Post Match: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool (EPL 29/9/2018 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Milner (off 85’)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Henderson (off 77’)

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Salah (off 65’)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Mane

• Firmino

• Shaqiri (on 65’)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Keita (on 77’)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sturridge (Totally on 85’, THUNDERBASTARD 88’)

Votes: 61 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FGred

It is quite sad but tells you a lot when a team sings song about us. I watched the Man City game and they were singing their version of Allez Allez and they weren't even playing us ! Speaks volumes when your team is the object of other teams chants . Up the Reds
That’s why I was disappointed with Studge not celebrating his goal out of respect for these morons

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
It is quite sad but tells you a lot when a team sings song about us. I watched the Man City game and they were singing their version of Allez Allez and they weren't even playing us ! Speaks volumes when your team is the object of other teams chants . Up the Reds
Their version of Allez Allez! How does that go? :think:

"We’ve not conquered all of Europe.
We’re never on the up .
From Bilbao down to Zabrze.
We’ve won one f***ing cup".

Allez allez allez allez....................................................:yawn:

Sweeting

Their version of Allez Allez! How does that go? :think:

"We’ve not conquered all of Europe.
We’re never on the up .
From Bilbao down to Zabrze.
We’ve won one f***ing cup".

Allez allez allez allez....................................................:yawn:
Its a full song about us. I've just asked my City supporting colleague why they have a song about us and if they are trying to manufacture a rivalry.

I naively thought City and Liverpool qere united in our hate of that other Manchester side but I guess not. Still don't hate them. Don't care enough.

nonodoll

That was a great game of football. As we all know, away at Chelsea is always one of the toughest ties in the league. As good as the game was, there were so many moments of frustration. I love our players, but I found myself yelling at images of Salah, and Mane missing the target on both shots, and defense splitting passes; nearly threw my drink across the room on more than one occasion. The irony with that is that I ended up knocking my drink off the table in celebration when Sturridge stopped time with his majestic thunderbolt.

As many have mentioned, what a felling to have a worldy of a keeper. Not only did Alison stop two one on ones, but he was off his line so quickly, to nullify more than a few dangerous moments.

Van Dyke is a hell of a center back, and Gomez is just as much of a 'smooth criminal'. I love the moment in the game, when it looked like Hazard had another breakaway, buy big Virg, and Joe closed on either side of him, and punked the ball from him, and sent him tumbling (legally I might add).

Speaking of smooth criminals, Danny Boy, take a bow. I loved seeing him take the pass, look up, with a maelstrom of Chelsea players around him, and say to himself, "yeah, top corner, lets break some plastic hearts".

Again, as a football fan, what an entertaining game, and as a Reds fan what a way to take the wind out of a rival's sails. Too many times have I seen that happen to us over the years.

On to Napoli!

Spitfire

Resident Realist
From a purist perpsective one hell of a game.

I guess what is also nice is that when you look at the table the top positions are all filled by teams trying to play the game in the right way.
Agressively with attacking purpose.

This could be one of those years where if you won the league you'd be absolutely overjoyed, and if you lost it - it would be hard to begrudge the team that beats you to it.

Chelsea looked a long way off what you saw under Mourinho and Conte.........unforutnately for us and pleasingly for them.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Incredible game of football.

Disappointed not to win it, felt like we were the better side. That's a good thing though, based on this game, we get more points this season.

Loved Studge getting his goal

Not worried about Salah either, he's no one season wonder. His confidence is shot, he'll get back tho

Roll on Napoli and City

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Missed the match, just saw the highlights. Likely I won't get a chance to watch it.

But I read the post-match in full and I completely fail to understand why so many "supporters" are being hyper-critical of our lads right after we have gone undefeated in league play. Draw away at Stanford Bridge, seriously folks we are tied for top of league after 7 weeks.

15 goals for, 3 against.

Danny banging them in for fun again. Who could have predicted this?

Part of how any team works, the individuals pick up each other. Odd to see Salah subbed off, but there is a reason we have such a big roster... They are people very similar to the rest of us and they go through ups and downs too. Patience, people. We aren't in a relegation battle, enjoy the ride

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Nust noticed that when Henderson and Milner got subbed off, Virgil got the armband.

Also, that Becker proved his worth with two great stops on Hazard. Kept us in it.

Salah seems to get into great positions, but lacking the end product. Same thing happened last season, he didn't start regularly converting opportunities until October. Shaqiri being slated but he was the one who got the ball to Danny for the goal. Keita drove the ball forward but that movement ended and Chelsea had 10 behind the ball when he took that AMAZING shot.

RedLar

All about Sturridge. The Audacity of it. Magnificent bastard
Audacious is understating what Sturridge did. He took the fucking piss. He took a touch, looked up as if to say "I'm sticking this in the top corner, try and stop it", then proceeded to execute. The only thing he did not do was fucking point at the top corner.

Was i not the only one thinking of his effort that hit the bar midweek? Very similar. Very unlucky. The magnificent strike just proves the midweek effort was no fluke. You'd think the keeper would have been on to that, but the shot was still unstoppable.

One of THE greatest Liverpool goals. Certainly in the context of the tightness of the match, the opposition, and our season to date.

RedLar

The only thing to moan is Klopp not taking Henderson off earlier for Keita when there are fucking lots of space between the fucking lines. Henderson has offered near to nothing both offensively and defensively today in the midfield at all. Once Keita came on, the composure of our midfield returned even with a tired Milner and Gini.

There has to be a fucking stat somewhere where everytime Gini-milner-Henderson midfield axis comes on, we will either lose possession to the opposing team or lose the clean sheet or even both.
I personally thought the quality of Willian, Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Hazard, rather illustrated just how one dimensional hendersons game has become. He's in there to shift the ball and keep our game ticking over. That's Henderson in a nutshell. Is it enough?

Surely, at some point in a match like that, Henderson has to throw caution to the wind and try to put his stamp on the match. He is after all liverpools captain. I think we should expect more than just his industry in games against our best opposition. I just don't think he can offer more than the grunt work and an occasional bark at the players.

His replacement was completely warranted, and I really wonder why he was so clearly pissed at being removed. Perhaps he should channel some of that anger into pressing forward a little, looking for a telling pass, or another worldy goal from the edge of the Chelsea box. He frustratingly, at times, tries nothing.

On a couple of occasions, he indeed found himself in a position, not unlike that which he curled in his own great effort at the bridge some years back. He shipped it on, despite having a fair bit of time. Chelsea didn't even bother to press him as they know he's a one touch, shift it on player. Well, that's the way I read it.

Henderson will be more than adequate against most of our opposition this year, even the better sides, but there are times we will need our captain to impose himself on a match and affect the result, with a little more than industry.

Once Keita or Fabinho get into their rythmn, we might see less and less of our skipper. Remains to be seen if he'll be missed much,should any of that come to pass.

Personally thought wijnaldum superb today and gave him my motm. Underrated player.

Last edited:

RedLar

Thought Allison got himself retreating too deep in his goal to stop the hazard effort. Considering the angle, it was a weak goal to allow. Had he been out another yard or two, I'd have backed him to stop what was not a particularly strong shot. Rest of his match was excellent.

YeGra

Thought Allison got himself retreating too deep in his goal to stop the hazard effort. Considering the angle, it was a weak goal to allow. Had he been out another yard or two, I'd have backed him to stop what was not a particularly strong shot. Rest of his match was excellent.
Hazard did what few players do in that position, and that is to hit it low, hard and across goal.

Alisson was trying to get across to cover his near post and got caught out by the timing of the shot to get low enough. It was an error by him but certainly wasn't a howler. Most of the credit has to go to Hazard.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Salah hasn't been poor. In fact he hasn't been poor for a very long time (I can't even recall one game for us). His decision making has been off and his shooting boots are missing, but poor he has not been.
Agreed. And I think we often understate the good fortune Salah had in getting off to a good start last year, a start which in all honesty is not that far off what he has done this year.

He gets his first goal against Watford, scruffily bundling in after Firmino lobs the keeper.

He then goes two without scoring until Hoffenheim at home where he again benefits from good fortune - a strike from Bobby rebounds off the post and Salah stabs home from a few yards out.

In the following game at home to Arsenal, he scores his first goal of real quality, charging down a bit of poor control and running the length of the field to slit past Cech. But even if that game, there were about 3-4 good chances he missed.

There is then the City drubbing, before we go to Sevilla and Mo gets his fourth. A speculative shot that isn’t troubling the keeper, until it takes a wicked deflection and loops in.

From then on, he is off, and it’s shows what a difference a bit of luck early can do for you. I think Mo is trying a bit to hard and overthinking things, but he is also not getting rub he got early on. He has three goals so far, compared to the six he got last year. It’s isnt too much of a stretch to say with a bit of fortune he could have had a couple more. It’s also worth remembering that by the start of October last year, we’d played two more matches.

YeGra

Watched most of the match. Missed a bit transitioning between pubs as the first place we went to was extortionate: £19.50 for three small cans of beer!!

Anyway, it's a result that feels like a win. We could have won it but don't think we outright deserved to. What's important is we're standing toe to toe with a title rival away from home. We had the better of the chances, and we were never really on the ropes.

Huge credit to how far we've come. Sturridge is loving football life again. To be able to bring on Sturridge, Shaqiri and Keita from the bench is incredible. Onwards and upwards I say.

I personally thought the quality of Willian, Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Hazard, rather illustrated just how one dimensional hendersons game has become. He's in there to shift the ball and keep our game ticking over. That's Henderson in a nutshell. Is it enough?

Surely, at some point in a match like that, Henderson has to throw caution to the wind and try to put his stamp on the match. He is after all liverpools captain. I think we should expect more than just his industry in games against our best opposition. I just don't think he can offer more than the grunt work and an occasional bark at the players.

His replacement was completely warranted, and I really wonder why he was so clearly pissed at being removed. Perhaps he should channel some of that anger into pressing forward a little, looking for a telling pass, or another worldy goal from the edge of the Chelsea box. He frustratingly, at times, tries nothing.

On a couple of occasions, he indeed found himself in a position, not unlike that which he curled in his own great effort at the bridge some years back. He shipped it on, despite having a fair bit of time. Chelsea didn't even bother to press him as they know he's a one touch, shift it on player. Well, that's the way I read it.

Henderson will be more than adequate against most of our opposition this year, even the better sides, but there are times we will need our captain to impose himself on a match and affect the result, with a little more than industry.

Once Keita or Fabinho get into their rythmn, we might see less and less of our skipper. Remains to be seen if he'll be missed much,should any of that come to pass.

Personally thought wijnaldum superb today and gave him my motm. Underrated player.
Yes, agreed. I wonder with Henderson whether he was ever suited to play 6, for in his last season where he was positioned farther forward, our close ran 2014, he did, and earlier to that, produce some fine attacking play and goals, out wider right. Is he that disciplined that he cant, so to speak, leave his post? I think it would do him good to rediscover his earlier attacking prowess and push for a place in the more advanced midfield role, I mean, that was naturally what he had been shaped for as a youth.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Best Match i have Seen this Season. With manc the three best teams in the league right now. This was a bis Test für us But we we're the. better team and Could have won. Chelski were very very good, but we were better- this game convinces me we are at least a top three team now.

The skill level was breathtaking, the tactical battle absorbing. I think we were better- and that to me shows that Klopp has brought this club from 7th/ 8th to 2nd, from 40% to 95% - a huge change in a few years. Plus this team is young and has time.

Regarding individual players, its not seeing the woods because of the trees. I think all 11 gave something to this game. Robertson gets better and better, Milner was back to his brilliant best. Ive never seen Wini so skillful and so good. Gomez is the find of the season !! he is massively good and will just get better. TAA looks so mature now after one full season. There is just so much good about this team, and we arent in top geasr yet !!!!

Allison, I counted three top draw saves, two 1 on 1s. Its like having Clemence back in goal !! however he is so great with distribution, he is commanding, even got a hand on the goals shot.

Away to Chelksi could have won !! On the 1st of October I can count the teams who LOST the title in September, we werent one of them, in fact, we were one of only three teams setting the pace, and even Chelksi, for all their good, have a shaky defence at times. Good times to be a reds fan.... oh I gave Wini the nod for man of the match... and watched the highlights and couldnt believe how many clear chances we had !

LeoT

I'm happy with the result.

I can't remember the last season in which we could say...

Great Keeper between the sticks
Possible the best centre back paring in the league???
Both full backs can defend, attack and cross a ball.
Our Midfield matched "Jorginho - Kante - Kovacic", at no point looked inferior, and at many points looked superior.
In front of that we possibly have the most feared front 3 in the league.

All backed by a Manager who actually seems to know what he's doing.

the starts are aligning

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Probably the best overall match of the league so far - in the end, despite carrying the play for about an hour, it felt like Liverpool was lucky to come away with a draw. Just too inefficient in the last fourth. Both keepers ended up having to make some very big saves, plus the two Chelsea clearances off the line by defenders saved them the point.

Something of a testimony to how Liverpool has rebuilt that Klopp was the guy throwing on credible substitutes late to try to salvage a result, while Sarri really did not have many options.

Round 1 to Sarri I would have to say, in the 180 minute match they played this past week. Obviously a lot of mutual respect there, second straight Chelsea manager I cannot dislike. Overall, I thought Sarri did a better job of managing his resources to get results through the two-legged fixture. Barring that Sturridge wonder-goal, it would have been a decisive week for them.

I guess one of the downsides of having a manager like Klopp is that his teams will not do the obvious and give Hazard an Eto'o style hatchet job 3 minutes in when refs don't want to give a yellow, but it is exasperating to give up two goals to a side that is otherwise so blunt.

GermanRed

Probably the best overall match of the league so far - in the end, despite carrying the play for about an hour, it felt like Liverpool was lucky to come away with a draw. Just too inefficient in the last fourth. Both keepers ended up having to make some very big saves, plus the two Chelsea clearances off the line by defenders saved them the point.

Something of a testimony to how Liverpool has rebuilt that Klopp was the guy throwing on credible substitutes late to try to salvage a result, while Sarri really did not have many options.

Round 1 to Sarri I would have to say, in the 180 minute match they played this past week. Obviously a lot of mutual respect there, second straight Chelsea manager I cannot dislike. Overall, I thought Sarri did a better job of managing his resources to get results through the two-legged fixture. Barring that Sturridge wonder-goal, it would have been a decisive week for them.

I guess one of the downsides of having a manager like Klopp is that his teams will not do the obvious and give Hazard an Eto'o style hatchet job 3 minutes in when refs don't want to give a yellow, but it is exasperating to give up two goals to a side that is otherwise so blunt.
Easy to say afterwards but...

In the League Cup we were one Robertson or one Wijnaldum away from winning that game. I also think that we would have a big advantage with Mignolet in goal in a penalty shoot out.

In the League Keita should have started ahead of Milner or Henderson because he has the ability to dribble past opponents in tight spaces.
Sturridge starting ahead of one of our Front3 could also have helped - i’m not saying this because of his goal more because he Is able to keep the ball in front of opponents box. Firmino in the other hand always trying to run into opponents.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Easy to say afterwards but...

In the League Cup we were one Robertson or one Wijnaldum away from winning that game. I also think that we would have a big advantage with Mignolet in goal in a penalty shoot out.

In the League Keita should have started ahead of Milner or Henderson because he has the ability to dribble past opponents in tight spaces.
Sturridge starting ahead of one of our Front3 could also have helped - i’m not saying this because of his goal more because he Is able to keep the ball in front of opponents box. Firmino in the other hand always trying to run into opponents.
Definitely - fine margins across the two matches, and we led the League Cup match most of the way. You could sort of say they snatched a somewhat better late result than we did, but the league draw may end up being the more important of the two.

LeoT

I think all the stuff about Hendo not playing well is non-sense.

Klopp got the midfield perfectly right, all 3 players (Hendo, Milner & Gini) did white well.
We could have risked a slightly more attacking midfield by using Keita instead of Hendo, however we could have conceded another goal or two.

That midfield shielded the back 4 well, and provided enough going forward for us to have scored 3 or 4 goals (if the boys up front were on their game).

Neukolln

I watched the match again last night, clear of all game day emotion and a completely level head. It was an impressive tactical display from both sides, clearly both managers knew what the other liked to do and wanted to nullify those tendencies. It was a beautifully played match and one I might add that was also officiated really well.

With that said, Jürgen came in with a very specific plan and it was executed better than I thought it was on first watch. Check out that video Livvy posted, it's all in there. Firmino absolutely erased their main catalyst in Jorginho, and forced their CB's to generate. Bobby absolutely erased him. He was doing so much work defensively that he won't get credit for. Liverpool were sloppy only two or three times, but Chelsea being a well drilled and well coached lot themselves, took advantage of those mistakes and turned them into real scoring chances. Alisson stood tall on those mistakes and made the saves. He made a few outstanding saves. On one in particular he forced Hazard to shoot before he wanted to. Liverpool were incredibly wasteful in the final 3rd. Well discussed already. When I watched the match again I couldn't believe the number of top class scoring chances they created. The game really shouldn't have come down to Studge's magic because it realistically could've/should've been a one sided affair. Chelsea were hanging on for dear life in spots. I will give them credit for putting Liverpool back on their heels though after Studge's goal. They were going for the win.

I agree with RedLar on Gini. He is a really underrated player and a fantastic athlete. I know he had that breathtaking back pass mistake late that Alisson bailed him out on, but he really played a fantastic game. I don't want to turn this into a Hendo/Gini debate but right now Gini is much better suited to play the deeper role because he's just a superior athlete. His athletic ability and football IQ makes him a perfect cover for the back 4 as well as generating the rush when needed from the back. He can also get forward and contribute. I am torn between Gini or Alisson as MOTM.

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team
So the day after the day after I say this;
Feeling somewhat disappointed after a draw away vs Chelsea goes to show how far we’ve come.
Who is the tailor/butcher in charge of clothing Sarri?
Chelsea will fade when Hazard gets injured/drop in form.
Want Keita in the middle.
Our attack has to be more clinical.
Looking forward to ManC, feels like Napoli is not so important, dunno why.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing

I mean even Joe Allen could also keeps things ticking over too...

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
I think all the stuff about Hendo not playing well is non-sense.

Klopp got the midfield perfectly right, all 3 players (Hendo, Milner & Gini) did white well.
We could have risked a slightly more attacking midfield by using Keita instead of Hendo, however we could have conceded another goal or two.

That midfield shielded the back 4 well, and provided enough going forward for us to have scored 3 or 4 goals (if the boys up front were on their game).
Seems that the reigning champions had no issue playing 2 very talented attacking midfielders in the middle of the park.
Is that why they are champions?

NZred

The Red From NZ
I posted in here after the....Spurs (?) game that I watched Henderson very very closely and I got increasingly frustrated with his passing, that more often than not was backwards or sideways to the R/LBs. After the Chelsea game and seeing his passing chart I feel completely vindicated in that view. For all the running and tracking he puts in he really offers fuck all on attack. He literally passes backwards more than he passes forward, that seems to entirely defeat the purpose of a central midfielder. I hope it's only a matter of time before Keita usurps him in the middle of the park. That lad is going to be a modern day Gerrard, we haven't even scratched the surface of what he'll offer. But it'll be more than Henderson.

jredp

cut it close, but studge scores a beauty to keep us joint top and preserve our league run unbeaten. Personally think we were the better team, even though chelski had more clinical and clear cut chances than our lads. take the positives from the game and bury our half chances will take us a long way and hopefully keep us always looking down the table, because nobody is above us.