Post Match: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool (EPL 29/9/2018 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Milner (off 85’)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Henderson (off 77’)

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Salah (off 65’)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Mane

• Firmino

• Shaqiri (on 65’)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Keita (on 77’)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sturridge (Totally on 85’, THUNDERBASTARD 88’)

Votes: 61 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Just a quick reminder: this time last season, our defence was leaking like a sieve and our front 3 were just as wasteful. Remember the draw at Moscow with Spartak?

Fast forward 12 months and we now have one of the best defences in the EPL and most importantly we are winning with our forwards misfiring once again. It is only a matter of time before they rediscover their touch. Also at some point Keita and Fabinho will come into the side and take us to another level and our bench has never looked stronger in the Premiership era. And that's without counting the long-term absentees like Chamberlain, Lallana and possibly Brewster.

We've come leaps and bounds in the space of a year and compared to our rivals we have by far the biggest margin for improvement. We're looking every bit like a team that can contend on multiple fronts.

Redsi73

All in all it was a very matched game. Chelsea had chances, we had chances and the draw was probably a fair result.

As much as our front three aren't really firing at the moment there's just no sense in benching them. What we need is more goals from elsewhere on the pitch when the forwards are struggling.

Unfortunately we don't have that. Gini/hendo/Milner may get you probably 10 goals maximum a season, Ox, keita and Fabinho may get you more if they ever get chance to play together.

Only frustrating thing for me yesterday was Hendos passing, not the sideways and backwards passing or the lack of forward passing..... Just the way he passes! When he passes he seems to put spin on the ball, so I sideways pass from the right side always seemed to be going backwards more often than not. It usually made the player he was passing to check his stride.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Salah hasn't been poor. In fact he hasn't been poor for a very long time (I can't even recall one game for us). His decision making has been off and his shooting boots are missing, but poor he has not been.
In your opinion and down to how you define his standard and level. I agree with you that he hasn't been poor for a side fighting for top 6.

Well that was a riot!

We actually murdered Chelsea in their own back yard, yes we had some problems, evident from the scoreline. But we mainly dictated the game. Had our forwards converted, many other problems wouldnt arise. They need to stop that split second pause, and play the play that is on, smack the ball, go for it; scoring is an intuitional process. We seem to be dwelling.

Robertson had a tough time I thought, but he will step up. He got run ragged in places. Probably had a lot to think about last night, but he will evolve and make the adjustments, he is a smart lad with bags of quality.

I'm really not seeing what Henderson is adding; yes he sits in and does that job but he's not offering much else. We looked far better when Keita replaced him; in fact we look better when Gini sits in that role. Gini, who had another great game yesterday.

Becker was world class yesterday he saved us twice from going farther behind. Van Dijk, well how much class and leadership. He'll end up being club captain in a few years.

A massive result for us. Had our forwards the appetite we would have won that by 2 goals. Its the main work-in-progress to get them firing. It is time to let one or two watch from the sides to recollect themselves. Salah actually had a decent game, bar in front of goal, but he looks very tired. Shaqiri missed an absolute sitter. We need to be a little more ruthless; these little mistakes are what sets champions and runners up apart, and they hark back to our previous seasons as pretenders. I trust Klopp to iron them out this year. We need to get real!

Daniel Sturridge........................wrap your foot around that! I'm still staring at the goal with dropped jaw.

Maria

I keep rewinding and watching that stunning Sturridge goal. I mean, surely that is a contender for goal of the season, a bit Coutinho esque. Usually Danny scores his beautiful goals inside the box.

ETA: Seeing the Chelsea players afterwards was quite nice, they thought they had the win wrapped. Never write off Liverpool until the last whistle. This reminds me of how we used to play in the 1980s.

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Salah hasn't been poor. In fact he hasn't been poor for a very long time (I can't even recall one game for us). His decision making has been off and his shooting boots are missing, but poor he has not been.
Doesn’t that constitute being poor though? He plays as our most forward player, he is the one we get into goal scoring positions to score goals.. If he is not finishing them surely by definition he is playing poorly? Make no mistake I agree he does everything right until the final option be that executing a pass, or taking the shot but he is not doing them as he did last season.

It could be hangover from the injury from the final, it could be the ongoing war with the Egyptian FA, it could be many things. It certainly is not a crisis but it is a small concern as all 3 of the front men are slightly off form. The key this season is our backline keeps us in games, we no longer need our front 3 to be smashing in 3+ goals as we’d always conceed 2+ ourself.. Great attacks get you top 4, great attack supported by a solid defence win titles..

Redopium

Our front 3 all had efforts saved almost on the line
I keep rewinding and watching that stunning Sturridge goal. I mean, surely that is a contender for goal of the season, a bit Coutinho esque. Usually Danny scores his beautiful goals inside the box.

ETA: Seeing the Chelsea players afterwards was quite nice, they thought they had the win wrapped. Never write off Liverpool until the last whistle. This reminds me of how we used to play in the 1980s.
I didn't hear it on tv but apparently the chavski fans were chanting Chelsea reject when Danny came on, what a way to shut them up. lollollol

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
I was so disappointed, I flipping well switched off after the last 5 minutes.

I don't care, we got a vital point. That will do!
I could understand you turning off if we were say 9 points behind (cough Utd) but after 7 games we're right there. If we could just find that killer instinct in front of goal we'd be unstoppable. But joint top, if someone had said that I'd have bitten their hand off.

So pleased when that goal flew in though we deserved at least a point.

Maria

From what I understand, from some of the Chavvy section of Chelsea fans, they were chanting disgusting chants at Liverpool and singing Gerrard songs. I mean, why dont they sing their own songs about their team. Sums that lot up with their narrow minded mentality.

Our front 3 all had efforts saved almost on the line

I didn't hear it on tv but apparently the chavski fans were chanting Chelsea reject when Danny came on, what a way to shut them up. lollollol

Last edited:

Maria

I could understand you turning off if we were say 9 points behind (cough Utd) but after 7 games we're right there. If we could just find that killer instinct in front of goal we'd be unstoppable. But joint top, if someone had said that I'd have bitten their hand off.

So pleased when that goal flew in though we deserved at least a point.
I shouldn't have turned off really, but I was so so frustrated. I didn't know about the Man Utd result till later on in the evening.

Redopium

From what I understand, from some of the Chavvy section of Chelsea fans, they were chanting disgusting chants at Liverpool and singing Gerrard songs. I mean, why dont they sing their own songs about their team. Sums that lot up with their narrow minded mentality.
And with our fans displaying a Justice for Grenfell Victims banner they should be very embarrassed.

That's the thing when you are at the back, there's no one to cover you if you are out of position ;-), although as previously stated & in hindsight VVD should have moved over to cover the player Gomez was marking so he could then cover Trent's position...... this still doesn't change what Trent did as Hazard found the space and run where Trent should have recovered to!!!

When defending keeping shape is important especially as defenders, so that if mistakes happen in front of you i.e Milner's pressing, then you are in position and become harder to break through.

I suppose people see different things and with me it as always been the defensive side of the game both positionally and individual defending which I seem to pick up and when it happened I was screaming for Trent to follow Hazard, irrespective of what happened before and the best thing about Treny he does learn from his mistakes.
Gomez wasn't marking any one he just stood there watching.

Fine margins. If Sturridge doesn't score a worldie out of nothing you might be sulking in front of the telly tonight instead of posting on here. So might I. Fact is that team finished 4th last year (o.k we have a better 'keeper now) and watching that earlier all I could think is we just aren't good enough. Don't get me wrong I thought we held our own but it looked like one of those all-too-familiar defeats where you end up wondering what might have been.
It does seem strange that we signed a whole new midfield in the summer, players we thought would tick all the unticked boxes, and yet we started with the same midfield that gets lambasted from all angles whenever it plays together. All very good players in their own right but seriously lacking in craft, guile and creativity. These aren't 3 mugs we've signed, they are vastly experienced players and it all seems a bit odd to some of us.
W need it to click pretty soon because the team that started today isn't good enough to win the title imo, despite our excellent start. Our two best performing centre-mids are a fella who we thought might be peripheral this season and one who many would have been happy to offload in the summer. Today the front 3 looked like they'd won a competition to play. Strange times.
The desire and will to win was evident again but we seriously lacked quality and composure in the final third. We'll have to be more clinical next week despite our recent record against the northern chavs.
Just as an aside I've been trying to think who's goal Danny's reminded me of. Think it might have been Barnes' against Villa at the Kop end in the late '80's, and one or two others since. it was an absolute stunner.

Nah, just googled diggers' goal and although there are similarities it's not the one. It's gonna bug me.
nice to see someone who thinks like myself,instead of a lot of people who seem to be getting carried away with our position in the table,which i personally think points more to the poor quality of the opposition,dont get me wrong im very happy with where we are and our points tally,but in my opinion we have been very average,in fact compared to last season we are awful,last year we were blistering in attack and played some wonderful football,i must say our defence has improved 200%,with all 4 and the goalkeeper in general outstanding,midfield has been fairly solid,milner in particular doing very well,but the front 3..well i dont know what to say really,firmino puts in a lot of work,mane is pretty selfish and wasteful,and as much as i adore mo salah he has been abysmal so far this season,and as a trio they dont seem to have a clue.
Now like most people i think they dont turn into bad players overnight and eventually they will click..but what if they dont?? i really hope its sooner than later because lucks been on our side lately with late goals against psg and chelsea,with napoli and man c this week we really need to start hitting last years form...i really hope we do because we were a joy to watch compared to this season.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Nobody can take any credit from Sturridge’s goal other than he himself. You can dribble past 10 players or Alisson could lobbed a perfectly weighted, pinpoint pass to him wouldn’t even matter. That goal is all him. It’s not like Sturridge was up against the keeper and 5 yards away from goal. That is one hell of a strike, quality only a handful players could do.

By the way, did anyone see how Mignolet celebrated that goal? He was elated like as if he was on the pitch playing. He leaped out of his seat and jumped with both hands in the air. Klopp turned and gave him a bear hug.

RedForever2014

Very entertaining and interesting match, which leaves one with a lot to think about.

I didn't understand the in match comments on here, suggesting we were murdering them and just couldn't score. We were creating chances but play was even, in fact I think they were slightly better.

Their issue was a lack of a striker of the quality to trouble our defence, if and when they sign one they'll be some side. Their midfield of Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho has quality and the right mix of what you need, with Hazard and William quality attacking midfielders. Their defence was solid enough too and their subs are more like for like than we have.

For us, our full backs had a challenging day, although despite some criticism of Gomez I've seen, I thought he was good and seems to work in harmony with VVD more than the other centre backs we have. He needs to watch the switching off, which is happening less than it was but still there.

Alisson might have done better for their goal, but is top quality. He made a couple of interventions that Karius or Mignolet would have conceded.

For me the trio of Alisson, Gomez and VVD looks quality, and is a big step up from last season. We need to see Gomez do it consistently over time, and we need the full backs to step up a bit to the level of the others in that back 5, but currently it's as strong as we've had in years.

The main issue with defence is we have no real opportunities to rest VVD without the level dropping. In time, if Gomez becomes top quality independent of VVD's on pitch influence, this might change. The back up centre backs are good players, and alongside VVD good enough back ups, but I just don't see Clyne and Moreno offering any real rotation for TAA and Moreno. Maybe to rest TAA we have to rotate at centre back and shift Gomez out right in some matches.

Year on year though, defence is way stronger, with VVD effectively replacing Klavan, TAA and Robertson developing significantly and Clyne back from injury and available if not ideal.

For me the issues are midfield and attack.

This has to be viewed as a six man unit, because it's the six positions that get tweaked tactically, the defence remains the same week to week, as a 4 man unit with overlapping full backs on their natural side.

Whilst the trio of Henderson, Gini and Milner has delivered, most notably in the Roma matches and against PSG, it does not do so consistently against all types or level of opposition.

I think it can only work week in week out if the front three are on fire. In a way, despite its limitations it kind of acts as the platform from which an on fire front three can do their damage.

But if the front three are not on their game, the lack of creativity in that midfield three is felt.

Why the front three are so off colour is debatable. It could be Salah is hindered by the injury, something having changed in his physiology, and all three might be feeling the lack of a proper summer break. But the problem when they are not firing, in my opinion, is that as they are perhaps not as effective individually as they are as a unit, in comparison to say a Hazard or a Aguero.

When one goes off form, they all seem to. Bobby, in particular, looks average despite working hard, when he's not on top form.

The cover for the front three is better than last season, but Shaqiri doesn't have the pace to come in and do the same job, whilst Sturridge's all round game isn't quite enough to be playing regularly in this system, plus he'd probably get injured if he did.

We have a better defence year on year, and a better forward squad. But I really do think that year on year our midfield isn't quite as good or deep just now. If Fabinho is effectively Can's replacement in the four players (Milner, Hendo, Gini) who we mostly use for the two or three CMs, he's certainly not yet able to rotate into the midfield three in the way Can could this time last year.

But where we are really being hit hard, is that Keita and Shaqiri are not yet able to deliver in attacking midfield as Coutinho and Oxlade could last season (Coutinho this side of Xmas, Oxlade after). I haven't even mentioned Lallana, who for me no longer offers anything at all and didn't do last season either.

This is where the failure to replace Coutinho, especially in light of Oxlade's year out and potential reduced level, is hitting us. There is no doubt that a Fekir type would have added something to this squad.

Certainly, when one looks at the outfield squad, we have perhaps 16 players who can be rotated. The four centre backs, the two first choice full backs, the five CM's, the front three plus Sturridge and Shaqiri.

There are issues within that rotation pool, mostly the need for all three centre backs bar VVD to have VVD alongside, the lack of full back rotation options, four of the five CMs being similar workhorse types (only Keita a bit different), Sturridge having to be used sparingly and Shaqiri not really ideally wide man cover, plus the absence of a quality 10.

Coupled with the likes of Clyne, Moreno, Lallana, Origi and Solanke not likely getting any game time at all, there is still work to be done on this squad.

Personally I hope we find a way to combine the back up full backs into a rotatable two footed option and the other three into someone who is good enough to rotate in attacking midfield and attack.

For next season we really need to take those five out, sign a quality full back and attacking player, welcome back Oxlade and hope a couple of youngsters are ready to come in at the level we need.

For me, adding an attacking player in January would very much help this season's cause, given the issues we're having in attacking midfield and attack.

Last edited:
It is quite sad but tells you a lot when a team sings song about us. I watched the Man City game and they were singing their version of Allez Allez and they weren't even playing us ! Speaks volumes when your team is the object of other teams chants . Up the Reds

Doesn’t that constitute being poor though? He plays as our most forward player, he is the one we get into goal scoring positions to score goals.. If he is not finishing them surely by definition he is playing poorly? Make no mistake I agree he does everything right until the final option be that executing a pass, or taking the shot but he is not doing them as he did last season.

It could be hangover from the injury from the final, it could be the ongoing war with the Egyptian FA, it could be many things. It certainly is not a crisis but it is a small concern as all 3 of the front men are slightly off form. The key this season is our backline keeps us in games, we no longer need our front 3 to be smashing in 3+ goals as we’d always conceed 2+ ourself.. Great attacks get you top 4, great attack supported by a solid defence win titles..

I just wish people understand that Salah's problem now is purely mental . the more people criticise or write bad notes (which he always reads by the way) the worse the impact on him . continue ignorant comments and I guarantee you he is off end of season to shine elsewhere ... which I pray is not going to be one of our PL rivals....

I just wish people understand that Salah's problem now is purely mental . the more people criticise or write bad notes (which he always reads by the way) the worse the impact on him . continue ignorant comments and I guarantee you he is off end of season to shine elsewhere ... which I pray is not going to be one of our PL rivals....

Maria

You know I love Jurgen to bits right:-), but the one thing which really does my head in, when he substitutes very late in the game. I am like tearing my hair out round about 65 minute mark.

Can anyone explain this trait of his to me, thanks?

Commando

The criticism need a perspective.

We won a point we did not lose two. Chelsea are a very different animal under Sarri and on current form Hazard is the best offensive player in the world. They don't have the distarction of the Champions league, so that is another reason to expect them fighting for top 3.

Just reminding that after Sturridge's equaliser, we had no chances to win the game, Chelsea pushed us back and had 2 decent chances to score in the final 5 minutes /Moses shot from the penalty box was blocked by VvD and in the final seconds Alonso had a free header that went over the bar/.

And let's take a short look at our fixtures during September - Leicester away, Spurs away, Chelsea away and Saints at home. Of course a bonus game in the Champions league vs. PSG :-). That's three away games against teams that are in top 7 of the league at the moment, never mind that Chelsea and Tottenham are still part of the pack fighting for the title.

For a comparison City played these games in September - Newcatsle home, Fulham home, Brighton home and Cardiff away and they also played at home vs. Lyon in the CL.

Chelsea played Bournemouth home, Cardiff home, Liverpool home and West Ham away. And they also palyed away in Europe league vs. PAOK.

At this moment Liverpool are doing excellent job. Now we have two very, very difficult games vs. Napoli and City. But even if we lose both of them the league is still open. The problems are clear to see - our front three don't function the same way as last year, but... We must remember that last season the front three did not score so many goals till the end of October. The loss vs. Tottenham changed many things in our club.
Last season we scored more than three goals only in 3 of our first 9 league games/ Leicester away, Watford away and Arsenal home/. This season we are close to that, we have scored 3 or more goals twice / West Ham home and Saints home/.
In 2017/2018 we had difficulties scoring more than one goal vs. Manure /0-0/, Burnley /1-1/, Newcastle /1-1/, City away /0-5/, Spurs away /1-4/, Palace /1-0/.

Several words about our midfield vs. Chelsea. Hendo, Gini and Milner /people talk about our spending but these three cost less than Jorginho/ were up against Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic. And for most of the time our midfielder clearly dominated the game. Our pressing was fantastic and we had several good situations that were not used by our fron three /mainly by Salah, but I still think that his movement is improving. He was not doing so many little things at the start of the season/.

And if we lost, I would not have said that we lost because of the midfield. Cheslea had the edge till the 89th minute because of Hazard. Salah and Mane had both 5 chances to score goals /For example everybody criticizes Salah, but Mane at the 44th minute, trying that bycicle kick, whlile Robbo was absolutely unmarked in a perfect situation/.

TAA also went missing too many times, it is madness leaving twice Hazard clearly 1vs1 with Becker and luckily Alisson saved us the second time. Robo also lost Willian first half, but was much improved during the second 45 minutes. Trent must learn that defending is his first responsibility, probably instructed by Sarri and his staff Willian felt that our young player is making mistakes /leaving too many free spaces defensively/ and his best attack came again from our right side, but luckily VvD and Gomez managed to block the brazilian.

And finally at the start of the season I said that in my opinion we are short of one more offensive player - the type of Pulisic, Reus, Brandt, Werner, Lozano or even Fekir/ still not his biggest fan, but obviously Klopp wanted such type of player for a reason/. Shaqiri is not a bad option, but just compare him with Mahrez or Bernardo Silva. City are still the favourites for the title. Klopp is building a fantastic team, but fans need to realize that reality is different from dreams and we have to be patient.

Even in midfield we have only one offensive player at the moment - Keita. AOC is injured for the season and Lallana is troubled with injuries for maybe 18 months. Fabinho, Milner, Gini, Keita and Hendo that is what we have at the moment. Fab and Naby are still adapting to the league and we rely again on the those who played almost the entire 2017/2018 campagn.
We lost Can, Coutinho and AOC this year, all three of them were hugely important players for Klopp.

Perspective, patience and support for the manager and the players.
Good post

Virgil is the real deal. Saved us in the end.
Allison better than I thought he would be .
Robertson actually made a few mistakes for the first time this season, Still has to be one of the best fullbacks in the league.
Henderson (love him) but we need Keita for creativity and let Gini play deep where he has done so well.
As great of a goal that Daniel had . Shaqiri had an equally bad miss.
I actually like the Chelsea coach. Class comments and smiling at the end . fuckers don't deserve him

Great game to watch if you were a neutral or new to football.

We still have a lot of room to get better where I feel they played to their max potential .

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Maybe you should read someone’s post fully before responding? I clearly said something is up, I also clearly stated I’m not criticising I was nearly concerned (which included Firmino and Mane btw) we appear to be stuttering up front.

The second part of your post.. Well where to start? A player will leave because random fans on a forum said he missed some easy chances? Not sure if you are serious to be frank, very strange post. Salah will get over his slump, and he'll be here next season. Will that stop people questioning his current poor run of form? No of course not but he gets paid an exorbitant amount of money, so lets not go all silly about not being able to discuss his form as we do any player.

Commando

Maybe you should read someone’s post fully before responding? I clearly said something is up, I also clearly stated I’m not criticising I was nearly concerned (which included Firmino and Mane btw) we appear to be stuttering up front.

The second part of your post.. Well where to start? A player will leave because random fans on a forum said he missed some easy chances? Not sure if you are serious to be frank, very strange post. Salah will get over his slump, and he'll be here next season. Will that stop people questioning his current poor run of form? No of course not but he gets paid an exorbitant amount of money, so lets not go all silly about not being able to discuss his form as we do any player.
Added to which, it's a good job none of our posters have ever criticised any other of our players (Moreno and Henderson for example).

phil smith

A fantastic equaliser from Studge that at least gave us a point to go home with.
Feel for Mo a bit. He's giving 100% but things are not clicking for him as yet.
Allison was immense and last night paid back a big chunk of the fee.
All of the front three are struggling to click like last season but we've got to be patient and it will come.( Hopefully next Sunday)
With the majority on here thinking that Keita should really be on from the start.
Gave MOM to Robbo for his tireless work throughout the game .

LFC7NH

He always reads them...? Errr how do you know?

Well in that case... Hi Mo :wave::wave: We love, please don't leave at the end of the season to a PL rival.

Sorted.