Post-Match discussion: Man Utd v. LFC 1-0

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
That hurts as we were the better team all in all, but hopelessly harmless in front of goal, and conceding a stupid goal from a corner (again)...

There are signs though that we are on the up again after that complete trash of a performance last week-end. At least the lads gave it their all, and when Suarez gets a bit more match practice in his legs, we'll be a threat again.

We have now the league to concentrate on. Let's make the best of it.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I've no complaints tonight - I thought the team put in a good shift and had Utd pinned back for a lot of the second half. Certainly no drop off, which is nice to see - I just hope we don't pay for it against a Sunderland side we should really be smashing.

The goal is a massive error by Enrique, who is either brilliant (as he was up to that point) or utterly shit.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Dublin_Kopite said:
I would personally rest half the starting XI for this as the league is the priority:
Gerrard, Lucas, Agger, Enrique and Sturridge would all sit this one out for me!
Should have put out a second string team!
At least no distractions for a few weeks.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I certainly don't feel too downbeat tonight after that. We played well, passed well, and Suarez looked decent.

Like the formation too. Thought the players looked a lot more comfortable with it. Frustrating goal to concede but not much else majorly wrong. Just lacked that cutting edge.

Walter Sobchak

Some consolation in seeing how pleased Moyes seemed. The scum were quite shit, our lads far better. If stealing a crap win makes Gollum happy then IMO those shits are on their good way to sink further down the toilet. ManUre will not make top 4 this season. You heard it here first, on the QT and very hush-hush.

Bubbler

ianrush said:
awful performance... :huh:
Thought we played well, Man Utd there for the taking at times, not ruthless infront of goal, and a fully fit suarez it would have been a different result.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
If it wasn't to THEM I wouldn't be as mad, I'd be gutted to be out the competition obviously but we played well so there's promise there but the fact we get a smug Moyes and their vile supporters acting like they've turned things around makes me feel sick!

Talksport actually said towards the end of their commentary that Man U deserved to win it!

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
The Capital F Cup - FRUSTRATION!!!

Decent enough performance without the right result.

Good game though. Shame about their foul mouthed fans!

Hope in your heart

Admin
Dublin_Kopite said:
Should have put out a second string team!
At least no distractions for a few weeks.
With hindsight, you were correct, mate. All of them were flat, apart from Enrique.

MoM on the Liverpool side for me: Kolo Touré.

Reverse

TIA Reserve Team
Why did Kolo Toure play the last 20 mins at attacking mid? Alberto was on the bench. Even Sterling gets a game at attacking mid ahead of him.

Toro

Florida Red
rupzzz said:
I certainly don't feel too downbeat tonight after that. We played well, passed well, and Suarez looked decent.

Like the formation too. Thought the players looked a lot more comfortable with it. Frustrating goal to concede but not much else majorly wrong. Just lacked that cutting edge.
Agreed. They certainly weren't better than us. We messed up on a corner and that's that.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we played their second string and looked average at best.

Would have been useful for Suarez to get 90 minutes under his belt though.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Bitterly disapointed with the result but encouraged by the fact we kept going for 90 minutes and played well overall. Sadly we missed a few chances.

brush85

Did everything but score...shame to lose but the performance compared to Saturday was night and day.

Ataturk

★★★★★
We played well, didn't deserve to lose for me. Just that strange mistake from Kolo to give away the corner cost us. Also, if Suarez had've been sharper we might have equalised. Encouraging after the woeful performance against Southampton.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
AnfieldCat said:
If it wasn't to THEM I wouldn't be as mad, I'd be gutted to be out the competition obviously but we played well so there's promise there but the fact we get a smug Moyes and their vile supporters acting like they've turned things around makes me feel sick!

Talksport actually said towards the end of their commentary that Man U deserved to win it!
Not a chance, Utd we're very lucky. The just had that bit of attacks quality that you need to snatch a half chance in a game like this.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Hard to not be happy with the effort put in.

Just that bit of luck (at times) to deny us a goal or a booster-type victory. Yet, however ManU did play many second teamers (plus Giggs at 40 y.o.) and still won. A mix of good and bad for me.

Didn't really like the Kelly (for Lucas) sub in all honesty, as that meant 5 defenders for us. Surely that bit more ambition was called for in a really tight match. Can't really fault the effort, but it was almost-quite, but not there yet stuff mostly.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
decent perfomance... wanted to see how the SAS would turn up to... they were ok... still need work to do...

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
Next game on Sunday against Sunderland and our first XI played full 90 minutes on Wednesday for nothing.

A team that looks knackered in the second half usually is going to get destroyed at the Stadium of Light. I'm not usually a pessimist, but this was useless.

Gerrard, Lucas, Sturridge... these players should all have been nowhere near this game.

t34m43

How long till Coutinho is back?

Seriously there was a lot to take from the game today and I thought we played well. Lets be honest though the problems are same old, same old for Liverpool. Still shit from corners both in attacking and defensive terms. Still dependent on a few players.

Hope in your heart

Admin
cardiffpete said:
(...)

Didn't really like the Kelly (for Lucas) sub in all honesty, as that meant 5 defenders for us. Surely that bit more ambition was called for in a really tight match. Can't really fault the effort, but it was almost-quite, but not there yet stuff mostly.
Yup, I'd have expected Alberto to come in for Lucas. Seems like if BR wants to see the whole bunch of his CB's at the same time on the pitch. Go wonder why...

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Played well but a bit rusty and creaky up front. Sturridge is definitely not fit and needs to be rested. Moses was ineffectual and Luis was just warming up. Midfield ran out of steam after half time but some great performances. Toure, Skrtle, Enrique and Sahko put in a real shift. Mignolet was terrific and Gerrard did his best to feed balls upfield with little help from Hendo or Lucas

alphakilo

TIA Regular
AnfieldCat said:

Let them take in the illusion. This United is not Fergie's United. When they crumble, it'll be an even longer way to fall.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
At least we looked purposeful when we went forward, we actually got men into the box and there was always some support for the attack.

Clutching at straws but at least it's something. Back 3 looked good too.

If we take that positive approach into the sunderland game I'll be much happier. If we keep playing like we have been, I'll be furious.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I don't really get it. We play poorly, and we win and people go on about the performance not mattering. Then we lose, and all of the sudden the performance is the most important thing.

How does that work? do we just pick and choose what's important?