Post Match: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool (EPL 29/9/2018 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Milner (off 85’)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Henderson (off 77’)

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Salah (off 65’)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Mane

• Firmino

• Shaqiri (on 65’)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Keita (on 77’)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sturridge (Totally on 85’, THUNDERBASTARD 88’)

Votes: 61 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Thought Allison got himself retreating too deep in his goal to stop the hazard effort. Considering the angle, it was a weak goal to allow. Had he been out another yard or two, I'd have backed him to stop what was not a particularly strong shot. Rest of his match was excellent.
No way responsible for that goal. What you are saying is like saying if the Chelsea kept was a foot nearer his goal when he dives then he might getva hand on sturridge's shot

RedLar

Watched most of the match. Missed a bit transitioning between pubs as the first place we went to was extortionate: £19.50 for three small cans of beer!!

Anyway, it's a result that feels like a win. We could have won it but don't think we outright deserved to. What's important is we're standing toe to toe with a title rival away from home. We had the better of the chances, and we were never really on the ropes.

Huge credit to how far we've come. Sturridge is loving football life again. To be able to bring on Sturridge, Shaqiri and Keita from the bench is incredible. Onwards and upwards I say.
Erm, what kind of beer is 6.50 a can? More importantly, who drinks beer from a can? Back of the class.... lol

RedLar

No way responsible for that goal. What you are saying is like saying if the Chelsea kept was a foot nearer his goal when he dives then he might getva hand on sturridge's shot
Meh, who cares really? Thought it was softish. No biggy.

hoosierred

Erm, what kind of beer is 6.50 a can? More importantly, who drinks beer from a can? Back of the class.... lol
A lot of high end craft beer is now canned instead of bottled (for a detailed explanation of why cans are so superior read the fine print on one of those fancy high end beer cans, I can't possible remember), so to be a proper beer snob that is the next best thing to drink what is on tap at a trendy local microbrewry.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
A lot of high end craft beer is now canned instead of bottled (for a detailed explanation of why cans are so superior read the fine print on one of those fancy high end beer cans, I can't possible remember), so to be a proper beer snob that is the next best thing to drink what is on tap at a trendy local microbrewry.
Beer goes bad when exposed to sunlight which is not an issue if it's canned as they're impenetrable, big issue if it's bottled and particularly so the clearer the bottle is.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Beer goes bad when exposed to sunlight which is not an issue if it's canned as they're impenetrable, big issue if it's bottled and particularly so the clearer the bottle is.
Lightstruck beer. The oil resin that comes from the hops during the brewing process can react with UV rays to give off a fairly nasty rotten smell (and makes the beer taste like arse. In bottles, brown does the best job of preventing light from getting through, but is more expensive to produce.

That's why Corona is actually served with a lime wedge, because back in the day their beer would go off within 2-3 weeks since they're in clear bottles, so the lime was to mask the crap flavour. (Which they've now managed to use as a marketing gimmick these days, but..)

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Offtopic, but it is the interaction of UV light and the adjacent part of the visible spectrum with chemicals that occur naturally in hops. Under that light, they turn into exactly the compound that skunks produce in their musk. That is why a blue beer bottle may as well be clear, it is screening out all of the spectrum except the part that actually matters.

Limiescouse

Offtopic, but it is the interaction of UV light and the adjacent part of the visible spectrum with chemicals that occur naturally in hops. Under that light, they turn into exactly the compound that skunks produce in their musk. That is why a blue beer bottle may as well be clear, it is screening out all of the spectrum except the part that actually matters.
Busch Gardens in Tampa, back when they were still owned by Busch, used to have a Budweiser beer school. One of their demonstrations was a blind taste test they would run on the entire audience comparing two beers. The demonstration was supposed to show the importance of beer being fresh (do you remember the "born on label" marketing AB ran in the late 90s?) as one of the bottles was purposefully "skunked." What it actually showed was that significant numbers of the crowd preferred the "skunked" beer. The two important caveats is that the test beer was bud light, so the skunking at least imparted some flavor, and the other is that most of the people unwittingly ruining the demonstration were Brits.

Anyway, to avoid being chastised by the mods - no way can Alisson be blamed for the Hazard goal. It's one he would save a fair number of times, but that does not mean that he is fault for the ones that go in.

RedLar

Lightstruck beer. The oil resin that comes from the hops during the brewing process can react with UV rays to give off a fairly nasty rotten smell (and makes the beer taste like arse. In bottles, brown does the best job of preventing light from getting through, but is more expensive to produce.

That's why Corona is actually served with a lime wedge, because back in the day their beer would go off within 2-3 weeks since they're in clear bottles, so the lime was to mask the crap flavour. (Which they've now managed to use as a marketing gimmick these days, but..)
My understanding re Corona was that the lime or lemon (acidity) was used to kill of bacteria in any imported Mexican beer, because that is how they did it in Mexico. Made no difference outside of Mexico, but that was the origin of the "craze".

RedLar

If I am in a pub, I would drink draft beer (pints). Some still taste shit. Some great.. My next choice would be a bottle. Last of all, a can. I often find that I can taste metal from a can. Its just my opinion. If I do buy a bottle or can, I would still prefer to pour it into a glass. Perhaps this is the snob in me, but I just like beer in a glass. Also,I can never taste the glass.

It all ends up getting pissed down the drain, and me wearing an internal balaclava the next day, so who really gives a toss?

I am not deviating from my original point that any can of beer costing 6.50 is still extortion.

RedLar

Like I said - not a big deal to me..... but, I still think I am right.

Check Allison's position in each of the following chances.

My opinion that Allison was too deep in his net for the Hazard goal. Much less for Jesus to shoot at in the his 'missed' chance, and Allison is a much bigger keeper to get past. Allison 3-4 yards closer to Jesus. Uncanny similarities in the chances all the same.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist

My opinion that Allison was too deep in his net for the Hazard goal. Much less for Jesus to shoot at in the his 'missed' chance, and Allison is a much bigger keeper to get past. Allison 3-4 yards closer to Jesus. Uncanny similarities in the chances all the same.

I'm an ex keeper and still think you are way harsh.
Edit
Looking at it from just a picture doesn't tell the whole story BTW. What angles are the players actually running at him ect . a lot of variables to consider

RedLar

I'm an ex keeper and still think you are way harsh.
Edit
Looking at it from just a picture doesn't tell the whole story BTW. What angles are the players actually running at him ect . a lot of variables to consider
Huh! Variables? Them chances were almost identical. Took me 94 hours to cut and paste that lot an' all. lol

If you WERE a keeper, then tell me what position you'd teach a young keeper to take up in a similar situation. First or second?

Keeping is all about making yourself big, and Jesus can see a lot less of the net than did Hazard. My original point stated that Allison found himself too deep in his net which, if you are arsed to watch it again, is true. It made the chance a lot easier for Hazard to finish. In the second instance, he was able to position himself better. Its hardly a condemnation of Allison anyway.

What say other resident "Ex Keepers"? Know what I'd be saying.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Huh! Variables? Them chances were almost identical. Took me 94 hours to cut and paste that lot an' all. lol

If you WERE a keeper, then tell me what position you'd teach a young keeper to take up in a similar situation. First or second?

Keeping is all about making yourself big, and Jesus can see a lot less of the net than did Hazard. My original point stated that Allison found himself too deep in his net which, if you are arsed to watch it again, is true. It made the chance a lot easier for Hazard to finish. In the second instance, he was able to position himself better. Its hardly a condemnation of Allison anyway.

Well I agree with you. He was slightly out of position for the Chelsea goal. I thought it at the time but it was still a great finish. Otherwise Alisson was brilliant in that game so, like you say, no big deal. Well done on the screen grabs.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist

No I get what you are saying but what I ment is while both look the same in a picture they might have been complete different situations so while your point is technically correct I still don't think he was weak on the Chelsea goal.

RedLar

Took the liberty of superimposing our keeper from chance 2 over chance 1, and you can clearly see he has made himself bigger, though decent chance for a meg. Picture has not been retouched in any way.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

There's a slight difference in both instances. Hazard situation where Alisson had to retreat further back was because of Giroud's position. A cut back will see Giroud get the end of that and Alisson might have a better chance stopping Giroud's tap in. Against City, Aguero is running not towards goal but behind Van Dijk to go around him. So Alisson only has to worry about the shot from Jesus. Very different situation in my book.

RedLar

There's a slight difference in both instances. Hazard situation where Alisson had to retreat further back was because of Giroud's position. A cut back will see Giroud get the end of that and Alisson might have a better chance stopping Giroud's tap in. Against City, Aguero is running not towards goal but behind Van Dijk to go around him. So Alisson only has to worry about the shot from Jesus. Very different situation in my book.
I'll still disagree with that, but we are getting down to hair splitting on this. At some point the keeper has to stop worrying about the possible passes and do his primary job in keeping out any shot. If you watch the video of the Hazard goal you see Allison retreating into his net. He simply gets too far back to be effective in stopping the shot. The finish for Hazard is much simpler than it had to be, because the far side of the net is open to him.

IMHO only one thing on Hazard's mind, and it ain't passing back to Giroud who hasn't scored all year.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Wow, really? We give up 3 league goals and you lot are picking apart keeper positioning from open play?

You’d think that for £65mil we would have gotten a keeper with go-go-gadget arms.

On a positive spin, if that’s what we’re spitballing on these days we are in good shape :well done:

RedLar

Wow, really? We give up 3 league goals and you lot are picking apart keeper positioning from open play?

You’d think that for £65mil we would have gotten a keeper with go-go-gadget arms.

On a positive spin, if that’s what we’re spitballing on these days we are in good shape :well done:
OK, please tell us what we are allowed to discuss and we can all make you feel more comfy. ;-)

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
OK, please tell us what we are allowed to discuss and we can all make you feel more comfy. ;-)
Canada is legalizing the devil's lettuce next week. That will make me feel more comfy ;-)

It was more a tongue-in-cheek laugh at how mundane our concerns are with the club. We are not destroying teams on a weekly basis but are putting up a hell of a fight even though it's totally obvious we aren't playing to our potential

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The main difference of course is that one is being taken by Hazard and one by Jesus. Two very different players and the analysis depart will have worked with Allison one how each is likely to approach a situation like that. That makes a big difference.

RedLar

Canada is legalizing the devil's lettuce next week. That will make me feel more comfy ;-)

It was more a tongue-in-cheek laugh at how mundane our concerns are with the club. We are not destroying teams on a weekly basis but are putting up a hell of a fight even though it's totally obvious we aren't playing to our potential
Aha! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Hard to spot printed irony when you are going full tilt at "not being arsed" :-(

hoosierred

If I am in a pub, I would drink draft beer (pints). Some still taste shit. Some great.. My next choice would be a bottle. Last of all, a can. I often find that I can taste metal from a can. Its just my opinion. If I do buy a bottle or can, I would still prefer to pour it into a glass. Perhaps this is the snob in me, but I just like beer in a glass. Also,I can never taste the glass.

It all ends up getting pissed down the drain, and me wearing an internal balaclava the next day, so who really gives a toss?

I am not deviating from my original point that any can of beer costing 6.50 is still extortion.
Just remember: you don't buy beer, you rent it.

Red over the water

Redlar - repped for the posts above, first for taking the time to show the two similar chances, and then for the massive Alisson! Ha!

On consideration of the whole thing my tuppence worth is that the Hazard goal was mostly down to the player. Alisson isn't really at fault there. Obviously any goal is partly down to the team conceding it, so if we want to pick the Chelsea goal apart a bit more, my money would be on stopping the diagonal ball over the top, either at source or being better positioned in defence.

RedLar

Redlar - repped for the posts above, first for taking the time to show the two similar chances, and then for the massive Alisson! Ha!

On consideration of the whole thing my tuppence worth is that the Hazard goal was mostly down to the player. Alisson isn't really at fault there. Obviously any goal is partly down to the team conceding it, so if we want to pick the Chelsea goal apart a bit more, my money would be on stopping the diagonal ball over the top, either at source or being better positioned in defence.
Several fingers pointed at our captain in some posts I have read elsewhere. The amount of space a player like Hazard was afforded is questionable, in any event.