Post Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (FAC 3/3/20 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Lallana [off 80’]

• Jones [off 69’]

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Mane

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Minamino

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Origi [off 69’]

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Firmino [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner [on 69’]

• Salah [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red over the water

I see it as one bad game against Watford, and we will bounce back from it.

Atletico was a very difficult game against a good side, well coached, and well set up to give us problems. It’s half time, and while that wasn’t a great result over there, it’s well within the bounds of normal.

Chelsea away in the cup was also well within the bounds of normal. They are a good side. We weren’t great, but it was better than Watford. An Adrian mistake and a Barkley shot did us. Chelsea are a good young side, hungry for their own success. The FA Cup represents their best path to that this season, and while we would have liked to have won, we didn’t... but we are operating on a higher level, going for bigger prizes.

Watford was the outlier to me. Rubbish all over the park.

Put that right against Bournemouth then the league is tantalizingly close, then, with a bit of wind in our sails, regroup and go at Atletico with renewed vigor in front of a charged-up Anfield crowd that will be doing its part to help lift this side now that it is especially needed.

It is going to be a historic season.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Is anyone really bothered that we are out of the F All cup? I know that I'm not, and by Kloppo's demeanour last night, neither is he. Obviously I'm disappointed to lose a match, any match, but the F All cup, come on; we have a much bigger target in our sights.

And it's not as though it is a disgrace to lose to cheatski, away at their midden; they have some very good players, and Kepa, as is typical for opposition goalies, had a worldy. We got nothing from the ref, no fifty-fifty decisions, nothing e.g. while he ignored a blatant trip on Sadio, he was quick to card Fab for what looked like a legitimate challenge. As a direct consequence Fab didn't tackle barkley "banker", on his scoring run. On another night, with a bit of luck, we could have won it, not necessarily at a canter, but won it, none the less.

Could we have played better? Of course we could; and knowing that should be a source of hope and optimism, not doubt and despair.

So we have one less distraction, and fewer games to play, which should be to our advantage.

And to my shame, I feel exactly the same about the Champion's League; yes I would be over the moon to win it again, and no, I don't want to lose, but if we do get knocked out, I won't be suicidal.

As long as we win "It", I really don't care, not even if it is only by one point on the last day of the season.

PS mods, pretty please, would it be possible to ban anyone who posts that we're going to win "It" anytime before it is a mathematical certainty?

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
We need to start kicking the ball at the oppositions goal with venom and regularity, sounds overly simplistic but it's not happening, especially against teams that cram their defense and especially if TTA is not on and lobbing in crosses. Unless we start having a pop from outside the box we'll end up with more and more games like last night and Watford.

Just read that back and it sounds like a load of cobblers, never mind.

Maybe just play the A-team, get it won then have a rest.

Magnus

I see it as one bad game against Watford, and we will bounce back from it.

Atletico was a very difficult game against a good side, well coached, and well set up to give us problems. It’s half time, and while that wasn’t a great result over there, it’s well within the bounds of normal.

Chelsea away in the cup was also well within the bounds of normal. They are a good side. We weren’t great, but it was better than Watford. An Adrian mistake and a Barkley shot did us. Chelsea are a good young side, hungry for their own success. The FA Cup represents their best path to that this season, and while we would have liked to have won, we didn’t... but we are operating on a higher level, going for bigger prizes.

Watford was the outlier to me. Rubbish all over the park.

Put that right against Bournemouth then the league is tantalizingly close, then, with a bit of wind in our sails, regroup and go at Atletico with renewed vigor in front of a charged-up Anfield crowd that will be doing its part to help lift this side now that it is especially needed.

It is going to be a historic season.
I agree that the Chelsea game was much better than against Watford. Movement better all around the pitch and our team wasn't so stretched. First half against Chelsea was pretty good., though we always looked insecure at the back when we lost possession.

However, to be blunt, the scary part in the Chelsea game was the second half, that was far from good and not up to Top 6 Premier League standard at all. But the first half was pretty good, I enjoyed that a lot. But even thought the second half was better than against Watford, it was still a half where nothing much in our defence worked as it should, and Chelsea had several shots in the post and/or incredibly close to the goal. It was absolutely possible that we could have lost 5-0 if you take the second half into account, so yes, the second half was frightening because we were absolutely not underestimating Chelsea and every player wanted to win the game; and yet. I remind you that we didnt create a half chance in the second half either, and the closest we got was a couple of corners.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Is anyone really bothered that we are out of the F All cup? I know that I'm not, and by Kloppo's demeanour last night, neither is he. Obviously I'm disappointed to lose a match, any match, but the F All cup, come on; we have a much bigger target in our sights.

And it's not as though it is a disgrace to lose to cheatski, away at their midden; they have some very good players, and Kepa, as is typical for opposition goalies, had a worldy. We got nothing from the ref, no fifty-fifty decisions, nothing e.g. while he ignored a blatant trip on Sadio, he was quick to card Fab for what looked like a legitimate challenge. As a direct consequence Fab didn't tackle barkley "banker", on his scoring run. On another night, with a bit of luck, we could have won it, not necessarily at a canter, but won it, none the less.

Could we have played better? Of course we could; and knowing that should be a source of hope and optimism, not doubt and despair.

So we have one less distraction, and fewer games to play, which should be to our advantage.

And to my shame, I feel exactly the same about the Champion's League; yes I would be over the moon to win it again, and no, I don't want to lose, but if we do get knocked out, I won't be suicidal.

As long as we win "It", I really don't care, not even if it is only by one point on the last day of the season.

PS mods, pretty please, would it be possible to ban anyone who posts that we're going to win "It" anytime before it is a mathematical certainty?
I was really sad we lost tbh. I would loved to have an FA cup, it has been so long that we won it. However, our main aim to get "it" after 30 years and having 2 near misses. I would forfeit the other cups just win all our remaining matches.

I totally agree with you on that we should not say anything until it is mathematically possible. We still have a long way to go. I was not buying it that everything is done and dusted.
I am still really positive and we have to keep believing in the lads and they need to keep trying and believe in themselves. We supporters have to get behind the boys and our manager in every single match push them on.

liver1

No, I dont care were out. We played the kids against Everton. We played the Juniors against Shrewsbury. Yesterday we put out a slightly stronger side than I expected with Robertson Mane and Van Dijk in there, but I thought wed go kids again and lose valiantly like against Villa in the league cup.

I expect us to beat Bournemouth and then everything hinges on the Atletico game. Thats probably the first real big pressure game weve had in a while.

We used to always think the current game is so important, its must win, but recently I would say ever since City lost to Spurs the pressure hasnt been there in the league. None of these have been big games and were just ambling along.

There might be a bit more pressure against Bournemouth to show we can bounce back, but really weve been lacking that "must win" necessity recently.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Gomez has every right to back Fab to control and pop it into midfield. It might look like a risky pass, but the team is very good a short rabona style passes deep in our own half. We do it all the time, we’ve just got used to it.

The second looked like a breakaway from a counter attack to me, which can happen.
What in the actual are you talking about? They do not. And should not.

Flobs

FADA
Gomez has every right to back Fab to control and pop it into midfield. It might look like a risky pass, but the team is very good a short rabona style passes deep in our own half. We do it all the time, we’ve just got used to it.

The second looked like a breakaway from a counter attack to me, which can happen.
Your kidding right? (for the 1st goal)
For the second Gomez made the wrong decission, I mentionned this earlier that the system we are playing at the moment forces are CBs into situations where they have to make the correct decisson because there's noone else left. This was over discussing what happens when we lose the ball.
Your defense of Gomez is ill conceived imo, he made 2 major errors in this match it serves no purpose to deny it, cover it up or blame someone else however no he wasn't the only one to make mistakes. The thing is before when we made individual errors (which when you look at the stats are more often than average) we generally have someone else to cover for it. At the moment we are not getting that cover which is where the debate should be.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Chelsea's 1st was all down to Gomez and the second had a lot to do with what Gomez didn't do. In fact a lot of Gomez' decissions were poor especially his passing and his execution of that. Noway should he have tempted fate with that most stupid of passes he made to Fabinho.
The 2nd wasnt Gomez's fault he was left in no mans land and as I said earlier he did exactly what VVD did against Spurs in the Champions league final against Sissoko, he couldnt commit as the pass to his left would have been a killer pass 1 v 1, thus time Barclay hit a beaut of a shot although warch Adrians positioning he was directly behind Gomez.

How you can blame him is beyond me when Barclay just breezed through midfield and Gomez was 2 v 1, remember when VVD did what he did it was considered great defending whereas I though Joe actually got his angles better but the finish this time was better.

We have already discussed the 1st goal before Fabs touch was horrendous for a professoinal footballer, maybe Joe's fault was that he thought he could deal with the pass

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I think he meant Rondo?
Just thinking of consistant use of Rondos in traiining in regards to Fabs error with Rondo's you are always facing the direction of play you can therefore see the whole picture, whereas Fab and Jones, for Barclays goal received and lost the ball with an opposition plyer winning it from behind them. The 'rondo' way of training quick close control passing needs to be developed so players can play in a small grid receiving the ball with aim to get it to the opposite end of the grid, a simple practice to make you play with your back to the achieved goal.

I have mentioned many times during games that we are poor receiving the ball and turning and also our awareness of where the opposition is.

Flobs

FADA
The 2nd wasnt Gomez's fault he was left in no mans land and as I said earlier he did exactly what VVD did against Spurs in the Champions league final against Sissoko, he couldnt commit as the pass to his left would have been a killer pass 1 v 1, thus time Barclay hit a beaut of a shot although warch Adrians positioning he was directly behind Gomez.

How you can blame him is beyond me when Barclay just breezed through midfield and Gomez was 2 v 1, remember when VVD did what he did it was considered great defending whereas I though Joe actually got his angles better but the finish this time was better.

We have already discussed the 1st goal before Fabs touch was horrendous for a professoinal footballer, maybe Joe's fault was that he thought he could deal with the pass
He had to make a choice and it was the wrong one. For me he had to 'block' Barclay and leave Adrian with the 1 on 1 if it went out left (much better chances of success imo).
But that's it isn't it in these situations. Another point is where Gomez is when the shot goes off no mans land he didn't cover the shot or the pass. He realised his error too late. Anyway I don't see what the problem is in saying a player made a mistake/error and Gomez made multiple errors in this match. Doesn't make him a bad defender just makes him human. He's still our best defender to partner VVD. Of bigger worry is VVD with the captains armband imo.

For the 1st goal. Yes and we can discuss it over and over again. That pass from Gomez was never on should never have been played. That Fabinho made a hash of the pass doesn't matter that's just another mistake and we are just making far too many at the moment, letting the opposition in.

[email protected]

Exactly right... except that game wasn't the CL, it was against Spurs at Anfield in the league. But yes, had Gomez pushed up on Barkley the runner on the right would have been a simple option to play in. He forced Barkley into a fairly low percentage option and he scored. Gomez did as well as the options around him allowed him to do. Fabinho running through treacle to get back really didn't help.

FGred

The only thing that scared the shit out of me during the whole game was Mane holding his hamstring. That was heart in the mouth moment.
It wasn’t fortunately but he was kicked quite hard from behind for him to pull up like that ref was right there and waved play on the whole game he wouldn’t give us the steam of his piss unless it was far away from their goal

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Sadly I feel it's falling to bits, I don't see any hope in what we've done the last two games everyone looks spent or bored or lethargic. I thought Watford would blow the cobwebs away but it's same old last night.

We will blow it all I feel... as impossible as it looks sadly I can't see us winning the PL anymore. Sorry. Time to take a break from it all it seems.
Matty, we’ve lost one game...

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Your kidding right? (for the 1st goal)
For the second Gomez made the wrong decission, I mentionned this earlier that the system we are playing at the moment forces are CBs into situations where they have to make the correct decisson because there's noone else left. This was over discussing what happens when we lose the ball.
Your defense of Gomez is ill conceived imo, he made 2 major errors in this match it serves no purpose to deny it, cover it up or blame someone else however no he wasn't the only one to make mistakes. The thing is before when we made individual errors (which when you look at the stats are more often than average) we generally have someone else to cover for it. At the moment we are not getting that cover which is where the debate should be.
What’s happened is the absolute hiding that some of us gave Lovren after the Watford left some of you who defended him like a tightly wound spring ready for the first hint of a Gomez mistake.

First goal not his fault in the slightest. Second goal, maybe you can blame him, but I’m not going to get concerned about being caught on the counter. The real problem was that Fab was on a yellow (wrongly) and could do his job.

Flobs

FADA
What’s happened is the absolute hiding that some of us gave Lovren after the Watford left some of you who defended him like a tightly wound spring ready for the first hint of a Gomez mistake.

First goal not his fault in the slightest. Second goal, maybe you can blame him, but I’m not going to get concerned about being caught on the counter. The real problem was that Fab was on a yellow (wrongly) and could do his job.
Not in the slightest? You must be joking that was a classic must not do at any level. Come on if your going to accuse me of just lashing back at least have some decency.

I'm just prodding a bit to see who's prepared to admit where the errors were. Oh! Fabinho's not playing well at the moment he's an easy target (yet his error was no worst than for example Gerrards slip). I admit he made and error but it came after Gomez' disasterous decission.
If you take the second goal i was surprised by VVD's pass to Jones, Jones turn was at best ill advised (he should have turned toward the line if he was going to turn (still think he should have just held the ball up. However once all that's happened it falls to Gomez' to make the right decission, he didn't so it's an error.
To be honest I don't care much about what's said about Lovren anymore, got tired of it a long time ago. I do find it amusing to see at what lengths posters will go to defend certain players and how quick they are to criticise others. Particularly post match I mean it's not like I'm attacking Gomez' integrity just parts of his performance in one match (as I said I still think he's our best partner for VVD and he's improved immensely on aspects of his game that were weak). Some times you've just got to take it on the chin and this is what I hope Gomez will do.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
He had to make a choice and it was the wrong one. For me he had to 'block' Barclay and leave Adrian with the 1 on 1 if it went out left (much better chances of success imo).
But that's it isn't it in these situations. Another point is where Gomez is when the shot goes off no mans land he didn't cover the shot or the pass. He realised his error too late. Anyway I don't see what the problem is in saying a player made a mistake/error and Gomez made multiple errors in this match. Doesn't make him a bad defender just makes him human. He's still our best defender to partner VVD. Of bigger worry is VVD with the captains armband imo.

For the 1st goal. Yes and we can discuss it over and over again. That pass from Gomez was never on should never have been played. That Fabinho made a hash of the pass doesn't matter that's just another mistake and we are just making far too many at the moment, letting the opposition in.
Have you read my post? tell me what he did differently to VVD in the final? As a defender, you have to cover what I would term as the killer pass, the one which would have put a player 1 v 1 with the keeper and he stopped this, also did you see Adrian's positioning? it showed him actually in line behind Gomez so he didn't cover the majority of the goal which was where the shot went in.

With regards to no man's land, he was in no man's land once Barclay broke through, as the defender all you hope is that the forwards make a fuck up as they are in the ascendency 2 v 1 and on this occasion Barclay hit a good shot.

Blaming Gomez for this is a joke, if you consider what VVD did with Sissoko as being excellent and most pundits did.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Not in the slightest? You must be joking that was a classic must not do at any level. Come on if your going to accuse me of just lashing back at least have some decency.

I'm just prodding a bit to see who's prepared to admit where the errors were. Oh! Fabinho's not playing well at the moment he's an easy target (yet his error was no worst than for example Gerrards slip). I admit he made and error but it came after Gomez' disasterous decission.
If you take the second goal i was surprised by VVD's pass to Jones, Jones turn was at best ill advised (he should have turned toward the line if he was going to turn (still think he should have just held the ball up. However once all that's happened it falls to Gomez' to make the right decission, he didn't so it's an error.
To be honest I don't care much about what's said about Lovren anymore, got tired of it a long time ago. I do find it amusing to see at what lengths posters will go to defend certain players and how quick they are to criticise others. Particularly post match I mean it's not like I'm attacking Gomez' integrity just parts of his performance in one match (as I said I still think he's our best partner for VVD and he's improved immensely on aspects of his game that were weak). Some times you've just got to take it on the chin and this is what I hope Gomez will do.

See you use words as "disastrous decision" the disaster was Fabs touch, simple really.

Flobs

FADA
Have you read my post? tell me what he did differently to VVD in the final? As a defender, you have to cover what I would term as the killer pass, the one which would have put a player 1 v 1 with the keeper and he stopped this, also did you see Adrian's positioning? it showed him actually in line behind Gomez so he didn't cover the majority of the goal which was where the shot went in.

With regards to no man's land, he was in no man's land once Barclay broke through, as the defender all you hope is that the forwards make a fuck up as they are in the ascendency 2 v 1 and on this occasion Barclay hit a good shot.

Blaming Gomez for this is a joke, if you consider what VVD did with Sissoko as being excellent and most pundits did.
I haven't a clue what your talking about. I'm talking about the Chelsea game.
Pundits my bum. ;)

Libero

Sadly I feel it's falling to bits, I don't see any hope in what we've done the last two games everyone looks spent or bored or lethargic. I thought Watford would blow the cobwebs away but it's same old last night.

We will blow it all I feel... as impossible as it looks sadly I can't see us winning the PL anymore. Sorry. Time to take a break from it all it seems.
This post, seriously :oops::confused:o_O

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

Mate that is best applied to your Lovren rant after the Watford game. I'm not sure anyone has blamed Gomez for anything. Did he play a brilliant game? Not particularly. But he also had plenty of company. Just as Lovren did the other night. I'm still failing to see what Lovren did wrong on the first goal. We have no idea if Lovren was instructed to play tight on Deeney (I'd imagine so given Lovren played tight on him all match and Klopp didn't correct at half time). Is the guy supposed to be in two places at once? The argument for him being at fault for that goal is appalling. And the thing is, we've seen this dance a million times before. If Lovren leaves at the end of the season - I prefer him to stay as hes a very decent option as 3rd choice - you'll all be onto your next victim blaming them for everything going wrong (early signs it will be Origi) and the merry-go-round will continue. You expect that perfection is possible from 11 flawed footballers (how much they are paid is irrelevant). And you probably won't be happy until we go through a season with back to back 7-0 wins across 38 games. A bit of perspective would be in order.

You often tell members to take a deep breath before posting on the forums, to save themselves from flying off the handle and post something incoherent thats based purely off emotion. Its time to practice what you preach.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Mate that is best applied to your Lovren rant after the Watford game. I'm not sure anyone has blamed Gomez for anything. Did he play a brilliant game? Not particularly. But he also had plenty of company. Just as Lovren did the other night. I'm still failing to see what Lovren did wrong on the first goal. We have no idea if Lovren was instructed to play tight on Deeney (I'd imagine so given Lovren played tight on him all match and Klopp didn't correct at half time). Is the guy supposed to be in two places at once? The argument for him being at fault for that goal is appalling. And the thing is, we've seen this dance a million times before. If Lovren leaves at the end of the season - I prefer him to stay as hes a very decent option as 3rd choice - you'll all be onto your next victim blaming them for everything going wrong (early signs it will be Origi) and the merry-go-round will continue. You expect that perfection is possible from 11 flawed footballers (how much they are paid is irrelevant). And you probably won't be happy until we go through a season with back to back 7-0 wins across 38 games. A bit of perspective would be in order.

You often tell members to take a deep breath before posting on the forums, to save themselves from flying off the handle and post something incoherent thats based purely off emotion. Its time to practice what you preach.
Where to start with this fucking drivel? Don’t try and strawman me with talk of expecting perfection and scapegoating players. That isn’t me, and if you’re going to try and do a character job, make sure you understand my character.

If you knew anything about me you’d know I very, very rarely single out a player. In regard to Lovren I’ve done my diligence. It’s been years now of this kind of thing, and I think in saying the lad is a liability I’m entirely justified. I’m hardly alone in pointing out what a catastrophic performance it was.

On Gomez, I find it baffling that after Adrian drops it in his own goal, and Fabinho gave the ball away for the shot, a couple of lads are blaming Gomez for making a pass he’s entitled to make.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Careful mate, you’ll have someone excusing you of demanding 7-0 wins in every game.