• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Burnley 0-3 Liverpool (31 August, 2019)

Man of the Match vs. Burnley?

• Adrián

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Matip

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Henderson (off 71')

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain (on 71')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Firmino (off 85')

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • Shaqiri (on 85')

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mané (off 85')

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Origi (on 85')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 32 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
The one and only thing that worries me when we play at Turf Moor against Burnley is our players getting injured. They aren’t as skilful as us, so are a little ale house when going in for tackles. Thankfully, we came out the other end unscathed. The match was a lot easier than t anticipated and we were well worth the three points. Four games doesn’t make a season, but I’m happy to see us continuing on where we left off last season. If I was a betting man I would put money on us to win the Premier League this season.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Milner sitting on the bench 2 games in a row - I think we are starting to preparing life without him - very slowly, but yet.
Love Millie, but when everyone is fit I don’t think he is in the first 11. He really wasn’t last year either.

But a few injuries are almost guaranteed and he will still play important minutes for the team again this year

Sweeting

If Sadio is upset at being subbed, and we assume its aimed at Mo, why then is he pointing at the bench when he vents? Im not so sure this is what we think.
He was shouting at Henderson about Salah. Klopp was asked about it after the game and confirmed he was upset at not receiving the pass when he had a tap in.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Strange not to spend most of the match screaming what a fucking horrible bunch of dirty shit cunts Burnley and Dyche are,deep down i know they still are though but ultimately a big three points against a normally difficult team to play,unflappable atm.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Did anyone else notice Dyche obviously trying to intimidate Andy Robbo during the 1st half? Robbo was taking a throw in and Dyche was standing immediately behind him, with his hand covering his mouth, shouting something at Robbo. Obviously I couldn’t tell what he was shouting, but I doubt it was anything complimentary.

It started on the pitch. Sky showed the reverse angle and Mane was really having a go at Mo after not passing inside the box. Wildly gesticulating, pointing and yelling at Mo. When he came off he kept using the passing motion pointing at the ground. IMO that has been brewing for some time. This didn't happen in a vacuum. Im not sure where I come out on it, personally.

On one hand I understand Sadio's frustration because Mo can be a ball hog. We have seen it many times. He missed Firmino all alone to his right earlier in the match. On the other hand, Mo Salah is still Mo Salah. His work rate was exceptional and he is capable of changing the complexion of any football match with one flick of his boot. Stuff like this happens, and I expect it will be handled in house. World class players are wired differently. As an aside, I get the impression Bobby and Sadio are really close. It was also interesting (to me, anyway) that is was Millie - not Hendo, the Captain - that was the quickest to diffuse the situation on the bench. Hendo didn't even leave his seat.
Hendo doesn't leave his seat as he's injured and when he shouts to Mane Milner puts his hand up as if to say I will deal with it. Milner then moves next to Mane. I think Henderson works hard on team unity and your implied criticism is unfair.
I think it's a storm in a teacup and actually demonstrated a lot of solidarity and care between the players.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Hendo doesn't leave his seat as he's injured and when he shouts to Mane Milner puts his hand up as if to say I will deal with it. Milner then moves next to Mane. I think Henderson works hard on team unity and your implied criticism is unfair.
I think it's a storm in a teacup and actually demonstrated a lot of solidarity and care between the players.
You've totally misread my post. If you think that was "criticism" I'm not sure where to begin. Unless you are 15 years old, which would make more sense I suppose. I absolutely love Hendo. One of my favorites. What you just typed out is exactly what I was saying. But Cheers nonetheless millennial!

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Basically, @Neukolln and @Battling Bessie mean the same thing, but are expressing in a different style, I think. :J

I think, it is all okay, in the dressing room, it was probably sorted out. Klopp is well known to be an 'Agony Uncle'/ counsellor as well beyond football. I am sure he must have studied psychology in his previous incarnation.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
You've totally misread my post. If you think that was "criticism" I'm not sure where to begin. Unless you are 15 years old, which would make more sense I suppose. I absolutely love Hendo. One of my favorites. What you just typed out is exactly what I was saying. But Cheers nonetheless millennial!
Don't get so wound up mate,context is easily lost in a post.:well done:

[/
[/
Apologies if I misunderstood your post hence my use of the word implied. However I do find your response rather rude.
I wish I was a millennial though!!

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Second attempt to try to post in the correct forum (thanks @hoosierred for looking out for me!)

So watching again on MOTD (seems to me that its almost criminal that you have to pay to watch EPL games on Sky here - while the commentary may be crap in the US at least we can watch live for (mostly free)

But I was once again struck with how our first goal started with Mo winning the ball back almost in our left corner - he has done this multiple times already this season (he did it in the Supercup) - what other team has forwards like Bobby, Mane and Mo that work that hard? It’s remarkable.

Also, some beautiful passing from midfield from Gini

Great to get the team sheet

It’s wonderful to watch Bobby Firmino play football with this team

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
I've got to mention Adrian.
His distribution with his feet is as poor as you can imagine, however he is proving he is more than a decent shot stopper. As long as we don't expect him to play from the back ( you're welcome Ings ) I think we made a bargain deal bringing him in.
All in all, I am pleasntly surprised, but can hardly to wait to have Allison back.
Yeah, you're bang on the money there. I'm not sure he managed to find a black shirt from a single kick that went further than 30 yards and he must have close to the shortest kicking range of goalkeepers in the PL. I could see he was very conscious of of not fucking around on the ball too long when it was at his feet. He was also able to recognise any back pass early on that could potentially put himself under pressure and dealt with it by hoofing down field. I have no problem with that at all and it's good he appears (touch wood) to have learnt from his mistakes in the Saints game. I'm happy to concede possession for a safety first mentality.

I'm certainly far more confident with Adrian in goal as far as commanding his box and under the high ball. Think he instills more confidence in his defence overall than Migs ever did. Would even go as far as saying that Adrian is a slightly better shot stopper.

Being without Ali while injured has really made me appreciate what a difference a good ball playing 'keeper makes.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I was out all day Saturday so only managed to watch MOTD today.

The whole Manégate situation was disappointing, but it shouldn't take away from the good performance and the media seemed almost desperate to try and provoke it. Same for Arnold's goal. I have no clue why they were trying to make into a thing. Trent didn't seem to give a shit, but it felt like they wanted him to.

Another 3 points and a clean sheet are all that mattered here. Hopefully we get through the international break unscathed and then we have

Newcastle
(Napoli)
Chelsea
(MK Dons)
Sheffield.

No reason to think we shouldn't still be top on October 1st, through to the next round of the Carabao Cup and hopefully at least a point from the Napoli game.

But one game at a time and all that.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Same for Arnold's goal. I have no clue why they were trying to make into a thing. Trent didn't seem to give a shit, but it felt like they wanted him to.
Trent was probably the very first person to think that was an OG. Most of the audience would have had a hard time seeing the deflection, and he was clearly trying to send a cross toward the back post area.

fspencer

Trent was probably the very first person to think that was an OG. Most of the audience would have had a hard time seeing the deflection, and he was clearly trying to send a cross toward the back post area.
I noticed it almost immediately and was wondering why the commentator partnership on sky were barking on about bad goalkeeping etc . the keeper probably catches it if he's on his line but then he may well concede if the ball gets to it's intended target . he's read the cross.

Alan smith said it was reminiscent of the Ronaldinho and Seaman goal . Never in a million years .

I reckon trent would have been (because like you say he knew it was a deflection ) disappointed at first that he'd hit the first man in front of him . Was just delighted then that it went in.

the interviews on sky over the past 2 seasons have become more about creating headlines than getting an honest reaction and answer .