• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match discussion: Liverpool vs Everton 0-0

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Strange derbie. No real passion, only three yellow cards (and no red), no goals, and everyone on the pitch seeming happy after the match.

MoM probably Gerrard, with several great long passes and two blocked shots which could have gone in.

Take it away, lads. Was it worthwhile to watch this game of football today?

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Should have sent Fellani off for 8 elbows in one game.
Long ball team Everton should be ashamed of their thuggery.I do not know why Skrtel came on when we needed a win.

Both sides were poor. Everton perhaps unlucky to have that goal disallowed but so were we when Suarez's was incorrectly ruled offside. Can only remember a couple of good chances we created and besides Gerrard and Coutinho in the 2nd half nobody else really seemed up for it.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Hope in your heart said:
Strange derbie. No real passion, only three yellow cards (and no red), no goals, and everyone seeming happy after the match.

MoM probably Gerrard, with several great long passes and two blocked shots which could have gone in.

Take it away, lads. Was it worthwhile to watch this game of football today?
totally wasted my time....

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Wasn't a great game seemed to be an end of season thing for us, don't think we played well enough to win, as for the goal yeah it wasn't a goal however as we were denied a win from a perfectly good goal in the last match then it has even itself out in the two matches.

As for Skrtel coming on well I think it was to push wingbacks and we looked comfortable at the back once we had him on, however the issue was they didn't push forward.

RMP

TIA First Team
Stayed up all night in anticipation of a great match. I'm not even quite sure why we even have a post match thread :confused:

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Lucas or Allen said:
Should have sent Fellani off for 8 elbows in one game.
Long ball team Everton should be ashamed of their thuggery.I do not know why Skrtel came on when we needed a win.
come, allow me to explain for BR....he probably thinks that skrtel is able to give that match-winning header against fellani and jelavic and distin...

kwala

TIA Regular
Tight game that, Everton defended well and largely nullified our attack, but we still had the chances to score, couple of great blocks, and howard did well against Sturridge. They should have had a goal though, defending deadballs is a real weakness for us, it needs sorting out for next season.

Fair result. No european football next season.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Downing slipped back into old habits, was non-existent for long periods. Enrique tried the right things, but it just wasn't his night and it seems like every time he tried to be even a bit creative he'd end up giving the ball away. Our lack of options on the bench highlights our depth issues.

Gotta hand it to Everton, well organized and defended well. They've had the 5th best defense in the league this season so far.

I was hoping for a 2-1 win, but I'm really not surprised in the least by the 0-0 draw.

Hope in your heart

Admin
kwala said:
Tight game that, Everton defended well and largely nullified our attack, but we still had the chances to score, couple of great blocks, and howard did well against Sturridge. They should have had a goal though, defending deadballs is a real weakness for us, it needs sorting out for next season.

Fair result. No european football next season.
That was a given since quite some time. One positive I'd put forward though, is that we looked a bit more solid on set pieces during the second half (apart from that disallowed goal which would have been declared ok by most PL refs, let's be honest), while we were awful in the first.

Agree that it is a fair result. Everton came looking for a draw, and they got it. Pretty solid team at the back.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
The game falls flat, and it's pretty much ended our chances to finish 6th.... or theirs to play in Europe.

Well unless Westham can manage a draw, and Chelsea fight for their life. Otherwise season ends today

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
The worrying fact is without Gerrard we'd have been truly anonymous today. a very passionless derby though - kind of surreal! Coutinho was our other bright spot today, the rest were just going through the motions. Sturridge was abysmal today, very frustrating! Glen made some really sloppy errors and gave possession away too easily, Enrique defended well but offered nothing going forward. Carra and Aggs did ok(ish).
Gerrard was immense, Henderson was decent and we looked worse when he went off. Was Coutinho our only shot on target in the 2nd half?.
Not much of a chance of overtaking the bitters now, ah well, fair play to them the table doesn't lie.

0-0 was about right.

Off to watch someone's interim manager now!

steve10

TIA New Signing
Fair result for 2 poor teams. No quality on show apart from Gerrard. Everton defended well.

Cannot understand the logic in taking Hendo off for Borini or bringing Skrtel on. Johnson and Downing were very poor on the right. Sturridge needs to learn that this is a team game and pass the ball.

Hope in your heart

Admin
TFC said:
Downing slipped back into old habits, was non-existent for long periods. Enrique tried the right things, but it just wasn't his night and it seems like every time he tried to be even a bit creative he'd end up giving the ball away. Our lack of options on the bench highlights our depth issues.
We had Suso on the bench though. His trickery and vision could have been useful. BR has gone from being a very adventurous gaffer, throwing youngsters in all the time, to a downright coward lately. But who knows, there is a maybe a given points amount he has to reach in order to avoid the sack...

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
Never Say Never said:
That was about as exciting as a cricket match.
Watch the IPL on ITV4 and tell me cricket is boring. Everton came to spoil and timewaste, did anybody see them take throw ins as slow before. 11 more years of that shite with Moyes for the bitters PLEASE....it was turgid stuff. Enrique Gerrard and Coutinho only bright spots...2 more games and its a proper full pre season, with no Euro footie, our league form has to improve next year

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Pretty disappointing game a few patches where we made some effort to get on top of them but it looked like two teams with little to play for just going through the motions for the most part.

They set up for a point and got what they wanted and we didn't try hard enough to break them down.

lfc.8

Another game which just shows a distinct lack of quality. Downing and Henderson poor. Enrique while not his greatest performance was generally ok in defence. Sturridge lacked a little composure at times.

Midfield and forward line need massive improvement if we're going to reach the top 4 next season.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Boring, boring, boring. I guess having a Derby this late in the season with little to play for is to be expected, still.

Just not enough quality in the final third. We created a few good chances but Distin or Jags defended really well. I thought we played too fast, too many long balls trying to get at them quickly when a could have played a few safe passes in midfield to find our rhythm then speed it up after our confidence was high. Sturridge was selfish today, see he can be too selfish in fact I see his attitude against Newcastle as a one off. This is the complaint that Chelsea had with Daniel, he looks to score first even if others are in a better position for a pass. Coutinho keeps threading balls to him yet he won't do the same for him! Twice the Brazilian was making a great run ahead of him and he instead passed it back or delayed and shot himself. Suarez is guilty of the same at times but he creates so many for others that we can forgive him but he too needs to learn to pass to others even if they have the confidence to do it all themselves. If Rodgers can get those two to learn to trust their teammates then we'll really be free scoring and fun to watch. Right now its all very inconsistent, one week we're great and others its just blah.

Today was blah.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Hope in your heart said:
We had Suso on the bench though. His trickery and vision could have been useful. BR has gone from being a very adventurous gaffer, throwing youngsters in all the time, to a downright coward lately. But who knows, there is a maybe a given points amount he has to reach in order to avoid the sack...
I gotta disagree mate. I really don't think Suso would have made the difference. Theres a difference between being adventurous, and just doing things for the sake of it - sure lets just throw Suso in there, just because he might do something. Might as well throw in Shelvey and Assaidi as well. I can't believe you'd actually call that being cowardly, but I guess thats something rather expected nowdays.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Too weak on the whole. If people like Fellaini are taking liberties either sort him out or pressure the ref to take a closer look. Our pansies did nothing about it. Piss mentality really

And having downing and Henderson as our leading wide men screams out 'MEDIOCRITY' in capital letters. Henderson gave to a bash but clearly is out of position, downing just vanished in the second half. Again. So tired of him and his automatic place but you see nothing but a clearly unrated Assaidi on the bench and you just think 'why'...the sub said it all for me

Gerrard the only one to offer consistent flashes of quality, Coutinho fleeting, Sturridge hit and miss, as he can be. But his and their stats will add up n the whole, unfortunately elsewhere in the team that simply won't be the case for too many of them

The defence was...ok I guess,not comfortable but did just enough at their end, full backs defended ok but going forward, how stupid was some of their play? Again, simply the quality just ain't there. Reina, Carra, Agger ok. Lucas did enough defensively but again seems not the player he was, slow on the ball and in general. Less clumsy in the tackle today though fortunately

Borini is just shit slow. Tries hard but for a young player his pace or lack of it will severely hinder his career

Effort was borderline acceptable but Quality and 'mongrel' just not there in this team. Explains another finish below the individual capabilities of certain team members along with mentality

Everton came with rather unambitious tactics but they generally tend to work against our soft centred bunch (keep it tight at the back and use the set piece to attack our soft centre), it half worked for them and lets face it they weren't arsed, a 0-0 is just fine for their purposes

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Poor game, we did make an effort but the quality wasn't there to break through. On the other hand we defended well for the most part, there seems to be some slight progress in that area.

Gerrard was man of the match by a mile while Coutinho had another very good game. Contrary to them Sturridge was abysmal, putting in the exact kind of performance that his detractors use to slate him.

Rodger's subs were unispired to say the least. All in all not good enough.

Hope in your heart

Admin
TFC said:
I gotta disagree mate. I really don't think Suso would have made the difference. Theres a difference between being adventurous, and just doing things for the sake of it - sure lets just throw Suso in there, just because he might do something. Might as well throw in Shelvey and Assaidi as well. I can't believe you'd actually call that being cowardly, but I guess thats something rather expected nowdays.
Well, we had several attacking options on the bench, named by BR before the match, thus deemed good enough. Apart from Borini, BR didn't use them, despite us needing a win (that draw doesn't help us in any way, shape or form).

So yes, I'd call it cowardly, please you or not.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
liverpool_singh said:
Hang on there. We could still win the fair play league. No wonder we only conceded 1 yellow card. ;-)
We need a terrible outbreak of red cards in Norway, Sweden, and Finland....are we getting desperate?

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Hope in your heart said:
Well, we had several attacking options on the bench, named by BR before the match, thus deemed good enough. Apart from Borini, BR didn't use them, despite us needing a win (that draw doesn't help us in any way, shape or form).

So yes, I'd call it cowardly, please you or not.
It'd certainly be more brave than bringing on skrtel.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hope in your heart said:
While I share your concern, that was not a game for Suso. He would have struggled to find much space, and probably would have been given a rough welcome. He needed more playing time earlier in the season if he was going to be at his best in a derby.

Reactions: TFC