POST MATCH: Burnley v Liverpool (EPL 5/12/2018 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

• Gomez (off 23)

• Matip

• Van Dijk

• Moreno (off 65)

• Henderson

• Keita

• Milner

• Shaqiri

• Sturridge

• Origi (off 65)

• Alexander-Arnold (on 23)

• Firmino (on 65)

• Salah (on 65)

Results are only viewable after voting.

FGred

On a more positive note, if Keita and Fabinho are starting to settle in and click then wow ....... this season is going to be one helluva ride.
The good and positive thing about Gomez getting injured is that Fabinho will be able to cover right back and CH positions and Milly pretty much can cover any position

koptician

We'll go again!
First of all, Ben Mee was looking for ball AND man. There was no need to go into a challenge like that to clear the ball against Gomez.
Second of all, that bastard Bardsley should have seen a straight red for the challenge on Moreno.
Third of all, their goal was in NO WAY a goal. The offside guy CLEARLY had a material impact in disturbing the play and the ball got kicked out of Allison's two hands.
Fourth of all, piss off Douchebag you marshmallow headed wanker!

liver1

Naby Keitas running from central midfield was also exactly what weve been missing in recent games.

Weve been way too static and passing sideway and backwards a little bit too often, but his running on the ball brings people out of position and causes a bit of chaos.

Weve lost a bit of that since Ox has been injured. We talk about our front 3 but we are at our best when its a front 4.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Too far for me Eddie. I have some sympathy with Dyche in that he's managing a club where he simply cant afford to buy quality. Their net spend over the last 4-5 years is similar to the fee we paid for VvD alone. When you're in that position roughing up the opposition is a perfectly viable tactic in my book. It's up to the ref to control the game. It's not as if Burnley could out play us is it?
I don't know how my comment can be considered too far if all I am saying is he's not as good of a manager as he thinks he is. Much like Rodgers before him. Dyche is managing Burnley for a reason, and that's his level which suits the club. We don't give much leeway for the likes of Pulis and so on, so I don't think we should be condoning his way of playing. Fracturing our player's foot and we should have sympathy for him? Nah.... not in my world.

Noo Noo

I don't know how my comment can be considered too far if all I am saying is he's not as good of a manager as he thinks he is. Much like Rodgers before him. Dyche is managing Burnley for a reason, and that's his level which suits the club. We don't give much leeway for the likes of Pulis and so on, so I don't think we should be condoning his way of playing. Fracturing our player's foot and we should have sympathy for him? Nah.... not in my world.
Sorry but I disagree. You intimated that Dyche had instructed his players to go out and break legs.
Being physical and getting in our faces etc but breaking legs is a step too far for me.

I don't condone it but I fully understand the reasoning behind Burnley being a physical side and I'm comfortable with that. For them its about being hard to beat and getting in teams faces is part of their way of achieving it. And they're not the only side that does it either.

Agree with a lot of what you say but ,like many others, you have the blinkers on re Henderson. He actually had quite a good game , nothing flashy , never going to be any ones hero but far better than you suggest.
Throughout his time us I have stuck for Henderson on numerous occasions and although not playing badly yesterday there us one part of his game that is holding us back and that is when he is receiving the ball from our defenders.

Numerous times he turns back or plays the ball backwards/sideways rather than receiving the ball and either opening up play, passing it forward or by moving forward with the ball into the space in front.

His awareness of players around him and the time to turn seems to be lacking and is something that he needs to learn from Nabi

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sorry but I disagree. You intimated that Dyche had instructed his players to go out and break legs.
Being physical and getting in our faces etc but breaking legs is a step too far for me.

I don't condone it but I fully understand the reasoning behind Burnley being a physical side and I'm comfortable with that. For them its about being hard to beat and getting in teams faces is part of their way of achieving it. And they're not the only side that does it either.
I don't mind getting in teams faces, it's clipping heels and fracturing legs is what I am not too happy about. And that's what he intimated, tackles and then play football.

That's what I've been trying to say all along.

Again. The ref anyone?
The Mee tackle, highlights the problem, a great opportunity for a sliding tackle, which I love to do when I play, however his 'scissor style' follow through, where he traps Joe's ankle is dangerous and that is what referee's need to see, understand and act on.

IMO any time the trailing leg when sliding/tackling comes in behind a players standing foot it should be at least a yellow and in Mee's case could have been a red - using excessive force.

Problem is that referees dont understand these challenges and also I love a good 'fair' crunching tackle I.e the 1st one in the game on Joe - great and fair tackle, just wished it was by one of our players

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Come on, no need for such dramatics is there? Far too many can't take a bit of a debate even if the point is negative.

I don't rate Matip, I think our team has massively progressed past his ability. I didn't think he had a good match last night, poor passing, was bullied by their forwards and was very slow to react in the box.. All hallmarks of his time here, so it's not a knee jerk based on last night. For a player who is 1 inch taller than Van Dijk is he is nowhere near as good in the air (he should be).
I think you've demonstrated your bias right there:

Aerials Per 90:
Matip. ; VVD
12.8. ; 6.3

Won per 90:
Matip. ; VVD
10.1(78.9%) ; 4.4 (69.8%)

Whoscored.com

Klopp doesn't use Matip as a late sub as a joke. It's because we want to nullify any aerial threat and see out the game.

Trust in Klopp.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez

Aerials Per 90:
Matip. ; VVD
12.8. ; 6.3

Won per 90:
Matip. ; VVD

Whoscored.com

Klopp doesn't use Matip as a late sub as a joke. It's because we want to nullify any aerial threat and see out the game.

Trust in Klopp.
I can't believe that's true, happy to be proven wrong though. I'll have a look tonight.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Attwell allowed Burnley to get away with everything. He typifies all that is wrong with PL referees. It is not his job to "level the playing field". If Burnley were going to be outclassed so be it. It is his job to enforce the rules fairly and without bias.
(....)
Evidently attwell and his assistance apply the rules arbitrarily to "level the playing field".
He isn't the only referee who does that.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
I agree with Dyche.

Football in my opinion to sanitised. Players are over protected prima Donna's.

The tough tackle should always be in our game. Intimidating your opposition has and always should be a part of the game.

There's an art to the hard tackle, the sly threat or at times the thuggish moment.

Players get hurt they always have and always will, it's part and parcel of professional football.

How many times has a Liverpool player slammed in to an opposing player and woke the crowd up.

I agree with most of what Klopp says - this time I can't.

Yeah Gomez is hurt but it is really just an occupational hazard.

All the pathetic comments about Dyche serve no purpose but to highlight the modern day ignorance about the game we all say we love

Shit happens - get well soon Joe and next time you come up against Mee don't forget payback time is sweet.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The Mee tackle, highlights the problem, a great opportunity for a sliding tackle, which I love to do when I play, however his 'scissor style' follow through, where he traps Joe's ankle is dangerous and that is what referee's need to see, understand and act on.

IMO any time the trailing leg when sliding/tackling comes in behind a players standing foot it should be at least a yellow and in Mee's case could have been a red - using excessive force.

Problem is that referees dont understand these challenges and also I love a good 'fair' crunching tackle I.e the 1st one in the game on Joe - great and fair tackle, just wished it was by one of our players
Exactly - that was, in fact, a leg-breaking tackle. Reckless and endangering the safety of an opponent, as the rule book terms it.

Aerials Per 90:
Matip. ; VVD
12.8. ; 6.3

Won per 90:
Matip. ; VVD

Whoscored.com

Trust in Klopp.
I thought he started very poorly but improved and had a very good 2nd half (as per my post in the pre match forum) where he won most of his aerial duels, possibly the best half aerially I have seen from him especially against the physicality of the Burnley forwards

liver1

I agree with Dyche.

Football in my opinion to sanitised. Players are over protected prima Donna's.

The tough tackle should always be in our game. Intimidating your opposition has and always should be a part of the game.

There's an art to the hard tackle, the sly threat or at times the thuggish moment.

Players get hurt they always have and always will, it's part and parcel of professional football.

How many times has a Liverpool player slammed in to an opposing player and woke the crowd up.

I agree with most of what Klopp says - this time I can't.

Yeah Gomez is hurt but it is really just an occupational hazard.

All the pathetic comments about Dyche serve no purpose but to highlight the modern day ignorance about the game we all say we love

Shit happens - get well soon Joe and next time you come up against Mee don't forget payback time is sweet.
Tough tackles should happen, but not on a night like that. It was raining, the ball was wet, the players were sliding all over the pitch.

It you go in heavy youve got no control at stopping yourself. Its just an accident waiting to happen.

Alright Now

Tough tackles should happen, but not on a night like that. It was raining, the ball was wet, the players were sliding all over the pitch.

It you go in heavy youve got no control at stopping yourself. Its just an accident waiting to happen.
Agree. This was exactly Jurgen’s point.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

I don't think the conditions mean the tackles should stop. But if you lose control of yourself, as perhaps Mee did, and make it a scissors tackle, it should be the same card as if it was dry. That was an illegal tackle, full stop, as soon as the second leg trapped Gomez. Next time we play Burnley, someone should there is no further generation of Mees.