POST MATCH discussion: Everton 2-2 Liverpool

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Those saying we didn't play well and that we were piss poor, that's fine, you have the right to make that opinion. But please do not tell me we did not deserve to win that game. As far as I know, the team with the most goals at the end of the game wins and that should have been us. We took that opportunity in the dying moments and capitalized. That was brilliant. We went and won the match. Fcking horrendous officiating screwed us. We deserved the points, we scored more goals. For once we get to steal the spoils at the end, and then we get robbed. It's infuriating.
Spot on, yesterday hearing it was a 'fair result' infuriated me, the fairest result is based on who gets the most goals to win the game which was us!!

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
In the light of the scums game, I really think the refs in this league are corrupt, With FA aswell.
Bunch of satanist's worshipping the Red Devil while keeping their arch-rival down as much as possible.... ok that was a pretty nut house comment :D But my god the refs are not giving out favor to us that's for sure.

[font=times new roman']"Surely, when he's going to watch the images he's going to realise that he[/font]
[font=times new roman']made big mistakes.[/font]
[font=times new roman']"We are massively disappointed that these key decisions were wrong. It[/font]
[font=times new roman']always seems to be in favour of the opposition. That's a massive [/font]
[font=times new roman']disadvantage for us. I thought at 2-2, we looked like the team that were[/font]
[font=times new roman']probably going to win the game. You don't want the referees to be a big [/font]
[font=times new roman']influence in the game, you let the two teams play each other and play a[/font]
[font=times new roman']good game, that's what everybody loves to watch."[/font]

[font=times new roman']Brendan Rogers telling it like it is. Nice work BR, get on the blower to Mike Riley and rip him a new one.[/font]
[font=times new roman']Oh wait! That wasn't BR. That was Roberto di Matteo fuming at being robbed against United today.[/font]
[font=times new roman']Face it guys, refs make mistakes every single match. Every single week. All the wide world over. [/font]

[font=times new roman']And they will continue to do so. We are not being persecuted here. They are not "against us". This happens to other teams as well. And until [/font]
[font=times new roman']FIFA introduces some sort of technology to help fallible human beings, nothing much is going to change.[/font]
Happens to other teams aswell but surprisingly less often to Manchester United. Once or twice you can call it coincidence but when the same repeated pattern of bias is being observed for several seasons in a row it becomes a little bit more than coincidence.

Having said that I thought Andre Mariner did pretty well in our game but it was just the inept linesman who bottled it and got easily influenced by Osman asking for offside. You don't give offsides based on whether the opposition players think it is an offside or not.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Happens to other teams aswell but surprisingly less often to Manchester United. Once or twice you can call it coincidence but when the same repeated pattern of bias is being observed for several seasons in a row it becomes a little bit more than coincidence.

Having said that I thought Andre Mariner did pretty well in our game but it was just the inept linesman who bottled it and got easily influenced by Osman asking for offside. You don't give offsides based on whether the opposition players think it is an offside or not.
It is unfortunate - I agree that Marriner overall did a solid job in what is usually a different fixture. Did not paint himself in his corner, but showed the cards often enough to stay in charge. Really not much he can do about that woeful linesman call unless he himself was absolutely sure.

1dragon

TIA Regular
The funniest part is, if you look at the replay of the goal, the Everton defenders all look dejected as they know it was legitimate. On the other hand, it was the player who was further away from the ball that raised his hand first. I really wonder how the linesman got influenced there when no one within the vicinity of Suarez and Coates actually protested.

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
Just putting this out there - I am quickly becoming Shelvey's biggest fan boy.

Has such an ability to get involved in games and changed the tempo, thus far this season whenever he is on, wherever the ball is, Jonjo isn't far from it.

Right amount of enthusiasm and passion and always looking to get on the ball. Good to see a young central midfielder with such confidence. Just wish he banged that chance in with 10 minutes to go.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team

Has such an ability to get involved in games and changed the tempo, thus far this season whenever he is on, wherever the ball is, Jonjo isn't far from it.

Right amount of enthusiasm and passion and always looking to get on the ball. Good to see a young central midfielder with such confidence. Just wish he banged that chance in with 10 minutes to go.
Totally agree
I can't see why some people think Sahin is better

No way

Shelvey to me is more dynamic and grittier than Sahin

Is this your classic foreign fancy name bias ?

Sahin is quality don't get me wrong but slightly overrated

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
Totally agree
I can't see why some people think Sahin is better

No way

Shelvey to me is more dynamic and grittier than Sahin

Is this your classic foreign fancy name bias ?

Sahin is quality don't get me wrong but slightly overrated
Before the game was banging on about Shelvey starting personally, think we lived to regret it.

Big Sahin fan too, but would be much more suited to playing once Lucas is in. Too many 'creative' presences with Allen, Gerrard and Sahin, not enough bite.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir

Sorry but I think he's still got a ways to go to really be good. Right now he is still making bad decisions with and without the ball. That one chance he had yesterday he should have passed it to Sterling who was open on the left wing. The other thing he did wrong is making another rash tackle, on Distin I think, that didn't need to be made. Can he learn and get better? Sure but he's clearly not there yet but I agree he can come on as a sub and change the tempo of the game.

Did we play badly? Kind of but since its the Derby I have no problem with it as long as it was in the game-plan to play on the counter-attack. We just couldn't get the ball for long enough to build any rhythm which is not the Rodger's way. Enrique and Jones kept just clearing the ball long instead of playing it out the back and Everton kept winning the ball back far too easily. They were bigger, stronger and sometimes faster to the lose ball which I thought was a problem. We sure could have used Carroll for this one if we are going to play on the counter-attack, so short term I am not worried if this is a one off performance but long term I might be.

Fantastic goal celebration by Suarez and brave tactical decisions by Rodgers at halftime. Would have taken a point before the game but really should have got all 3 after the game. Also want to mention that Agger's yellow card shouldn't have been given as he was fouled previously by Fellaini(spell?). He shouldn't have handled the ball before the whistle blew but whistle should have blown in the first place.

Hopefully the players will have gained the confidence of a win even though we only got the one point after the disallowed goal. Derby games aren't watched because they produce great football but because of the fight from two teams that a desperate to win. The pride of victory is more important than the quality of the football so can we stop talking about that.

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team
Spot on, yesterday hearing it was a 'fair result' infuriated me, the fairest result is based on who gets the most goals to win the game which was us!!
if it was based on performances we would be top :tongue:. But it depends on the result , if you're strikers don't take their chances and your opponents do , you deserve to lose

LeoT

Having Lucas (or a proper stand in) playing in the hole would have allowed us to control or close out the game when we were in a winning position. Without a DM in the side, all the opposition has to do is simply apply pressure through centre midfield and we usually crumble; we will always be vulnerable (we were in exactly the same position last season when we lost Lucas) to teams who want to have a go at us until this vital position is filled.

Sorry to bang on about this folks but it just seems so obvious to me.

I'm a huge Lucas fan, however, I'm not sure Lucas would have made a major difference, Joe Allan did ok yesterday considering he was mainly playing against Filani who seems to be about twice his size.
Our main problem seemed to be players not showing to receive passes, players giving the ball away with sloppy passes, our players being 2nd to every ball.
These seem to be the usual signs of being slightly fatigued. I think we did well considering what the game on thursday must have taken out of us.

We did well to hold on during the period after the 2nd Everton goal went in, until the 60th minute.
At that time I was convinced we would probably conceed so would have taken a draw. Though i am annoyed that a bad decision cost us 2 really important points that would have changed an ok week into a great week.

I finally have some respect for the David Moyes for the way he took Suarez celebration in good humour.

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
Sorry but I think he's still got a ways to go to really be good. Right now he is still making bad decisions with and without the ball. That one chance he had yesterday he should have passed it to Sterling who was open on the left wing. The other thing he did wrong is making another rash tackle, on Distin I think, that didn't need to be made. Can he learn and get better? Sure but he's clearly not there yet but I agree he can come on as a sub and change the tempo of the game.
He's young. These things are going to happen. Not the only player on the pitch to not give it to Sterling when in a good position...
I encourage him to back himself and to go hard into challenges. Last thing you want is a hesitant player thinking twice every time he gets near the ball.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Points on the game;

1 Linesman cost us the game (get that out the way and move on not gonna harp on).

2 Rodgers chose a team and tactics that went out and for the first 20 minutes looked like we were going to embarrass them.

3 Rodgers has limited influence during a first half so the way things went between the 2nd goal and half time was out of his hands.

4 The unique nature of a derby match and the pride of the Everton players after the 2nd goal was a rude awekening to such a fresh young squad and the way they came back at us put us on back foot till half time.

5 Their second goal shouldnt of happened, first it was our throw, second it was a foul throw taken too quickly (there were rules broken on it) and finally Skrtel should of thrown himself at Fellainis cross to put it out for corner, bad concentration there.

6 Rodgers treated the second half perfect, he knew our game plan had fallen flat he made the changes needed nulified them and killed the atmosphere and we scored the winner (kind of).

7 The amount of challenges that weren't carded in the match I'm shocked the attention placed on Suarez foul on Distin.

8 Under any interrpretaion of the rules I fail to see how anybody can argue thats a red. Challenges like that happen every week and often arent carded at all even in dangerous positions.

9 Suarez celebration was brilliant and exactly what was needed to turn the whole diving allegations on their head and will go down in history as the Klinsman one did.

10 We could of played better, we fell apart for a while and were forced to react to the circumstances. Something we werent supposed to be able to do so its good to know we can. We were robbed of 2 points and Everton were gifted a point by shocking decision but when you let it go to fine margins that can and will happen. Its a learning curve, a harsh one. But generally a positive day at the office.

Copycat

Fellaini on Joe Allen. GIF made by @MostarLFC

The verdict? A free kick to Everton.

I'm sure the FA will take retrospective action since the ref apparently didn't see the kick...

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
The ref got one freekick right tho, when Neville feel to the ground unprovoked and got booked for it :D Don't even think he was trying to dive, just lack of control over his own legs I guess.

LeoT

I'm sure the FA will take retrospective action since the ref apparently didn't see the kick...
I missed Match of the Day yesterday, and I didn’t see the Sky post match reports.
Did the BBC or Sky pick up on this Fellaini kick?
Also, did they mention the incident in which Suarez studded another player’s ancle?

I ask because I suspect this Fellaini act of violent conduct would be swept under the carpet as “a bit of an accident by the friendly fella with the big hair”, whereas the Suarez foul would be treated as though it was attempted murder.

The real issue is very few British people outside of Liverpool FC like Suarez.
Some dislike him because of his famous hand-ball against Ghana during the World Cup, a few because of the Evra race incident.

However Suarez is mostly disliked for the same reason I detested Cristiano Ronaldo when he played for ManU.

…its because he’s good and he makes opposition defenders look rubbish.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Shelvey and Henderson really deserve more starts. Not like I've been saying that all season though . . .

Anfield rd Dreamer

Shelvey and Henderson really deserve more starts. Not like I've been saying that all season though . . .
Haha agreed. If the team is picked on merit Sahin, Allen and Gerrard are all stretching that merit to the max. Henderson is our second best DM but Allen is our best passer as well as third best DM can see why he has been picked first but Henderson is good enough to deserve a shot. I consider Shelvey our biggest goal threat from midfield but to start him requires dropping Sahin or Gerrard who are both outstanding players and yet again more rounded than Shelvey so can understand the preference. But Shelvey and Henderson have both been fantastic this season and have the potential to have specific impacts on important areas of our game. I actually think the midfield that would be the best when comes to defence and attack would be Henderson, Allen and Shelvey. But maybe the one we are fielding is the best one for passing and possession.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
I listened to the game whilst at work. One word kept being repeated, Fellaini. I like him as a player and his work rate, effort and impact on the match seemed consistently high throughout. Having now watched most of the game, I can only say that I thought we played really well. Did we deserve to win? Doesn't matter, we didn't.

Suarez could have seen red for the ankle rake and could have scored a second goal. If he'd have got the first, he definitely wouldn't have got the second.

I like David Moyes, a very good manager working wonders on a non-existent budget. Yes he tells the media that Suarez dives, don't all managers before playing us? You use every tool at your disposal if you're a ruthless competitor. Manipulating the media is one such weapon. I liked his comment about Suarez's dive too, good honesty from him and a sense of humor.

I don't and never will buy into the notion that the FA are corrupt, bent or open to influence. Maybe an older poster with a better memory than me can remember if we got a slightly better rub of the green while we where hoovering silverware? The bigger, more successful teams will always get the decisions, it's human nature unfortunately. Not to say Everton are a bigger club (obviously), yesterday was just one of those things.

Well done lads and well done BR for changing things on the fly, shows a flexibility in his approach that bodes well for the future. Very few teams would have come away with 3 points yesterday, I might be in a minority but I think Everton played very well and we matched them at their ground. A good result in my book.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Our midfield will look completely different when Lucas is fit.

--------Lucas------
---Allen---Att Mid

I think Lucas and Allen will be certainties, occupying the Defensive and Passing midfielder roles. Who the first choice attacking midfield role will be comes down to Shelvey, Suso and Sahin. With Lucas doing the mop up, it gives us scope to have the other two positions as more attack minded midfielders. Allen is a decent back up to DM, but he naturally wants to create, and that leaves us a bit exposed through the middle.

I don't think there is a role for Gerrard in midfield. Rodgers has said as much, and I think he's right. But he is one of the best finishers in the squad and his dynamism is sorely needed in attack. I see him on the right of the three.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rodger's look to make back 10m on Henderson. I like the lad, but I don't think Rodger's rates him that highly.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Our midfield will look completely different when Lucas is fit.

--------Lucas------
---Allen---Att Mid

I think Lucas and Allen will be certainties, occupying the Defensive and Passing midfielder roles. Who the first choice attacking midfield role will be comes down to Shelvey, Suso and Sahin. With Lucas doing the mop up, it gives us scope to have the other two positions as more attack minded midfielders. Allen is a decent back up to DM, but he naturally wants to create, and that leaves us a bit exposed through the middle.

I don't think there is a role for Gerrard in midfield. Rodgers has said as much, and I think he's right. But he is one of the best finishers in the squad and his dynamism is sorely needed in attack. I see him on the right of the three.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rodger's look to make back 10m on Henderson. I like the lad, but I don't think Rodger's rates him that highly.
This is a midfield I rather see to be honest.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team

The FA? Are you having a laugh? ;-)

Mascot88

Admin
Have to agree with Soozio, Quagmire. Brilliant Fifa midfield, but it would get murdered in real life.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
I missed Match of the Day yesterday, and I didn’t see the Sky post match reports.
Did the BBC or Sky pick up on this Fellaini kick?
Also, did they mention the incident in which Suarez studded another player’s ancle?
MOTD2 had Graeme Le Saux and Hansen on. Not a mention of Fellaini at all. Hansen mentioned it should have been our throw-in in the build-up to their eqaulizer, but Le Saux very quickly said something to the effect that it all happened so quickly as to be impossible to spot for the linesman/Ref (the exact same point he made about Chicarito's off-side goal for ManU). Bollox, it was an easy spot - as was theManU offside goal and as was Suarez's onside goal. All three decisions were as clear as can be. Le Saux also seemed to very much side with ManU (and/or the Ref) via the Torres second yellow too, despite an obvious clip and despite him playing many years for Chelsea. Yet Luis on Distin (and earlier on Miralles) were highlighted and given no such luxury ...of the speed of the game nowadays maybe making the Ref's job difficult .

At the end, MOTD2 ran their now-usual obligatory Suarez feature piece. First they got the semi-obligatory praise out of the way i.e. "He's a brilliant fotballer, but..." Just annoys the hell out of me that does - when every commentator, analist or hack nowadays describes Luis as a great player, only to immediately qualify it with a "BUT". Le Saux really over-emphasized Luis fouling Miralles (on 40" by clipping his ankle when tracking back) saying that's basically why Miralles then had to be subbed-off at half-time (though he seemed fine for the next 6 minutes). They handled some moments of Luis's brilliance, but also focused on him clipping Distin's ankle ...and even ran a pretty gratuitous clip of him slipping (on the very wet turf) very late-on when on an attacking run. [sic] Oh look, he's just pointed to the grass. Like we don't all know, he was diving there, looking for a free-kick[sic]. They also showing him putting the coin in his boot.

Of all the clips they might have shown, to show Luis slipping (thus blatantly inferring another dive) and to also emphasise him booting the coin felt wrong. Felt like some real nit-picking. I was expecting a Fellaini piece, where they showed him bullying our players i.e. sometimes legitimately brilliant physical play, sometimes very over-the-top bullying - with a kick out at Allen on the ground to boot. Nothing at all on that though.

I really don't like MOTD2 with Colin Murray hosting nowadays. Murray's supposed to be a lifelong LFC fan, but you really wouldn't know it ...with him forever nit-picking Luis. For whatever reason, he just seems to love to stick the boot in to Luis, whenever he can. Hansen has also be fairly negative this season, and increasingly toeing the party line - being ever-ready to pick fault, either with BR or Luis. Le Saux simply added nothing to the programme either - no insight at all, very poor analysis and a really populist and apologist viewpoint.

Mascot88

Admin
The idea that the media report the news is outdated. The media decide a narrative based on what is most likely to sell papers/get viewers/get webhits, decide on the course it will take and then play it.

The story on Luis is that he is a cheating foreigner who attracts controversy whenever he plays. That's what shifts papers, so that's the 'news'.

You can literally go from week to week pointing out worse dives, worse fouls and worse gamesmanship that Suarez is guilty of, and it doesn't matter. You can lament that fact that the football public has become confused into thinking that a dive is worse than a potentially career ending tackle, or trying to get an opponent booked is worse fraudulently appealing for a legitimate goal to be chalked off, and it won't be heard.

Suarez needs to keep his head down until the public and the media gets bored. It's the only way out this.