POST MATCH: Burnley v Liverpool (EPL 5/12/2018 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

• Gomez (off 23)

• Matip

• Van Dijk

• Moreno (off 65)

• Henderson

• Keita

• Milner

• Shaqiri

• Sturridge

• Origi (off 65)

• Alexander-Arnold (on 23)

• Firmino (on 65)

• Salah (on 65)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Limiescouse

For preference, certainly, but Fabinho was a RB when he arrived at Monaco (and for his first season there iirc) and still plays there for Brazil. It's asking a lot of Trent for him to play every match throughout the next six weeks, including the hectic Christmas schedule, and I'd feel more confident about playing Fabinho at RB than Clyne at this point.
He HAS played there for Brazil recently, but that is more of a statement about how few options they have in this post-Alvez era than one on his suitability for the role. He likely wont play that role for them in a meaningful game any time soon. But, it is either going to be a massively rusty and possibly physically damaged Clyne, a kid (Camacho?) or a midfielder (Hendo or Milner). Personally, I think if either Hendo or Milly were full time RBs they would both be the best in the league in the role so I'm fairly Meh about it. I would be inclined to not mess with Fabinho's adaptation by asking him to revert to an old role, but whatever. Which ever options we go with it is still probably better on the right than our number 2 LB isbe on the other side so maybe a bit of jaw clenching over not very much.

Last edited:

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
For preference, certainly, but Fabinho was a RB when he arrived at Monaco (and for his first season there iirc) and still plays there for Brazil. It's asking a lot of Trent for him to play every match throughout the next six weeks, including the hectic Christmas schedule, and I'd feel more confident about playing Fabinho at RB than Clyne at this point.
Camacho. My strong preference is to get Fabinho accustomed to playing his midfield role.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
He HAS played there for Brazil recently, but that is more of a statement about how few options they have in this post-Alvez era than one on his suitability for the role. He likely wont play that role for them in a meaningful game any time soon. But, it is either going to be a massively rusty and possibly physically damaged Clyne, a kid (Camacho?) or a midfielder (Hendo or Milner). Personally, I think if either Hendo or Milly were full time RBs they would both be the best in the league in the role so I'm fairly Meh about it. I would be inclined to not mess with Fabinho's adaptation by asking him to revert to an old role, but whatever. Which ever options we go with it is still probably better on the right than our number 2 LB isbe on the other side so maybe a bit of jaw clenching over not very much.
yeah, it is sort of crazy that the country that produce Alves and Cafu could possibly be short of players there - I think it is a mark of the transition, the swinging of the pendulum away from the style that de-emphasized style and samba in favour of countering the European style. Seems like no one wants to be that overlapping fullback all the kids were being trained to be 20 years ago.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Camacho. My strong preference is to get Fabinho accustomed to playing his midfield role.

Camacho has very little experience at RB. I think he would struggle with the defensive side of the game.

Sweeting

Camacho has very little experience at RB. I think he would struggle with the defensive side of the game.
Yeah it is kind of interesting that Camacho was used as a wing back in pre-season an did well but now he has returned to U23s football he is playing in advanced positions again.

For me, he doesn't have the cutting edge to become a PL winger but he maybe could have had half a chance at FB. The U23s have used Whelan, Hoever and Williams there but never Rafa.

FilthyBloke

Like a bumbling fool, I forgot I had agreed to do overtime at work today so doubt I’ll be finished by 4.
So I’m relying on your guys in game commentary!
Be generous with your description of the in game play. And if someone could occasionally write the score it would be handy as sometimes someone types ‘Goal!’ When it’s actually a goal that was scored 30 minutes ago but their stream is lagging .
Cheers

tesh

TIA New Signing
I watched the match (all be it on a dodgy stream) and one word describes the Dyche, is deflection.
1. they are playing rubbish
2. they need to get into an "us against them" mentality
3. We are the perfect vessel - i.e. a high profile team that likes to play football and a spat will cause a stink up
Dyche is putting this on to galvanise the team

In terms of the ref:
1. the ref let quite a lot of 30/70 challenges go
2. it was wet and in particular one of the corners of the pitch had multiple instances where players kept loosing their footing
i.) it would be interesting to determine whether watering/draining of the pitch was evenly applied
- these are after all 1st world facilities and draining should not be an issue
3. the obvious: Burnley were at home and they had a "game" plan...

Now with that in mind-

How is the ref going to officiate?
1. Does he have a word with the players and set ground rules?
- Would it matter if the message from Dyche had been to go out and "express yourselves"?
2. Does he set the tackling standards on the field?
- The risk being Burnley finishing with 6 or 7 players
3. Let a lot of on (sometime off) the edge tackles slide (pun)

In my opinion if a player makes a tackle while not in control (of his momentum) then it is a foul. As it was wet, it is thus difficult to judge your momentum and so caution is required before committing to a tackle. Yes tough tackling is fine but when in control and should not excuse intentional thuggishness. It should not be ok to say that he got the ball and so it is a great tackle if the slide (with the momentum) take one player through the other with a clear risk of injury. I do not agree that these tackles with a clear intent to intimidate is a way forward for any team and it should not be seen as a positive or something that is part and parcel of the game,

Burnley pretty much knew they were going to loose and it was about getting any sort of advantage from the encounter. Well, everyone won - except Joe who could potentially have ended his career.

William Clarke

redshirt
I can understand where Jurgen is coming from when condemning the type of tackling used by Burnley. Sliding tackles are all very well, but the conditions meant they were sliding into tackles with little control. Dyche says Mee's tackle on Gomez was a good one, but he took out Gomez's legs and sent him careering into the hoardings. No Dyche, it wasn't good, old fashioned tackling but reckless tackling, which should have resulted in cautions being handed out.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I can understand where Jurgen is coming from when condemning the type of tackling used by Burnley. Sliding tackles are all very well, but the conditions meant they were sliding into tackles with little control. Dyche says Mee's tackle on Gomez was a good one, but he took out Gomez's legs and sent him careering into the hoardings. No Dyche, it wasn't good, old fashioned tackling but reckless tackling, which should have resulted in cautions being handed out.
The Gomez tackle was a hard tackle but a fair tackle

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Hi, Irish! No, I thought Mee scissor tackled him. Yes, he got the ball, but I still maintain he took Gomez's legs out from under him on the follow through.
He might have followed through but the game is getting a bit soft . what will happen eventually is it'll be a no contact sport

Noo Noo

Hi, Irish! No, I thought Mee scissor tackled him. Yes, he got the ball, but I still maintain he took Gomez's legs out from under him on the follow through.
Just looked at it again. I dont think it was a "pure" scissor tackle as the second leg didn't come round. He did wrap Gomez up a fair bit though.

Worth noting how slick the pitch was and how this allows longer sliding tackles and a bigger follow through.

Just one of those really unfortunate things I guess. I think there were far worse challenges in that game than that one.

William Clarke

redshirt
Just looked at it again. I dont think it was a "pure" scissor tackle as the second leg didn't come round. He did wrap Gomez up a fair bit though.

Worth noting how slick the pitch was and how this allows longer sliding tackles and a bigger follow through.

Just one of those really unfortunate things I guess. I think there were far worse challenges in that game than that one.
Bardsley's tackle being one of them. I still think long sliding tackles on such a pitch is fraught with danger. It's lucky no serious injury, other than Gomez's, resulted from the tackles.

Noo Noo

Bardsley's tackle being one of them. I still think long sliding tackles on such a pitch is fraught with danger. It's lucky no serious injury, other than Gomez's, resulted from the tackles.
yeah, in fact Gomez was caught a little earlier from memory. Again a sliding tackle that was years late and from a long way out, taking advantage of the slick pitch.

The ref has to get a grip of things but when does a sliding tackle become illegal? It's one of these horrible grey areas.

Then again if the ref had really gotten a grip of the game then perhaps Burnely would have been a little more controlled.

William Clarke

redshirt
yeah, in fact Gomez was caught a little earlier from memory. Again a sliding tackle that was years late and from a long way out, taking advantage of the slick pitch.

The ref has to get a grip of things but when does a sliding tackle become illegal? It's one of these horrible grey areas.

Then again if the ref had really gotten a grip of the game then perhaps Burnely would have been a little more controlled.
Good comment, Noo Noo.