POST MATCH: Burnley v Liverpool (EPL 5/12/2018 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

• Gomez (off 23)

• Matip

• Van Dijk

• Moreno (off 65)

• Henderson

• Keita

• Milner

• Shaqiri

• Sturridge

• Origi (off 65)

• Alexander-Arnold (on 23)

• Firmino (on 65)

• Salah (on 65)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Perhaps you are right. In the same press conference he said that it was not a foul.

If no foul has been committed then how can he expect the ref to do something.

It's like the local bizzy pulling you up and saying "I know you have done fuck all wrong so don't do it again"

Fucks sake what next?
I am a miserable old sod.......but that made me laugh out loud lol

FGred

There you go then - its up to the refs discretion whether a tackle is dangerous or out of control and warrants a yellow or red card.

On a night where the weather makes it more dangerous and easier to be out of control, the ref needs to step in and warn players and bring out the cards to penalise it accordingly.
Come on guys that Bardsley double tackle with both feet ending with Moreno crumpled up and to add insult to injury he didn’t even get a ticking off. I don’t want football to be a contactless game but I have seen Carra tackling an opposition player in our box cleanly several times but to call thuggery a mans pass time I’m sorry they will have to create a new game of football with MMA rules

nobluff

TIA Reserve Team
It would have been more palatable if Burnley would have put in this effort against Man City, rather than rolling over.

Ps: just checked the stats on that game, 11 vs 5 fouls in that game, Man C with 11.

Gazmaninaus

That’s the biggest problem with English Managers. Dyke or whatever his name is claimed he was proud of his player for competing. Most football purists would suggest competing revolves around skill. Speed. Ball distribution. In England it’s fouls and dirty tackles. Look at the Gomez tackle. Yes the lad gets to the ball but he is sliding and wrapping his legs around the players lower leg. All designed to cause injury. That’s Dykes version of competing. Piss poor really.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The ref deemed that the tackles were fair and that no action was required.

If the weather conditions disadvantage the players making the tackles would you argue that the game be postponed?

Surely the fact that you are removing a defender's right to tackle because of the weather - removes the level playing field.

The level playing field that makes football the greatest of all sports
So Maradona scored a good goal against England then, no hand ball given?

Mee's tackle, with a second leg coming in and wrapping, is illegal under the Laws of the Game. Doesn't matter what the referee called or did not call.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
So Maradona scored a good goal against England then, no hand ball given?

Mee's tackle, with a second leg coming in and wrapping, is illegal under the Laws of the Game. Doesn't matter what the referee called or did not call.
You seem to forget that Klopp said it wasn't a foul.

The point of the discussion is whether or not the heavy slide tackle is allowed.

We can all highlight ref decisions that are wrong. If they always get the decisions right there would be no need for VAR.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

The point of the discussion is whether or not the heavy slide tackle is allowed.

We can all highlight ref decisions that are wrong. If they always get the decisions right there would be no need for VAR.
Klopp can get fined for saying it was, and did not have the view of it that we did when he said it.

A slide tackle is allowed, a scissors-tackle is by definition a two-footed tackle, and not allowed - even if it happens unintentionally.

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
Klopp can get fined for saying it was, and did not have the view of it that we did when he said it.

A slide tackle is allowed, a scissors-tackle is by definition a two-footed tackle, and not allowed - even if it happens unintentionally.
My understanding was that Klopp wasn’t referring to the tackle on Gomez but the first one of the game, which i believe was also on Gomez in the RB position.
I dont mind Dyche, he is one of the honest managers out there and played some good football last season. The thing is the Ref needs to set the standard early, by letting more aggressive tackles go early you send a sign to the players that they will get a bit of leeway, so they smash a player take a telling off and then play more controlled.

Regarding stats they are misleading. A team can post a 90% passing accuracy but if all the passes are 5 yrds they are likely to be accurate. Same with aerial duels etc

kwala

TIA Regular

Must feel good when you have a keeper that does not have t-rex arms

Was just about to post that image! That is nuts! I didn't reallise just what a save it was from any angle shown! Top Save, then the stopping the corner! Then the throw to Salah!

Alisson is the best Keeper I can recall Liverpool having! I remember EARLY Grobbelaar (When he took the gloves off Clemence) , The Best of Pepe, but neither were as good as This Fella. Not even close. Clemence, Tommy Lawrence, Elisha Scott, I have no idea about, but of the MODERN era! (Post 1981! not that modern really!!) Alisson Becker is the best Keeper I have seen! AND, by a distance.

Him and VVD have our defence on a different planet! Both must be worth double what we paid already! Not a siingle pundit, Jounalist or rival supporter ever uses their cost to beat them down!

Libero

My understanding was that Klopp wasn’t referring to the tackle on Gomez but the first one of the game, which i believe was also on Gomez in the RB position.
I dont mind Dyche, he is one of the honest managers out there and played some good football last season. The thing is the Ref needs to set the standard early, by letting more aggressive tackles go early you send a sign to the players that they will get a bit of leeway, so they smash a player take a telling off and then play more controlled.

Regarding stats they are misleading. A team can post a 90% passing accuracy but if all the passes are 5 yrds they are likely to be accurate. Same with aerial duels etc
I mentioned this in the Gomez thread, I think it’s the first tackle that does the damage... it’s bad and Gomez has no support behind him when he leaves his leg dangling.

The ref deemed that the tackles were fair and that no action was required.

If the weather conditions disadvantage the players making the tackles would you argue that the game be postponed?

Surely the fact that you are removing a defender's right to tackle because of the weather - removes the level playing field.

The level playing field that makes football the greatest of all sports
Problem is, is what referees deem as acceptable, IMO most dont have a clue, a btw I was a referee instructor,.

As you said earlier it doesn't matter what Klopp said it was and should have been called a foul!!!

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Because Klopp says it doesn't mean that he is right. There are already rules to deal with players going in to the tackle out of control.

In fact players can get a red card when they get the ball. How fucked up is that?
It doesn’t make him wrong either. If good old ‘Arry Redknapp’ or Neil Warnock had criticised Burnley, Sky and their has been pundits, would be full on behind them. But because it’s Klopp, and he’s everyone’s target at the moment, his opinion doesn’t seem to count as much.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Dyche was proud of his side for losing 3-1 at home (even their goal shouldn’t have stood). He was proud of their hard tackling. He’s not exactly difficult to please is he? Perhaps that’s the problem!
Burnley are a small club with a small club mentality. Losing at home 3-1 to Liverpool is something that will please him. Why?

Because they are still in the Premier league. Yeah that's something for them to be pleased with.

There performance, given their status was better than their previous performances.

The reality is that they will get relegated in the next year or so.

Back to playing the Burton Albions and Boltons of this world.

Commando

I'm never one to bash refs, but fmd...I don't think we coulda done much more to prevent that particular shit heap of a goal.
Yeah, I meant to say that the ref allowed them to score.

Must feel good when you have a keeper that does not have t-rex arms
I think we should lay off the Pickford bashing now. Remember post Kiev when Karius's performance was all over the media. What did we do? Go out and buy a worldy to replace him. We don't want the Ev doing that do we?

Commando

BTW, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it so far but huge credit to Mo for chasing the Burnley player into the corner after the Alisson save. He got a touch that took the sting of it and allowed Big Al to keep the ball in play. We all know what happened next. :well done:

For what it's worth, about Sturridge's "dive", I don't think he has much of an option there, because it was either get hit hard, which knowing him means about 9 months out injured, or evade and fall over. Not sure what else he could do?
Yes!
I never understood those boxers who would just stand there getting hit. Ducking and diving is very important if you don't want to get hurt.
Even if a player avoids getting struck (which is nothing to be embarrassed about) the laws still allow for free kicks to be given (reckless behaviour for example).

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Fabinho was bought as a midfielder and I hope that he continues to play there and only there.
For preference, certainly, but Fabinho was a RB when he arrived at Monaco (and for his first season there iirc) and still plays there for Brazil. It's asking a lot of Trent for him to play every match throughout the next six weeks, including the hectic Christmas schedule, and I'd feel more confident about playing Fabinho at RB than Clyne at this point.