• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (FAC 3/3/20 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Lallana [off 80’]

• Jones [off 69’]

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Mane

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Minamino

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Origi [off 69’]

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Firmino [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner [on 69’]

• Salah [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Liverpool: Adrian, Williams, Van Dijk, Gomez, Robertson, Fabinho, Lallana, Jones, Minamino, Mane, Origi.

Subs: Lonergan, Milner, Firmino, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Matip, Chirivella.

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter
We gave Chelsea shot in the arm for their season
So they'll grab the Champions League spot ahead of man utd
and Chris Kavanagh will cry during the summer in his man utd jammies
Wanker

Not the only reason for losing but surely didn't help

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Well, that was wank.

Who’d be a goalkeeper, eh? Brilliant save from Adrián one minute; absolute howler the next. Excellent save to prevent 3-0 when Pedro broke clear and again with the fingertip save from Giroud.

Mané should have done better when teed up by Origi early doors and should have had a penalty when his shirt was clearly pulled a couple of minutes later.

For all of our possession, we didn’t create many clear openings and even our flurry of three shots in five seconds was actually pretty poor- all of them were straight at Arrizabalaga.

Chelsea kept trying to exploit the space behind Williams but the youngster recovered well after a shaky start.

The return of the Gomez- VVD partnership was a sight for sore eyes and both played well. Robbo seems a bit below his best for me- I don’t know if he’s simply jaded or mentally not focused but he hasn’t been at his best for some time now.

I thought it a bit harsh on Chirivella that he was overlooked today and Fabinho’s lacklustre performance didn’t really justify the manager’s decision. Fabinho has been poor since returning from injury and I’d like to see Chirivella given another opportunity in that deep midfield role.

Chris Kavanagh allowed the home side to get away with pretty much what they wanted- as well as the aforementioned tug at Mané, we should have had a penalty when Minamino was assaulted in the penalty area. The constant stream of nightly fouls and subtle shirt pulls should have been stemmed at source; once Chelsea saw that they could continue with impunity, their tactical fouling just got worse.

Still, hats off to Barkley for a cracking second Chelsea goal... although it could be argued that Gomez could have gambled and closed him down before he got his shot away.

Minamino had a decent game; Mané was only fed scraps; Origi continues to frustrate. Jones could never get a foothold in the game and by the time Bobby and Mo entered the fray it was as already too late.

We need to improve drastically against Bournemouth on Saturday to get back on track before the crucial Champions League tie against Atlético Madrid next week. Lose the latter and our season will risk fizzling out into a damp squib... if one in which lifting the league title for the first time in three decades can be described as such.

MOTM: Dave, proprietor of my local chippy. Makes the best plaice and chips this side of... anywhere!

Incognito

The Normal One
Finally out of the cup which we have been trying for ages now. Seniors executing the script which the young reds never got memo on. :cry::censored:

Would have loved to gone out giving a fight at the very least, but not to be. Having the aura of invincibility was nice, let's get it back starting this weekend.

Sweeting

In a bad spell at the moment and unfortunately we are being punished for it everytime.

No need to panic too much, our form will return as this happens to every team every season, but I want to see a slight system change next time out. Go with two central strikers (Firmino and Salah) and play a 442. I think teams know how we attack and have taken some basic steps to stop it, mixing up the shape will confuse their defence a little bit.

Incognito

The Normal One
Oh and the common thread in the three defeats has not been Keita or Lovren. About time the team is equally questioned especially in their drive and passion first and foremost. Fcking Pedro was showing more grit than most of our players tonight.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
About the best you can say is that it was better than Watford.

The record of the game says 2-0, but we lost the first goal to a goalkeeping error and then the second chasing the game up the pitch. So I think we’re unlucky as well as shite.

And the refereeing was absolutely shithouse. Didn’t do anything completely mental, but he just quietly set out his stall by allowing them to kick the shit out of Liverpool, and stopping us for challenges that were barely fouls.

jabu

TIA New Signing
this is getting worrying, no real chances against madrid, or watford and last shot on target in minute 31 of the first half. chelsea was not even playing defensive and parking the bus. we jus didnt create anything

Dutch

Ad-free Member
A few things and let begin with the positive.

Minamino, great overall performance, well that was positive.

I see a disturbing trend, lost the last 3 out of 4 without scoring a goal. Saturday will be massive, an absolute must win to change this around.

Williams and Jones are not ready for opponents like this, perhaps next year.

Lallana, Firmino I expect more from experienced players like you two.

Last but not least, I really, really hope I have seen Adian for the last time in a Liverpool shirt, simply not good enough.

liver1

Not that arsed about the FA Cup to be fair. We could have played the kids tonight and lost and id not really be bothered.

However we are struggling for goals and fluidity right now. It looked ok in the first half but just that half a yard off from clicking.

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
In a bad spell at the moment and unfortunately we are being punished for it everytime.

No need to panic too much, our form will return as this happens to every team every season, but I want to see a slight system change next time out. Go with two central strikers (Firmino and Salah) and play a 442. I think teams know how we attack and have taken some basic steps to stop it, mixing up the shape will confuse their defence a little bit.
Noice.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I hate losing.
Don't give me that Carabo Cup, FA cup , tea cup or Derbyshire middle school cup, I hate when we lose.

We were outplayed , again. Plain and simple.
Now the rest of my week is fucked.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Another shit performance by the ref. How was that a yellow for Fab, he got the ball for whatsits sack.

As for Origi...

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
I hate losing.
Don't give me that Carabo Cup, FA cup , tea cup or Derbyshire middle school cup, I hate when we lose.

We were outplayed , again. Plain and simple.
Now the rest of my week is fucked.
Also noice.

(I feel exactly the same, so you know what I mean)