• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match discussion: Liverpool vs Everton 0-0

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
We didn't try hard enough to win this.........we could have maybe tried throwing everything including the toilet seat and bucket at Everton..but simply didn't.

I don't know if this was a plan B..since it didn't deviate from Plan A...but it failed.

One point does nothing for us.

And yes, I am sharon stone's cousin.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Hope in your heart said:
Well, we had several attacking options on the bench, named by BR before the match, thus deemed good enough. Apart from Borini, BR didn't use them, despite us needing a win (that draw doesn't help us in any way, shape or form).

So yes, I'd call it cowardly, please you or not.
Had we done that and they scored off one of the many set pieces they had to close out the match, I have no doubt that you wouldn't be praising Rodgers for bringing in the kids.

But I guess thats how things have gone this season. Lets all grasp at reasons to complain.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Arminius said:
While I share your concern, that was not a game for Suso. He would have struggled to find much space, and probably would have been given a rough welcome. He needed more playing time earlier in the season if he was going to be at his best in a derby.
Well my point wasn't only about today's game, but more generally about this last couple of months. If Suso wasn't right for that match, why was he on the bench then? And he wasn't the only option today. Assaidi and Shelvey were other attacking options.

Why Sterling doesn't get a sniff anymore is beyond me as well to be honest.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
i have to praise BR for his game-changing substitutes....He brought in Borini and Skrtel to beef our attack in all possible ways .Due to Borini's excellent technical skills, we were able to allow Everton more possession in our half but not letting them score one at all....His substitution of skrtel for downing into the game is also a masterstroke, by doing that, it will allow borini more time on the ball by lessening his defensive responsibility and probably out jump fellani!

His gameplan is also avant-garde with this new version of zonal Marking in set-pieces, pinging long balls to borini whose pace is arguably the top 10 fastest in the entire liverpool team...

How i wish we can have Ashley williams as well in the club to replace carra...it would yet be another transfer masterstroke by Brendan! I am so excited about the club being able concentrate on the Capital One Cup, FA Cup and the fight for Top 10 next season!

In Brendan I trust!

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
The Newcastle game illustrated what we are capable of doing to a team with a disorganised defence, and this one what we are incapable of doing to a team with a well-drilled defence.

Let's face it, the bitters have been the better team again this season and with much inferior transfer funding to boot. Their squad as a whole has been hungrier, better organised and better motivated than ours for two seasons now.

How did we arrive at this point? Poor transfer dealing (well duh!) and the inability of successive managers to consistently get the best out of their players is how. I'm not having a go at BR per se, just commenting on the on going problem. I hope transfer targets in the summer will be considered on the grounds of their character as much as their ability.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Being honest about it think our bench is there for window dressing purposes only. Majority of players I suspect are just there to make up the numbers, the manager clearly isn't keen on most of them

And also I think Rodgers has also lost his nerve r.e. the academy products. But it's no different from pretty much every other manager we have had since Evans unfortunately. Oh well, least there are no outright Voronins any more I guess but of they were there they may be coming on and doing nothing. Seems to be feeling that way a bit. Deja Vu

Borini I guess was our premier bench option and while not lacking effort the fella is to me of the slowest 21 year old strikers I have seen, it's concerning. Like a poor mans Hernandez

Hope in your heart

Admin
TFC said:
Had we done that and they scored off one of the many set pieces they had to close out the match, I have no doubt that you wouldn't be praising Rodgers for bringing in the kids.

But I guess thats how things have gone this season. Lets all grasp at reasons to complain.
Because you really think that replacing Downing with Suso, Shelvey or Assaidi would have done any difference on a defensive set piece?

But ok, let's all hold hands and chant together: all is well and there is nothing to worry or complain about (never mind discussing things).

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Hope in your heart said:
Well my point wasn't only about today's game, but more generally about this last couple of months. If Suso wasn't right for that match, why was he on the bench then? And he wasn't the only option today. Assaidi and Shelvey were other attacking options.

Sterling picked up a thigh injury. They said in April they were going to be cautious with it and he wouldnt' be training for a few weeks before reassessing.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
RichLFC said:
Too weak on the whole. If people like Fellaini are taking liberties either sort him out or pressure the ref to take a closer look. Our pansies did nothing about it. Piss mentality really

And having downing and Henderson as our leading wide men screams out 'MEDIOCRITY' in capital letters. Henderson gave to a bash but clearly is out of position, downing just vanished in the second half. Again. So tired of him and his automatic place but you see nothing but a clearly unrated Assaidi on the bench and you just think 'why'...the sub said it all for me

Gerrard the only one to offer consistent flashes of quality, Coutinho fleeting, Sturridge hit and miss, as he can be. But his and their stats will add up n the whole, unfortunately elsewhere in the team that simply won't be the case for too many of them

The defence was...ok I guess,not comfortable but did just enough at their end, full backs defended ok but going forward, how stupid was some of their play? Again, simply the quality just ain't there. Reina, Carra, Agger ok. Lucas did enough defensively but again seems not the player he was, slow on the ball and in general. Less clumsy in the tackle today though fortunately

Borini is just shit slow. Tries hard but for a young player his pace or lack of it will severely hinder his career

Effort was borderline acceptable but Quality and 'mongrel' just not there in this team. Explains another finish below the individual capabilities of certain team members along with mentality

Everton came with rather unambitious tactics but they generally tend to work against our soft centred bunch (keep it tight at the back and use the set piece to attack our soft centre), it half worked for them and lets face it they weren't arsed, a 0-0 is just fine for their purposes
Agree about Fellaini, we should have let the ref know what he was doing or get pay back when we had an attacking set-piece.

Borini is quicker than Henderson and isn't afraid to shoot unlike Jordan. Henderson wasn't very good in helping Enrique out either so I can understand the decision to take him out but Downing needed to be taken off early too. We just don't have the quality on the bench to replace them otherwise both would have been off.

Hope in your heart

Admin
TFC said:
Sterling picked up a thigh injury. They said in April they were going to be cautious with it and he wouldnt' be training for a few weeks before reassessing.
Was unaware of this. Cheers for the info!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hope in your heart said:

No argument here, that is my single greatest complaint about Rodgers this season, or at least December forward. We have climbed up the table, but have nothing to show for it, and have all but stopped dedicating playing time to young players from the turn of the year.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Hope in your heart said:
Because you really think that replacing Downing with Suso, Shelvey or Assaidi would have done any difference on a set piece?

But ok, let's all hold hands and chant together: all is well and there is nothing to worry or complain about (never mind discussing things).
Discussions usually involve at least some reasoning Hope, something beyond "He should have, because not doing it is cowardly!". Throwing a 19 year old into a tough 0-0 derby, just because. I'm not saying lets hold our hands together and chant, I'm just saying lets at least try to be reasonable people. Thats the kind of thing guys like Colin were saying last season.

I think that Skrtel is better on set pieces than Suso, Shelvey or Assaidi. I think its fairly reasonable to assume we were safer during those Baines crosses into the box with Skrtel helping Agger and Carra, than we would have been with Suso/Shelvey or Assaidi.

If you think thats not a good reason, then lets discuss it. Do you really think that Skrtel isn't an improvement on set piece defense than Suso, Shelvey or Assaidi?

DEVGRU

Question. Would you think Fellani is 'liverpool quality' to play in the center of the park for us?

Just asking for opinions.

S

showmethemoney

Disappointed. Sat in the blazing sun, being bombarded with dive bomber flies to watch that!

Anyways....shites have or are going to finish above us in consecutive seasons, so congrats to them for that.

My one question I & the other lads I watched that with is this:

As we all know, the KnowFA are very much into their retrospective bans...so Mr. Fellini.

Three elbows to the face that I saw.

Any action by the spineless fuckers?

I think not.

DEVGRU

showmethemoney said:
Disappointed. Sat in the blazing sun, being bombarded with dive bomber flies to watch that!

Anyways....shites have or are going to finish above us in consecutive seasons, so congrats to them for that.

As we all know, the KnowFA are very much into their retrospective bans...so Mr. Fellini.

Three elbows to the face that I saw. Any action by the spineless fuckers?
Knowing how they treat us on a consistent basis..probably not.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
SUPER PORK CHOP said:
Question. Would you think Fellani is 'liverpool quality' to play in the center of the park for us?

Just asking for opinions.
of course no....allen is way better than him...after all, allen is the welsh Xavi.....

Hope in your heart

Admin
TFC said:
(...)

If you think thats not a good reason, then lets discuss it. Do you really think that Skrtel isn't an improvement on set piece defense than Suso, Shelvey or Assaidi?
My point was that we should have done everything to win it, instead of maintaining the 0-0. Not doing so was an act of cowardice imo. At this stage of the season, we had nothing to lose, but much to gain from throwing everything forward.

And I repeat that my criticism wasn't only about today, but about the last months, or indeed the full latter part of the season as Arminius said above, regarding playing youngsters. He has gone for a few points more in the table, sacrificing regular development of our younger players for it. That's something which displeases me utterly, to be fully honest with you.

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
Never Say Never said:
That was about as exciting as a cricket match.
That's weird. Had a dream last night that I went to a Liverpool match and they were playing cricket instead. Not kidding.

Gears

TIA Regular
showmethemoney said:

Three elbows to the face that I saw.

Any action by the spineless fuckers?

I think not.
I don't think any amount of whinging this year or any time in the last decade will get the fa to look at fellaini's thuggery. He's like this all the time not just against us.

I remember a long time ago, referees put a blacklist on peter crouch who racked up countless fouls for extensive use of his arms in the world cup. Long ball tactics no longer worked.

This brings up the recurring argument for a midfield enforcer to be brought in during the summer. A long time ago, gerrard used to bully the midfield but he no longer has that attitude. I don't expect lucas or Henderson to have the aggression to handle the likes of fellaini.

if we're getting manhandled, why not put someone tough on top of him?

charleslee89 said:
of course no....allen is way better than him...after all, allen is the welsh Xavi.....
And he has Swansea experience

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Hope in your heart said:
My point was that we should have done everything to win it, instead of maintaining the 0-0. Not doing so was an act of cowardice imo. At this stage of the season, we had nothing to lose, but much to gain from throwing everything forward.

And I repeat that my criticism wasn't only about today, but about the last months, or indeed the full latter part of the season as Arminius said above, regarding playing youngsters. He has gone for a few points more in the table, sacrificing regular development of our younger players for it. That's something which displeases me utterly, to be fully honest with you.
Well I agree with you in regards to the last months. Especially in the Newcastle match, I didn't express it here but I was frustrated it that it took him so long to bring the kids on. And it extends to other matches as well. Since the arrival of Sturridge/Coutinho some others have lost opportunities they were getting previously, and its a bit frustrating.

I think Skrtel was an offensive weapon as well. When we brought Skrtel on it was just as Gerrard was crossing a set piece into the box - I think Skrtel is an improvement over the 3 you mentioned in terms of being able to score (and defend) set pieces. Even though on paper it was a negative substitution, during that period of the match most of the chances (for both sides) seemed to be coming from set pieces and corners so he could have had Skrtel's heading ability in mind when making the change.

I was thinking that maybe we should have brought Shelvey on, he's a tough son of a bitch (although he hasn't been at his best lately) so I don't have worries about him playing a derby, but I think that it was reasonable (and not cowardly) not to use Suso because of the nature of the match.

DEVGRU

Just don't think we did enough to actually try to win this.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Gears said:
I don't think any amount of whinging this year or any time in the last decade will get the fa to look at fellaini's thuggery. He's like this all the time not just against us.

I remember a long time ago, referees put a blacklist on peter crouch who racked up countless fouls for extensive use of his arms in the world cup. Long ball tactics no longer worked.

This brings up the recurring argument for a midfield enforcer to be brought in during the summer. A long time ago, gerrard used to bully the midfield but he no longer has that attitude. I don't expect lucas or Henderson to have the aggression to handle the likes of fellaini.

if we're getting manhandled, why not put someone tough on top of him?

And he has Swansea experience
Which is also a winning mentality! lol
SUPER PORK CHOP said:
Just don't think we did enough to actually try to win this.
how dare you question the Great Brendan Rodgers who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as some famous liverpool managers??? :p

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
charleslee89 said:
how dare you question the Great Brendan Rodgers who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as some famous liverpool managers??? :p
Very funny ever thought about becoming a comedian.... maybe this and attitutudes like it are exactly the reason why Srktel is brought on, I've seen the trolling of John W Henry even after victories, I was slightly puzzled with Srktel but at the time I thought 3 at the back with the wing backs creating though it might have been to shut up shop.

Our defence on the long ball was a hell of a lot better than it has been all season, I remember the defence against Villa we gifted them chances. Our passing wasn't great and I think that cost us, we had chances and Sturridge should have scored but in the end it was a fair result, we also set up differently at set pieces not sure why we have someone on the front and not the back post though we looked better.

Henderson was dreadful with his touch but I know like the whole team we can play better and I'm sure we will. We have competed with all the teams in the top 6, though we've won one we've had chances to win or at least get something in all of them (bar the Arsenal one which we were dreadful). Also pleased in recent weeks of Reina and his command in the box plus his distribution sadly some didn't match his ambition.

Anyhow No one ever says Brendan Rodgers is the savior or as great as the other managers but nethier do I believe on not giving managers with talent the chance, he has talent, he also needs to learn but he is learning every day and has been since his Watford days, I would have liked to be higher, lifting cups and being the Liverpool of old but that wasn't to be, if he was a "Championship" manager (and I actually find that quite disrespectful) then we would be shrugging off a draw this afternoon, we would be needing the points to stay in the Premier League.

Anyhow back to the match some positives, nothing really to write home about but we could have won it, we could have lost it just hope we win our remaining two, I was at Craven Cottage yesterday and Countinho would have loved it.

OhYaBeauty

charleslee89 said:
Alright. You've had your fun. We get it, you're being sarcastic.

Now be a good little boy and tone it down. Its gotten tiresome.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
The Bitters clearly set out for a draw today- these kind of games need an early goal to open things up.

The most frustrating thing for me was Sturridge, his movement and pace is excellent, but then when he gets the ball he seems to freeze mentally - there was a couple of times when he could have played Coutinho back in but he chose a senseless shot instead.

As for Coutinho, well he is just magical. What a catch he is.

Glad for Carra finishing his last derby with a clean sheet.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Where the hell is Sterling?He should be coming on as a impact sub not Skrtel.

Love watching Coutinho.Having him on one wing and Sterling the other would be nice to see.

JackleCube

I've put my world renowned paint skills to good use to fully demonstrate the general consensus post-match:

S

showmethemoney

Brendan Rodgers is spot on. We are not just a one man team.

First off that is disrespectful to our opponents.
Secondly, maybe Agger, Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard ect would disagree with the sentiments that LFC are a one man team.

I wonder if we were a one man team when we played & slaughtered Newcastle 6-0 in their own yard last week?