POST MATCH discussion: Everton 2-2 Liverpool

Arminius

FSG PR plant
A little disappointed that we were denied the win, but in the grand scheme of things, we started 3 teenagers, Everton had us on the ropes and then we fought our way off - using squad depth and sound tactical adjustment. That will forge a better team.

As for the Bitters, all I can think is 'is that all you have got?'. Supposed in form, veteran team playing against kids, home crowd, and they still needed the ref to save them a point.

a0001matt

TIA Squad Member
I suppose when one considers that Everton were playing their usual mugs and thugs and we fielded a side with less derby experience the result wasn't entirely unfair.

Like others have said, this season is an exciting, yet, painful learning curve. Fortunately we have the quality to grow from matches like this.

Dane

NEXT!
All in all cant complain about this result.
Most of us would have settled for a point yesterday.
Poor decision robbed us of the winner, but swings and roundabouts really (Remember Rodwell last season anyone?).
This constant stream of the 'poor me's' is becoming embarrassing I have to say.

Brave decision to start with so many youngsters, and in hindsight Shelvey and Henderson may have been better equipped to handle the physical nature of the game.
Whether we'd have managed to go 2 up with them starting is all hypothetical though.

Agree with soziookonmische to an extent, the frequency we resorted to long searching 20-30 yard upfield passes was more suited to having the player up front who Rodgers and many fans have declared unsuitable for his "system".
Whether that was just the players on the park lacking the confidence to play short sharp passing and possesion game, or on instruction from the manager, we'll never know.

Jones weak clearance certainly contributed to their first goal, and Suarez didn't look remotely tired.

2-2 was a fair result, and one that I'm reasonably happy with.

T.C.B

Off topic I know but the Ref is just ensuring that the Mancs get their win at Stamford Bridge. Sent Torres off for diving when replays show he was clipped, Hard to have sympathy for him though. Just feel its only a matter of time before Luis suffers the same fate sadly.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Man of the match: Brendan Rodgers

agree.. Brendan Rodgers halftime adjustments should of won this game... He changed the momentum to us in the 2nd half with his tactical changes. I do wish he would of brought on Assaidi for Sterling though in the 2nd half. I believe that kid deserves to be rewarded for his play.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I don't think Jones even once passed it to the defenders to start the play

that's because he is incapable of doing that... in pre season it was clear to me jones can't do that.. he is also very scary with balls in the air coming into the box

Schudelfufli

Banned Users
I thought we hit them on the counter to perfection. On two occasions, Shelvey and Gerrard dribbled themselves out of a break on their own.
Yeah, we countered well. I just don't think that should have been our strategy. Maybe if we had been down a man. But with a level game and 11 men, we should have set out to hold onto the ball and slowly break them down. Shouldn't have been hard as they weren't intent on doing anything other than breaking at pace. We made it easier by giving it to them at the halfway line or closer far too often.

Anthony

From ESPN
The Merseyside derby -- which ended in a 2-2 draw at Goodison Park -- generated enough talking points to fuel pub discussions for days. The first half was a crackling affair in which Liverpool got on the board twice before Everton tied the match before the break. The second half, on the other hand, is more of what we've come to expect from this derby, a cagier affair that devolved somewhat into a battle for each side trying to get the other carded, the crowd baying for blood with each tackle and foul.

So, without further ado, the highlights.

1. Be careful what you say
In the buildup to the match, David Moyes was taking jabs at Public Enemy No. 1, Luis Suarez. Well, if anything, the Everton manager's harsh words helped wind up Liverpool's striker -- as if Suarez actually needs any more winding up on the pitch. He created the first goal when he fired the ball into the box, which ended up deflecting off Leighton Baines for an own goal. This prompted one of the more memorable scenes from the match, as Suarez raced over to the touchline and did a mock dive right in front of Moyes. (Ironically, it was one of Moyes' players, Phil Neville, who would end up getting booked for simulation.) Suarez followed that up with another goal, and also scored at the death, or so it seemed, only to see the goal disallowed (more on that below). All in all, Suarez stood up to the pressure of the occasion.

2. Lopsided on the left
One of the clear battles that Everton was winning in this match was down the left. Every time Kevin Mirallas got the ball, he was able to trouble stand-in right back Andre Wisdom. At 19, Wisdom was filling in for injured Glen Johnson, though questions will be asked as to whether Brendan Rodgers should have opted for more experience in the position, perhaps with Jamie Carragher, and especially given that five of his players (three of them teenagers) had never played in a Merseyside derby. Another, perhaps bigger, issue was Raheem Sterling's booking in the 29th minute. It pushed Suso to the right flank, and his inability to track back gave Baines and Mirallas tons of space to exploit and double team. Everton fans, meanwhile, know that if Steven Pienaar was able to play -- he was serving a ban for a red card against QPR -- the Toffees would have really run riot down the left. As it turned out, Mirallas went off at halftime with a knock, and Rodgers' reshuffling of his back line, going to a three-man defense with Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Sebastian Coates (on for Nuri Sahin), restored a semblance of balance.

3. The controversial call
The most contentious part of the match weren't the fouls -- referee Andre Marriner did a good job at not being overzealous with the cards, especially in the second half -- but the disallowed Suarez goal. After Leon Osman crashed into Steven Gerrard, Liverpool had a free kick. Gerrard sent the ball into the box, where Coates headed it down to Suarez, who scored. But as he took his victory lap, the sobering reality for Reds fans emerged: The linesman's flag had gone up. Was Suarez offside? Replays show he was onside, so if that was the decision, it was a terrible one indeed. Did Coates foul in the box? Hard to tell, but it would be a harsh call, and certainly one that will have most Liverpool fans calling foul.

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
What a damn surprise. Man united just scored an offside goal to beat Chelsea 3-2 and we score a legit goal and its flagged. Bullshit.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
At 19, Wisdom was filling in for injured Glen Johnson, though questions will be asked as to whether Brendan Rodgers should have opted for more experience in the position, perhaps with Jamie Carragher[.]
:shock:

Anthony

Off topic I know but the Ref is just ensuring that the Mancs get their win at Stamford Bridge. Sent Torres off for diving when replays show he was clipped, Hard to have sympathy for him though. Just feel its only a matter of time before Luis suffers the same fate sadly.
I have been watching this game and the officiating is atrocious.......all 1 sided decisions against Chelski. ManU's 3rd goal was offside and the sending off of Torres was laughable

T.C.B

I have been watching this game and the officiating is atrocious.......all 1 sided decisions against Chelski. ManU's 3rd goal was offside and the sending off of Torres was laughable
Yep

Not a surprise really. I cant stand Chelsea but they have been hard done by there today. Torres was clipped down the calf and got a 2nd yellow for simulation. The winning goal was offside and its given. No doubt there is a bias towards the Mancs, its getting more blatant by the game.

jabu

TIA New Signing
We had it bad by the ref as usual, but Chelsea jus got a%% ra%%ed by the refs

coughing

Where's Steve Finnan?
About to say the same thing, something really should be done about the officiating, if all of us (Chelsea, Arsenal, City and ourselves) complain in unison the FA must take action against this incredibly biased shit. Sure to the outside Suarez may be unlikable, but even if he has a reputation, a legit goal is still a legit goal, and the fuckers up there dont seem to grasp this.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Rodgers showed he can play something other than 4-3-3, very astute - the match was great, enjoyed it, Suarez celebration was a stroke of genius as was his play thorughout the whole game. Was proud to see him in a red shirt and glad he refrained from diving around and acting like a tool.

Bring on Newcastle, we're building up a head of steam...

Toby

TIA Youth Team
Yep

Not a surprise really. I cant stand Chelsea but they have been hard done by there today. Torres was clipped down the calf and got a 2nd yellow for simulation. The winning goal was offside and its given. No doubt there is a bias towards the Mancs, its getting more blatant by the game.
One can almost go to any court in any country and prove the case of MATCH FIXING with video tape.

okocha10

Football Master
How can someone be so stupid to say it was a foul?! How can a linesman see that 30m away from the incident and Mariner who was 5m from there didn't see it?! Linesman was signalising offside!

Btw i just saw that fixed match in London, the ref was outstanding. He did everything fergie asked him to do!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I am much more confident about the rest of the season after seeing that second half performance. In the first half we tried to play our game but Everton were just too strong for us. We don't have a monopoly on being able to press all over the pitch. The kids in the team played like kids and it was all a bit too much for them. Above all we were far too open. Big gaps all over the pitch and zero protection for the CBs. I feared for us at half time.

BR got the second half tactics just right. Sterling off Suarez gave Everton something different to think about. The extra body at the back stifled Everton. We finished the game stronger and should have won, although to be fair a draw was probably the right result.

I think BR is more pragmatically minded than many think. Anyone who thought he came here after one season in the PL with all the answers is dreaming. He's learning just like Suso, Sterling and Shelvey are learning as players. I really liked the set up in the second half. We are actually very well equipped to be a good counter-attacking side. Lots of technical ability allied with a fair amount of pace. Having a few extra tricks up our sleeve will make us less predictable and more of a threat.

It was a fantastic effort. If any of them were tired after playing on Thursday I didn't notice it. Suarez was back to his brilliant best but I also thought Skrtel, Agger and Allen were absolutely immense.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
How do you even think to make that call? What the hell is the linesman looking at. What could he possibly have seen there, he's on by a good yard. Coates is a yard on, and Suarez is a yard on. What a fckin call that is. ROBBERY that is.

Fck spending in the transfer market, lets take 20 mil and ship it to the FA. HERE YA GO LADS, GET US IN THE TOP 4 NOW YA MORONS.

Toby

TIA Youth Team
How do you even think to make that call? What the hell is the linesman looking at. What could he possibly have seen there, he's on by a good yard. Coates is a yard on, and Suarez is a yard on. What a fckin call that is. ROBBERY that is.

Fck spending in the transfer market, lets take 20 mil and ship it to the FA. HERE YA GO LADS, GET US IN THE TOP 4 NOW YA MORONS.
FSG needs to bring in some Las Vegas sluts and have them give blow jobs to all of the refs and linesmen before a game. If they give us a fair break on the pitch, allow the Las Vegas sluts to lay them. It is like a line in the movie Producers, who do you have to fuck to get ahead? All we want is a FAIR shake.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
i would see the match in 2 parts:
Part one: We played fantastic in the first half of the first half and then we let our emotions take over and let go the 2 goal lead.... ok i'll categorise the first goal as a allen deflection but still when the keeper clears there has to be somebody there... suddenly after the first goal the body language changes... they attack more and we give them spaces... this is NOT expected...
Part two: the ref part, well i'll take it as bad luck... but m proud of this team.... there is a certain pleasure i get watching this team... the paSSING, the pace, the flow. just feel something is round he corner. i wont talk about the ref but still we need to keep the tempo

and last: for the players: sterling should have scored that one in second half... enrique welcome back... coates was good too... but suarez u r a beauty.... u gave moyes a taste oh his own medicine... i wish every manger risks provoking you.... and such hypocrites should be taught a lesson this way! cheers folks... lets keep walking

neochronic_x

TIA Youth Team
this would be two points we should have had, that we would be counting at the end of the season. we were lucky at times but bad refereeing cost us this match

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
FSG needs to bring in some Las Vegas sluts and have them give blow jobs to all of the refs and linesmen before a game. If they give us a fair break on the pitch, allow the Las Vegas sluts to lay them. It is like a line in the movie Producers, who do you have to fuck to get ahead? All we want is a FAIR shake.
Guess that was what Man U and the Glazers did. The win against us and Chelsea today surely shows the refs and linesman on their sides.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Excellent performance from the lads, also from Rodgers - brilliant tactical shift at half time - took big balls to take off two players like that, can't remember anything similar.

Heads up to Skrtel, Sterling and Suarez - top banana lol

funkynoise74

The part that still gets my bloody boiling is Jones' punch for the first goal. He was going backwards yet still manages to punch the bloody ball towards the edge of the box!!!!! It takes some skill to do that. That just handed the momentum back to Everton.

Anfield 2007

Just seen this video on youtube. http://youtu.be/C06Juoka_Yw

Freeze frame it at 26 seconds. Look at the six yard line and focus on the left leg of the defender nearest to Coates.

It shows clearly that Suarez wasn't even just level. Luis was about 1- 2 yards onside!!!!!

Someone has suggested on here that the linesman bottled it cos of the pressure he received from Osman and the Everton fans beside him.

Case proven it would seem.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
For me the question is really simple. Do FIFA/UEFA/The FA want games to be settled on the basis of correct results or not. If the answer is not, then they just need to keep doing nothing.

Nobody is telling me in that situation, when a 'goal' has been scored and the ball is dead, the referee can't get some help. By the time the players had finished celebrating you could have had a second opinion from a fourth official watching a delayed feed.

The goal today was ruled out by a weak man buckling under pressure. He didn't wave offside until Osman, and 20,000 Evertonians, told him to.
He'll probably be punished by the FA, but they are more culpable for not ensuring that the game is played with every chance of the right decisions are made.

Tennis, Cricket, Rugby. The list of sports that have embraced technology to correctly settle decisions goes on and on. The more football consistently puts human beings in the position of having to make split second decisions on one viewing of an incident taking place at speed, more pissed off I get with it, and the more I wonder if it has any basis being called a sport at all.

I'm sick to the fucking back teeth of platitudes like 'we didn't deserve it anyway' or 'these things even out'. We've had more than our share of last minute sucker punches, and we know better than most that you have to look at our own failings in these circumstances. I don't give a fuck if Everton 'deserved' to win. You might as well decide football matches with a panel of judges in that case. I care about the correct results according to the rules of the game. So should the authorities and week after week, month after month and year after year they fail to act.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
this would be two points we should have had, that we would be counting at the end of the season. we were lucky at times but bad refereeing cost us this match
Not to mention what a win would of done for us going forward, especially right at the end of a match. Undefeated after the last international break. Onwards and upwards.