• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Chelsea v Liverpool (EPL 22/9/19 4.30pm)

Match of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold [GOAL 14’]

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 90 56.3%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • Henderson [off 83’]

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Salah [90+2’]

• Firmino [GOAL 30’]

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Mane [off 71’]

• Milner [on 71’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana [on 83’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Gomez [on 90+2]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glory2Anfield

I always feel Klopp brings on subs far to late. Probably Gomez should have come on at the 70 minute mark.

Clearly LFC we’re loosing the midfield game for nearly all the second half; Chelsea’s pressing was causing LFC to loose many balls, an extra man on the back line would have been helpful, to regain control of the game. This would have allowed 2 attackers to stay near the center line, whenever Chelsea was going all out for a goal. Maybe LFC could have got a breakaway 3rd goal.

Clearly the Chelsea goal, came from LFC players looking exhausted of energy. LFC needed
An injection of energy , some fresh legs.

LFC was struggling in the last 30 minutes and was under great pressure, Klopp answer was to bring on Lallana , this was far from reassuring; in many ways this shows the need for LFC to sign a world class attacking midfield player.

The midfield has improved tremendously over last season, but it still seems to lack punch.

Interestingly, Chelsea also played European football last mid week and also lost in a tight game, so you would think , Chelsea would have been exhausted.

When you think about it, Chelsea missed many good chances. In the second half LFC had very few chances and very few shots on goal. LFC need to take a few more long shots from outside the box to cause some chaos try and get a rebound goal. In many ways, Chelsea defence had it far to easy, LFC needs to create some madness in the box, get Chelsea to loose its head , under pressure.

I guess this is one of toughest league games, we played all season. Obviously, it was never going to be an easy one. From what I recall, I believe Chelsea played better today, then in the Super Cup.

Probably when we look at the end of the season, if we have won the league, we will probably say it is because of this great win today.

In conclusion, when the back line, pass to midfield, the midfielders have to deliver more punch, to the front 3 attackers, I suspect this is what is required to win the league and more trophies

Last edited:

Red over the water

If Chelsea keep playing like that they will finish top four. They gave a very good account of themselves.

On our end, how sweet it is to win three hard earned points! Credit to the lot of them. Tough place to go, Fulham (!) If we had scored a third at the start of the second half it would have been game over, but Chelsea came back at us.

Great strike Trent. Nice header Bobby. Adrian pulled off some good saves. Matip and VVD were imperious, the former playing brilliantly.

We put a lot of work into that, and we had to. Might need to shuffle the pack a bit and rotate one or two. Perhaps the league cup game will see someone stake a claim to get into the reckoning for the league game.

The league table looks lovely. Well done you red men!

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Considering Chelsea are a top 6 club and our poor record at Stamord Bridge I suppose this was a decent result. A bit surprised that they looked fitter than us late on though. Hoping we can shuffle the pack a bit for the next two games and have everyone fit and firing on all cyliners for a tricky looking October.

Plamen

The last 20 minutes I was on the edge but I am so glad we got the win.It wasnt the best performance but what mattered was the 3 points and we got them. Also 15 consecutive wins which is insane. We could actually break City record of 18 consecutive wins.

jaffod

Considering Chelsea are a top 6 club and our poor record at Stamord Bridge I suppose this was a decent result. A bit surprised that they looked fitter than us late on though. Hoping we can shuffle the pack a bit for the next two games and have everyone fit and firing on all cyliners for a tricky looking October.
I don't think they looked fitter. I thought we were quite simply lazy and arrogant from around 55 minutes and when we are in that mindset it's difficult to snap out of it and push on again. I've seen it a lot over the years. We get a comfortable lead and lose intensity, become wasteful in front of goal and give up possession way, way too easily. We're on the back foot and the only surprise for me today was that the rent-boys didn't equalise. Credit to Adrian and the defence for that, they ultimately won us the game.
Reminded me a lot of the Leicester game last season, played some great stuff 1st half, got a 2 goal lead and then couldn't string 2 passes together in the 2nd half.

Dave-D

First half was good, second not so good but 3pts is 3pts and that’s what matters.

Think the travelling for CL may have taken its toll on legs which allowed Chelsea back into the game in the second half but the lads held on and showed grit and determination.

Matip was my MoTM he was great all game, Firmino took his goal well and was unlucky not to get a second and special shout-out to Adrian how had a really good game and made a very good stop from Abraham.

On a side note I expect Chelsea will make top four as Lampard is putting a good team together and the other three usual suspects are dropping to many points.

jaschwilli

Few words on Adrian.
Now after a run of games for him, you could easily say him being brought in was a very good piece of business. signed for free, getting 6.5 million for Mignolet and we have an upgrade in the goal.
I think as a shot stopper he is as good as anybody, his distribution has not got the class of Allison but then whose distribution would be? And it improved over the last couple of games significantly.
There have been a rare few brainfarts, but not that many.
Then, he seems to breethe an aura of control you just don*t think he is just a step away from an error that would cost us.
Up to now, he has hardly been tested in a one on one counter situation, so you just cannot judge his decision making there ( vs Abraham today was excellent) - but all in all, a very decent substitute for Allison and he seems to be a fine chap as well. Good deal!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The first tie-breaker in the league this season is NOT goal difference any more, but rather, it is head-to-head record.
tter them in head-to-head).
No it isn’t. If level on points teams will still be separated on goal difference. Head to head only come in if two teams can’t be separated any other way.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
MOTM poll adds up to 177% or something equally nonsensical. What's wrong with just one motm? It's not the best three men of the match is it?
You get three votes. You don’t have to use them all. The overall scores are who the forum collectively thinks is the MOTM.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Few words on Adrian.
Now after a run of games for him, you could easily say him being brought in was a very good piece of business. signed for free, getting 6.5 million for Mignolet and we have an upgrade in the goal.
I think as a shot stopper he is as good as anybody, his distribution has not got the class of Allison but then whose distribution would be? And it improved over the last couple of games significantly.
There have been a rare few brainfarts, but not that many.
Then, he seems to breethe an aura of control you just don*t think he is just a step away from an error that would cost us.
Up to now, he has hardly been tested in a one on one counter situation, so you just cannot judge his decision making there ( vs Abraham today was excellent) - but all in all, a very decent substitute for Allison and he seems to be a fine chap as well. Good deal!
I agree with this. Thought he looked solid today. Could not do anything about the goal. Just getting better. Still though, like to see Alisson come back sooner than later.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
A flawed victory but a VICTORY nonetheless. Three points against a plastic club is always sweet, but against a downright nasty, racist, cockney plastic club is especially wholesome. A great kick-back from midweek CL disappointment to boot. All in all a good day's work I think.

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Interestingly, Chelsea also played European football last mid week and also lost in a tight game, so you would think , Chelsea would have been exhausted.

When you think about it, Chelsea missed many good chances. In the second half LFC had very few chances and very few shots on goal. LFC need to take a few more long shots from outside the box to cause some chaos try and get a rebound goal. In many ways, Chelsea defence had it far to easy, LFC needs to create some madness in the box, get Chelsea to loose its head , under pressure.

I guess this is one of toughest league games, we played all season. Obviously, it was never going to be an easy one. From what I recall, I believe Chelsea played better today, then in the Super Cup.
I think the fact that we had to travel to Italy (while Chelsea played at home),on paper we had a harder tie playing Napoli,we then had to travel back to Liverpool,then travel down to stay in a hotel in London,kinda took its toll as the game wore on,then also them having the home crowd advantage pushing them on towards the end,evened the game out a little but we still beat the cunts and bagged 3 points.Time to rest the big boys for a week and give the fringe and youth players a go in the week i think.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Really? They had three or four chances, and we’re only denied by fine margins. We were very lucky to see out that second half.
Agree, they had the Mount chance, the Batshuayi header to name two, additionally there was the Abrahams flick and im sure a couple more which I cant recall.
It was definitely a mixture of luck and doggedness.
I cant really put my finger on how they gained the upper hand, in my opinion it was because we let Jorginho pull the strings, we also got doubled up on TAA a couple of times. offensively, we were like England V Tonga (RU) lots of mis-placed passes in the final 3rd.
However, as fortunate as we were we got the 3 points!

By the way I voted Adrian. I know he had made a couple of mistakes but to think he was without a club is ridiculous. He has made some really good saves and deserves the credit for that.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Gave MOTM to Fab - immense performance
First goal by TAA was an astounding act of brilliance
I thought we were going to cruise in the 2nd half - clairvoyance is not my game
skin of the teeth - hats off to Adrian both center backs
Don't tell my wife or kids - but I love JK as much (OK more) than them, but ... I. Do. Not. Understand. His. Subs. At. All.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
The first half was played with such intensity from both sides coming off from difficult European championship matches. Elated we came out on top scoring two but Chelsea could have easily equalized with Abraham shot stopped by Adrian when thru 1 on 1 and a VAR disallowed goal.

Second half our front three look jaded and it did not help that Mane was injured (knee/dead leg) in the first half, although he was able to carry on. Harsh decision by Ref to award yellow card for time wasting from a throw in by Trent. If there was time wasted, just add it towards extra time at the end of the match.

We kept giving them the ball and the goal from Kante was coming, although we did had a few decent chances prior. Once the changes were made, with Milner and Lallana coming on, we never looked like a threat to score again barring the odd break.

In the end, a win at Chelsea's Stamfford Bridge is an improvement from last season when we drew here. Winning streak still intact. Onward we go.