• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Cardiff v Liverpool (EPL 21/4/19 4pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 86’]

• Matip

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Robertson

• Wijnaldum [GOAL 55’]

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • Keita [off 70’]

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Salah

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Firmino

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Mane

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Fabinho [on 70’, off 74’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Milner [on 74’, GOAL 80’]

• Gomez [on 86’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
He definitely had a good game, but generally speaking the MoM poll votes reward defenders for attacking play, or defensive saves. Hard to get noticed against a team conceding half the field for most of the match.
True, @Arminius, but they did have chances to score even though only had 14/15% of the play. I think we can afford to give Matip the MotM because he isn't going to win many.

p.s. It has to be said he may not even win this MotM because Gini's coming up on him fast and may very well come out ahead in the voting.

Last edited:

Red over the water

One of the criticisms of the modern footballer is they earn so much money that they are out of contact with the everyday person. So they try to have some sort of contact via social media, a comment here and there, a bit of a laugh for the best ones, and it’s all just to reveal a bit of themselves and have some contact (OK, cynically for some it is to boost profile and make money).

But then after sticking their neck out and venturing into the public domain, they get battered for it!

The outcome will be no social media, or an agent or club PR/third party handling it all, which is already what we are starting to see. You then just get sanitized, anodyne comments, but definitely no real contact or comment from said player.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Decided to read the comment section on Milners Instagram after the game....had to stop after 20 messages in a row criticizing him, asking for him to be sold.
They can’t be Liverpool fans, they’ll be trolls from other clubs. If anything, Liverpool should be offering Milner another contract, or he’ll walk in June when his current one expires. We need him to stay, a fantastic roll model for the younger players.

melbournered

They can’t be Liverpool fans, they’ll be trolls from other clubs. If anything, Liverpool should be offering Milner another contract, or he’ll walk in June when his current one expires. We need him to stay, a fantastic roll model for the younger players.
I'm pretty sure his contract expires in 2020. Remember James Pearce following up on that and confirming it with the club, as there seemed to be some confusion about that, a while ago. His experience is invaluable.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
I looked at the fans, I don't like saying it, but alot of them are ' Mo Salah fans'. He is highly revered and a role model in the Middle East Africa and Asia and is now even more high profile as he is on the cover of TIME magazine. I don't think they get it as they may not be following the EPL in the way we follow it. Hope you know what i mean here.

Last edited:

William Clarke

I'm pretty sure his contract expires in 2020. Remember James Pearce following up on that and confirming it with the club, as there seemed to be some confusion about that, a while ago. His experience is invaluable.
I agree. He's got to be kept on even if it's as a squad player getting a game now and then. As you say, his experience is invaluable and the club as a whole should benefit from this.

William Clarke

I looked at the fans, I don't like saying it, but alot of them are ' Mo Salah fans'. He is highly revered and a role model in the Middle East and Asia and is now even more high profile as he is on the cover of TIME magazine. I don't think they get it as they may not be following the EPL in the way we follow it. Hope you know whatbi mean here.
If you mean @Maria that they don't get how important Milly is because of his experience, then I am in total agreement with you. I know some of us have players we like more than others, but that shouldn't come down to so-called fans trolling their own club's players.

Maria

If you mean @Maria that they don't get how important Milly is because of his experience, then I am in total agreement with you. I know some of us have players we like more than others, but that shouldn't come down to so-called fans trolling their own club's players.
Yes, this is what I am thinking, I maybe wrong. They don't understand Milly's role in the team. They see Mo as the main striker, so he should take it. Or, if They are neutral fans, who support other clubs, they like Mo because he is one of their fellow citizens, from that part of the world, they can relate to him and his background and religion etc. You know what I mean. Abit like Muhammad Ali, the boxer, they revered him all over the world.

William Clarke

Yes, this is what I am thinking, I maybe wrong. They don't understand Milly's role in the team. They see Mo as the main striker, so he should take it. Or, if They are neutral fans, who support other clubs, they like Mo because he is one of their fellow citizens, from that part of the world, they can relate to him and his background and religion etc. You know what I mean. Abit like Muhammad Ali, the boxer, they revered him all over the world.
I completely understand you, but to me a Liverpool player is a Liverpool player whatever country he comes from. I don't understand them supporting an individual player before the club. Maybe it's me just being old fashioned, but I agree with what you say. :well done: :wave:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I completely understand you, but to me a Liverpool player is a Liverpool player whatever country he comes from. I don't understand them supporting an individual player before the club. Maybe it's me just being old fashioned, but I agree with what you say. :well done::wave:
Salah is an awfully big deal in the Arab-speaking world. I play with a couple of guys who were/are Real Madrid fans, but wanted to see Liverpool win the CL last year, and now absolutely despise Ramos.

Maria

I completely understand you, but to me a Liverpool player is a Liverpool player whatever country he comes from. I don't understand them supporting an individual player before the club. Maybe it's me just being old fashioned, but I agree with what you say. :well done::wave:
I totally agree with you and it is madness
I swear I heard this on the radio (Talksport Sports Bar) last year, before a Champions league final. One Man Utd fan, born and bred in England right, his parents were Egyptian. He wanted Mo Salah to win Champions League, but didn't support Liverpool. He really wanted Mo to win it because he would make his parents and the whole of Egypt proud regardless of him being a Liverpool player. :eh?:

William Clarke

I totally agree with you and it is madness
I swear I heard this on the radio (Talksport Sports Bar) last year, before a Champions league final. One Man Utd fan, born and bred in England right, his parents were Egyptian. He wanted Mo Salah to win Champions League, but didn't support Liverpool. He really wanted Mo to win it because he would make his parents and the whole of Egypt proud regardless of him being a Liverpool player. :eh?:
As I said in the previous post, I really can't understand that sort of thinking. Ah well, it takes all sorts to make our world.

William Clarke

Salah is an awfully big deal in the Arab-speaking world. I play with a couple of guys who were/are Real Madrid fans, but wanted to see Liverpool win the CL last year, and now absolutely despise Ramos.
Still don't understand that way of thinking @Arminius, but as you say it does go on.

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
Its been said that should Leeds United get promoted to the EPL, Leeds-born-and-bred Milner would want to leave to join them.
It that still true? If so, then chances are quite high that sadly he'll be playing his last few LFC games.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I have an extra reason for wanting to win something this season. My wife is also a fan and it looks like the Lung Cancer will ensure this is her last season. We will be cheering for United for the first time in our lives.
I will stay up for you and your wife, and cheer with you thousands of miles away my friend.

If Milner leaves Liverpool, I would love to see him in a top quality Serie A team. I would love to see a no nonsense Yorkshire man amongst those face moisturiserising Italians.:-)
Quite sure he mentioned about him going back to Leeds....

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I have an extra reason for wanting to win something this season. My wife is also a fan and it looks like the Lung Cancer will ensure this is her last season. We will be cheering for United for the first time in our lives.
There are a few of us in another thread hammering each other, over perceptions. Its human nature, and passion overtakes us all. Life can seem to be difficult, a trial at times. The normal day to day moaning and whinging, but again that is human nature. There is comfort in having a moan....

We do need moments of clarity, and your news, devastating in its frank honesty brings that to us all.
I am truly sorry for you and your wife. There are bigger things than football, bigger things to contemplate and you have the ultimate wretched scenario to contend with. I hope and your wife you get time, peace and comfort. YNWA

William Clarke

There are a few of us in another thread hammering each other, over perceptions. Its human nature, and passion overtakes us all. Life can seem to be difficult, a trial at times. The normal day to day moaning and whinging, but again that is human nature. There is comfort in having a moan....

We do need moments of clarity, and your news, devastating in its frank honesty brings that to us all.
I am truly sorry for you and your wife. There are bigger things than football, bigger things to contemplate and you have the ultimate wretched scenario to contend with. I hope and your wife you get time, peace and comfort. YNWA
Nice comment @Quicksand

Red83

had to vote for gini.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
He definitely had a good game, but generally speaking the MoM poll votes reward defenders for attacking play, or defensive saves. Hard to get noticed against a team conceding half the field for most of the match.
I found it dificult to name a player for motm yersterday. No one was really outstanding. The reason I voted for Matip was he had a decent game defensively and carried the ball well through our midfield. How I understand your post you gave your motm to another player. And I think that‘s ok. It all depends on the pov.
I‘ve got the feeling that some players have more credit by us fans than others. Players with less credit have to perform really outstanding to become motm. For other players a mediocre performance is enough to achieve that if there was no other outstanding
player.
Maybe I‘m wrong with my opinion, but that‘s what a forum is about.

Nur der BvB09

I m hopping manure make us all the favour and wish you all the best in this difficult Situation.YNWA

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Its been said that should Leeds United get promoted to the EPL, Leeds-born-and-bred Milner would want to leave to join them.
It that still true? If so, then chances are quite high that sadly he'll be playing his last few LFC games.
If Milner did go to Leeds, he’ll have to take huge drop in salary and I don’t think he’ll go there if they remain in the Championship.