• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Chelsea v Liverpool (EPL 22/9/19 4.30pm)

Match of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold [GOAL 14’]

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 90 56.3%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • Henderson [off 83’]

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Salah [90+2’]

• Firmino [GOAL 30’]

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Mane [off 71’]

• Milner [on 71’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana [on 83’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Gomez [on 90+2]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I liked the way Adrian is spreading his whole body at those saves he made. Even though some were from offside positions, they were class saves.
Completely agree. When i was younger I played CB/FB at a semi amateur level until i tore both knees - my brother was professional but suffered the same fate.
Since then I have played in goal, albeit at 5/7 aside. In this format its more about making saves/reaction than positional play, claiming crosses etc. So my opinion is purely based on my experience of the GK role.

Generally Adrian has really impressed me on his keeper aspects, re: his saves, claiming crosses, commanding of his area. IMO he should have gone with the other hand regarding the Newcastle goal but generally he seems sound.

Im not saying Mings would not have saved the Abraham shot, etc, but I definitely believe Adrian is an upgrade on Mings and is more grateful of his current position. N.b. This is not a slant on Mings who from all accounts was the upmost professional.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Joel’s was in anguish in the former case. My son and I both said in unison, “We’re in trouble.”
My main concern as a team is about how exposed we look defensively. I appreciate it takes time to reach the same level as last season but it seems we are always pulled across by one.
What I mean is that the FB covers the CB player leaving us exposed (when the ball comes in from outwide). For example against Newcastle when their FB fired over the bar. Our 2 CB’s got pulled over, AR followed the attackers run across the 6yrd box which wasnt his role.
Anyhow 6 wins out of 6 games is all that matters.

Alright Now

My main concern as a team is about how exposed we look defensively. I appreciate it takes time to reach the same level as last season but it seems we are always pulled across by one.
What I mean is that the FB covers the CB player leaving us exposed (when the ball comes in from outwide). For example against Newcastle when their FB fired over the bar. Our 2 CB’s got pulled over, AR followed the attackers run across the 6yrd box which wasnt his role.
6 out of 6 and tied for fewest goals conceded. Without Alisson. The high line we are playing inherently carries more risk, but even today, when it clicked, it worked brilliantly and frustrated Chelsea. My guess is we'll take a little bit to iron out the kinks in the new system, but it's early still.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
6 out of 6 and tied for fewest goals conceded. Without Alisson. The high line we are playing inherently carries more risk, but even today, when it clicked, it worked brilliantly and frustrated Chelsea. My guess is we'll take a little bit to iron out the kinks in the new system, but it's early still.
From the stats I have seen, we are down on our presses/sprints compared to other seasons. I personally believe, the higher line we play is to accommodate this. Rather than press with individuals its like we are moving the whole unit forward and this is down to managing energy/fatigue.

I agree we are still churning out good results and its early in the season but I am a bit concerned regarding our defensive shape.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
The juggernaut rolls on,not without a bump along the way,the second half here.
Breathing fairly easily at half time but WTF happened at the break?
Fortunately we hung on for 6 from 6,over the moon with that!
Matip ,MOTM for me,can't see me doing 3 even though it is hard in many matches,Adrian was great in this one as well.
Dunno why Lallana got a run there,maybe against MK Dons,but it was Klopps call.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
The last thirty minutes were pretty uncomfortable, but that apart I felt that we controlled most of the first 60. If we'd got a third in the first 15 of the second half, as we should have given our pressure, then it would've been all over.

But then we started to tire and that's a bit of a worry. I know we had a midweek game but that was Tuesday and this is Sunday, so I don't know why some players seemed to be so lacking in energy in the last 30. Thankfully, Matip wasn't. He should get an extra win bonus for that performance.

jim bouki

Keppa's saving Bobby's shot in the second was massive. Kept them in it. Two good goal keeping performances in that game.
also kepa saving the deflected cross off the goal line that was incorrectly ruled offside against TAA. If the ball had crossed the line surely VAR would have ruled against the incorrect offside decision and the goal would of stood?!

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Agree, they had the Mount chance, the Batshuayi header to name two, additionally there was the Abrahams flick and im sure a couple more which I cant recall.
It was definitely a mixture of luck and doggedness.
I cant really put my finger on how they gained the upper hand, in my opinion it was because we let Jorginho pull the strings, we also got doubled up on TAA a couple of times. offensively, we were like England V Tonga (RU) lots of mis-placed passes in the final 3rd.
However, as fortunate as we were we got the 3 points!

By the way I voted Adrian. I know he had made a couple of mistakes but to think he was without a club is ridiculous. He has made some really good saves and deserves the credit for that.
We lost the upper hand because we stopped pressing high and dropped deeper which seemed like instructions given at half time, otherwise, Jurgen would have said something in the post-match.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
If we come up against teams with full-backs that have the ability of Trent & Robbo to deliver the ball from out wide I feel we will come unstuck as we are giving up way too much space & time out wide to fullbacks/wide players.

NB Thankfully not many players with Trent's & Robbo's quality :)

BigJon

A difficult game resulting in all 3 points. Thought a few players looked leggy in the 2nd half. Against MK would think most of the team would be rested.
Lovren Shaqiri Ox Brewster Lallana can all get a game mid - week.

The ref bowed to Chelsea player pressure second half - TAA booking was ridiculous.

4 away games in a row is a tough ask for any team.

GaryC

We are a prized scalp for Frank. That's why he saves his best team for us. Mason Mount and Kante rushed back from injury to face us says it all.
Unfortunately for him, we are a different animal this year - incredibly tough to beat.
Not sure why Jurgen would put in Lallana. Thought he would be introduced at MK Dons. Here's hoping our 1st team all get a break this Wednesday. They certainly deserve it.
Btw Pep must be pissed.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
definitely squeaky bum time, could not understand how Alonso kept getting the ball out wide everytime. it started towards the end of the first half and I wrongly presumed that it wouldn't carry on in the second half. Salah was frustrating at the best of times, probably trying too hard. we really need to get a couple of talented backups to compliment our team.
happy to get the win, and still be on top. Long may it continue

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
The juggernaut rolls on,not without a bump along the way,the second half here.
Breathing fairly easily at half time but WTF happened at the break?
Fortunately we hung on for 6 from 6,over the moon with that!
Matip ,MOTM for me,can't see me doing 3 even though it is hard in many matches,Adrian was great in this one as well.
Dunno why Lallana got a run there,maybe against MK Dons,but it was Klopps call.
Massive progress if u ask me,
After a tough European night, we win at chelsea which is again a tough fixture.
Over the years,we have dropped points in such fixtures.
Yes, a bit nervy at the end, and understandable that the team were down in energy from their midweek game and travel.
The beauty of the game was we won in set pieces, something we dont do often.
We could have put the game to bed early in the 2nd half.
Not worried about the fact that we brought in lallana, he can hold up the ball well and does very well in tight spaces.
I felt we should have got Gomez a bit early, TAA was struggling in the end.
Overall, we played like champions and got the job done.
Up the Reds!!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
6 games, 18 points. Same as last season. We have stagnated, no improvements whatsoever. Klopp and FSG out
Is it? I though our GD is better? I remember last year we had many tight games !

Sweeting

From the stats I have seen, we are down on our presses/sprints compared to other seasons. I personally believe, the higher line we play is to accommodate this. Rather than press with individuals its like we are moving the whole unit forward and this is down to managing energy/fatigue.

I agree we are still churning out good results and its early in the season but I am a bit concerned regarding our defensive shape.
I'm worried about the defence as well - which is kind of weird since we have the lowest "goals against" in the league so far.

melbournered

I was a bit envious watching Kante play. THAT was what i expected Keita to be playing like by this time. Oh well.

I'm not going to have much more of a satisfying win as this one this season. They were up for this game and it was good seeing them walk of the ground with their tails between their legs.

Them getting into Oliver's face calling for a card for time wasting was making my blood boil as well.

Fuck Chelsea, fuck their fans.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
also kepa saving the deflected cross off the goal line that was incorrectly ruled offside against TAA. If the ball had crossed the line surely VAR would have ruled against the incorrect offside decision and the goal would of stood?!
I don’t think it would have gone to VAR, as on that occasion, and that occasion only, the linesman put his fucking flag up.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Now that I've slept on it. Yesterday's win seems a lot better to me. After a tough midweek away game in Naples and a (probably) disjointed rest/training schedule prior to this game. To come away with the three points, no matter the display, is really pleasing. A lot of posters have alluded to our tiredness and Chavski's energy towards the end of the game. I reckon that it's par for the course in the circumstances. The home side get a goal to make it 2-1. The crowd start to think that they may get something from the game. The noise levels go up. The home side respond which in turn gees the crowd up more and so on. Especially as we would have been a big scalp for them. Unbeaten and top of the league. They also wanted revenge for the Super Cup defeat. The chavs also had a few youngsters playing who were full of running which caused us a few problems late on. FFS I've got socks older than some of those Chavski players.

To summarise Top of the league with maximum points. Well done Redmen.

COYR YNWA