• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match discussion: Liverpool vs Everton 0-0

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Lucas or Allen said:
Where the hell is Sterling?He should be coming on as a impact sub not Skrtel.
Recovering from a deep thigh injury

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
mattyhurst said:
Very funny ever thought about becoming a comedian.... maybe this and attitutudes like it are exactly the reason why Srktel is brought on, I've seen the trolling of John W Henry even after victories, I was slightly puzzled with Srktel but at the time I thought 3 at the back with the wing backs creating though it might have been to shut up shop.
It's an extremely sad day/very telling of our situation if we have to shut up shop against the bitters at home.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Lucas or Allen said:
Where the hell is Sterling?He should be coming on as a impact sub not Skrtel.

Love watching Coutinho.Having him on one wing and Sterling the other would be nice to see.
Apparently he has a thigh strain.

Skrtel was a good move imho - it allowed Enrique to play higher up the pitch and he was looking dangerous until Moyes put Fellaini on him.

Never Say Never said:
It's an extremely sad day/very telling of our situation if we have to shut up shop against the bitters at home.
Just as well that wasn't the case then lol

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
shit game, even shittier streaming, fair result. and my baby girl still not keen on showing up. she may have felt her daddy wasn't in the best mood...

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
From the looks of things... BR was bluffing, he wants to get into europe via fairplay. And todays game was evident. Merseyside derby without a red card? without a penalty?! please!

S

showmethemoney

Jack le Cube said:
Ease up, it was a joke, more of a laugh at bad timing in the press.
Fair enough mate. :)

But taking you out of this for a moment, Brendan just seems to be a very soft & easy target.

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't you know?

JackleCube

For sure, he's been unfortunate all season with timings - most of our players have been for years now too, talk of European places followed by humbling defeats to bottom half opposition. Today's game was a bit drab, but the seasons been pretty much over for a while now, so I just try and take it game by game and at least get some enjoyment out of it, regardless of what happens on the pitch - when you're fighting below where you want to be, you've at least gotta try an get enjoyment out of some aspects.

Obviously today wasn't great, but it's gotta be better than losing a vital game when you're still fighting for something - I've become very philosophical about it all recently, because I was getting too frustrated every time we failed to turn-up and perform.

Last week was brilliant, but the two games before that were 0-0, and today's game was 0-0, we played well against Newcastle, but it's also quite clear that they were just dreadful.

I'm just looking forward to the start of next season now, first time I've looked forward to season in a while, with more than just hope, with genuine expectation - if we can build on signings like Sturridge and Coutinho then there's no reason we can't have a really good go next season - I'd imagine if the season started at Christmas, we'd be right up there, but given our season before Christmas, there's nothing to play for this year, and that showed today.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
One of the worst derbies I've seen. They're never great games technically but at least they usually have intensity. This had a real end of season air about it. I thought Everton were shocking. It was further proof that Moyes has a massive inferiority complex about us. I really thought they'd go for it but they seemed content to contain and try for something from a setpiece. They could still have qualified for Europe but they seemed more intent on getting a point and finishing above us which they obviously regard as an important achievement.

Coutinho was excellent. His pass to Sturridge five minutes into the second half was one of the passes of the season. Shame Sturridge fucked it up. He was terrible today. I do rate him but his shooting was dreadful, he was slow and indecisive and lacked awareness of players around him. Gerrard was superb. Fantastic work rate and long range passing.

I wouldn't have taken Henderson off. When Coutinho went wide left it was easier for them to close him down and he drifted out of the game. Skrtel was a strange one but it was good to see him on the pitch. I'd almost forgotten he still played for us.

Shit game but the shittest thing about it was hearing the Everton fans singing 'Always the victim', especially after the pre-match 'thanks' mosaic on the Kop. A minority of fans, maybe, but a very vocal minority. The sort of thing I'd expect from the Mancs but not from fellow scousers. Just sad.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
showmethemoney said:
But taking you out of this for a moment, Brendan just seems to be a very soft & easy target.

And then people wonder why he's reluctant to throw kids in. And call him a coward while they're at it.

Lucas

Interesting to see Rodgers shifted to 3 at the back to press on, hope to see that happen more often.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
showmethemoney said:

I like Rodgers but he brings a lot of it on himself by his constant talking to the press about anything that's in his mind at any given time. If he could refrain himself when faced with a camera evrey now and again he wouldn't put himself in positions to be damned either way.

S

showmethemoney

schmee said:
I like Rodgers but he brings a lot of it on himself by his constant talking to the press about anything that's in his mind at any given time. If he could refrain himself when faced with a camera evrey now and again he wouldn't put himself in positions to be damned either way.
Experience and time should resolve that matey.

Hope so anyways. :)

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Never Say Never said:
That was about as exciting as a cricket match.
Only to those who don't understand cricket and its subtle nuances

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
A pretty boring game as a while. We had a couple chances to score but a mix in bad decision making and a lack of concentration by mostly Sturridge in our attack. First game where I saw a glimpse of him hogging the ball where he could've made a decisive pass instead of shooting.

Our movement and passing in the attacking third lacked any cut for the most part.

On the plus side we defended well against a physical side who were living on the long ball as if their lives depended on it. It made it difficult to catch them out and to spread the field.

This is the types of games Andy Carrol would be really useful to have. A big strong target man against a physical side.

The referee should've sent Fellani off multiple times, the elbows he was throwing would've given Ong bak a run for his money.

We got lucky with their disallowed goal and its just another reminder how we need more quality in our attacking line up, if we can't take our chances we'll keep getting punished, the anxiety runs through the team and belief slips.

I don't see purpose in Borini and I'm always the first to back our players when they aren't doing great but I just don't see potential for him to be a success, he's too lightweight with not enough strength in his hustle to play the way he does, he's a lower version of a Dirk Kuyt.

In all honesty even though Everton sucked, they got robbed a cheap victory. Hope BR views this honestly, as a defeat and fix the attacking side to add some extra strength and quality.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Le_hunt said:
shit game, even shittier streaming, fair result. and my baby girl still not keen on showing up. she may have felt her daddy wasn't in the best mood...
Enjoy it for what it is - it will likely be about a decade before she leaves you alone for the derby again...

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Ultmately, we got away with a draw - just as they did at Goodison.
Near the end of the match, the commentator mentioned that if we had won this, we would go 2 points behind.
Can you imagine that? If they loose another game (or at least draw), and we win, then we go above them.

If Brendan had mentioned this at the start then the players took fuck all notice.
If he mentioned this at half time, thne they simo,y cluld not be arsed.billy
If Brendan failed to menton this bit of trivia to his charges, then he's an even bigger bellend than any footballer who thinks he's Billy Big Bollox after signing his first big contract.

IMO, I'll be glad when Martin Kely is fot for the start of the next season.
He's a far better right back than Johnson will ever be.
I would even have preferred Flannagan thee today.

Glennis was particularly annoying today, with his pissy little passing, and his 'whatever' attitude.
Perhaps he could be moved to the wings - probably his natural position.
Lucas Leiva has provided little protection for the back four for a long time.
I think that of we can get Diame from West Ham for 3-5 million, then he'll just scare off opposiion forwards by looking at them.

And yes, Sturridge was poor.
He's got a good records against Everton, but today, he looked half-arsed.
I'd love Xabi to come back and be Jan Molby mark II (slimline version).
We'll have Raheem Stirling back - he'll be of votong age next season, so hopefully, raring to go after a good rest.
Assaidi may get more of a look in.

Onwards and upwards.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
BhupendraS said:
Ultmately, we got away with a draw - just as they did at Goodison.
Near the end of the match, the commentator mentioned that if we had won this, we would go 2 points behind.
Can you imagine that? If they loose another game (or at least draw), and we win, then we go above them.

If Brendan had mentioned this at the start then the players took fuck all notice.
If he mentioned this at half time, thne they simo,y cluld not be arsed.billy
If Brendan failed to menton this bit of trivia to his charges, then he's an even bigger bellend than any footballer who thinks he's Billy Big Bollox after signing his first big contract.

IMO, I'll be glad when Martin Kely is fot for the start of the next season.
He's a far better right back than Johnson will ever be.
I would even have preferred Flannagan thee today.

Glennis was particularly annoying today, with his pissy little passing, and his 'whatever' attitude.
Perhaps he could be moved to the wings - probably his natural position.
Lucas Leiva has provided little protection for the back four for a long time.
I think that of we can get Diame from West Ham for 3-5 million, then he'll just scare off opposiion forwards by looking at them.

And yes, Sturridge was poor.
He's got a good records against Everton, but today, he looked half-arsed.
I'd love Xabi to come back and be Jan Molby mark II (slimline version).
We'll have Raheem Stirling back - he'll be of votong age next season, so hopefully, raring to go after a good rest.
Assaidi may get more of a look in.

Onwards and upwards.
Now that's what I call a whinge - even better than RichLFC :D

alaskared

Kloppite
relieved for once that I didn't wake up at 4:30 am to watch, maybe 11 minutes of highlights on the LFC site will be plenty.....

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
A lot of half arsed performances there today. Gerrard our best player by a mile. What the fuck is Downing? No really what is he bar 20Mil down the pisser?
Coutinho has quality, hopefully he bulks up a bit because he will be out muscled against sides like this next season. Sad day for Carra, thanks for the memories Jamie. Its a fucking shame you never one the big one but we'll never forget Istambul and how you put your body on the line.
I thought Lucas wasted too much possession and still looks sluggish after his recent injuries. Some players never recover from bad injuries, I hope Lucas isnt one of them.
Today confirmed 7th place for us. 50Mil spent to more or less stand still. I dont think Brendan bought well in the summer. Borini and Allen were poor signings the former in particular. No way is he a 10Mil player and was money wasted. Whatever money he gets this summer he needs to spend it better. We need a powerhouse pacy striker, a quality wide player, a defensive midfield player and a dominant centre half.

Sweeting

I thought it was quite an enjoyable 0-0. Bit unlucky not to get the win.

Hope to see some youngsters involved in the last couple of games now.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
lfc.8 said:
Another game which just shows a distinct lack of quality. Downing and Henderson poor. Enrique while not his greatest performance was generally ok in defence. Sturridge lacked a little composure at times.

Midfield and forward line need massive improvement if we're going to reach the top 4 next season.
Downing and Henderson both provided a clear reality check they need gone with in the summer.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Wow Everyone on here nearly wants Hendo out, he was one of our better players today and as soon as he was subbed we didn't create fcuk all down the left or anything else anywhere. Poor game but it is season over now let's hope br brings in Coady teixteira and ibe for the last two and see how they do at this level. Fulham is next I think which will be hard as they are looking over there shoulder re relegation so we need to be up for it and hopefully we can see if the young ones are up to it.

BR subs were mad today and I hope he learns from it. If in doubt sub downing first not Jordan
Johnson was terrible today as well maybe he is gone on holiday or something but he should get dropped for that performance. Give flanno or wisdom a run.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
grenadier said:
You can't have watched the same game I did. Henderson looked like real quality to me.
Henderson is all heart, he is improving but he lacks the real quality needed in that area he is playing. For me his only future at the club is providing depth for central midfield where his energy and commitment could be used to win the ball back. Certainly not in any advanced position where guile or technique is required to unlock defences.

Whats your definition of real quality? 100% effort is the minimum required to wear the jersey. Showed a few ok touches, a good run and one good pull back to Gerrard apart from that he had no impact really. Thats not real quality. Real quality was the ball Coutinho threaded in for Sturridge.

Just re:Downing just runs down the flank and turns in on his left, i want him out the door and replaced with someone that can deliver more than a few goals and assists.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Thought the match disappointed, typical merseyside derby. Yes fair enough the deliver drama and talking points but generally the fail to deliver any quality. I'm sure most derbys are the same but it seems that the merseyside derby is riddled with it!

I woudl be up in arms about the refereeing decision that ultimately cost them the game but as someone pointed out we were robbed at Goodison so for the conspiracy theorists and the FA are against us bloggers please take note that generally what goes around comes around and human error is not pre mediated and it happens from time to time.

Enrique had a poor game by his rceent high standardsalthough someone should have been on the end of his ball he played across the face of goal. Downing was very poor, Lucas is imrpoving and getting his passing range better tuned, Gerrard was man of the match especially in that first half, two of his cross field balls were world class and if Sturddige's decision making was a touch better we could have been 1 or two up before Distins goal came about.

Carraghers use of the ball was sloppy and tired and i'm glad he has decided to call it a day because i'm not sure he could handle it next season. He was solid in there but his usage was disappointing esp towards the end when we needed our possesion to amount to something.

So 7th for the seaon, a position better, acceptable form in second half of season with maybe one or two many draws. Definitely soemthing to build on next season.

YNWA

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
showmethemoney said:
Experience and time should resolve that matey.

Hope so anyways. :)
Well, it seems that BR is spouting so much nonsense at times that he really look like a court jester...

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Henderson is ok-ish by his standards but has not shown much of a quality needed...but borini is dirk kuyt mkII and at least kuyt has the positional awareness to be at the right place at the right time..

TheSweetSilverSong

Hmmmm, I got this all wrong for this game.. I expected a whole load of goals and to ultimately win, and there were no goals whatsoever and draw...

Disappointing game.

A few players had a bad game and it was quite crucial, along with Everton's attitude - I should have known, only needing a draw to secure 6th would mean playing for a draw, but I thought since it's the derby they'd be motivated to win (but we weren't, so why would they?)

Looking ahead...

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
TheSweetSilverSong said:
Hmmmm, I got this all wrong for this game.. I expected a whole load of goals and to ultimately win, and there were no goals whatsoever and draw...

Disappointing game.

A few players had a bad game and it was quite crucial, along with Everton's attitude - I should have known, only needing a draw to secure 6th would mean playing for a draw, but I thought since it's the derby they'd be motivated to win (but we weren't, so why would they?)

Looking ahead...
Everton is not secured in 6th, in fact, they would have wanted to win because Europa League for 5th placing well within their reach so they would have wanted to win. With this draw, they are still ahead by 5 points but they can throw 6th placing away by losing against Chelsea and drawing against West Ham, so they will need 2 points at least from these 2 games to be secured in 6th, provided we win our last 2 games too. So I must say, Everton, though may be happy with a point would have been motivated to win against us.

Sweeting

Henderson's shit again now is he?

For fucks sake, can't be doing with the opinions of some in here.

Watched the game with an Everton fan, he spent the match marveling at how good Gerrard and Henderson were, constantly impressed with Henderson energy and ability.