• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Brighton v Liverpool (epl 8/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Williams [off 45’]

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 8’, off 80’]

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Wijnaldum

• Keita [off 61’]

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Firmino [off 87’]

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Salah [GOAL 5’, GOAL 76’]

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • Robertson [on 45’]

• Mane [on 61’]

• Fabinho [on 61’]

• Milner [on 80’]

• Minamino [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think it comes from a place of fear that if he gets shouted at too much then he'll get upset and leave.

Good luck finding a club where the captain doesn't have the right to call you out though.
Its bizzare if anyone thinks that. Everything I've read from every player (not requested either just given freely) is everyone respects Henderson massively.

I also think people miss the fact Klopp is probably even more annoyed, he is constantly berating players for not passing etc.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Where do you get the feeling about Sadio?

“Why would I want 10 Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, or two planes? What will these objects do for me and for the world?

“I was hungry, and I had to work in the field; I survived hard times, played football barefooted, I did not have an education and many other things, but today with what I win thanks to football, I can help my people.“

Great players have competitive/ruthless streaks it's that edge which takes them beyond normal players, so all good.
Fuck I love sadio

Imagine having that kinda story in the change room, keep you very grounded, you just assume most ofthese guys nowadays live in a bubble of privilege from about 9 years old onwards

Stories like manes must be fairy dust for Kloppo, no wonder he was in a rush to sign him

trygve76

TIA New Signing
I must admit I didn't watch this match since it doesn't matter anyway, which is an incredible luxury with several matches remaining.

brush85

I think it comes from a place of fear that if he gets shouted at too much then he'll get upset and leave.

Good luck finding a club where the captain doesn't have the right to call you out though.
In what world does anyone watch salah and think he gives a jolt about being shouted at or what the outsiders say about him? The guy plays the same way, regardless of form and Klopp doesnt have any issue with it.

He is breaking records that supposedly better players in PL history used to hold and is producing at an elite level. Even if there is this asinine desire to talk about him like he is somehow failing or disappointing in some way.

And didnt Mo say that he would vote Henderson for POY?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Fuck I love sadio

Imagine having that kinda story in the change room, keep you very grounded, you just assume most ofthese guys nowadays live in a bubble of privilege from about 9 years old onwards

Stories like manes must be fairy dust for Kloppo, no wonder he was in a rush to sign him
Indeed, top bloke;

Certainly no airs or graces about him.

p.s. Before the cult of like, start with the "stop prefering Sadio over Salah", Salah does equally a lot for the community etc.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I must admit I didn't watch this match since it doesn't matter anyway, which is an incredible luxury with several matches remaining.
Without being overly judgemental
But fucking hell.......
On our way to a potential points record.
Doesnt matter anyway?

It means writing the AbuDhabi oil fuelled cheats out of the record books. Get a grip.

Red over the water

For me I’d boil the striker conversation down to one overarching factor... how does the team score more goals?

Mo scores loads, he’s fantastic, and without his goals we would be a lot worse off. All strikers have a selfish streak, goes with the territory... etc.

All that is fair enough, but there should be room for a more nuanced point, that gets into the space between outright selfishness (which we don’t have) and the Chuckle Bothers stuff, to me, to you, mentioned above (great line!)

Its a sliding scale, and Mo is showing signs of possibly placing a personal goal, golden boot, over the team scoring more goals. I doubt his mind works like that in the moment, and I doubt very much that he is thinking about not passing to Mane, or Minamino, or whoever... and he is just thinking about scoring. I dont see anything nefarious, but I do see room to improve the decision making, on occasion, for the good of the overall team.

I fully expect Jürgen, and/or the coaches, to go through the whole thing in forensic detail, to continually drive home the point about making the best choices for the good of the team in a given moment. That thought applies to every position in the team, but limiting the conversation to the strikers, when there is a chance, it doesn’t matter who you are or how many you have scored, if you fail to give it to people in a better position to score, it needs to be reviewed.

I’m 100% confident that it will be, and equally, I’m 100% confident that there’s no ill will afoot, or anything like that... just a group of excellent professionals, who are doing rather well at the moment... but we have the manager to improve them further, Mo included.

Magnus

I had an old friend from my army days visiting, so didn't watch the match. First match this season I haven't seen I think. Thanks to those of you who posted the long and wordy posts about the match. Been interesting to read about it.

Incognito

The Normal One
I know fans are a little superstitious over who starts Match threads, so i wont stand on anyone's toes, but there is a match at 3pm tomorrow.
Don't think anyone would be so bad in jinxing us that he/ she opening the thread could end up us getting point deduction right! I hereby request @Alright Now to do the honors as he keeps forcing everyone to do so.. just want to check something. Lol.

MarcusBerglund

Only bad news is Hendo's injury. We won againt a team who is still not safe for its place in the league.

Keita had a very, very good game. Fantastic assist for the first goal, then won the ball and started the attack for our second goal and in the second half his pass for Salah was sublime putting him 1vs.1 with Ryan. Hardworking, pressing machine, great vision and passing, he just needs to stay healthy for a long period and everything will be fine.

Salah was also very good, scoring twice, being very active and hungry for more goals. He has that desire to score goals and when he scores his appetite becomes even bigger. Reminds of Cristiano Ronaldo with that desire to play all the time and to score more and more goals.

VvD was also very solid, while Gomez's form is really poor after the break, he needs to improve. Maybe that explains why Klopp started with Matip in our first match vs. Everton /and by the way Joel looked great in that match untill the injury/.

Neco Williams had a hard time vs. the young Lamptey /signed from Chelsea's academy/. Actually Neco started pretty well and offensively looked fine, but needs to improve the defensive aspects of his game. As I said he is the youngster who is closest to to playing in this Liverpool machine. There's room for improvement, the desire and ability are there and hopefully he will get more chances in the last 4 matches of the campaign.

AOC looked poor and once again he looks lost on the wings, doing nothing offensively and let Lamptey singlehandedly dominate our left side. The introduction of Robertson and Mane totally changed the picture, but once again the lack of quality cover for our full backs and attack was obvious.
We need to strengthen those two positions.

Hendo and Gini did what was expected from them, but still Jordan oozed class on the pitch. He will never be Gerrard, but still the last 9 years have been an amazing journey for Jordan. He came as a young, inexperienced boy from Sunderland, playing mostly on the right side, but under Klopp he became a leader, a captain, a winner.

I hope to see more from Elliott, Williams and Jones in the last 4 matches, they need games and the experience will be huge for them. The title is back at Anfield and I really don't care about the records. I want more titles and of course seeing Neco, Curtis and Harvey playing reagularly till the end of the season.

Alright Now

Don't think anyone would be so bad in jinxing us that he/ she opening the thread could end up us getting point deduction right! I hereby request @Alright Now to do the honors as he keeps forcing everyone to do so.. just want to check something. Lol.
If you hadn’t noticed, you all work for me. Not the other way around.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Looked worse when Jones came off, very impressed with his performance today.

Should have won the game comfortably and we played some great football at times, particularly in the first half. Thought Salah played well generally but how many chances does he want? Ridiculous finishing which cost us the game.

Sweeting

Thought we were very good but unfortunately Rodriguez just scored a nearly impossible goal.

Salah is frustrating when he doesn't put his foot through the ball. I've seen him take that shot from a cross on so many times and it's always a weak effort. Could do with learning how to thump that.

Reminded me of the Southampton vs Man City game the other day. One side is clearly dominant but one small mistake - in this case switching off at a free kick after the drinks break - and a ridiculously difficult finish is all they needed.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
No idea why Minamino doesn’t get a game. This is where we need strengthens in the final 3rd. If minamino can’t get a game now when does he and origi is nowhere near good enough.
Add shaqs to that list.
I dont think keita will ever be the player we expected. Too inconsistent and when he does get a good run of games, he gets injured.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Really disgusted with the officiating. Really obvious that the referee set his stall out and knew what he was doing.

Should have had two penalties, and we were incorrectly flagged offside before they scored. Good tackles consistently flagged as fouls, and they were allowed to foul at will - especially Alisson.

The draw is annoying, but it’s really hard playing the officials as well as 11 opponants.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to go back and watch compilations of the earlier games in our title win.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
My mates convinced Minamino was bought just to sell the new Nike kits in aisa. Arsenal did it with the player they signed straight after the World Cup.