in this regard so why is there even the need to criticise Mo. But lots of people want to make this whole thing about Mo being selfish? What nonsense. This is the same player every season producing goals for this team.

Yet Souness who is a great midfielder in his time but knows jack squat about strikers says that the team is disgruntled with Salah because he is so selfish and people here want to point out henderson shouting at salah basically trying to say he is some problem that is going to cost us. Check yourselves at the door and realise how screwed we are without his goals, i hate that people need to find an excuse to devalue salah at every bloody turn when other strikers and forwards are lauded for doing the exact same crap.
Where in any post have I devalued Salah? He is a core component of this team, his record is staggering.. Can he frustrate? Yes of course, but the sheer mindidness to score is why he is so good. Being selfish is a core trait in the elite forwards through history (why Bobby being the absolute exception to the rule - But also why he is so bloody unique and important).

You miss the fundemental point of this team, a team created in Klopps image. It's about team work, it's about a winning mentality, it's about harmony and comradery.. Most important it is that everyone is equal, there are no "stars" of the team. Read about it, Klopp ensures Curtis Jones gets the same treatment and support as Mo Salah.

That's why we are so good, they fight for eachother.

Fundemental to that is a captain forged in that image, and if he calls out Mo for being selfish, he is more than within his right. He's fucking earnt that level of respect.

nikz200

Where in any post have I devalued Salah? He is a core component of this team, his record is staggering.. Can he frustrate? Yes of course, but the sheer mindidness to score is why he is so good. Being selfish is a core trait in the elite forwards through history (why Bobby being the absolute exception to the rule - But also why he is so bloody unique and important).

You miss the fundemental point of this team, a team created in Klopps image. It's about team work, it's about a winning mentality, it's about harmony and comradery.. Most important it is that everyone is equal, there are no "stars" of the team. Read about it, Klopp ensures Curtis Jones gets the same treatment and support as Mo Salah.

Fundemental to that is a captain forged in that image, and if he calls out Mo for being selfish, he is more than within his right. He's fucking earnt that level of respect.
Firstly i never referred to you doing anything. I'm talking about many of the fans responses to this happening.

Secondly, i respect and love Hendo more than most people, quite frankly he is within his right sure. But should bring that up as some proof that Klopp is not happy with Salah? If your saying he is shouting that at Mo because its just a general team thing then sure. But people bring up this point to try and say the team is not happy with Mo. Thats just stupid, the team is not unhappy with Salah, they are pro football players. They should understand what that means, and quite frankly all that harmony and camaraderie is meaningless without goals and winning mentality.The reason our team is so good is Hunger, intensity and mentality. So thats what it should be and Salah has more than embodied all these values. What you call selfish in this case, i call hunger and killer instinct. I think this conversation even being had is stupid. Ive played futsal and field football where the forwards often act like this but only a select few dumbasses make a big deal about this. Next you will tell me Van Nistelrooy should have passed the ball more or Ian Rush didn't pass the ball enough........

(Again when i say you, I'm not referring to you , i mean generally people trying to use this point as some sort of indication of anything)

Sweeting

I think it comes from a place of fear that if he gets shouted at too much then he'll get upset and leave.

Good luck finding a club where the captain doesn't have the right to call you out though.