• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (FAC 3/3/20 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Lallana [off 80’]

• Jones [off 69’]

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Mane

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Minamino

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Origi [off 69’]

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Firmino [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner [on 69’]

• Salah [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noo Noo

I agree he lacks many things but skill, 1st touch and clinicalness are not part of that list. Determination, agressiveness, will ... etc but his skill levels are near second to none.
I do think there's a confidence issue for sure but I dont think his first touch etc. are mind blowing either. Even last night I saw him cut inside, outside was the better option but would have needed his left peg, and basically over ran the ball down a blind alley.

I dont know what the fix is for him to be honest. He is better than what we've seen of late but he is being carried.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
[

Good assessment. Saying we have a lot of ‘bang average’ players is a complete overreaction to where we are.

Bang average players don’t get you 22 points clear in the premier league.

We’ve a couple that should and will move on, like Lovren and Lallana. I wouldn’t shed any tears for Origi. But otherwise it’s a fantastic squad, just one that is going through a slump at the minute.

But hey, that’s why you build 22 point leads in the first place.

Klopp knows what he’s doing. We had this last year. You sacrifice a bit of rhythm in the new year to be bang on it at the end of the season.
Can you imagine the shit storm if we only win the league by 6 points? How very dare we......

Noo Noo

Can you imagine the shit storm if we only win the league by 6 points? How very dare we......
The key for me is when, rather than by how much to be honest. If we sort it out quickly then I'm not bothered what happens after provided we go full ham on the Champions League. If we win it late then I will not be happy

ptt

2020, head of the table.
The key for me is when, rather than by how much to be honest. If we sort it out quickly then I'm not bothered what happens after provided we go full ham on the Champions League. If we win it late then I will not be happy
Throw that post back 9 months, preferably through a wormhole. You’d be convinced you’d gone stark staring mad.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I cant get my head around our current form to be honest.

We seem unable to create chances and at the same time we've become incredibly open and loose at the back. I know we were chasing the game last night but being that open was still very uncharacteristic.

Not sure what the answer is here to be honest. It looks like we need some kind of reset. I don't think its opposition teams "figuring" us out, more of us not doing the right things somewhere along the line
The recurring theme for me is lack of intensity particularly in the midfield. We are well past the point of scapegoating individuals for defeats be it Lovren or Adrian or Origi etc. When we play without intensity we become easy to play through because we have such a high defensive line. As soon there is no pressure on the ball when we're out of possession, decent teams can get their head up and get runners free with big switch passing to the flanks, which are unoccupied, or just run into the gaps like Barkley did last night. It doesn't help that we are giving the ball away so cheaply and so often.

Attack-wise first half last night we were OK but Chelsea were on the front foot and gave us room. In the second half it was a carbon copy of the Watford game. They held a good shape and we were weren't able to get in behind. There again the lack of intensity to win second balls or counter-press effectively is a major part of our attacking plan gone. The last truly complete performance I saw from us was against West Ham away just before the winter break. There was a moment in that game that typified how we play when we're on it. Mark Noble got the ball on the edge of his own area and was immediately swamped by 4 Liverpool players. I haven't seen anything like that since.

I don't think it's just about Henderson because he has played in some of those sub-par performances although we definitely lack leadership when he's not playing. We're not very vocal particularly in the midfield without him or Milner. It's officially a slump, the sort we've seen before and that we've got out of. Several players not playing well simultaneously. A bit jaded mentally perhaps after 2 years of continuous brilliance. A good performance against Bournemouth now is vital, especially with Atletico coming up. The league will still be won but we need to get that cloak of invincibility back as soon as we can.

Flobs

FADA
Ang on, ang on. It’s a loss but a different one.

Against Watford we were bullied. Physically intimidated, out run, out thought and out worked. Lovren was at the centre of that storm, with the stupid way he got absolutely played by Deeney.

Last night we were poor, but not as poor as Watford. The first goal is a careless mistake from Fab, and an error from Adrian. The second, and the other chances, were a result of chasing the equaliser and getting hit on the break.

Us getting beat without him in the side in no fucking way absolves Dejan of responsibility for the Watford shit show.
Chelsea's 1st was all down to Gomez and the second had a lot to do with what Gomez didn't do. In fact a lot of Gomez' decissions were poor especially his passing and his execution of that. Noway should he have tempted fate with that most stupid of passes he made to Fabinho.

Flobs

FADA
Own goal. Singular. He only scored one.

And it was 141 games, actually. :p

Yes- I am the president of the Djimi fan club; in fact, for a short time after Istanbul I changed my username on my old forum to Djimicaloldgit.
1 game too many then. ;)

Flobs

FADA
I dont understand the criticism of Minamino, he was one if our brightest players in the 1st half when we got the ball into his feet, however the 2nd half he went missing as we reverted to our play down the sides and sling a cross in mentality, we stopped playing the ball to his feet and it killed his game, nothing he could do about it!!!
He went down too many blind alleys even in the 1st half. Tried but failed imo however yes there was something there.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Seems like the fun ride has come to bit of an end but what a ride it was! All in all the strategy prior to the season was to focus on the starting eleven and stretch it as far as we could. Has it paid off, most certainly (y)

The gab in quality between the first choice and the second choice is pretty obvious though and as soon as only a couple of the starting players are out we see the overall quality fall tremendiously, only Matip, Milner, Keita and Chamberlain and to certain extent origi has proved to slot into the side without much negative effect to the overal quality but as soon as we have to rely on too many of our back ups major cracks appear.

I guess thats only natural and even a side like city that has the worlds most expensive bench suffers when important first teamers break down (Laporte in their case) Hopefully we will turn it all around by beating atletico and go through in the CL and this little slump will be soon forgotten, forever.

We always strive for perfection, especially on this board! and no doubt this is the closest to perfection I've witness a Liverpool side become and it looks like it will continue for many years too. The thought of dominating english football for years to come is the most satisfying feeling ever, way better than the frustrating feeling we all been tormented with for decades with a few expections of course. This current set up and fundation are much stronger than we ever had before so I'm actually quite confident that it will continue for many years. I'm gonna enjoy it and this little meaningless slump not gonna question the overall grandeur of what we've the pleasue of witnessing. That's it and good day to you all folks :)

LaurazRed

I think the slightly concerning thing is how easily Chelsea opened us up, and how often we gave possession away again. Bournemouth now feels bigger than it would've done.

Flobs

FADA
I cant get my head around our current form to be honest.

We seem unable to create chances and at the same time we've become incredibly open and loose at the back. I know we were chasing the game last night but being that open was still very uncharacteristic.

Not sure what the answer is here to be honest. It looks like we need some kind of reset. I don't think its opposition teams "figuring" us out, more of us not doing the right things somewhere along the line
Our midfield is advancing to high, when the opposition win the ball off us there's only Fabinho covering. He then charges forward to press but from too deep making it easy for the opposition to get past him. That in turn exposes our CBs who end up with 1 chance to make the right decission.
Once in the Watford game I saw 6 of our players lined up along the Watford defensive line yet the ball was at the feet of Lovren. I'm sure this happened more than this once (camera shots just didn't allow us to see it that clearly on other ocassions). I mean 6 players all on the shoulder of a defender with just 2 metres behind those defenders who could get a through ball in there from 40 metres out?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Chelsea's 1st was all down to Gomez and the second had a lot to do with what Gomez didn't do. In fact a lot of Gomez' decissions were poor especially his passing and his execution of that. Noway should he have tempted fate with that most stupid of passes he made to Fabinho.
Gomez has every right to back Fab to control and pop it into midfield. It might look like a risky pass, but the team is very good a short rabona style passes deep in our own half. We do it all the time, we’ve just got used to it.

The second looked like a breakaway from a counter attack to me, which can happen.

Noo Noo

The recurring theme for me is lack of intensity particularly in the midfield. We are well past the point of scapegoating individuals for defeats be it Lovren or Adrian or Origi etc. When we play without intensity we become easy to play through because we have such a high defensive line. As soon there is no pressure on the ball when we're out of possession, decent teams can get their head up and get runners free with big switch passing to the flanks, which are unoccupied, or just run into the gaps like Barkley did last night. It doesn't help that we are giving the ball away so cheaply and so often.

Attack-wise first half last night we were OK but Chelsea were on the front foot and gave us room. In the second half it was a carbon copy of the Watford game. They held a good shape and we were weren't able to get in behind. There again the lack of intensity to win second balls or counter-press effectively is a major part of our attacking plan gone. The last truly complete performance I saw from us was against West Ham away just before the winter break. There was a moment in that game that typified how we play when we're on it. Mark Noble got the ball on the edge of his own area and was immediately swamped by 4 Liverpool players. I haven't seen anything like that since.

I don't think it's just about Henderson because he has played in some of those sub-par performances although we definitely lack leadership when he's not playing. We're not very vocal particularly in the midfield without him or Milner. It's officially a slump, the sort we've seen before and that we've got out of. Several players not playing well simultaneously. A bit jaded mentally perhaps after 2 years of continuous brilliance. A good performance against Bournemouth now is vital, especially with Atletico coming up. The league will still be won but we need to get that cloak of invincibility back as soon as we can.
Great post. I pretty much agree having stewed on it a little. Our midfield has certainly gone AWOL of late and its clearly affecting the other units in the team, most notably the defense.

Good to see Milner last night I thought. I think we'll be in a better place with Wijnaldum and Milner playing than what we saw against last night. Not disrespecting Jones though. I thought he was the best of the 3 in midfield

Noo Noo

Our midfield is advancing to high, when the opposition win the ball off us there's only Fabinho covering. He then charges forward to press but from too deep making it easy for the opposition to get past him. That in turn exposes our CBs who end up with 1 chance to make the right decission.
Once in the Watford game I saw 6 of our players lined up along the Watford defensive line yet the ball was at the feet of Lovren. I'm sure this happened more than this once (camera shots just didn't allow us to see it that clearly on other ocassions). I mean 6 players all on the shoulder of a defender with just 2 metres behind those defenders who could get a through ball in there from 40 metres out?
Very true. The high full backs also leave us exposed to that.

certainly a midfield balance issue. Yes Fabinho is off colour but that's not 100% down to him. He's being left exposed with too much to cover

I wonder if a 4-2-3-1 might help when this happens?

Flobs

FADA
Very true. The high full backs also leave us exposed to that.

certainly a midfield balance issue. Yes Fabinho is off colour but that's not 100% down to him. He's being left exposed with too much to cover

I wonder if a 4-2-3-1 might help when this happens?
Gini used to stay deeper and pick up loose and second balls. He hasn't been doing that recently prefering to try and get forward more which could be fine with Henderson in the team but Keita/AOC surely it's asking for trouble. It's not just Gini though they are all joining the forwards before we get the ball in midfield. It's like we just don't want to play through the midfield which against teams that park the bus is ludicrous.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Maybe our opponents have found out how to play against us.
For my understanding there are too much predictable passes sidewards and backwards.
What I miss is more shots from outside the box. It’s really difficult to carry the ball into the back of the net against bus parkers.

A little bit more „heavy metal football“ should be enough to come back on track.

FGred

How can we fix our mini slump?

How do we approach Bournemouth?

Please say something positive.
There is nothing to fix we have lost a game in the league for one and a half years away from home. The FA cup i wish we had not won at Shrewsbury and avoided the replay this would have stopped us from all this brow beating about a couple of losses in the CL and the FA cup. The priority is winning the league and we can start to put things right on Saturday against Bournemouth. Then we will show AM how it is done at Anfield and all the shithousery in the universe will not stop us from going through to the quarters Then we can concentrate on dismantling the bitters and putting the pressure back on shitty who will drop points make no mistake. I am still hopeful we will be celebrating winning the league at home against CP.
We have to back JK from now till the end of the season to the hilt and batten down the hatches to placate the hostile media and the Linewankers of this world. The last 5 matches the basic tactics against us was unsettling our 3 forwards and in specific cases our back 3 and using the technical fouling of Gladiola’ s bible you go back and watch the videos of those matches and count the number of times Mo Sadio and bobby got grappled niggled and kicked repeatedly and the refs not even ticking off the culprits and yesterday was worse Origi got kicked from behind several times and Sadio got kicked from behind and not even a yellow card in sight he gave up after that the problem with that is JK will not allow our players to complain to the ref yesterday he kept his finger on his mouth signalling them to shut up. We had a penalty shout with a handball but that was judged not deliberate but a fairly similar handball by Lallana was punished with a free kick all of this plays on the minds of our players.
in Jurgen we trust and I hope that it will third time lucky and in4 weeks time I will dare buy a ticket in Sandon to celebrate with all of you guys.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Sadly I feel it's falling to bits, I don't see any hope in what we've done the last two games everyone looks spent or bored or lethargic. I thought Watford would blow the cobwebs away but it's same old last night.

We will blow it all I feel... as impossible as it looks sadly I can't see us winning the PL anymore. Sorry. Time to take a break from it all it seems.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Sadly I feel it's falling to bits, I don't see any hope in what we've done the last two games everyone looks spent or bored or lethargic. I thought Watford would blow the cobwebs away but it's same old last night.

We will blow it all I feel... as impossible as it looks sadly I can't see us winning the PL anymore. Sorry. Time to take a break from it all it seems.
Chicken Little is IN the building!