• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Burnley 0-3 Liverpool (31 August, 2019)

Man of the Match vs. Burnley?

• Adrián

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Matip

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Henderson (off 71')

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain (on 71')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Firmino (off 85')

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • Shaqiri (on 85')

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mané (off 85')

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Origi (on 85')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 32 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Limiescouse

Shaqiri’s 2 deflections rightfully counted while I was in the Kop. Not sure how this was any different.
It is an OG on the official record if it was not on target prior to the deflection.
The one thing that really got me excited is how easy we are making "tricky" games look. Before the game Owen and Andy Townsend were insistent that Van Dijk will have his first real physical test with Ashley Barnes. I was laughing my ass off at how VVD was out jumping and shrugging him off so easily He was pocketed so bad he had to go off, and Barnes is a player who usually finishes 90 mins for Burnley in most games. I mean, we were at Turf Moor and made it look like Anfield. I dont want to openly say it but we may have a chance this season. The first 10 games would be a good gauge tho
It is the beauty of this team now. Virgil does not get bullied by anyone. But it's not just him. The more physical the game the more Sadio and Fab roll up their sleeves. I'd personally put Hendo and Robbo, and Milner when he's playing, in that category as well. It really does feel that what ever game you want to try to play to unsettle us we have the tools to deal with it.

Flobs

FADA
The one thing that really got me excited is how easy we are making "tricky" games look. Before the game Owen and Andy Townsend were insistent that Van Dijk will have his first real physical test with Ashley Barnes. I was laughing my ass off at how VVD was out jumping and shrugging him off so easily LOL He was pocketed so bad he had to go off, and Barnes is a player who usually finishes 90 mins for Burnley in most games. I mean, we were at Turf Moor and made it look like Anfield. I dont want to openly say it lol but we may have a chance this season. The first 10 games would be a good gauge tho
I thought it was Matip dealing with Barnes. ;)

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
just what the doctor ordered! a fine team performance which deserved a few more goals to the mighty Redmen. to witness such a controlled victory was a joy to behold.

top with a 100% record. early days, but looking good.

Red over the water

I thought it was Matip dealing with Barnes.
I think I commented in my (too long!) post, but it was something I was watching closely the whole game.

Barnes started out on Van Dijk but got no change there. There was one incident where Van Dijk put him on his backside and he complained to the ref, but our man got the better of the exchange and then some.

So Barnes switched to Matip to see if he could make inroads there. There were one or two tussles early on as they both went to ground, but Matip got the better of the physical exchange too.

Eventually an exasperated Barnes came off for an early bath.

It all augurs very well for the season ahead. This Liverpool team won’t be bullied by anyone. Ashley Barnes is an average Prem striker who is having a purple patch, and good luck to him. His best chance of getting anywhere against our defence was to put himself about. In a former day we might have buckled and been bullied out of it. But on Saturday he got short shrift.

Four games in and the mighty reds are marching up the hill!

Nur der BvB09

My yougest brother telling me that Bobby and Sadio are my two favorite players in a squad full of favorite Players.
I told that s the reason why the most difficult Job to do as a LFC fan after the game is to pick up Motm couse everyone of them deserve their praise of own.

Flobs

FADA
I think I commented in my (too long!) post, but it was something I was watching closely the whole game.

Barnes started out on Van Dijk but got no change there. There was one incident where Van Dijk put him on his backside and he complained to the ref, but our man got the better of the exchange and then some.

So Barnes switched to Matip to see if he could make inroads there. There were one or two tussles early on as they both went to ground, but Matip got the better of the physical exchange too.

Eventually an exasperated Barnes came off for an early bath.

It all augurs very well for the season ahead. This Liverpool team won’t be bullied by anyone. Ashley Barnes is an average Prem striker who is having a purple patch, and good luck to him. His best chance of getting anywhere against our defence was to put himself about. In a former day we might have buckled and been bullied out of it. But on Saturday he got short shrift.

Four games in and the mighty reds are marching up the hill!
Totally correct. I was just being a smart arse.
As for Barnes he's a good striker, strong can hold the ball up, good on the turn with a good shot and can get on th end of crosses a bit like Kane. Woods on the other hand is decidedly Championship level so much so I think Burnley would do well to go to a 4411 and have an extra player in midfield.
We look strong it's our strongest start for such a long time it's like something fresh and new. :)

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I thought it was a take off from Netball? Same as baseball got nicked from rounders?
Nah, netball was a weird English adaptation of basketball developed for women and intended to be played on grass.

Baseball is almost certainly originally English, a regional variation of rounders, with it being described in text as 'baseball' in the middle of the 18C. The first recorded game of baseball in North America was played in Beachville, Ontario in 1838 by English immigrants, 7 years before the original American rule codification, 8 years before the first recorded US game.

So the Americans sort of borrowed that ball from the north too...

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
You are totally correct if it had been his head the ball would have gone over the bar
It looks like shoulder and then, more definitively, head. Not sure why the ball simply hitting his head would mean the ball would have gone over the bar...do all flick-ons at the near post go over the bar?

FGred

It looks like shoulder and then, more definitively, head. Not sure why the ball simply hitting his head would mean the ball would have gone over the bar...do all flick-ons at the near post go over the bar?
The flick ons are deliberate and aimed directly towards goal but the way TAA put a spin on the ball when it hit his shoulder then head it spun even more and looped over the goalkeeper. I am just guessing if it had hit his head directly it would have spun higher and would have come down onto the bar?