• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

POST MATCH: Burnley 0-3 Liverpool (31 August, 2019)

Man of the Match vs. Burnley?

• Adrián

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Matip

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Henderson (off 71')

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain (on 71')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Firmino (off 85')

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • Shaqiri (on 85')

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mané (off 85')

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Origi (on 85')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 32 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barnestormer

Left wing.
If Sadio is upset at being subbed, and we assume its aimed at Mo, why then is he pointing at the bench when he vents? Im not so sure this is what we think.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
No worries about Mane and Salah. That's competitive spirit. Salah was wrong not to pass the ball there, but it's not like Mane hasn't made a selfish decision with the ball before.

Good time for an international break so they can cool down and move on. They'll both learn and laugh about it.

liver1

Mo does need to pass the ball more, but you also need to be careful not to clip his selfishness to score goals as well. Hes not like Bobby nor do we want him to be, Salah often punches through defences because hes only got eye for goal.

Sometimes changing something affects another part of your game and id rather Mo remained selfish in the box.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
The reason he is being subbed is because Klopp feels he needs rest given that he had no preseason. It sure didn't look like he needed rest today though. I thought he was fantastic. The tension between him and Salah worries me a little bit because it could end up with one of them wanting out. But, I am sure that they will get over it.
Mane will have been monitored the whole game, the players wear a gps tracker that monitors their stats, heart rate, distance covered, number of sprints, distance sprinted etc, if mane was taken off for a rest it will be because he's presented symptoms indicating as such. Nothing is really ever left to guess work nowadays. So he may not look like he needs rest but his body is saying otherwise.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Is it me, didn't the lads play abit different than usual ? I can't quite put my finger on it.
Yep, thats right, it looked like Klopp chose to play Burnley at their own game, but when we got in close, to revert to what class we have. Burnley play very direct, running everything down like Sunday league +, I thought we just did that, and made sure we had depth in front of the back four. A lot of our play went down the flanks to support that. Seemed like this time we knew they would be physical so we consciously decided to match them at it and play direct, you know play for length down the field, rather than keep the ball. We pumped it up field a lot more today. But then, they do play on a moor.

Redopium

I thought it would be much tougher but after Trent's wonder strike it was pretty easy, i think we defended much better as a team and they had only 2 attempts on target all game, i voted Virgil man of the match as he headed every thing away that came near our defence, a great three points shame about the international break.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Mane will have been monitored the whole game, the players wear a gps tracker that monitors their stats, heart rate, distance covered, number of sprints, distance sprinted etc, if mane was taken off for a rest it will be because he's presented symptoms indicating as such. Nothing is really ever left to guess work nowadays. So he may not look like he needs rest but his body is saying otherwise.
This is my take on it, and when he comes off, he is pointing at someone on the bench when he unleashes his tirade. Not Mo, who is behind him on the pitch.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
This is my take on it, and when he comes off, he is pointing at someone on the bench when he unleashes his tirade. Not Mo, who is behind him on the pitch.
It does look more like he's shouting at the bench alright. Maybe he felt he was ok to continue but that decision will be unlikely to have been made for no reason. It will be based on the athletic profile built on Mane after years of tests and data. I can understand his frustration if so but better frustrated than injured.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
It started on the pitch. Sky showed the reverse angle and Mane was really having a go at Mo after not passing inside the box. Wildly gesticulating, pointing and yelling at Mo. When he came off he kept using the passing motion pointing at the ground. IMO that has been brewing for some time. This didn't happen in a vacuum. Im not sure where I come out on it, personally.

On one hand I understand Sadio's frustration because Mo can be a ball hog. We have seen it many times. He missed Firmino all alone to his right earlier in the match. On the other hand, Mo Salah is still Mo Salah. His work rate was exceptional and he is capable of changing the complexion of any football match with one flick of his boot. Stuff like this happens, and I expect it will be handled in house. World class players are wired differently. As an aside, I get the impression Bobby and Sadio are really close. It was also interesting (to me, anyway) that is was Millie - not Hendo, the Captain - that was the quickest to diffuse the situation on the bench. Hendo didn't even leave his seat.

Clive

It’s tempting to call that “routine” and that’s about the best compliment I can give as going to Turf Moor is never routine.

Bobby absolutely on fire this season so far and MotM for me. That pass for Mane’s goal was a thing is subtle beauty, I showed my aspiring 10 yo this as a perfect example of holding the ball long enough to commit the defence, then releasing the runner.

12 points from 12. The boys look hungry and primed coming into the CL fixtures. Get in lads!

fspencer

It started on the pitch. Sky showed the reverse angle and Mane was really having a go at Mo after not passing inside the box. Wildly gesticulating, pointing and yelling at Mo. When he came off he kept using the passing motion pointing at the ground. IMO that has been brewing for some time. This didn't happen in a vacuum. Im not sure where I come out on it, personally.

On one hand I understand Sadio's frustration because Mo can be a ball hog. We have seen it many times. He missed Firmino all alone to his right earlier in the match. On the other hand, Mo Salah is still Mo Salah. His work rate was exceptional and he is capable of changing the complexion of any football match with one flick of his boot. Stuff like this happens, and I expect it will be handled in house. World class players are wired differently. As an aside, I get the impression Bobby and Sadio are really close. It was also interesting (to me, anyway) that is was Millie - not Hendo, the Captain - that was the quickest to diffuse the situation on the bench. Hendo didn't even leave his seat.

they are two completely different personalities . Sadio says in that video "we were 7 minutes late because Mo wanted coffee" that visibly irritated him. most people would say 5 or 10 minutes late .. but it was as if he was clock watching .

that's not a dig at mo salah from me but sadio seems riled if you don't put the team first .

liver1

In defence of Salah there have been plenty of times when Mane shoots when his team mates are available. And theres nothing wrong with that. As a forward youve got to back yourself and sometimes youve only got a split second to decide what to do.

And if you look at last years stats Mane got 2 assists, Salah got 11. This year Mane has 1 assist and Salah already has 2.

At 0-0 Salah has to pass that ball, but at 3-0 up and 10 mins to play, I understand why hes being greedy to get on the scoresheet for himself.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
He has told me that he is working on something that will ensure he winds up in heaven. I am not permitted to disclose it though. I will leave that up to him, but everyone here must agree that he more than any other deserves such a spot.
Working on something to get him into heaven? The fucker has invented a time machine.......when he's done ask him to take me back to when I still had hair and my dick didn't need a hand crank.

fspencer

In defence of Salah there have been plenty of times when Mane shoots when his team mates are available. As a forward youve got to back yourself and sometimes youve only got a split second to decide what to do.

And if you look at last years stats Mane got 2 assists, Salah got 11. This year Mane has 1 assist and Salah already has 2.

At 0-0 Salah has to pass that ball, but at 3-0 up I understand why hes being greedy to get on the scoresheet for himself.
He didn't pass to bobby and then he didn't pass to sadio .. both sadio and bobby get subbed off . I'd be furious too . Mane is is fine form so give him the ball and take advantage of that .

Red over the water

I don’t recall ever winning so comfortably there, at least not in recent times. Obviously we have much better quality, but the pleasing aspect was how hard we battled. This is a team that will not be bullied by anyone.

One sign of that was Ashley Barnes trying to get stuck into Van Dijk early on and the camera pans elsewhere and then goes back to it, and Barnes is on the deck, scowl on his face, complaining to the ref about getting bossed by big Virg. From that point on he switched to Matip to try to get some change there, and while that was a closer physical contest, our man did quite well and in the end Barnes was substituted off.

They all did very well and we look like we’ve got the bit between our teeth this season. No messing about, the standard is so ridiculously high that we’ve had to hit the ground running. Even at this early stage Liverpool and Man City look streets ahead of the others. Hopefully the international break doesn’t disrupt our rhythm.

Final comment on the “situation” between Mane and Salah. There have been signs for a while that Mo has got a bit too greedy. It’s a fine line, as by nature all strikers are greedy, and when you do the sort of things that Mo does, you rightly get some leeway. Even so, hopefully Mane’s reaction to a bit of selfishness from Mo prompted a chat from Jurgen to remind everyone of the team-first ethic that must be the basis of everything we achieve.

liver1

He didn't pass to bobby and then he didn't pass to sadio .. both sadio and bobby get subbed off . I'd be furious too . Mane is is fine form so give him the ball and take advantage of that .
Yes but theres a reason hes got 57 goals in 78 games and it isnt because hes shy in front of goal. We also want him to be in form too so when were 3-0 up, Mane has a goal, Firmino has a goal - I expect him to be desperate to get a goal and build up his form as well.

For the pass he didnt give to Bobby, I dont think he sees Bobby there, he wrong foots the defender and shoots first time. He knows hes going to shoot before he even lifts his head up in those situations.

In this video at 8:07 thats the missed pass to Bobby. Its all well and good pausing the video and saying he should pass at this moment, but in real time, hes only got one thing on his mind, turn the defender and shoot at goal. A good connection sees that in the bottom corner but it turned out as a crappy shot.

Last edited:

fspencer

Yes but theres a reason hes got 57 goals in 78 games and it isnt because hes shy in front of goal. We also want him to be in form too so when were 3-0 up, Mane has a goal, Firmino has a goal - I expect him to be desperate to get a goal and build up his form as well.

For the pass he didnt give to Bobby, I dont think he sees Bobby there, he wrong foots the defender and shoots first time. He knows hes going to shoot before he even lifts his head up in those situations.
the reason he scores a lot of goals is because his team mates give him the opportunity and in return he assists them . He's a professional and will have a picture in his head of where his team mates are without even looking ( if you have to get your head up to look then the moment has gone ) . Even the boss was furious with him because that is selfish play .

It's the simpler and easier choice to pass it - it's not like he was in the 6 yard box . He's chosen to shoot twice with his weaker foot ( if i recall correctly ) when he has better placed teammates .

Doesn't matter if you are 0-0 or 3-0 (0-3) it's about choosing the right option instinctively - last season he went through a similar spell and it's to the detriment of the team .

Pass the ball , mane shoots , keeper saves and it rolls back out and you knock in a 2 yard screamer . Everyone is happy . ( Mane scores and it boosts Salah because he made the right choice )

if you're going to be selfish then you have to either score or make the keeper work hard .

He apologized to bobby for not passing so to then offer an hand of apology for doing the same thing again with Mane is a token gesture ( in that moment )

I played at amateur level and could see a pass and have a picture in my head before i received the ball . I'd imagine pro athletes can think and see things far quicker than a guy who enjoys a curry and a pint for breakfast .