• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Chelsea 2 Liverpool 1

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Howard Webb wtf was that non-call about. Eto'o nice hip-check, obstruction call in the least. That should have been Eto'o 2nd yellow.

Coutinho such an off day. Been a while since I have seen Reds so disjointed in transition game. Smith looks like fish out of water, doesn't know where to be without ball. Foul on Azpil totally useless.

Argh. Hamstring for Sakho. 2-3 months. Dammit.

Cannot believe Alberto on bench with Aspas on. Wonder what he did to deserve

can we buy Hazard? Quality.

Superior Complex

Lost to City and Chelsea away, what's the problem ? We only have to play United away, then the rest of the top teams are on our territory.

Narrow defeats with not our full squad. I'm happy enough, I'm not happy we don't have a Gerrard replacement.

Salah, an attacking midfielder and a left footed fullback. If that's sorted should make top 4.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Superior Complex said:
Lost to City and Chelsea away, what's the problem ? We only have to play United away, then the rest of the top teams are on our territory.

Narrow defeats with not our full squad. I'm happy enough, I'm not happy we don't have a Gerrard replacement.

Salah, an attacking midfielder and a left footed fullback. If that's sorted should make top 4.
You still in top four face for 4th but it help your chance if you add two or three players in terms of buys in january.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Dirty 2-foot tackle by Oscar should have been red card. How does Webb not see that.

Onwards and upwards right? 1st to 5th in 2 losses now we have to play catchup with 2 more injured startingXI.

Eff me. Gerrard, Sturridge, Enrique, Sakho, Allen all out injured

Superior Complex

We will be, Sterling is turning into a right player, with Salah more added depth and quality, an attacking midfielder desperately and a full back. Once that depth is added we should be fine, fixture wise were okay until Arsenal in February. So hopefully LFC gain some valuable points. Which I'm sure we will.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Dublin_Kopite said:
(...)

11. These last two results won't have a massive impact on our attempt to brake into the top 4.
Fully agree with most of your points, and cheers for that timely dosis of realistic optimism.

Your last point however... we'll see on Wednesday. With all the shit hitting us since a week, I just hope that we can somehow grind out something and limp to a victory before the break, but it won't be easy. Those two games, with the disappointment, the fatigue and the injuries, have taken an immense toll out of this team I feel...

On a sidenote, why doesn't Alberto get more time on the pitch? It's not as if he plays badly when he comes on? Surely he has to play against Hull, now Allen is injured?

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Hope in your heart said:
Fully agree with most of your points, and cheers for that timely dosis of realistic optimism.

Your last point however... we'll see on Wednesday. With all the shit hitting us since a week, I just hope that we can somehow grind out something and limp to a victory before the break, but it won't be easy. Those two games have taken an immense toll out of this team I feel...

On a sidenote, why doesn't Alberto get more time on the pitch? It's not as if he plays badly when he comes on? Surely he has to play against Hull, now Allen is injured?
Big game vs hull and will be hard as they full of confidence after saturday, they made it tough for all top teams to beat them this season and you have a number of injuries and tired legs. you got to hind you grind out a victory before much needed rest for suarez and few others.

rab

Superior Complex said:
Oh why did we buy Ilori and Alberto when none of them get played.
Said this at the time we bought them. That £14m odd could have bought us a proper DM. We didn't need Ilori given we have Kelly and Wisdom as back up or developmental players and why loan out Suso and buy Alberto? We saw that Suso offered the first team something last season, we've yet to see Alberto for more than the odd five minutes so far this.

Couldn't understand why we did this in the summer, still don't understand it now.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
juliannicholas said:
Glen Johnson has always been inconsistent over the years. We really need a more solid reliable RB asap
Time to give Kelly a go starting with Hull for certain in the FA Cup game coming up. I'd also play Gerrard, Alberto, and Aspas vs Hull in place of the midfield trio today.

Superior Complex

rab said:
Said this at the time we bought them. That £14m odd could have bought us a proper DM. We didn't need Ilori given we have Kelly and Wisdom as back up or developmental players and why loan out Suso and buy Alberto? We saw that Suso offered the first team something last season, we've yet to see Alberto for more than the odd five minutes so far this.
Couldn't understand why we did this in the summer, still don't understand it now.
Ilori is also playing well rotting in the reserves.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Superior Complex said:
Oh why did we buy Ilori and Alberto when none of them get played.
I could see the sense with the move for Alberto. Why he doesn't get played more is beyond me to be honest, as he has talent and performs well the few times when he's called upon.

As for Ilori, bringing him in was a brainfart of epic proportions, not because he lacks talent, but because this is the area on the pitch where we are crowded out. Ilori had no chance from the off, and his development has probably been stalled in a criminal way since he came here. That's one who wishes he had never come our way, I'm sure of it. As soon as we knew that Sakho was coming in, we should have blown this move off.

WrongIslander

Superior Complex said:
We will be, Sterling is turning into a right player, with Salah more added depth and quality, an attacking midfielder desperately and a full back. Once that depth is added we should be fine, fixture wise were okay until Arsenal in February. So hopefully LFC gain some valuable points. Which I'm sure we will.
Thank you for showing that not everyone on here is reacting like a crying woman.

If we take it a game at a time our next game is at home to Hull.

We have:

Mignolet

McLaughlin Toure Agger Cissokho

Sterling Lucas Gerrard/Henderson Alberto Coutinho

Suarez

I'm going to say that should be enough to beat Hull at home.

The game after that we've probably got Sturridge back and whoever we decide to sign in the window may also be in by then or the week after.

This is not the disaster it is made out to be. All teams have injuries including Hull themselves who will be without Brady and Aluko.

Yes I would rather have McLaughlin trying his heart out like I know he would than have that waste of fucking oxygen Johnson anywhere near the team. As someone said it's like watching Torres before he left, he just couldn't give a shit and as such he shouldn't get a shirt.

Reactions: RMP

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Johnson in for Mclaughlin and that's a decent side. Suspect we might see Moses instead of Alberto. Sterling is in much better form than when we played them at their ground and they'll have Coutinho behind them so it shouldn't be such an issue having him and Sterling on the wings this time (they were awful last time).

Is Stevie back yet? Reckon he'll be a big player in putting points on the board in this little run of games with so many out. His ability will be absolutely key, we really could have used him today.

soberphobia

Chelsea are unbeaten at home for a long time for a reason. We saw their ability to grind out a game again slow it up compress the play give away a foul here and there waste as much time as possible. It is just the way they play. Horrible but effective. We looked tired and without any sparkle. I am more concerned about Hull than Chelsea to be hones this was always going to be a very tough fixture. Chelsea have had the rub of the green from the refs all season so some dubious calls going their way at home was no surprise.

Johnson is playing like a man who has been told his contractual demands will not be met. It is more than just a bad patch of form. The rest of the team just kind of had an off day and looked like they need a break. The injuries will hurt us as we really are thin for cover but I hope we unearth someone who can step up or we get some of our injured players back. The result is not a terrible one good teams will lose by more than a goal at the bridge this year. The injuries and our ability to front up and put away a side that have already beaten us this season is more of a concern. Not much recovery time to a side that looks like it needs some recovery.

saintslfc13

rab said:
It's clear that Rodgers doesn't rate Kelly as either a FB or CB, Flannagan (who's impressed) and Wisdom (likewise but to a lesser extent) are both younger and chosen over him consistently whenever either are available. From that perspective I can see why he bought Ilori, though in my opinion we should attempt to buy a new starting CB in the summer and move on one, if not both, of Agger and Skrtel (of course there's plenty of time for both of them to change my opinion on that). Alberto on the other hand is a strange case in that Rodgers seemed to trust him earlier this year but lately he hasn't gotten a look in.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
saintslfc13 said:
It's clear that Rodgers doesn't rate Kelly as either a FB or CB, Flannagan (who's impressed) and Wisdom (likewise but to a lesser extent) are both younger and chosen over him consistently whenever either are available. From that perspective I can see why he bought Ilori, though in my opinion we should attempt to buy a new starting CB in the summer and move on one, if not both, of Agger and Skrtel (of course there's plenty of time for both of them to change my opinion on that). Alberto on the other hand is a strange case in that Rodgers seemed to trust him earlier this year but lately he hasn't gotten a look in.
and I really don't understand why Alberto is being benched. When Allen dropped I thought for certain Luis would come in.

Instead, 18yr old kid. Makes no sense.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
saintslfc13 said:
You realise Kelly has been out for most of the last year with a major injur - and before that he was first pick at right back...and playing well. Rodgers has openly said they are still trying to get him back to full fitness.

He is a class player but has had more injuries in the last few years than some have in their entire career - he will have to be managed. He could be another Ledley King - oodles of talent - stuffed by career defining injuries

Colin

TIA First Team
Onwards and upwards, guys.

I am a bit worried about our abliity to beat better teams TBH, but there development is definitely there. Rodgers has made mistakes but overall we continue to move forward in the grand scheme of things. Next few purchases could be key, though, as we've made a few blunders and need to redress areas we've failed to address despite wasting money.

Let's trounce Hull, have a good Jan and buy atleast on very useful player.

saintslfc13

Spitfire said:
You realise Kelly has been out for most of the last year with a major injur - and before that he was first pick at right back...and playing well. Rodgers has openly said they are still trying to get him back to full fitness.

He is a class player but has had more injuries in the last few years than some have in their entire career - he will have to be managed. He could be another Ledley King - oodles of talent - stuffed by career defining injuries
No I've just started supporting the team today...

Kelly played not too long ago, but hasn't been picked since. He's either a perma-crock, not rated, or both. Personally I think he'd make a far better CB than a RB but that's just my opinion and either way it's irrelevant if he can't stay fit isn't it?

@ Semmy - I'm not sure what's happened with Alberto either and even if you didn't want to play him I'm not sure why you'd give one kid a debut out of position rather than another kid his debut in position, only thing I can think of is the age difference but then why even have him on the bench?

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Yeah I really can't get it. Behind by a goal, sub in defender? Whatever its done now.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Semmy said:
and I really don't understand why Alberto is being benched. When Allen dropped I thought for certain Luis would come in.

Instead, 18yr old kid. Makes no sense.
Someone pointed out earlier it might be sending a signal to the owners...Personally I thought BR wanted pace in the side and none of his subs bar him had pace, shame it was such a big game. Hope he gets time at LB against Hull.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
SoueysTash said:
Someone pointed out earlier it might be sending a signal to the owners...Personally I thought BR wanted pace in the side and none of his subs bar him had pace, shame it was such a big game. Hope he gets time at LB against Hull.
He is the manager. Pretty certain a phone call would do. From an owners' perspective that would not make me happy

Canuck33

Banned Users
What the heck was Rodgers thinking today? This guy needs a reality check. When he brought Toure for Sakho with 2 CBs already on the field, I completely lost it. We were trailing 2-1, not leading, anyone informed him of that? We are where we are because of the form Sturridge had at the start and Suarez has now. Else we would be fighting with Sunderland for a spot on the bottom. Get rid of Aspas, really quick. send Moses back. And bring in some players, not crap!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Criticise the Brad Smith sub yes but Toure for Sakho is like for like it was a forced changed because Sakho pulled his hamstring.

I think Smith added pace hence why he went for that, I wouldn't have but he was pressed into that sub as well, of course you don't mention when he subbed Johnson for Aspas?

I think it is you that needs a reality check, that team was fatigued, injuries all over the place it's sadly one of those things.

afrikana

TIA Squad Member
Don't think we can argue on that poor performance, looked like a hangover from the City game, we could have stolen a point from what was otherwise a poor showing in a poorly officiated game.

The fatigue showed, couple that with poor individual performances and it was always going to go be a long day regardless of the opposition. Not surprised by the injuries to Allen and Sakho neither, our lack of depth meant a more or less consistent team to keep up with the top teams; if we play like this against Hull I wouldn't fancy our chances.

We really need to tighten up defensively, I never know which Skrtle is going to turn up on match day, either way its always a mixed bag with him; we are conceding soft goals especially from set pieces, we cant expect to score 3 goals in every game to guarantee a win. Johnsons performances is not really an apt reflection of his quality, but he has been consistently bad, his latest performance was shocking; too much complacency in his game from a lack of competition, the Manager needs to have a word.

The inclusion of Smith exposed our issues with depth in the squad, however, I have to question our transfer dealings considering we have loaned out a number of players, yet players like £7 million Alberto cant get a sniff of first team football over a kid from the Academy?.

With what we have as options for the middle of the park, I think the trio of Henderson, Allen and Lucas is best suited to the Manager's philosophy, especially in respect to mobility, possession and defensively when pressing the ball; Allen will be a big miss, maybe Alberto may get his chance, although I have reservations on his pace.

Not the ideal position I would have had us go in to the transfer window, however, we are only 6 points off the top and still in contention for a top four finish. Add some quality to the starting 11 in January, couple that with a fit squad and we could have a strong finish to the season.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
Outplayed

Their midfield, especially Luiz, did really well in breaking up any play we had. Their pressing was immense and for long spells we didn't even have the ball and when we did there was no flow to our play. Props to them for managing such a high intensity considering the many games.

We need to invest and invest A LOT. Chelsea have a player of Mata's calibre on their bench who can't even get a game. We have Aspas and a fresh, inexperienced 19yo making his debut against Chelsea away, while losing 1-2...

Aspas is simply not good enough. I can't even remember him playing a successful pass this entire season, let alone creating and scoring goals.

I really hate seeing early 1-0 leads turn into 1-2 losses...

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Canuck33 said:
What the heck was Rodgers thinking today? This guy needs a reality check. When he brought Toure for Sakho with 2 CBs already on the field, I completely lost it. We were trailing 2-1, not leading, anyone informed him of that? We are where we are because of the form Sturridge had at the start and Suarez has now. Else we would be fighting with Sunderland for a spot on the bottom. Get rid of Aspas, really quick. send Moses back. And bring in some players, not crap!
As I said before he had one of the worst benches we have had here in years, comparable to that seen under the hodge. Just wonder after nearly 3 seasons of new ownership why it's still so poor

Have been mistakes madewith recruitment as well, far too many really. The last sentence 'bring in some players,not crap' is also a telling thing for me. Still not sure we have quite got the hang of the transfer market. You look at people like Aspas and you wonder what was going on a bit when we study a player for PL suitability. We looked at his record for Celta and thought 'ah, that's our Michu'. But didnt anyone notice that Michu is a proper unit? Aspas, well...he isn't really is he. He looks about 12. And he's 26. What happened there?

Losing away at these venues is not a disgrace but allowing ourselves to be bullied isn't so good. And the problem is what momentum we have looked like with the injuries and the defeated body language of some of our players it is starting to go in the wrong direction

Nothing that a couple of wins won't sort but we are looking dangerously underequipped now.also not sure we like this competing for 4th stuff. Going back to the last season under Rafa the attitude can be if we can't compete or win for the league then we generally can't be arsed grinding it out for a CL spot. Rodgers has got his work cut out to make sure that insidious mentality doesn't creep in again

Canuck33

Banned Users
mattyhurst said:
Criticise the Brad Smith sub yes but Toure for Sakho is like for like it was a forced changed because Sakho pulled his hamstring.
I think Smith added pace hence why he went for that, I wouldn't have but he was pressed into that sub as well, of course you don't mention when he subbed Johnson for Aspas?
I think it is you that needs a reality check, that team was fatigued, injuries all over the place it's sadly one of those things.
Listen, pal, we had two CBs already on the pitch when Sakho went off. There was no need to make a like for like and bring in a third one, again. Just stupid.