POST MATCH discussion: Everton 2-2 Liverpool

Barnestormer

Left wing.
tee hee....men against boys springs to mind....
Tee hee and then boo hoo,

It went Mcmahon, then Hamann, [have I missed anyone] but after that we havent had a tough player. Lucas tried and did his knee doing it.

Fellaini was what caused us problems - no-one knew how to deal with him. I would have thought it was quite easy - get underneath him and lose him his balance. I think he cheats a lot.

Anfield rd Dreamer

We get guys booked every time they make a fair but physical tackle. If we had a Souness type we would best get used to playing with ten men! Just because refs never call fouls for us and never send other players off dont mean they wont against us.

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
Fellaini on Joe Allen. GIF made by @MostarLFC

The verdict? A free kick to Everton.

I'm sure the FA will take retrospective action since the ref apparently didn't see the kick...
As rash as Fellaini's challenge is, the free kick was actually given for the shirt pulling Allen was doing on Fellaini before that Gif started.

Why the foul was only called when Fellaini had cleaned him up is beyond me though.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
Sure it has been said but Suarez is getting picked on by the media. I feel people are scared of him and they sense we are easy targets at the minute, hense the headlines all the time. For me I feel we should start voicing our concerns a bit more. Maybe a PR show from Rafa talking about some facts :-) .

snape

TIA Youth Team
Sure it has been said but Suarez is getting picked on by the media. I feel people are scared of him and they sense we are easy targets at the minute, hense the headlines all the time. For me I feel we should start voicing our concerns a bit more. Maybe a PR show from Rafa talking about some facts :-) .
Nah, we'll just sound like a bunch of whiners. Best way out of this is for Suarez keep his head down and score more than he already is. And to minimise the opportunities for others to accuse him of diving.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
Nah, we'll just sound like a bunch of whiners. Best way out of this is for Suarez keep his head down and score more than he already is. And to minimise the opportunities for others to accuse him of diving.
I get your point mate, maybe it is because I am biased. But to me Suarez is keeping his head down in regards to what he does on the pitch, but for some reason finds himself headline news all the time for the wrong reasons. Much bigger culprits out their in the league then him. Maybe I am being defensive, I just think it is taking the piss a bit now.

Part of me thinks if he played for man u or Chelsea he would not get half as much grief, how many would disagree? This then leads me to think of an agenda.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
As rash as Fellaini's challenge is, the free kick was actually given for the shirt pulling Allen was doing on Fellaini before that Gif started.

Why the foul was only called when Fellaini had cleaned him up is beyond me though.
I'd have smacked him in the first 15 minutes and took a card. I cant stand him he cheats and uses his height and runs all over people and uses his arms to stop people jumping up for headers. He is a total freak even if he had an acceptable haircut rather than looking like a bogbrush.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Tee hee and then boo hoo,

It went Mcmahon, then Hamann, [have I missed anyone] but after that we havent had a tough player. Lucas tried and did his knee doing it.

Fellaini was what caused us problems - no-one knew how to deal with him. I would have thought it was quite easy - get underneath him and lose him his balance. I think he cheats a lot.
Sissoko.

When he was on his game he'd dominate the entire opposition midfield on his own. I remember him absolutely destroying Lampard and particularly Ballack when we played Chelsea one time.

He was ace for us, miss having someone like that in the midfield for certain games.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Sissoko.

When he was on his game he'd dominate the entire opposition midfield on his own. I remember him absolutely destroying Lampard and particularly Ballack when we played Chelsea one time.

He was ace for us, miss having someone like that in the midfield for certain games.
Yes, very true. But then sometimes we had first touch problems.

I cannot believe I have forgotten one of the best, who's name I dont like to mention, he hurt me that much when he left..............

Mascherano - he was best in the league at it for a season. But then he could talk himself of the pitch.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
I thought Suarez was incredibly S.T.U.P.I.D. for raking Distin's leg on purpose...totally unneccessary and he was asking to be sent off.

You sometimes have to wonder what the hell goes through his head at the best of times..
After watching the replay I don't believe it was on purpose - and his reaction afterwards showed a general concern for the player..........not the actions of a thug.

He tries to gain every advantage he can on the pitch but I don't think he intentionally tries to hurt people.

Of course I could just take the easy option side with the rest of England and say he's a racist, a cheat, a thug and a thief.........
of course it does seem ironic when, people from England are some of the most racist people I have met - and I say that with the note that most of my family are English......

Gears

TIA Regular

That's because the referee was willing to let the play go on. Shelvey would have done the business on fellaini imo

Gears

TIA Regular
Yes, very true. But then sometimes we had first touch problems.

I cannot believe I have forgotten one of the best, who's name I dont like to mention, he hurt me that much when he left..............

Mascherano - he was best in the league at it for a season. But then he could talk himself of the pitch.
I'd argue that Sissoko was better than Mascherano. Sissoko tackles cleaner, did not get needless red cards, has a better engine, could intercept the ball and provides height. But having an argentinian international in the team versus someone who plays for mali? For a spanish coach, it's a no brainer.

FreakLFC

I can't believe we got robbed so late on during the game. Everton was never gonna win it and they never deserved a draw even. But well, thats life. We gotta live with it.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
I can't believe we got robbed so late on during the game. Everton was never gonna win it and they never deserved a draw even. But well, thats life. We gotta live with it.
Sure we should have won, except for a bad decision - but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they didn't deserve a draw - they came back into the game well - and to be fair made it a physical battle and put enough pressure on us that Sahin and Suso were relatively ineffective and forced us into a change to combat that.

It wasn't pretty but credit where it's due.......

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
(...)

Suarez needs to keep his head down until the public and the media gets bored. It's the only way out this.
You're very optimistic on this. I think there is no way out for him until he leaves the country (where he probably would experience similar controversy btw.). Why? Because he can't help himself to put himself in the spotlight, for the good reasons, and also for all other kind of reasons. Luis is just like that and I'm convinced that no-one will change him.

Hansen said something else during that MOTD2. He said that due to Luis being such a controversial personality, Liverpool supporters will always love him, while all other fans will always hate him. That's spot on imo.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Hope, at some point another pantomime villain will come up, and the spotlight will move on.

You know what fucks me off the most though. The twisted hypocrisy of the press when it comes to cheating. Moyes talked about players 'conning their way to results'. Forget about the Neville dive. What about three defenders successfully appealing to a linesman to chalk off a last minute winner they know isn't offside. Not a fucking dickybird in the papers.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Hope, at some point another pantomime villain will come up, and the spotlight will move on.

You know what fucks me off the most though. The twisted hypocrisy of the press when it comes to cheating. Moyes talked about players 'conning their way to results'. Forget about the Neville dive. What about three defenders successfully appealing to a linesman to chalk off a last minute winner they know isn't offside. Not a fucking dickybird in the papers.
I hope you're right, mate. But it will really need something special to take the limelight away from him.

Fully agree with you about the hypocrisy though.

Moyes saying Suarez should have been sent off after stepping on the heel of Distin, but conveniently forgetting about Fellaini doing a similar thing during the same match, which he could have been sent off for as well. Speak about 'conning your way to a result'... :unsure:

But the media will always focus on Suarez and scrutinise each and every of his moves, because he's the easy, bright target now. He holds that official villain role within the league, and as said, it will take something special to take this monkey off his back now. I wouldn't be overly surprised btw. if that linesman hadn't said by himself that he wanted to give a lesson to that racist Uruguayan cheater when he lifted that late flag...

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Would be absolutely annihilated. Very little tackling/defensive ability in that trio.
No they wont, sahin next to shelvey with suso ahead of them would be able to out play most teams. And they would all three be a goal threat unlike the midfield you had set up.
But it's most likely yours we'll see happen, so lets see how it will fare. The first game with lucas and Allen in the midfield was absolutely terrible tho, guess it can only get better.

Anfield rd Dreamer

No they wont, sahin next to shelvey with suso ahead of them would be able to out play most teams. And they would all three be a goal threat unlike the midfield you had set up.
But it's most likely yours we'll see happen, so lets see how it will fare. The first game with lucas and Allen in the midfield was absolutely terrible tho, guess it can only get better.
Think you misunderstood their point that midfield wouldnt have anywhere near enough defensive stability its our 3 worst midfielders when it comes to defensive capabilities.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Think you misunderstood their point that midfield wouldnt have anywhere near enough defensive stability its our 3 worst midfielders when it comes to defensive capabilities.
Lucas would be at the base of our best middle three to provide that stability; until he's fit again why not Hendo? He's bulked up a lot from last season and could provide some much needed bite in midfield. If he could reinvent himself as a DM (a la Lucas), that would be sweet and also save us cash in the transfer market.

RedSeven

On the one road
I hope you're right, mate. But it will really need something special to take the limelight away from him.

Fully agree with you about the hypocrisy though.

Moyes saying Suarez should have been sent off after stepping on the heel of Distin, but conveniently forgetting about Fellaini doing a similar thing during the same match, which he could have been sent off for as well. Speak about 'conning your way to a result'... :unsure:

But the media will always focus on Suarez and scrutinise each and every of his moves, because he's the easy, bright target now. He holds that official villain role within the league, and as said, it will take something special to take this monkey off his back now. I wouldn't be overly surprised btw. if that linesman hadn't said by himself that he wanted to give a lesson to that racist Uruguayan cheater when he lifted that late flag...
Unfair as it is ,our luis will never loose the villain tag while in england.The type of character he is and the scrapes he gets into would mean another player would have to pretty much do something terrible every game in order to take heat of him.
Other managers as well as players probably don't think that bad of him as they would know even their own players/teammates do things very similar to luis and as such would see it as part of the modern game(rightly or wrongly).But they speak about the things he does in order to influence the FA and the refs(again,rightly or wrongly).

After his dive celebration the other day the media tried to get something started but as even Moyes seen the funny side of it they couldn't really push the issue.If Moyes had complained about that, the media would have been all over it and this would have added to his villainous personna because other supporters would have lapped that shite up.

Hope in your heart

Admin
(...)

After his dive celebration the other day the media tried to get something started but as even Moyes seen the funny side of it they couldn't really push the issue.If Moyes had complained about that, the media would have been all over it and this would have added to his villainous personna because other supporters would have lapped that shite up.
Yup, imagine if he had done it in front of Ferguson. We'd have heard about it until next May I think, with the FA looking to fine or even ban Luis for it or something...

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Forget his name, but the Scottish Chelsea journalist who appears on 5Live said he was fine with it, because there is such a thing as 'moral justice'....yet he was waxing poetic about Drogba last May.

To be fair, that whole panel was laughing at the brilliance of Suarez's shallow dive celebration.

RedSeven

On the one road
Lucas would be at the base of our best middle three to provide that stability; until he's fit again why not Hendo? He's bulked up a lot from last season and could provide some much needed bite in midfield. If he could reinvent himself as a DM (a la Lucas), that would be sweet and also save us cash in the transfer market.
That is probably the direction we will take for hendo in the long run.He has a great engine and he can play a bit,his problem lies elsewhere.He needs to assert himself a bit more,take a risk on a pass,put the boot in occassionally.He played a game(can't remember which one) a few weeks ago and he got stuck in to challenges.I'd like to see more of that from him.If he can bring a bit of bite into his game along with the passing ability and engine he has he could end up becoming a very good player for us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Preaching to the converted here mate been saying that about Hendo since Chelsea at end of last season.

For me you have 3 columns for the midfielders and although all our mids are fantastic some are better at some things than others:

Defence-----Passing-----Attack
Lucas-------Allen--------Shelvey
Henderson--Sahin-------Gerrard
Allen--------Suso--------Sahin
Gerrard------Gerrard-----Suso
Sahin-------Lucas-------Allen
Shelvey-----Henderson--Henderson
Suso--------Shelvey-----Lucas

Well thats how i see the ranking at least.

Gerrard, Allen and Sahin is our current first choice midfield as its 3 of our 4 best passers our 3rd 4th an 5th best defensively and our second best attacker in there so ticks lots of boxes.

If Lucas was fit theyd probably sacrifice Sahin and a bit of the passing to become more defensively solid but we seem hesitant to do it over Henderson although he has the potential to become every bit as good at passing as any of the others he just needs a run of games in my eyes.

But to be honest Im generally very happy as we have the best midfield group we have had in the modern day.

Gerrard, Masch an Alonso was a better starting group but we had very little cover then.

RedSeven

On the one road
Yup, imagine if he had done it in front of Ferguson. We'd have heard about it until next May I think, with the FA looking to fine or even ban Luis for it or something...
I would love to see him do that in front of old whiskey nose.Fergies head would have exploded.But again ,behind closed doors he would probably have seen the funny side of it,but in public he has to keep the eye on luis and off his own cheating players.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Haha the anger over Gerrard comparing Evertons style to Stokes seems quite funny when you see the "long ball table" as composed by stat maniacs. 1st Stoke, 2nd Reading, 3rd Everton.... 19th Liverpool and 20th Swansea!!!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Gerrard, Masch an Alonso was a better starting group but we had very little cover then.
So you mean Lucas is not a good cover back in the days those 2 and Gerrard has a cover back then too, we always have cover back in the days, adequate. What do you mean had very little cover? We are facing that issue far more than we had back then. Keane and then Babel/Kuyt/Benayoun who can all slot into the attacking midfield or supporting striker.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Haha the anger over Gerrard comparing Evertons style to Stokes seems quite funny when you see the "long ball table" as composed by stat maniacs. 1st Stoke, 2nd Reading, 3rd Everton.... 19th Liverpool and 20th Swansea!!!
Funny, I did not think he was talking about the passing...