• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Cardiff 3 Liverpool 6

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
anglian_red said:
but now in mid March I think I'll actually be disappointed if we don't win it, because if we don't win it it'll be for really silly, avoidable reasons.
What?

You didn't expect us to be anywhere near where we are this season but if we don't end up doing better still you'll be disappointed? What bullshit goes through your head? In this and other thread you've posted crap like this. Every team concedes stupid goals from time to time. Every team has a bad result from time to time.

You think that with our players we shouldn't be conceding so many to Cardiff or Stoke. On paper no they shouldn't. But then again on paper City shouldn't have lost to Cardiff. Chelsea shouldn't have lost to Villa. We are in with a chance of winning the title because every team commits "silly, avoidable" mistakes. If they didn't, and it all went as it should on paper, we'd be nowhere near the top this season.

You've constantly complained about the team set up including poor defending, to the point that you think with our attack in this set up you think we should automatically win the bloody thing. In doing this you completely ignore the very simple truth that the set up we use is the reason for that brilliant attack, all of it put into place by our manager.

I'm sure he could revert to a system where we concentrate on shutting up shop first. Kenny's second tenure had a great defensive record but the result of this was our attack wasn't anywhere near as proficient as now. Hodgson tried to shut up shop to the extent where our one forward was 26 miles ahead of our other ten players. in that situation our attack was dire.

It's all about balance. I much prefer the stance Rodgers is taking now. Sure we have conceded stupid goals at times but we've more than made up for it by shifting the balance towards our attack. In those three matches you're complaining about we got 9 points. We won each of those games. We did it playing attacking football that's great to watch. I'd much rather that than sitting back, inviting teams onto us and trying to nick a few goals.

Our defending needs to improve- I completely agree. I'm sure Brendan does too. I'm also sure that our management thought they'd have a season or two to get that balance perfected before we were challenging for the title. The fact that Rodgers has managed to get our attacking side our game to be so effective has thrown that plan out of the window somewhat by bringing us into the title hunt seasons before expected.

In my opinion anyone dissapointed that we're overperforming on expectations by a massive amount either has no clue at all what they're talking about or is simply spouting crap to wind people up.

We've not lost out on anything this season due to our set up. We've gained massively from it. Tightening up could help us avoid some mistakes but I'll bet you anything we like we'd be a lot worse off than we are now.

Bobbinho

anglian_red said:
All I'm saying is it should be more. We've done enough for it to be more.

I didn't expect us to be fighting for the title this season. I thought 4th place at the very best. Even when we were top on Christmas Day I wasn't convinced, because we still hadn't played City or Chelsea. After those games I was sure we were out of the race as I felt we needed something from those two, but now I'm thinking we can still do it.

Most of the season I've thought this has all come a bit too early for us and Brendan himself has said even getting back in the Champions League is happening a year earlier than he honestly expected. If you'd offered me 2nd place back in August I'd have ripped several limbs off, but now in mid March I think I'll actually be disappointed if we don't win it, because if we don't win it it'll be for really silly, avoidable reasons.
Is what i'm thinking too & the realization that we are not likely to get a better opportunity to win it for many many years....is beginning to sink in.

We simply cannot compete with Chelsea & City in terms of squad depth & quality, they will no doubt both be stronger & more settled next season ad infinitum...., judging by our lack of proper investment & general half arsed approach in the last couple of windows my expectations or hopes of seeing all our weak area's addressed have been significantly lowered.

This season really is our chance to crack it, but like you i fear that if we fail it will be down to silly & avoidable mistakes, something that we could come to regret collectively for years to come....

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Arminius said:
Well, despite saying that Flanagan has been over-criticized, I would definitely put left back as a higher priority. Not sure we are ever going to see Enrique playing at his old level again, and I am not sure he would be CL-grade anyway. That is at least one and maybe two left backs we need to have 2-deep cover.

I think we need a more aggressive ball-winner as DM, but perhaps Rodgers doesn't, so let's say not. Maybe Gerrard and Lucas can see us through another season, though I am willing to bet many here won't believe that.

Both of those positions go right to the defensive shortcomings you raise, arguably in this very game.

We need a wide forward to play the 4-3-3 I don't think Rodgers has given up on.

That's three CL quality players I would put on our list ahead of upgrading Agger as second choice to Sakho. I would not even put left side centre back ahead of right side centre back. Toure is nearing the end of the line. I haven't seen any of Wisdom at Derby, maybe he is ready to take that step, but otherwise, I would clearly put a CL quality right side CB ahead of a left side one.

Others could certainly add, but even at 3 positions, we are probably looking at bringing in north of 60M worth of players.
LB, DM and wide forward?

Agree with LB and wide forward. We do need a midfielder - but not sure we need a DM. Will personally opt for someone who can play in one of the '2' 1-2 or as the '1' in 2-1 or in the attacking end of the diamond.

And a RB. So that's a LB, RB, a midfielder and a wide forward.

Blitzkrieg

Anfield/Sydney/Orange County
redandwhite3 said:
what another amazing away game involving you guys. Your attack for me is a joy to watch and go and far to say you one of most exicting teams going forward in world football with two up front.

But your defence was again a horror show and unlike last two away games, mistake ridden. You can,t keep allowing that as eventually your attack won,t be able to keep scoring four or five a game to bail you defence out. with city and chelsea to come that is for sure
Are you the same redandwhite that posts on 'The Shed', the Chelsea forum?

You truly are a glutton for punishment, mate. Haha.

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
Spectacular win, though we could have kept it more tight in the 2nd halt. The game was a little too open towards the final 15-20 minutes.

I am really pleased with Skrtel. What a season he has had so far. And remember, he was not even first choice until the Manure home game. There have been mistakes on his part here and there, but he has more than made up for it with his performance in general and goals in particular. Pleased with Phillipo too. Had a class game. Johnson too had a good game. But the difference were SAS. Absolutely devastating performance. Once we overcame their initial resistance and started asserting ourselves, SAS combine took the game away from Cardiff. Flanno, Agger & Allen had really poor games while Stevie & Hendo had relatively quiet ones.

I feel sorry for Cardiff fans. Remember Pelligrini telling the media after Citeh lost there that Cardiff should be one of the toughest teams to beat this season. But their owner had some stupid ideas and probably decided Championship was more exciting than PL....who knows :rolleyes: ??

Roberto Martinez said yesterday that 71 points should fetch you CL. I don't know what is the logic for the number, but he should know. Going by that, we are not far away from our first objective of the season. Hope we achieve it by this Sunday. Once we do that, we should be under no pressure whatsoever to really give the title charge a go!!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
JoebloggsLFC said:
Is what i'm thinking too & the realization that we are not likely to get a better opportunity to win it for many many years....is beginning to sink in.

We simply 1: cannot compete with Chelsea & City in terms of squad depth & quality, they will 2: no doubt both be stronger & more settled next season ad infinitum...., judging by our lack of proper investment & general half arsed approach in the last couple of windows my expectations or hopes of seeing all our weak area's addressed have been significantly lowered.

This season really is our chance to crack it, but like you i fear that if we fail it will be down to silly & avoidable mistakes, something that we could come to regret collectively for years to come....
1: We are, despite them building for years and having top managers we are competing in Rodgers second season with a 6-8th placed side over last few years.

2: We will too.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Don't agree with the notion of it being now or never to win the title. With Champions League qualification and the promised £60-70 million transfer kitty in the summer, we should be able to strengthen qualitatively and quantitatively ahead of next season. We already have a young, solid and exciting foundation in place. We look set to challenge for the title for the next four or five years if you ask me.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
trygve76 said:
Don't agree with the notion of it being now or never to win the title. With Champions League qualification and the promised £60-70 million transfer kitty in the summer, we should be able to strengthen qualitatively and quantitatively ahead of next season. We already have a young, solid and exciting foundation in place. We look set to challenge for the title for the next four or five years if you ask me.
I think you need to realise that this is the best season for us to get closest we could to win the title because a lot of managers around us were new to their job. Moyes proved to everyone that it is a daunting task to take over a very successful team and maintain their stature. We also have Pelligrini who is new to English football and Spurs having changed their manager. Even Chelsea hits a bit of inconsistency in the first part of the season.

This season everyone is trying to find their feet while we have the core group working together for a year before hand. We didn't change much in the summer, and didn't add a damn thing in the winter, so the players are familiar with each other and the role they play. If you change manager, you have to learn new style and that might not sit well with some players.

As for the bold part, where did you get that numbers from? No way in hell we are going to spend 70mil without selling someone to fund part of that kitty.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
anglian_red said:
If both Lucas & Gerrard were playing, one or the other would've picked up that run.
If both Lucas and Gerrard were playing yesterday we'd have been beat.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
trygve76 said:
Who promised this?

Anyway, there is one point where we indeed have had an advantage this season and still have, which is being able to play once a week, apart from the odd midweek match. Next season, if we are involved in the CL (touch wood), it will be a much tougher schedule, and we will likely pay for it with a number of lost points.

In that sense, and in that sense only, we still have (at this point in time) a slight advantage over Chelsea and Arsenal. Man City are like us, with full focus on the league. That's why they are the favourites. As for Chelsea, I'll cross fingers for them when they play PSG. The longer they stay in the CL, the more their focus will be divided, and the legs will be tiring.

Otherwise, our chances of competing at the top of the league will enhance with time, due to the money windfall that being involved in the CL will bring to the club.

grooveshark

Banned Users
LFC fans worldwide can begin to dream again. Add depth to this team and sort out the defense and there isnt anything this team cannot achieve should it keep on improving.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
lfc.eddie said:
As for the bold part, where did you get that numbers from? No way in hell we are going to spend 70mil without selling someone to fund part of that kitty.
I was going to say - FSG have been very tight-lipped about what they would do to consolidate in the top four, I certainly don't recall anything like a promised number.

koptician

We'll go again!
lfc.eddie said:
I guess we should start buying players with S as their first letter to their first or last name then.... Skrtel and Sterling were running riot against Arsenal I believe. Steven Gerrard been getting loads of praise of late too. NZRed mentioned about Scott Sinclair, and Suso coming back for next season. World domination?
We have Suarez, Skrtel, Sterling, Sturridge, Ger...I mean Stevie, Suso's coming back...what about a certain Shaquiri!

koptician

We'll go again!
Hope in your heart said:
Who promised this?

Anyway, there is one point where we indeed have had an advantage this season and still have, which is being able to play once a week, apart from the odd midweek match. Next season, if we are involved in the CL (touch wood), it will be a much tougher schedule, and we will likely pay for it with a number of lost points.

In that sense, and in that sense only, we still have (at this point in time) a slight advantage over Chelsea and Arsenal. Man City are like us, with full focus on the league. That's why they are the favourites. As for Chelsea, I'll cross fingers for them when they play PSG. The longer they stay in the CL, the more their focus will be divided, and the legs will be tiring.

Otherwise, our chances of competing at the top of the league will enhance with time, due to the money windfall that being involved in the CL will bring to the club.
In any case, nobody can predict the future, injuries etc next season, bad fixture list etc. and as you say CL (touch wood) would make it tougher. When you get an opportunity like this you give it all you've got. All we can do is win our games and hope someone (Arsenal?) helps out with Citeh. We beat Chelsea (assuming we win our games upto that point) and we will finish over them, at least that is in our hands.

grooveshark

Banned Users
Hope in your heart said:
Who promised this?

Fresh legs each week, better opportunity to plan for games, a much smaller rotation that has immensely helped chemistry, and a small injury list that has been helped by fewer games and lesser fatigue levels.

This season has been a blur at times, but when the top teams are on track to play somewhere in the range of 15 extra games this season alone, it shows that the team has some building to do come the summer, especially coming off a world cup year.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
The Elusive 19th said:
So you are basically keeping skrtel, sakho and flanno. Bring in 5 defenders?
I don't mess about me. :p

Seriously though, if existing players consistently don't perform to a required standard within the system the manager wants to use, what does BR do with them? Keeping them on board, even though they can't do the job he wants them to, in order to save FSG from having to buy more suitable ones, seems less than ideal to me.

If the wine is sour, throw it out.

Bobbinho

Anfield rd Dreamer said:
1: We are, despite them building for years and having top managers we are competing in Rodgers second season with a 6-8th placed side over last few years.

2: We will too.
I specifically said re squad depth & quality...not in terms of where we're at in the table this season, fact is both teams have far superior depth of quality options than we do, we have had little in terms of distractions re other competitions, they have both been fighting on many fronts, we have not, as i said earlier, this season's events & the factors that have allowed us to focus on the prem & do so well will not be the case next season.

Personally don't feel that this Club will get a better chance to win the title, not for many years at least, it will be tougher next season, we will have more games to play with Europe etc, this is our chance & im just hoping that we don't fuck it up by way of making silly errors etc that is something that we could regret for years to come....

OOTer

TIA New Signing
JoebloggsLFC said:
The benefits of Gerrard dropping deeper easily outweigh any downsides, you can see what he brings to the game, the confidence our players have going forward is largely to do with having Gerrard sitting behind them, his positional sense to pick up loose balls, his awareness for a short or long pass is impressive, he's slowly transforming himself into a quality DM & i agree that it would be very difficult for Lucas to get back into the first team in that role.
What I like about Gerrard deep is we have a playmaker deep in him and can play one higher up in Coutinho too. Not many teams can boast that.

Was thinking back to when Stevie passed to Drogs for chelsea to win the title and how far he's come in that position on the pitch since then.

Bobbinho

OOTer said:
What I like about Gerrard deep is we have a playmaker deep in him and can play one higher up in Coutinho too. Not many teams can boast that.

Was thinking back to when Stevie passed to Drogs for chelsea to win the title and how far he's come in that position on the pitch since then.
This is the point that i argued in the thread re Gerrarrd & the holding midfield role back in jan, i had little doubt that he could adapt to that role as he was virtually playing that role anyway this season....dropping deeper & deeper which seemed to strengthen that area of the park & allow him to create forward moves from deeper on the pitch.

That said, he is not getting any younger, this season he has pushed himself to the absolute limits in desperation to keep us in with a shout of the title, you can see how much it means to him/would mean to him to win the elusive one & bring it home for the fans, with CL football next season (hopefully) we would need a reliable & quality player to take that burden from him so that he could figure more for the bigger games & get plenty of rest, i can also see him retiring from his England duties after the World Cup in order to focus his energies on helping us in Europe.

Its quite ironic that many posters have been saying that they hope we win the title for him this season....yet i believe for him it's the other way round & he just wants to win the title for us....

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Kopite77 said:
Yeah, I thought the same about out scoring oppenents. But we just keep doing it. And as far as I can see, will keep doing so.

Please don't take this the wrong way but, how come you visit here so often? I love football in general but I couldn't care less about other teams forums. Again, I just want to understand what you get from our forum here, and this is an honest question being asked out of curiousity. Cheers.
I just like debating with other fans that is all/.

if we did not win the title, then your be ones i would want to win it next for football you play.. still four horse race though but chelsea for me still have edge despite city games in hand

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
SoueysTash said:
It was a dig at the arse fan............obviously
i know it was. though we have let in 17 goals in those three games, we still consistency have a better defence then yours with more clean sheets. but true those heavy defeats have costs us goals difference wise

anyway back to thread this is about saturday game. magnificent football by you guys and 82 goals after 30 games is some achivement it has to be said. whataever your issues at back, on saturday going forward you were out of this world

Bobbinho

EdWood said:
I don't mess about me. :p

Seriously though, if existing players consistently don't perform to a required standard within the system the manager wants to use, what does BR do with them? Keeping them on board, even though they can't do the job he wants them to, in order to save FSG from having to buy more suitable ones, seems less than ideal to me.

If the wine is sour, throw it out.
Completely agree with this, we need to have a shake up this summer, weak area's in the team need to be addressed once & for all, although im sure BR will have a fight on his hands re getting in the players he wants...

Bobbinho

BrennansRed said:
Yeah long as we don't do a Spurs with it. Get our problem positions sorted definitely, but the whole time this season up til Arse's implosions it was us an them as the form teams, stability and squad familiarity helped us both over the rest i think. We need new blood but even 'a shake up' sounds a bit strong and doesn't really sit well with me, cant make the same mistakes as Levy. 3-4 real quality first team contenders at most but yeah, problem positions have to be addressed this summer for good as you said. We have alot of returning loanee's for cup comps/backup so don't see the need to spunk loads on loads of players, our dressing room and team spirit is the envy of the league i wouldn't be messing that up.
I think the problem lies in the fact that we have been too slow in addressing squad depth & adding quality players (not squaddies or loanees..) therefore we have a bunch of unwanted's for which decisions will have to be made....the result of this is that by getting CL football next season we have arrived in a not too dissimilar position to Spurs last summer....

However, unless Suarez leaves....we won't actually be able to invest anywhere near the type of money they did re player transfers even if we wanted to, so that will probably be a moot point anyway considering we are likely to get CL & Suarez will stay.

I do get the point your making re keeping the team harmony/balance etc together as much as possible, but i'd like to think that we can build significantly on what we have & we will have to IMO if we want to be competitive on all fronts.

Tbh im quite confident that the driving force behind our improvement has a lot more to do with how the manager is setting us up as opposed to the team just clicking together, players have been rotated this season due to injuries & dips in form etc yet we have still made steady progress.....

BR is a good man manager & he also knows where we need to strengthen & how certain players need competition for places to maintain their hunger & avoid complacency setting in....something i think that has been the biggest reason for us struggling since Rafa left.

A squad shake up is what im talking about, the nucleus of the first team should remain as it is, we build on our strengths & address area's of weakness for which as a squad i think we have many.

anglian_red

Mascot88 said:
If both Lucas and Gerrard were playing yesterday we'd have been beat.
Well that's just horse shit isn't it? To think you criticise me for supposedly posting nonsense.

schmee said:
What?

You didn't expect us to be anywhere near where we are this season but if we don't end up doing better still you'll be disappointed? What bullshit goes through your head?

Lots of other stuff.....
Keep your silk underwear the right way round old chap. Yes I'd have ripped your arms off for 2nd place back in August but the fact is this; if it weren't for Kolo Toure's pass at West Brom & that awful first half against Villa, we'd be top of the league right this very minute. That's how tight this is and I don't want us missing out on the title because of something as stupid as that.

If Chelsea don't win it, they'll look back on results against those same two teams - West Brom & Aston Villa, with maybe those drab 9-0-1 draws in big away games earlier in the season. If City don't win it, they'll look back at both Chelsea games & the Cardiff & Villa games (Villa keep cropping up here). I think Arsenal are gone now but it doesn't take a genius to work out which big three away games they'd look back at.

I think we've unwittingly ended up with our best chance of winning it in years. I wasn't even this optimistic in 2008/09 because deep down I never really expected Sir Alex's United with Ronaldo/Tevez etc to drop those crucial few points we needed. I think the task was harder back then than it is now because no team is absolutely dominant and unbreakable right now. Everybody has their faults but Chelsea & City are best placed to sort them out.

Chelsea will probably win it next year because they've got the players and the right manager. City will probably be joined to their hip. United will have to be better next year & Arsenal will be Arsenal. It'll be tougher next year as we won't have that 'No Europe' advantage either. I just really want us to do it.

starshadow

anglian_red said:
if it weren't for Kolo Toure's pass at West Brom & that awful first half against Villa, we'd be top of the league right this very minute. That's how tight this is and I don't want us missing out on the title because of something as stupid as that.
Yes and if we only just scored 10 goals in every game we played in we'd be top of the league right this minute!

Although its frustrating to look back on things and wonder what could have been its wasted thought, its just how its worked out for us, who's to say our results would be the same if we won those two games? Maybe the players would get too cocky and lose to Arsenal or maybe Brendan wouldn't see a flaw in the team in those loses/draws..

You've said a few times you'd have done bodily harm to yourself if you were offered second place at the start of the season (as would I) so whats the problem? We are exceeding far and aways beyond anyone, even the most diehard fans expectations for this season.

Nothing in football is permanent, enjoy watching this great team play, enjoy the amazing attackers we have and what will be will be.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
anglian_red said:
Well that's just horse shit isn't it? To think you criticise me for supposedly posting nonsense.
I'm probably being a bit harsh - we might have scraped something out of the game.

But my point is that both Lucas and Gerrard are reliant to some degree on younger, more mobile, energetic midfielders doing their running for them. We can get away with carrying one of them, but we can't get away with carrying them both.

Putting Lucas into the team would mean dropping one of Henderson or Allen, presumably Allen going on your opinion of him. That leaves Henderson to provide all the energy in midfield. And all a team would need to do is isolate Hendo and they have pretty much a free run at midfield.

I like Lucas, and I've been hugely defensive of
him in the past, but his legs have gone. It's sad but that wonderful DM we had for two season isn't coming back. Expecting him to take up a pressing role is somewhere between stupidity and wishful thinking.

If he comes into the side it's instead of Gerrard, or alongside in very limited circumstances (if we want to protect a lead).

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Mascot88 said:
I'm probably being a bit harsh - we might have scraped something out of the game.

But my point is that both Lucas and Gerrard are reliant to some degree on younger, more mobile, energetic midfielders doing their running for them. We can get away with carrying one of them, but we can't get away with carrying them both.

Putting Lucas into the team would mean dropping one of Henderson or Allen, presumably Allen going on your opinion of him. That leaves Henderson to provide all the energy in midfield. And all a team would need to do is isolate Hendo and they have pretty much a free run at midfield.

I like Lucas, and I've been hugely defensive of
him in the past, but his legs have gone. It's sad but that wonderful DM we had for two season isn't coming back. Expecting him to take up a pressing role is somewhere between stupidity and wishful thinking.

If he comes into the side it's instead of Gerrard, or alongside in very limited circumstances (if we want to protect a lead).
The only position that Lucas is anywhere near fit for now is as a DM, and Stevie isn't going to be shifted from the holding role unless he has a catastrophic loss of form - good luck with that. However it's entirely conceivable that SG may end up being suspended through his accumulation of yellows that he's been picking up, in which case it'll be enter Lucas, because we'll have run out of central midfield options........again.

Lucas is still a better fit for the holding role than either Allen or Hendo imo, even taking into account his lessened effectiveness in it.

anglian_red

Mascot88 said:

Putting Lucas into the team would mean dropping one of Henderson or Allen, presumably Allen going on your opinion of him.
Given the choice it probably would be Allen yes, though I have no dislike of him at all. I think he played very well in that Christmas spell when Gerrard wasn't playing.

I don't accept your argument because Lucas never had any pace to start with. I don't remember him ever being a pacy marauding midfielder playing from box to box. Didi Hamann had even less mobility than Lucas and he did alright.

I also don't accept this idea that Gerrard is past it. If we want him to play absolutely every single match then fair enough, he might have to play a less energetic role but I think he's still got the fitness to be playing behind the striker like he did with Torres.

I'd still have Lucas in the side for away games in particular. Next season, with Gerrard being 34 and us 95% certain to be playing in the Champions League, I think we'll see more of Lucas. Brendan will have no choice but to sacrifice a bit of his attacking flair for away games in Europe and Gerrard won't be playing 3 games a week.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
anglian_red said:
I'd still have Lucas in the side for away games in particular. Next season, with Gerrard being 34 and us 95% certain to be playing in the Champions League, I think we'll see more of Lucas. Brendan will have no choice but to sacrifice a bit of his attacking flair for away games in LEAGUE and Gerrard won't be playing 3 games a week.
fixed. You don't bench your only midfielder with Europe experience when playing CL. He plays and leads the team. Rest him on league games when the competition is not as fierce