• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Chelsea 2 Liverpool 1

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Deserved victory for Chelsea based on their first half performance. We didn't do enough in the second, and Howard Webb is obviously a first grade moron, but that's something we know since long.

Big time pressure now for our next match against Hull.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We didn't turn up after our goal. Deserved result. A very scrappy second half with both teams cancelling out each other, all thanks to Lampard taken off from the game.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Depressing to end up losing the way we did. I hope we can get 3 points each off of City and Chelsea at home.

Our squad looks so stretched now. Allen and Coutinho both suffering injuries in the game. I hope we have them fit for Hull and can manage to get the 3 points there.

Need an investment in January. First priority should be replacement for Johnson. That guy is absolutely horrible.

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
We were professionally rodgered today. Mouriniho knew that we were weakened by injuries. He played to get his nose in front and then cheated his way to the finish line. No class

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
We didn't turn up....but we were definitely robbed of at least 1 penalty and a red card.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Got battered for half an hour in the first half, thought it was quite even other than that.

We were stretched to the limit with our squad this week and narrowly beaten away to Chelsea and City, no disgrace. We've got a much nicer run of fixtures coming up and the chance to strengthen in the jan window.

Not so bleak just yet.

Edit: Forgot to add that Webb is an incompetent cunt.

Redbelly

TIA Youth Team
Suarez never got the service.

I love Lucas, but he is just not quick enough anymore.

Johnson was crap.

Agger at left back did not work.

Bringing Smith on? BR got that one all wrong.

Really missed Sturridge and Gerrard today.

Hope we buy and buy well in January.

Hell, I'd of taken fifth right now at the beginning of the year, the results just got my hopes up, thus the disappointment.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I don't think we played well enough to win, probably not even to draw. In that sense, yet another embarrassment of a refereeing performance probably did not decide the game, though a penalty/red card for Eto'o might have changed things significantly.

Need to move on and start to recapture ground in these softer fixtures.

abcd

Disappointed not so much with the result as the easy manner in which Liverpool once again surrendered a vital lead in a big game. After taking the lead Chelsea were comfortable enough. Fergie's buddy made sure there would be no comeback either way. Its been a tough few days but Hull at Anfield on New Year's Day needs to be won to keep right in the hunt for a top 4 spot. The sight of Steve Bruce on the sideline should in itself be motivation enough.

Colin

TIA First Team
Could have nicked a draw
Chelsea back to being complete scabs. Hateful cunts

Suarez was kept quiet,que the surez can't score against top 4 BS

Migno cost us a few critical points this week.

Let's go on another run

P.s. What does Luis have to do to get a pen? Sickening

jimbo

TIA Regular
Blame the officials all we want, we were pathetic. Worrying how far apart we are from the top 3 teams in England. Our midfield has been good against lesser teams. But lucas, Allen, Henderson are very tame. Brendon got 2 big decisions wrong!

Smith was awful , why bring him on against such a big opposition. Aspas should have come on to support Suarez who didn't get 1 decent Paz from our midfield. We were taught a footballing lesson

Nystal

I think its safe to say that when we all saw the fixture list, we knew that this game and the one vs City would be the toughest in a tricky christmas fixture list.

Once again I'm disappointed because of dodgy officiating, if Howard Webb had of gave the pentalty for Eto'o on Suarez then It would be a very different mood around here, sadly though it was Howard Webb...

From our perspective a couple of injuries look like they have made the Hull fixture a more difficult proposition. Great to see Brad Smith make his debut and have an impact, albeit a minor one on the proceedings, with a bit of match sharpness he could be one to watch.

Glen Johnson was missing most of the game and when he chose to get involved, he broke down attacks on his own.
Young Raheem had another good game, but I wish he wouldn't try beat players when Johnsons gone on the overlap, it leaves us hideously exposed.

6 points from the last 12 and all of the tougher teams played away from home already except for United. Heres hoping we push on into the second half of the season and that Arsenal and Everton fall away!

steve10

TIA New Signing
The ref didn't help but we didn't play well either. The front 3 had no support from midfield and the less said about Johnson the better. Cannot understand the manager either- why not bring Alberto on for Allen.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Excellent performance in most parts. Chelsea were extremely effective and efficient. I think Agger showed what a good player he is playing forward and defending. I'll be calling for him every game from now on at DM because Lucas looked like he was carved from granite. Good showing from Sterling too. Suarez was trying but it just didn't come off for him today. Hendo his normal good pressing performance but one too many flicks. Smith? A gamble that didn't pay off but if it had, BR would have been a genius, thus is the nature of managent.

Reality check. We just lost 2 games away at 2 clubs who've spent the GDP of Germany on players in recent years. No shame there at all.

Positives? Torres stank the place put like a dead skunk :)

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
Redbelly said:
Suarez never got the service.

I love Lucas, but he is just not quick enough anymore.

Johnson was crap.

Agger at left back did not work.

Bringing Smith on? BR got that one all wrong.

Really missed Sturridge and Gerrard today.

Hope we buy and buy well in January.

Hell, I'd of taken fifth right now at the beginning of the year, the results just got my hopes up, thus the disappointment.
Agree, so many poor performances today

Kopreneur

TIA Youth Team
I think that's the reality check we needed, in terms of where we now stand in the table.
Hopefully that'll give the players the drive they need in the second half of the season.

Our midfield just wasn't there today, I can't pinpoint where it went wrong but I wasn't impressed the energy shown by the midfield trio.

LiVeRp0oL89

I'm more worried about our game against Hull at this point. Fatigue and injuries are killing us.. Can we sign Salah on New Years Day please!?

t34m43

I way too pissed off with the officiating to give a good objective look on the match.

gb1986

Some of those decisions were unbelievable. It's lucky Etoo didn't score when he was 5 yards offside otherwise id expect Rodgers to be banned for the rest of the season.

Chelsea VERY lucky not to have at least 2 players serving 3 game suspensions. Us VERY unlucky to pick up MORE injuries.

I feel really hard done by, but we we definitely weren't at our best either.

Need a replacement for Johnson next week, it's beyond ridiculous how bad he has gotten, lazy, lethargic, doesn't care, can't pass, slows down or breaks any attack we try to put together that involves him, i'd love to know what's happened there.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Smith had 3 to 4 touches and lost the ball each time and gave away a foul. While Alberto sat on the bench.

Sterling was awfull.

Johnson was poor.

Asspass is absolutely not up to it.

We didnt offer enough going forward. Perhaps too many players up top are not physically strong enough.

Eto'o could have been sent off. Booking a minimum.

We had a stone wall penalty turned down.

Oscar should have been sent off.

For the 1st time in a long time im gonna say The Ref was fucking hopeless. - no blame can be laid at the feet of any other official - every bad decision was his.

Chelsea were well up for this.

Mourinho is a dick but he knows that win puts them in the title race and could knock us out of it.

Im fuming.

I did say prematch that City struggled yesterday due to the effort of the match against us and I was fearful that our limited squad would struggle.

Red_IndianLFC

TIA New Signing
Our players looked tired, midfielders particularly. Chelsea were fresher, first to every ball.

That's the advantage of having a big squad for Chelsea i suppose.

Our numbers are dwindling by the day. It was bad enough having to put Smith in who looked totally lost, boy among men, now Sakho and Allen are out.

When is Stevie due to return? Otherwise its Rossiter in the middle against Hull.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Feared that might happen tbh, it wasn't a humiliation but felt Chelsea were only at about 70% capacity at most and we still couldn't cope with the intensity

Our bench for me should be better than what was on show there. Teams have injuries, but we just can't cope at all with them and end up throwing on novices. After nearly three years of new ownership. I just think its not good enough in that regard

Also doesnt look like our efforts to put pressure on officials is going to work out in our favour. Again. We don't have the influence

All they had to do was put a man on Suarez and run at our defence marshaled by a CB out of position on the left, a half arsed glen Johnson on the right, a professional liability in Skrtel at CB and a injury damaged slow coach in Lucas at DM. I don't think they had to work all that hard at it to get a result

Second half was a bit better but they weren't really troubled, lets be honest

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
That's two games in a week we can feel hard done with officials. Fuck alone knows what Webb is thinking as Eto chops down Suarez in the area - as blatant a penalty as you're likely to see.

Chelsea pulled out all the dirty tricks - little cynical fouls to kill any momentum we had and throwing themselves over at the slightest touch. Mourinho is the rich man's Tony Pulis really.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
not happy with result not happy with performance... really it showed why we need a better squad... but still the darkest hour is over... we didnt play with the same intensity...