• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Chelsea 2 Liverpool 1

Arminius

FSG PR plant
OLD_SEA_DOG_Gerry said:
Am I missing something? I understood the 'Obstruction' rule which resulted in an indirect free kick went years ago. I'll have to check up, but unfairly impeding progress (however it's worded) results in a direct free kick, and if it's in the box then it's a penalty. I'll check up now. Hope I'm not wrong.
See the 2012 FIFA Laws of the Game, p.37, Law 12. 'Impeding progress' is still in there. Pushing, tripping, jumping at all would be a direct free kick. The 'obstruction' term was removed, because it was confusing - some obstruction such as shielding when in possession or close to the ball is perfectly legal.

Generally speaking, the commentators offering their views on various rulings are spectacularly ignorant of what the rules actually say.

OLD_SEA_DOG_Gerry

TIA Youth Team
I've just read the FA rules. I wish I hadn't commented. Impeding progress is an indirect free kick. Wish I'd kept quiet.

grooveshark

Banned Users
LFC-Orlando said:
And Maria, I posted in the Brendan thread, that considering Eto'o's lack of integrity as a player, if I were Sakho I'd not even use that shirt to dust around my dog's house.
Emotions get the better of people after a lost game. RvP, Suarez, Terry, Rooney arent saints either.

soberphobia

cardiffpete said:
A few random musings:

In some slight mitigation, Allen (next point) never offered him a proper passing outlet (not even once), whenever we had the ball. Guess Gerrard can't come back fast-enough, after all (for me).

4) Allen.
Quite possibly his worst game for LFC (for me), certainly this season. Only the 18 completed passes (of 24) ...and just 3 were forward passes. Never provided a passing option to Johnson at all (and at any point) - by just always getting ahead of him or else not showing for a pass. Delayed his pass to Coutinho too much on (about) 12 minutes, to make Coutinho off-side on a really very promising move. One nice shot and one combo with Suarez was about it. Dispossessed almost criminally often as well ...and he turned the ball over all day. Criticise Gerrard all you want, but he really *knows* how to build attacks and how to just stay that bit behind (and thus offer support) to his RB. On RB/RW attacks, the left-most of the 1-2 should be looking to get in the box (and get ahead of the play) ...not the right-most. It's very careless play (at best). Slight mitigation, with carrying an injury ..and I'm not especially knocking him for enthousiasm shown.
Interesting about Allen who looked terrific when he first returned. We now find out he had an injection to mask the pain from an injury was it a quad or an abductor? I can't remember,anyway this was before the game and the longer the game went the worse the pain got. It is sometimes hard to judge players after a game because we just don't know who is carrying what. The idea that players are getting injections before a game to give them the ability to play doesn't sit comfortably with me.

I know it is commonplace but it still makes me cringe a bit that someone has to get a painkilling shot to get them on the pitch in a semi fit condition. We can only judge what we see and he didn't have the best of games. Perhaps knowing what we know now it isn't hard to understand why. I am not an Allen fanboy or making excuses for him but i think that the manager knows who is carrying injuries and perhaps that's why we see some lenience given to certain players on occasion that doesn't make sense to us as fans.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
What I fail to understand is risking injury on an already thin squad when you have a healthy player on the bench.

now we have lost him for ??? games and an even thinner bench, when we REALLY need the points.

To me its a gamble not worth taking. Really hope we show up for Hull and not drop points with a weakened midfield

Jaytinho

Just thinking of Glen, he is not a player you get rid of, but he does need rest to really sit down and think about the last 4 games or so, he was out of it....Apparently Ilori is a jet, beating Ronaldos sprint record at Lisbon...give him a run at RB!

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Jaytinho said:
Just thinking of Glen, he is not a player you get rid of, but he does need rest to really sit down and think about the last 4 games or so, he was out of it....Apparently Ilori is a jet, beating Ronaldos sprint record at Lisbon...give him a run at RB!
been asking for that for months. Seems doubtful at best with Smith getting chosen over him.

Personally would like to see Ilori at DM...but that is a fart's chance in the wind

Jaytinho said:
Apparently Ilori is a jet, beating Ronaldos sprint record at Lisbon...give him a run at RB!
I've seen him play a few times for the U21s, he certainly has the pace to play at full back but when he was played at left back early in the season whilst the likes of Brad Smith were unavailable it was easily the least impressive performance I've seen from him.

If he's been working on improving his positioning and crossing in training he might be worth a try in the FA Cup game.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
The main thing I was thinking after the game was, how on earth did Rodgers come to the conclusion that introducing a youngster in a top flight game with over 30 min to go, was remotely a good Idea????

He pretty much tossed away any chance of getting back into the game with that sub.
What a slap in the face it must have been to a full established player like Aspas. Even Alberto must have felt a bit weird about that sub.

Poor decision from Brendan.

edit: oh and btw. Webb, yet another terrible performance form that guy, and he's looked at as one of the best refs in the game. Biggest Con-man the game ever seen innit.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
So ,from all accounts, it required both barrels from Mr Riley's Webb&Mason to knock us off our Christmas perch.
Just gonna have to score more goals , people.
Happy New Year each and all , even the afore mentioned Three Wreckuteers.

rab

Semmy said:
been asking for that for months. Seems doubtful at best with Smith getting chosen over him.

Personally would like to see Ilori at DM...but that is a fart's chance in the wind
It's hard enough for an experienced senior player like Agger, Sakho or Toure to switch from playing centre back to full back. We've seen how that's worked already this season and it hasn't been pretty. Just because Ilori is quick doesn't mean he'll adapt to playing that role any better.

Perhaps if we need a DM so badly (which it's obvious we do) then we should have bought one instead of a fifth/sixth/seventh/eighth choice centre back (delete as appropriate based on where you see him in the pecking order with Coates, Wisdom and Kelly).

Semmy

Ad-free Member
rab said:
It's hard enough for an experienced senior player like Agger, Sakho or Toure to switch from playing centre back to full back. We've seen how that's worked already this season and it hasn't been pretty. Just because Ilori is quick doesn't mean he'll adapt to playing that role any better.

Perhaps if we need a DM so badly (which it's obvious we do) then we should have bought one instead of a fifth/sixth/seventh/eighth choice centre back (delete as appropriate based on where you see him in the pecking order with Coates, Wisdom and Kelly).
cannot change what is already written, can only influence future decisions.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Sounds like he's bitter and twisted because he has to peddle his shite on the late show on talk sport rather than the TV like the big boys do. Boo Hoo Cundy

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
lightdrizzle said:
Not sure where best to post this but x-Chelsea player Jason Cundy has called Liverpool fans live on Chelseas Tv, as.....

'The most bitter, twisted, bitchy, spiteful fans I've ever come across"

Full story and video below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2532656/The-bitter-twisted-b-tchy-spiteful-fans-Ive-come-Watch-pundit-Cundys-rant-against-Liverpool-fans.html#comments
Even if he was right who cares? He is about as important to me as I am to Obama.