• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-match discussion: LFC - Aston Villa 2 - 2

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
So, is defense and a DM important Brendan?
That's why this game may end up costing us a top-4 spot and Luis's departure.
EDIT: I was not kidding when I said this was a 4-1-5 set up.
Amateurish to do this in the PL or in modern football anywhere.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Disappointing starting line up from Rodgers. This was being discussed in the pre-match thread for a week now. Everyone knows the counter attacking threat posed by Villa.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
Reality check for everyone saying we were going to put 8 past them... So frustrated with Rodgers for tinkering and ruining our first half. He has to take full responsibility for two points dropped that could be very important.

No more 4 attacking players. It doesn't work, never under his tenure here. Please stop.

Mignolet howler as well. If we make top 4 I honestly would consider replacing him - we can do better.

lfc.8

Abject performance. Tactical naivety. Poor team selection. Just shows how average our squad truly is. Simply not good enough.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Have to say fair play to villa ... they put us under massive pressure with almost every pass and did so for the whole 94 minutes, that's why there were so many poor touches and passes, everything done in a rush. We really needed a player who could just calm the game a bit and find space on the ball when needed. Thats a player we could do with but I'm not sure any of the players other than Mata are in that league.

Disappointing to drop two points, but Villa earned that draw, make no mistake about it.

gb1986

Disappointed, some players had off days, but it was a poor selection from Rodgers so the buck lies with him. Glad he saw the issue and tried to fix it at half time though.

But that's a massive 2 points dropped in the scheme of things, Villa have been poor recently and they absolutely dominated us in the first half, looked like they were the home team.

Thought we were unlucky not to win it in the end, on a different day we might have.

kopite1982

Whats happening to mignolet?? At this rate we need a new back six !!

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Stupid tactic of having Gerrard as holding midfield costed us the game. Not only it costed us the midfield in 1st half, but Gerrard failed at close up his players twice led to both goals. Not his fault of course, he is not an CDM.

Aston Villa played for a draw and the fucking ref just let them wasted time as they pleased. Lucas was down injured and got treatment on pitch and we couldn't even have the full 4th minute.

Wasted two precious points which right now literally will throw us out of top 4. Why can;t Roger just stop experimenting and keep what worked?

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Very poor in the first half. A point is better than nothing considering we could have lost this match. Hopefully we see the end of Stevie G playing a deep role.

Colin

TIA First Team
LFC-Orlando said:
So, is defense and a DM important Brendan?
That's why this game may end up costing us a top-4 spot and Luis's departure.
I dont wana hear this crap. Every single game we drop points is apparently exactly this.

GAMES LIKE THIS are why we might miss out on our goals and lose Luis. We need to stop these types of results. Every team, City included, will have a few. We just have more of a propensity for it.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
I'll say the unpopular statement...but Gerrard is not a DM and I think it is time for him to take up a role as an impact sub.

I love Stevie as much as anyone, but we have had a static DM for some time and need to add a more dynamic player in that spot.

LFC7NH

gb1986 said:
Disappointed, some players had off days, but it was a poor selection from Rodgers so the buck lies with him. Glad he saw the issue and tried to fix it at half time though.

But that's a massive 2 points dropped in the scheme of things, Villa have been poor recently and they absolutely dominated us in the first half, looked like they were the home team.

Thought we were unlucky not to win it in the end, on a different day we might have.
He should have fixed it much sooner than that though... it was so obvious it was screaming for someone else to get in the middle. Should have made a change at the 25th minute and maybe not have conceded those two goals.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Defense is poor. Toure was picking crickets from the grass. Cissokho was lets put it subtly poor. We seriously need a DM. And we fucking need to sort out our defense. Lucky to get a point today.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We could well end this weekend hanging on to 6th only on goal difference, and I am afraid that is down almost entirely to Brendan's decisions.

I hope the discussions with Henry over the weekend are focused on squad requirements in this transfer window. Any discussion of a contract extension is premature. That Villa game was the same error of hubris that handed them 3 points last season.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Disappointing to drop two points at home. Damage was done in the first half, much better in the second but just lacking a bit of quality to win it. Surprised that a manager so obsessed with possession football would pick a team like that, and he paid for it ultimately. We desperately need more quality in the fullback areas, Cissokho is nowhere near good enough, and Johnson is a shadow of the player he was. Also I think that puts to rest the notion of Gerrard as a DM for now. Now we need to hope people drop points tomorrow and Monday. Luckily, motivation should come much easier for the next home game.

Got my piece out of the way early, enjoy all the knee-jerking in here lads. I'm off for a pint.

brush85

Pretty much every weakness we have, was highlighted today in the brightest way. And the scary thing is that if Aston Villa can exploit it, then someone else will be able to as well.

The derby next week is massive now...even bigger than it was already going to be.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
We now have the real Coutinho, not the flash in the pan we had last season. Talented as he is, one word describes him, inconsistent.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Might have been able to get away with that in the Evans era but not now

Thing is we can't afford to screw up another campaign with shit like this costing a top 4 slot. And it will

Brendan needs to shut the fuck up taking about our tactical set ups in the weeks before games. Stop giving opposition gaffers a head start for fucks sake. It's fucking naive and just not good enough

As are a few of our players. I hate the lack of quality in our back 4, rubbish full backs and our refusal to properly strengthen the midfield. We don't make an attempt in the market this January to have a go at solving at least one of these issues then I will be severely pissed

Only thing we learnt from last year is to make changes a bit earlier. Though arguably even that was too late, it might have avoided a defeat. But this sort of thing is why I get frustrated with this team. Over confidence in the press and amongst the supporters, inability to play our cards close to the chest because the manager is a fucking gas bag and players losing their composure far too easily as a unit. Cost us more vital points. Annoying :(

It's like we think we can play players in new positions overnight, put lots of responsibility on players maybe a bit young for it (sterling, Coutinho as well maybe) and get away with playing talentless weak links because we won't or can't buy in better (Cissokho? He does try but, lets just be blunt for a change, he's shit). It's not gonna measure up

Claymenza

The problem is Rodgers can't justify keeping lucas at all. He's not good enough to start ahead of allen, and he gets paid too much to be on the bench. There are no other clubs looking for his services.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
An injury to Lucas will certainly expedite the purchase of a DM in this window. I also believe we can now certainly expect a LB purchase.

If we are going to make a run in of worth towards the CL, squad depth and improved first XI skill need to be addressed.

On the note of this match, Rodgers needs to recognize that every team is fighting for survival in the league. There are something like 12 teams within 3 points of relegation. There will be no easy matches and we have to come to play each week.

I expect there to be some other top 7 teams that get turned over in coming week, but we can't depend on it.

Sterling and Henderson were our standout players. Villa CBs marked out Sturridge and Suarez quite well. All in all a fair result.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Hope in your heart said:
Fair result. Both teams had their half.
Nope. Not a fair result. We should be much better than them.

I second Rich's view on Rodgers going about telling everyone what he is going to do with the team, and did exactly that. I think the less he reveal about what he is planning to do the better. Lambert put out the right tactic against us. Clear cut, the way to beat us is rushing us with pacey players. Martinez surely going to take note.

First half was fucking awful. We hardly string a few proper pass and main culprit were Henderson and Coutinho up top. Every time the ball goes up to the attacking player, they lose possession, and that is when we are trying to push up. We also do not have a cool head, ball playing goal keeper, who has the ability to pick out a player with his clearance. So route one long ball game is out of the window there, even though we have Sturridge who could hurt them. As seen against Stoke, lump the ball up and one of our strikers will force an error from the defenders.

We were out played in the first half, at our own backyard, at our own game. Poor,very poor.

Colin

TIA First Team
kipland007 said:
Reality check for everyone saying we were going to put 8 past them... So frustrated with Rodgers for tinkering and ruining our first half. He has to take full responsibility for two points dropped that could be very important.

No more 4 attacking players. It doesn't work, never under his tenure here. Please stop.

Mignolet howler as well. If we make top 4 I honestly would consider replacing him - we can do better.
Whilst im not one for losing faith in keepers after a few bad games I'm VERY concerned about his clear problems in the air. I've noticed this from very early on. His distribution is poor also.

Whilst i think he's a great shot-stopper he definitely needs to improve and fast. If not, you're right, he'll have to be replaced in the summer. At this level no team can afford constant errors. Let's hope he gets his confidence back though.

slufsar

Rodgers needs to take full blame for this.

If you want to slag off Cissokho, Johnson or Mignolet after such an elementary mistake like that by Rodgers, I simply dont acknowledge your excistence.

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
Abject team formation cost us the 3pts, that was very poor tactical setup from Rodgers. The players appeared disoriented in the first half.

Toro

Florida Red
Fair result. We were poor for long stretches of the match. Still could have won it though.

Skrtel/Toure can't be our preferred option. Mignolet needs to get it sorted. Lucas is still important.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
Claymenza said:
The problem is Rodgers can't justify keeping lucas at all. He's not good enough to start ahead of allen, and he gets paid too much to be on the bench. There are no other clubs looking for his services.
Wow, that's the problem?

Not our manager's inability to tactically set up to prevent almost every team from scoring at least twice against us? I saw the goals/game conceded and I believe it's the worst or 2nd worst now in years.

What that does, and when our non-existent midfield is outnumbered, we don't score more than the opposition. Brendan's approach is to just outscore everyone. In all honesty, he invested in defenders last summer but we've been unlucky with Sakho's, Daniel's and Jose's injuries. But Brendan and his coaches are supposed to get us organized to defend. They look worse than a pub-team's defense.

So the link goes back to our defensive midfield abilities and the simple number of midfielders. We are almost too predictably outnumbered in the mid-field by most. And when our offense struggles, conceding 2 or 3 leads to dropped points.

Colin

TIA First Team
Claymenza said:
What?