Post-Match discussion: Man Utd v. LFC 1-0

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
This evening post match thread is why i have avoided posting for two weeks, given the "positive" spin being given to another loss. I'm happy that we have got ten points in the first five games but, we are out of a cup competition early again!!

I didn't watch the game but to me, we have lost the last two matches. That is not a good pattern. We have to win our next few games otherwise it's back to the inconsistency of past seasons.

I don't care if we have played ok so far and won 1-0, we've won and that's what counts. Forget positives, on this site we would moan if we had won 8-0 tonight.

I just want to have a season where we grind out results, play to win until the final whistle and finish in the top four

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Hope in your heart said:
On another day, we would have won this game. Think about Luis' shot on the bar, or Moses' diving header which De Gea was lucky to get out. The performance was way better than Southampton, and that's a positive we should take from tonight. It's the clinical touch we lack for the time being, but there is no reason it can't change again, like it did last season.

As for our defending on corners, we are still shaky at times, although tonight, we faltered due to a lack of concentration right at the beginning of the second half, more than due to bad defensive organization. All other corners were no problem for us.

I may be too optimistic, but I think we'll get better and results will take up again, hopefully as soon as against Sunderland. Fingers crossed.
Yes it was better but that wouldnt be difficult really. Set pieces are pants at both ends but our main problem is in the middle of the park Hope. Lucas and Gerrard look wasted to me. I know Lucas gets unfair stick at times but he's as slow as me Granny and shes been dead for years. I hate to say it but it looks like Stevies legs are gone to me.

Suarinho

did anyone else notice that Gerrard and Enrique went out of their way not to pass to each other !

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
We played better compared to the weekend game, but in all honesty it would have been literally impossible to play worse. We still never, ever looked like scoring though. It's becoming a major worry, not just the lack of goals in the second half but the general lack of goals. Other than the first two games, where we scored one goal each, we haven't scored a proper goal vs premier league opposition. The goals against Swansea were gifts, while we scored from a corner while United playing at Anfield. This all was with Coutinho still in the side. Even then we were already struggling for goals. Since he's been injured, we've played 180 minutes without ever looking like scoring. So early into the season, it's already becoming a major worry and weakness.

Already there are a lot of parallels which can be drawn between Kenny's second season in charge and our current campaign. Both came after a pretty good second half of the previous season, during which loads of goals were scored. Both seasons started off with a more defensive mind set, resulting in the amount of goals scored becoming an issue. Both season we started decently in terms of performances, after which we quickly nosedived and the results along with it. Dare I say it, but both transfer windows were conspicuous in the lack of proving a back up for Lucas.

For me, the role Lucas plays in the team is possibly the most important of all. On his very best, he provides an almost impossible barrier for the opposition to come through, intercepting every threat. This allows our attack-minded players far more freedom and as a result the team is much more threatening. Although he's improved this season compared to last, he certainly can't provide this level of player during 90 minutes. Possibly he'll never will. Yet with that role being so crucial for the team, you have to wonder why a backup was ignored during the summer and instead we got 3 cb's.

adamc249390

rupzzz said:
Welbeck is hardly a key player for them, and neither is Valencia. Both are considerably poorer than Kagawa might I add. Fellaini was cup tied, not rested.
Welbeck and Valencia are far established/important players than kagawa. I thought kagawa was pretty poor tonight for his standards but would love a player of his quality here.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
ILLOK said:
If you didn't already know, United have a proper fucking squad. Much much better than ours, this isn't new.

We sorely miss Johnson and Coutinho, Agger is also out though we have adequate replacements for him. They still had some top players on show and we had Sturridge who looked gassed out from minute uno.

We know our squad is still pretty poor and this game showed it that bit further. That being said, it's United away. Stop whinging about losing to their b team when we beat their A team only 3 weeks ago for fucks sake
Its just the same old excuses - we can always find excuses. Who assembled the squad we dont have? The only other striker we have is out on fkcing loan! £40m spent in the summer and I dont see any improvement.

We might have beat a few teams this season but we haven't played really well at all. We have ground out results and got lucky, won ugly. Now its beginning to show. Stop making excuses - its results that count, not that we played well and should have won, keep saying that and you can get relegated. A lot need to wake up. We used to send our B team to win in the league cup but you wont remember that.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Barnestormer said:
Its just the same old excuses - we can always find excuses. Who assembled the squad we dont have? The only other striker we have is out on fkcing loan!£40m spent in the summer and I dont see any improvement.

We might have beat a few teams this season but we haven't played really well at all. We have ground out results and got lucky, won ugly. Now its beginning to show. Stop making excuses - its results that count, not that we played well and should have won, keep saying that and you can get relegated. A lot need to wake up. We used to send our B team to win in the league cup but you wont remember that.
That's something I really don't get. Bringing in Aspas and loaning out Borini. 9m quid that's cost us, and it's no better. We'd have been better leaving it alone and buying Will Hughes. I get Alberto and Ilori and young, but that's a lot of money lashed on 'young' and surely they should be playing at least a minor role.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Mascot88 said:
And we beat their A Team. Swings and roundabouts, innit.
Did we really 'beat' their A team or did we just get a result. I remember a nicked goal and then a lot of deep defending.

Afraid I am begining to Question Rodgers; hope Dane doesnt catch me, given how much I defended him last season. I dont see an improvement from last season on or off the pitch. We've got plenty CBs though!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Barnestormer said:
Did we really 'beat' their A team or did we just get a result. I remember a nicked goal and then a lot of deep defending.

Afraid I am begining to Question Rodgers; hope Dane doesnt catch me, given how much I defended him last season. I dont see an improvement from last season on or off the pitch. We've got plenty CBs though!
Are you joking?

slufsar

so many signings this summer and yet sturridge, gerrard and lucas have to play every game. what kind of transfer strategy is that? spending all that money on ilori, aspas and alberto when you're either not gonna use them or play them out of position. completely illogical

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Barnestormer said:
Oh FFS. Of course we beat them. It was one nil. We had complete control of that game and I only recall a half chance for RvP that remotely threatened.

Flip side is we had Utd pinned back for much of this game, so I suppose they didn't 'beat' us either.

Ridiculous argument.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
ILLOK said:
Are you joking?
No I am not I am serious. We ground out a win - thats all we seem to have done this season. I have genuinely got concerns, we should be blistering out of the blocks - to me, we have just wasted £40m and have basically fkc all to show for it in the 1st team.

If we had just bought one quality player it would have made more difference. I dont see that player, except for Mignolet.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Barnestormer said:
No I am not I am serious. We ground out a win - thats all we seem to have done this season. I have genuinely got concerns, we should be blistering out of the blocks - to me, we have just wasted £40m and have basically fkc all to show for it in the 1st team.

If we had just bought one quality player it would have made more difference. I dont see that player, expect for Mignolet.
THIS DISRESPECT MAKES KOLO ANGRY!!!

slufsar

Barnestormer said:

If we had just bought one quality player it would have made more difference. I dont see that player, expect for Mignolet.
takes time to gel, bro. my father always told me that when i was 12 year olds and i said i didnt like him.

thats what rodgers should tell his players aswell. that, yo, takes time to gel lads.

apart from that, i agree. we've bought players to sit on the bench or to play out of position. i want to die. i want to be sexy

yiannos33

Believe
We might of played better than the weekend game,but if we can't score,we can't win.
Also we need to stop giving goals away on corners.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Mascot88 said:
Oh FFS. Of course we beat them. It was one nil. We had complete control of that game and I only recall a half chance for RvP that remotely threatened.

Flip side is we had Utd pinned back for much of this game, so I suppose they didn't 'beat' us either.

Ridiculous argument.
Just continuing to chomp at the bit, but now in ISMF honour.

The possession for that game was 43/57 in Scum favour. Its not that a ridiculous argument. :mellow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23830980

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
It's sad because of another poor goal we've conceded, so typical for us and we really lacked the final pass today, can't remember the last time we had so many situations in and around the box in a game at the Toilet but no real understanding, cutting edge or a proper shot or two on goal from open play. That was a very good opportunity to bounce back and give United another kick.

Too many wrong decisions in our front 3 today, wrong pass, players adjusting to their stronger foot instead of just pass it/shoot, bad shot, 2 players going in the same direction or the same ball... pity.

Thought Brendan did well with the formation, with 3 at the back we could pass it out of the back better, minimalize Skrtel and Sakho building as a duo from the back who are not very good on the ball. This is something he should've done before or at half time against Southampton, that was an awful sight how we never managed to start playing in that game.

Moses obviously isn't a player who has the brain of a midfielder but with Henderson doing a job on the right he obviously felt we needed some physical strength in front of Lucas and Gerrard and behind Luis and Sturridge. Did okay in this game although in a game at home against a deep sitting opponent this is probably not what you would do. But we broke through their midfield many times through sheer physicality, winning challenges/second balls, but lacked a bit of class with the final touch - Coutinho really is our only player able to do that consistently even if his form so far this season is far from the end of last season (as expected).

We'll take out the positives and I believe for the time (with a lack of full backs, Enrique not being 100% and Kelly just returning - we'll need at Jose to start at Sunday and Jordan can do a job on the right) this 3 at the back formation isn't a bad option and should be considered to keep it against Sunderland. Have a look at Moses' position and see if we want something different there, maybe play with two inside forwards and 1 striker or whatever. Agger to come in for Sakho if he's fit.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Personally I was heartened by this defeat - Yes it was against Manure and it always hurts losing to them and Yes we're out of the cup early doors again however...

Tonight we saw BR having one of his realisation moments in terms of the tactics employed, he seems to have these. We bumble along a little and then he changes things and we're back in control again.

We played well tonight, had it not been for an un-sharp Suarez and a Sturridge who clearly had his Left & Right boots mixed up we'd have probably won.

Honourable mention to Kolo, it makes me smile when I see him on the edge of the 18 yard box for some reason

R

RedRiot

Did we really "beat" AC Milan in 2005? We really just had a good 15 minute spell. Had to beat them on a dodgy penalty shootout.

Defuz

The good:
Very happy with our possession and control, especially early.

Some great signs of things to come as we’re so much more threatening with Suarez up front.

Lucas and Henderson were work horses in midfield and their distribution was generally good.

Sahko is very settled in the back, and our defense is looking very difficult to get through.

The not as good:
Obviously our last touch to goal is off after Suarez’ suspension. We shot when we should have passed, passed when we should have shot too often. Too many heads in hands after zigging when we should have zagged resulting in too few opportunities when the openings were there.

Stevie still needs a break, and we need more creativity in the middle. When Coutinho’s back I’d leave Hendo and Lucas in and give Stevie that breather. (I’d like to add Mata, not Xabi who’s too old and doesn't have the legs we need.)

We wore down, and became more vulnerable on the break as the game progressed.

Enrique was an upgrade LB, but didn’t light the world on fire.

Sturridge is a great CF, but I don’t like his game a step or two back. We may need a different forward partner for Suarez. I hope these two can figure out a partnership, but either way, we need another dedicated forward to add to the options/rotation.

Sterling and Kelly brought nothing. Once we went to the bench we got no punch to add to the fight.

Looking forward to Johnson’s return so Toure can return to the middle or a more likely backup role.

I know it’s a loss which we will lament, but I liked the amount of control we had, and see some room for some quick improvement. With one of the three roads to silver now gone, we have all the more to give to a top 4 finish, which is the primary goal.
Encouragingly to my eyes, Manure (admittedly without RVP) at their best, when compared to us at our best, are not as good. They’re deeper, but starters to starters, I think we’re better. If you disagree and say we’re not, I’d counter and say maybe I’m overly confident, and admit maybe we’re not this minute, but in the very near future I believe we will be.

NZred

The Red From NZ
The poo thing is our last 3 matches now read 1 draw and 2 losses. Pretty rubbish.

OhYaBeauty

A good amount of positives here despite the result:
  • Without Coutinho we still produced lots of quality chances
  • The 3-4-1-2/5-2-1-2 worked out surprisingly well, despite not being well practiced and featuring a couple of players (Moses, Henderson) out of position
  • Plenty of creativity and good offensive games from Moses, Enrique (whom I generally lambast for lack of quality in the attacking third) and Henderson
  • Suarez looks hungry and shouldn't take long to get firing; he created several chances for himself and others tonight
  • Martin Kelly got back on the pitch for the first team
  • Gerrard and Lucas stopped their slide in form
And I know people will say we can't praise the performance with such a result, and I know people will say we should prioritize cups, but I can sleep happy tonight knowing we played alright and, though we lost, it was only the league cup.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Don't like defeat at any time but against the mancs it's the pants.

Out of a cup early again,seems we don't worry about them, anymore.But then he plays Sturridge,Lucas and SG with a league game on Sunday, don't get it!

We put out close to our best team, couldn't really call Moyes's line up his top team, but never easy at OT.

Most of us thought the summer window was pretty good, but he seems to have lost patience with Aspas,already? and seems a bit reluctant to give Ilori a run, would have thought on for Lucas who doesn't seem to have 90 mins in him now.

Positives, better than Soton,and Sakho had a decent outing,Toure useful again and good to see Luis back, although a tad rusty!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Didn't watch it, not particularly in the mood for yet more disappointment glad to here we were a bit more forceful even without any cutting edge.

Canuck33

Banned Users
OhYaBeauty said:
A good amount of positives here despite the result:

• Without Coutinho we still produced lots of quality chances
  • The 3-4-1-2/5-2-1-2 worked out surprisingly well, despite not being well practiced and featuring a couple of players (Moses, Henderson) out of position
  • Plenty of creativity and good offensive games from Moses, Enrique (whom I generally lambast for lack of quality in the attacking third) and Henderson
  • Suarez looks hungry and shouldn't take long to get firing; he created several chances for himself and others tonight
  • Martin Kelly got back on the pitch for the first team
  • Gerrard and Lucas stopped their slide in form
And I know people will say we can't praise the performance with such a result, and I know people will say we should prioritize cups, but I can sleep happy tonight knowing we played alright and, though we lost, it was only the league cup.
That pretty much says it for me, with the exception of that bit about Gerrard and Lucas,

I actually think that a 3-4-1-2 might work just fine for us considering the playing staff, even when everyone is available. We've got plenty of CBs. Johnson and Enrique offer lots of width in attack and are great at tracking back, Kelly, Wisdom and Sissokho are available as well as Henderson and Moses. We wouldn't need an out and out DM and could therefore rotate Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson and Allen for the 2 in the middle of the 4. Obviously Coutinho would be the first choice for the 1 behind the strikers, with Suarez, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen and Alberto being available there as well. Up front the go to pairing would be Suarez and Sturridge, with Aspas and Moses as back-up.

Would like to see this when the lads are available

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Thought the lads played great
Unfortunate that we were out of sync in front of the goal
Raheem is no Fairclough - we bring him on to get goals and he's ineffective
MOTM Enrique
Good to have Martin S un-zombied and back engaged
Agree with comments on summer signings - where are they?

Clive

The problem with that formation for me is the lack of goals in the midfield 4. We need to find a way of getting our midfield on the scoresheet, both centrally and from wide areas, or it's going to be a long season. Or we need to get a new, free scoring midfielder!